Ford EcoSport 408 76.55%
Renault Duster 125 23.45%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:32   #151
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

I would need a 7 seater. When would Ford or someone launch a 7 seater in the same space with incremental pricing just as the Ertiga has done to Ritz!
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:51   #152
BHPian

The EcoSport is definitely the one for me when compared to the Duster simply because it has better looks and interiors. Otherwise the Duster is the more 'SUV' looking thanks to its bigger dimensions. Therefore, as I want best of both the worlds-- I am desperately waiting for the Nissan Terrano, which may share the same interiors with the Duster, will definitely have all new exteriors and I am happy with that. The Duster's exteriors are just too BLAND for me, especially those awfully boring tail lights. uuurghh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I would need a 7 seater. When would Ford or someone launch a 7 seater in the same space with incremental pricing just as the Ertiga has done to Ritz!
There is news that Honda would be bringing in a 7 seater MPV based on the Brio with a disel heart but that will take an year I guess. Patience is a virtue my firend.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd July 2013 at 21:17.
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

EcoSport 1.5 AT it is for me.

I am looking for a nice automatic daily commuter that is not too big. Basically a hot hatch, with automatic. THought the Polo 1.2 TSI was it but the wife voted it out due the back seat. No such problem with the EcoSport.

So, it was not a Duster vs EcoSport fight for me; rather it is winning the auto match for people who like driving, want a small car but dont want puny car.
Old 2nd July 2013, 17:04   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
The so called "AVERAGE" Indian easily manages to fit 5-6 people in an average indian hatch. ES's rear bench is not wide enough when compared to the real SUVs, but barring Punto(it looks big, but I dont really know if it has got good space) and Liva, I don't think any other hatch has a wider bench than ES (correct me if I am wrong), but they sell like hot cakes and are called 5 seaters.
I am inclined to guess Tata Indica might have equal if not more seat (width) space, as the EcoSport. Surely Mahindra Vibe (that new hatch) will have more space than EcoSport (it's a logan derivative after all).

But I agree with you, I don't see any current hatchback comfortably seating 3 adults (maybe other than logan vibe and/or Tata Indica), more comfortably than the EcoSport. Most hatchbacks seem to just about accomodate them (can't say certainly that they'll be comfortable). Even Punto may be the same as EcoSport (and maybe not more). Which is why it surprises me that only EcoSport is being sidelined to be specifically termed a 4 seater.

Off topic: I think Fiat, if they ever read this post, will love you (probably send you a gift) for calling the Punto a hot seller. (nothing against Punto, just a joke).

Last edited by k_ajay : 2nd July 2013 at 17:08.
Old 2nd July 2013, 17:16   #155
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So everyone pays a premium for something or the other. Similarly in car buying some may be ready to pay premium for a vehicle which goes to service center only when service is needed.
So for each, his/her own poison!
All points appreciated. However, if one looks at Toyota, Honda and Suzuki Internationally, they are considered pretty much on par with each other, the same way that the Hyundai, Kia etc are.

My grouse was that neither Toyota nor Honda truly deserve a premium over Suzuki in that sense for equivalent product. Indeed the correct parallel would be the Etios and Amaze which do not deserve any kind of premium over the Swift DZire.

Its just that unfortunately, poor old Maruti has been allied with Suzuki here for twenty years and were quite content to sell cheap hatchbacks and de-engineered sedans and antediluvian 4x4s without any improvements being made for ages and on account of that, the consumer has kind of re-calibrated Toyota and Honda as 'more premium'. this fact is also quite possibly on account of their later entry and initial offering(s) being in the more expensive segment.

This brings me to a classic impasse in brand building - it is relatively easier to slowly slither down the value chain having initially established ones self as a premium ( read more expensively priced) brand but it is well nigh impossible to do the reverse journey. We see examples in front of us like poor old Maruti's attempts with the Grand Vitara and the Kizashi.

Having said all of the above, I agree it is different strokes for different folks.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:09   #156
BHPian

Ecosport is a 4 seater. Big deal. If you are part of a HUF, better get a Force Traveller, as even the Duster wouldn't help. For the typical Indian middle class nuclear family, Ecosport makes perfect sense.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:24   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I am inclined to guess Tata Indica might have equal if not more seat (width) space, as the EcoSport.
=======
Off topic: I think Fiat, if they ever read this post, will love you (probably send you a gift) for calling the Punto a hot seller. (nothing against Punto, just a joke).
Lol, no, I was not talking about punto being a hot seller, but about hatchbacks in general ala Swift, Polo. And yes you are right, I missed the TATAs, they may be comparable to ES. The other day I went to check out the ES, the rear was accomodating enough. While seat width was average, leg room was ok, the lumbar support was good and seat height was generous . I found it better than most low slung hatches and sedans. Don't know what the hoopla is about.
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:08   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I am inclined to guess Tata Indica might have equal if not more seat (width) space, as the EcoSport. Surely Mahindra Vibe (that new hatch) will have more space than EcoSport (it's a logan derivative after all).
Indica indeed has slightly (only very slightly) more rear width than Ecosport but it is let down by not having a proper place to rest the hands and less under-thigh support.

In Ecosport eventhough the rear width is slightly less but it is actually more comfortable than Indica due to the reclined seats and arm holders in the doors plus the slightly higher underthigh support.

Actually i would rate the Ecosport option pack to be even better than non option pack since it does not force the rear occupants into a bucket seat arrangement (and hence forcing themselves on the middle occupant) like the Fabric seats and tapers flat at the edges which makes 3 rear occupants more or less as comfortable.

Could it have been better ? Maybe but none of the cars which i TD'ed like the Rapid, Vento or Verna was it any better for 3 occupants and hence i had booked Ecosport Titanium option pack. If money was not an issue , i would have bought XUV500 and i would recommend XUV500 for carrying 5 occupants for anyone willing to spend around 14L-15L. In the 10L segment there is not much of any options for Diesel buyers.
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:22   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Lol, no, I was not talking about punto being a hot seller, but about hatchbacks in general ala Swift, Polo. And yes you are right, I missed the TATAs, they may be comparable to ES. The other day I went to check out the ES, the rear was accomodating enough. While seat width was average, leg room was ok, the lumbar support was good and seat height was generous . I found it better than most low slung hatches and sedans. Don't know what the hoopla is about.
lol, ok (Sorry, Fiat ). Yeah I don't understand as well. The ES has fantastic legroom and good (if not great) under thigh support. Indeed the seating position coupled with useful GC, etc. makes it a better choice when compared against the right sedans and hatchbacks. I also liked the recline angles in the ES. Upright for those who want to take care of their backs, medium for people who can't decide (lol) and a relaxed position for the highway drives, when people just want to lay back. Well thought out by Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Indica indeed has slightly (only very slightly) more rear width than Ecosport but it is let down by not having a proper place to rest the hands and less under-thigh support.

In Ecosport eventhough the rear width is slightly less but it is actually more comfortable than Indica due to the reclined seats and arm holders in the doors plus the slightly higher underthigh support.

Actually i would rate the Ecosport option pack to be even better than non option pack since it does not force the rear occupants into a bucket seat arrangement (and hence forcing themselves on the middle occupant) like the Fabric seats and tapers flat at the edges which makes 3 rear occupants more or less as comfortable.

Could it have been better ? Maybe but none of the cars which i TD'ed like the Rapid, Vento or Verna was it any better for 3 occupants and hence i had booked Ecosport Titanium option pack. If money was not an issue , i would have bought XUV500 and i would recommend XUV500 for carrying 5 occupants for anyone willing to spend around 14L-15L. In the 10L segment there is not much of any options for Diesel buyers.
Right and sure, I wasn't in anyway trying to insinuate that the Indica was in anyway better than the ES. Was only trying to bring in a point that the indica could be a vehicle with equal or more seat width (only).

You're right about the width space in other cars as well. Which is why it makes a very good case for the ES to sell on the 'similar' seat width, with great legroom, u-t support and host of other goodies and features (depending on the variant/trim one ends up choosing).

Congrats on your booking and hope you get the vehicle soon. Which engine did you go with (if we can know)?
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:33   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your booking and hope you get the vehicle soon. Which engine did you go with (if we can know)?
Once a Diesel guy, always a Diesel guy (at-least in India ). I have booked the Titanium O in the Diesel trim. It was not lightning quick but had enough juice to overtake trucks and buses but the biggest selling point for me was the NVH (after driving a tractor for 8 years).

Probably the only diesel vehicle in the 10L segment to have such a good NVH levels for a Diesel.
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:45   #161
BHPian

Its the Renault Duster most likely upgrade for the Vista.

Need: Upgrade for Vista D. (1st anniv edition) history: its been only 3.5 yrs, 1,02,000 kms on ODO!!! Phew! For a field work kind of job around the districts & taluk HQs Duster seems to be best bet, 85 BHP RXL (O). The test drive was very convincing. EcoSport test drive did not happen due to long queue @ lathangi (2 hrs waiting). Just checking out the display model - Rear seat+ trunk space was say off Duster.
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:54   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But I agree with you, I don't see any current hatchback comfortably seating 3 adults (maybe other than logan vibe and/or Tata Indica), more comfortably than the EcoSport.
I'd like to think that the Indica Vista, Etios Liva, Chevrolet Sail U-VA and even the luke-warm Honda Jazz can accommodate 3 at the back in reasonable comfort. The Jazz though, has a pretty stiff ride and the seat-bottom isn't exactly long enough. Under thigh support is seriously lacking and the seat-back recline isn't great for long drives.

The Verito Vibe is still a sedan, in the most technical sense.
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:54   #163
BHPian

Had owned a Duster 110 RXL for 9 months & 20K kms and now awaiting delivery of Ecosport D TITANIUM OPTION in a couple of days, here’s my take on both the Vehicles (Opinions on Ecosport is purely based on the Two test drives I had undertaken)
Duster Good Points:
- Unshakable at any speed, No pitching and Bobbing at all
- Terrific mid-range punch and Refined Engine
- Butch Looks
- Usable GC
- 6 speed gearbox
- Nice Boot Space and neat parcel tray with additional Charging point
- Rear seat width
- Great mileage at steady speeds of around 90 kph, Got 17-18 kpl as per MID
- Good braking
- Top marks for MRF wanderers for Good Grip levels and braking
Duster Negatives, Niggles & Irritants
- Hard and non-progressive clutch
- Poor interior design and Hard Plastics doesn’t make cabin a really nice place to be in, never liked the interiors right from day one
- No Climate Control & AC couldn’t cope with peak South Indian Summer
- Poorly kitted and Down on Safety Kit, No Airbags & ESP
- Doesn’t Have Alloys wheels for a car costing Rs.12.6 Lacs On Road in A.P
- Ride comfort not as good in Non Alloy wheel versions due to greater Unsprung weight
- Poor front seat lower back support
- Tiring on long non-stop journeys due to not so comfortable seats, heavy clutch and constant wind noise.
- Turbo lag below 2000 rpm
- Fuel efficiency is extremely speed sensitive 90 KPH- 17 to 18 kpl, 100-110 kph 14.5-15 kpl, 110-120 kph 12.5 to 14 kpl, above 120 10.5 to 12.5, never seen such variation in fuel average in any Vehicle I’ve owned till now. Worst mileage is lower than what I used to get from 2 Ton 140 BHP 2.2 Liter Safari VVT at similar speeds.
- Really wide Door sill soils your clothes with accumulated dirt from the road and makes Ingress and egress difficult especially to the back seat.
- Rear leg space less than most Hatches
- Had steering rattle right from the day of delivery, service center failed to identify and rectify during first service so I didn’t even bother them at second service as the problem hadn’t got worse and I learned to live with it!
- Wheels were also not balanced properly from the factory, brand new vehicle had steering wobble at 100+ speeds, was taken care by the service center and was charged for the Weights which were supposed to be there in the first place, and probably wheel balancing weights do not come as part of the standard equipment on the Renault Duster
- MRF Tyres were silent till first 15000 kms then onwards started making very light drumming noise.
- Wider track leads in everything getting sprayed up by the front tyres landing on rear wheel arches and on rear door handles, which really feel yucky to hold specially after a drive in the rain,This also a problem with the rear boot release button on the hatch which gets dirty and there is not internal release mechanism.
Ecosport Likes:
- Nice interiors, proves lower cost doesn’t mean cheaper looking and poor design
- Loaded to the gills with features and safety Kit
- Offers a Really nice driving experience with silent cabin, light steering, refined engine, no turbo lag, nice gear box and progressive& light clutch
- Nice alloy wheel design
- Good OE sound system
- Concept car looks, though the rear is a little boxy and uninspiring compared to rest of the car
- Predictable and effortless handling till 100-110 kph
- Rear seat great on thigh and back support, though seat width is an issue question is how many times do most of us really have a third passenger in the back seat – Not me at least, maybe couple of times a year at the most.
- Compact dimensions, higher Seating and GC what more can one ask for in mixed highway and city usage.
- Great Expected mileage on par with fuel efficient hatch backs
Ecosport Dislikes:
- Combination of Short wheelbase and High vehicle height leads to a tendency to pitch specially at the rear, which also raises some concerns while tackling mid-corner bumps at high speeds, This definitely is not a Sporty vehicle as the name would suggest, I strongly advice people to go easy on the speed and be extra careful if are going above 110+ speeds
- Isn’t a real FORD when it comes to handling and doesn’t do justice to the legend
- No grab handles on Titanium Option variant can be a real issue for passengers as the vehicle has a tendency to pitch
- Rear parcel tray design has an ugly gap between the seat and the tray
- Blind spots abound, even the bonnet design contributes to it at a point where it visually meets the A pillar
- Except Mars Red lack of good colour options fit enough for such a funky looking vehicle, I wonder how Squeeze and Colorado red would’ve looked on Ecosport – Can someone do a paintshop job on the Ecosport?
- Front seats are supportive but seriously lack under thigh support (I am 6’1”), the seat base seems to have been lifted straight from the Figo, only visible compromise as a result of possible cost reduction techniques.
- OE Tyres didn’t inspire much confidence and seems to be less on grip levels, seriously considering an upgrade to 225/55 16 tyres after purchase but that size is getting difficult to source as of now.
- Fords dubious strategy to make dealers happy at the expense of customers: Non Uniform handling/Logistics charges, High insurance quotes (Higher by as much as 20K), supposedly compulsory accessories and extended warranty which itself if priced higher.
- Ford should have launched the Diesel with Dual Clutch Auto box which at a price of around Rs.13 lacs would have found many takers and made the already extensive Ecosport range complete. It would’ve won variant of the Decade award if any such thing was ever announced!

As someone who has owned a Duster and about to buy an Ecosport I hope I’ve covered most aspects for others to take a realistic and practical view on both the vehicles rather than going with the Flow.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP and use them normally. Do not try to bypass board rules. Please take this as a reminder.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd July 2013 at 08:09.
autohead is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 05:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
WoW! Thats a whooping 2.5 Lakh price difference

I think Renault-Nissan would work out a healthy strategy with the price for the upcoming Nissan Terrano which is a badge engineered Duster, but that might just kill the Duster!

Ford has put Renault-Nissan in an interesting situation!
Poor Nissan, their bad luck streak refuses to end. According to the agreement they have with Renault, vehicles from the Renault stable that are re-badged as Nissan will have to be priced higher and vice-versa. You can see that in the pricing of the Scala and Pulse, now with the Duster it is reverse, so the Terrano is going to be priced higher than the Duster, I'm afraid its going to be still-born!

What Renault needs right now is a double whammy, Mahindra should come out with a W4 and W2 XUV
Old 3rd July 2013, 06:38   #165
BHPian

As a Duster owner now with about 1500 kms behind me, I can safely say that I have no regrets. I guess the biggest plus for the Ecosport is the price and hence makes it a good VFM unlike the exorbitantly priced Duster in all ranges.

I could like to break the comparison points into 3 broad areas namely a)Drive and handling, b) Exterior /road presence and c) Interiors, styling & comfort.

Drive and Handling:
Duster wins hands down in this department. Even the 85 RXL (O) does pretty good on city roads and highways alike. The punch of the 110 is missed though on the highway but is surely a good package with excellent driveability in city traffic conditions. In short it is a breeze. There is good steering control and roll back, excellent maneuverability and tops it with a turning radius (5.2) of much smaller cars. Suspension is excellent and all bumps and speed breakers seem so insignificant. I can see a mileage on a 50% city-highway driving to about 15 kmpl as per the MID.

Eco sport is a decent vehicle no doubt and works well on the roads too, the drive though not as good as the Duster. You can feel the bumps and speed breakers prominently where the Duster would breeze through. Steering pull back is not something to talk about. Did not see to many experiences or comments on the mileage and hence cannot comment

Exterior /Road presence
Not much to say here, it is surely the duster here. Ecosport almost looks an oversized car / not a SUV for sure and with disproportional wheels to match.

Interiors /Comfort
There are no second opinions here. The duster fails miserably here. Ecosport on the other hand is loaded to the brim with everything one would ask for - Automatic climate control, 6 safety bags, plush premium interiors, higtech sound system, and integrated one at that with all what would expect in 10Lac car. Duster on the other hand is bare bone with very poor ergonomics such as the OVRMs control under the handbrake!, no speed sensing locks and many more sore points. Renault has cut too many corners here and will be serious trouble if they don't anything about these.
Having said that, it is all a matter of individual choice and preferences and weighing the pros and cons.

In all both are great introductions to the Indian SUV scene. Just a matter of individual choices and how much you weigh one over the other.
sunny13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks