Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 11:11   #106
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

To Heavy Horse, Mohit, and All,

Just got confirmation from the dealership that there's a misprint in the Toyota Fortuner Brochure regarding ABS, EBD and BA.

Apparently, Fortuner AT has it all, i.e. ABS + EBD + BA.

If you carefully read the Fortuner Brochure you will see that these features have a tilda character next to them and down below (fine print) it says these features are only available in MT 4x4. Dealer confirmed that this is a misprint.

I am feeling much better!
Old 27th September 2013, 11:58   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How would you rate the AT box? Is there any lag that is generally associated with AT boxes. If yes how bad is it? How is acceleration of the car say if you put down your foot on the gas pedal from standstill? Finding an AT TD vehicle is proving to be a difficult task.
Gear shifts are quite smooth and efficient. I am usually in 2nd gear moving slowly or going over bumps. It shifts to second gear quickly and that's good. If you slam your foot on the gas, the beast zooms - very exciting! Overtaking is a breeze.

I've driven AT cars for over 20 years so I can tell if an AT box is not great. I think Fortuner's AT box is pretty good.

One thing to keep in mind: If engine breaking is one of your requirements then don't buy AT. Like most AT cars, Fortuner AT loves to free wheel. Once you bring it up to a sweet spot speed for a given gear ratio it tends to free wheel a lot unless you're riding on an incline. That actually helps in getting the best FE out of the beast.

Fyi: TDs of AT variant is easily available in Bangalore at all dealerships. Hope you get a TD soon.
Old 27th September 2013, 12:06   #108
BHPian

Hi Mohit,

I doubt you able to secure a TD at Narmada Toyota. I went there twice and both times they've flatly refused to arrange a TD as they don't have a vehicle for it. On my persistence they took be back to show the interiors of the owners Fortuner and that's it!

Securing a Fortuner in the used car market here in Baroda will be difficult but will surely keep my ears to the ground in case something comes up.

I still believe the new 5-speed box AT will make the perfect case for you. You'll find some very confidence inspiring Fortuner AT ownership threads on the forum.
Old 27th September 2013, 12:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Found this in our very own classifieds:

Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner-capture.png

EDIT: Just read the description

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Fortuner.html/

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 27th September 2013 at 12:30. Reason: Edit note inline
Old 27th September 2013, 13:06   #110
BHPian

Hi,
We own the XUV 5OO AWD and know someone close who owns a T-Fort! Both cars have now run 80000+ kms. Both of us agree that comparitively, the Fortuner commands a better road presence (XUV does get its share too). The Fortuner is clearly the better choice for those once in a blue moon off road urges. Third row seats are definitely better on the Fortuner.
On the other hand, XUV is MUCH more comfortable and can be felt especially on the highway drives. Returns better fuel economy. Can handle any sort of motorable road with ease.Feature list is so extensive that its pointless to even make a comparison.Our vehicle was from the first lot and the niggles we experienced were minimum. It wasn't so bad that would make someone spend another 10L as an alternative. We did have a Fortuner ready for delivery before we picked up the XUV and were still contemplating on buying it till recently when we cancelled the booking.

If its all about buying a status car and a better off road performer, I'd buy the Fortuner any day. If its all about utility and value for money, XUV works completely fine for me. Even the small things like cornering lamps make you feel good at times and gets you wondering if you actually think that the XUV at this price is a steal. Toyota A.S.S is brilliant. But Mahindra sure have ensured to keep us satisfied too and I can list quite a few reasons for the same.

Good luck and congrats in advance on your purchase!
gubbi555 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 13:39   #111
BHPian

gubbi555, Excellent summarization. And it is in sync with the comments that I posted.
My friend (neighbor) owns both Fortuner and XUV, and one of the reasons he likes to drive his Fortuner is to impress his clients. My friend says that his Fortuner is a real eye turner.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:44   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
My friend (neighbor) owns both Fortuner and XUV, and one of the reasons he likes to drive his Fortuner is to impress his clients. My friend says that his Fortuner is a real eye turner.
Well that is indeed the reason for the phenomenal sales figures that the Fortuner sees each month. Most of these beasts sold are more of "Mall SUVs" with minimal to zero offroading. But it is the aspirational value of the vehicle and the image associated with it, that is driving the sales. And I would have to shamelessly admit that I also want to buy it for similar reasons.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Well that is indeed the reason for the phenomenal sales figures that the Fortuner sees each month. Most of these beasts sold are more of "Mall SUVs" with minimal to zero offroading. But it is the aspirational value of the vehicle and the image associated with it, that is driving the sales. And I would have to shamelessly admit that I also want to buy it for similar reasons.
Not just you doctor but well almost each and everyone of us here would do the same if we have that much of an amount in our hands.

I have been in Forutuner (my uncle's) and let me tell you I felt like a king getting down from the car at the "le royal meridien" hotel. It somehow gives you that great feeling. It's like that era when kings use to ride on elephants and in today's world I guess SUV's (especially big ones like Fortuner's)
Old 27th September 2013, 15:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of people are very skeptical about buying Fortuners with a high mileage on the odometer. What you dont realize that most of these vehicles inspite of their high mileage still have more juice than you can squeeze out of it.
These Toyotas are built to be bashed and yet wont fall apart. Almost 80% Fortuners are pussyfooted around on highways and attain high mileages.

I would not hesitate to buy a Fortuner with 1 lakh kms on the odometer if it has been well maintained, knowing fully well that it has 2 lakh kms + worth of juice left in it. So, if its a sweet deal for a high mileage and you have a clean vehicle history, just go for it.

For example - You can get a Tfort with high mileage(1 lakh kms) for 13 - 16 lakhs. If vehicle history is clean, buy it. Its well worth the price.

If you are offroad inclined - Get an Ironman / OME suspension lift kit and ARB air lockers (front & rear). Should cost you within 5 -6 lakhs approx(my guess), and you have a go anywhere 4wd for within 21 lakhs and yet save a kool 7 lakhs compared to a new Tfort.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 20:28   #115
BANNED

Quote:

Now reluctantly and after persistent nagging by good friend and member Sameerg001, I included the XUV500 in the list too.

My usage pattern:
1. Need a 7 seater i.e. all the 3 rows.
2. ZERO offroading and the only offroading the car is going to see is what are highways throw at it.
3. Intend to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years. In case of the Fortuner this would be even more as I doubt there is anything coming in the near future which would make me even remotely want to change the Fortuner.
Hi Doc,

Have you forgotten the Toyota Q service at Ahmadabad with the AC unit of your Altis ?

If no, why not give other brands a try ? Your usage pattern can be met by most of the MUVs in the market today. My suggestions:

1. TATA ARIA (Very underrated car, but after 15 months and 19K kms, I can assure you, it is a great vehicle indeed). NIL problems and NIL rattles till date with a consistent 11.7 kpl in Delhi usage with A/C full time in summers.
2. Mahindra-Ssangyong Rexton. This has the potential to take on the Fortuner, but its service network I'm not sure about.
3. XUV - I agree it looks like a pan shop on wheels or a circus truck. But that apart, its great for highways and FE.
Old 27th September 2013, 22:41   #116
BHPian

I'll put in my thoughts as an XUV5OO owner. And yes, although I just got it last week, it is a pre owned car owned by a dear friend, so it is from the first batch (2011).

I have driven the XUV extensively over north indian highways and would strongly recommend it, mainly due to its monocoque construction over the Fortuner's ladder on frame. Since I regularly drive a w124, stability in a straight line and overall sedan like dynamics were a top priority for my choice of SUV. Somewhat like your requirements - I didn't care about the off road behaviour, so didn't need a true blue ladder on frame offroader.

The other contenders in our price band were the Scorpio and Safari Storme. The old gen Safari has unmatchable street cred and the "I-want-that-beast" factor, but on road dynamics weren't short of scary, especially at high speeds. The Storme, though still ladder on frame, is much more sorted. The scorpio? Almost as scary as the Safari. That's what turned me to the XUV - brilliant features, stable at high speeds, and relatively sedan like to drive, even though you have to remember it's a heavy SUV and tricky maneuvers aren't in its stride.

The third row is not great, nor is the over done styling and build - but that grows on you. Overall, the package just makes sense, especially for someone who's primary use is on road and not off it, like yours.

As for reliability, I'm sure it cannot match a Toyota. No claims there. But as I said, the car belonged to a dear friend who works in the same office I do. I have seen and driven it regularly since it was new, and know about each issue faced. There were certainly some niggles, but none were major. Surprisingly, not ONE electronic niggle faced in over a year of ownership. One of the LEDs in the right headlamp gave way, and the light above the vanity mirror on the passenger visor wouldn't work - replaced under warranty, no questions asked. They replaced the entire headlamp, btw, and not just the LED.

Lastly, having driven the Fortuner, I wouldn't be confident doing 120+ speeds on the expressway. It feels bouncy and sways a little. I have comfortably done 150+ on the XUV though, with 8 people on board and a little luggage on the roof rack. For someone who doesn't like boat-y cars and is a Ford / BMW dynamics fan, that's saying quite a bit. It's not a perfect car, and has its own issues (feels built to a cost on the inside, despite the features, etc), but it'll fit your bill to a T. In my opinion, of course!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 00:04   #117
BHPian

Dear Dr.Mohit,
I know that you are not considering the Santa Fe. However, I feel duty bound to request you to reconsider this vehicle. It fits all your needs to a T. It has more features than the fortuner, has a gem of an engine, has been proven to be reliable in Europe (as diesels are sold there) and the US (petrol models), can seat seven, offers and exudes class, The ride is comfortable, the gear ratios are amazing, and it is fuel efficient too. Moreover, there is a belief that Hyundai workshops have not yet plummeted to the depths of other workshops. They are neither high and mighty like the T nor a dump like the M.

The drive on the highways is probably one of the best in the SUV segment in India even considering the luxury makes. Its feature set puts SUV’s more expensive than itself to serious shame. I have driven both the four wheel drive version and the six speed automatic and in my view there is no other SUV in this price range which can match it in any department. The only cons from an Indian perspective, is that it does not have the BUTCH/rugged/old school looks of the T. Apart from the form factor and the associated snob value the Santa Fe infact beats the T.

The ladder on frame design, and equipment levels, engine refinement, power output, efficiency of the T are a much behind the Santa Fe levels. Hell the T comes with drum brakes on the rear. At this price range Toyota should be skinned for providing drum brakes.

Please don’t even consider to try to remember the word rexton. The rexton was a huge joke in Europe. Please do go through the web for details. It is a rebadged old Merc SUV made in Korea by a brand that most in the developed world would rather not be associated with. They would prefer not to drive a car and use public transport than be seen in a rexton.

Santa Fe is as reliable as the T if not more. I request you to drive the Santa Fe a few more times in different scenarios and then make a choice. I know as I said in the first sentence that you are not considering the Santa Fe, but it still merits consideration in my opinion. By the way the price difference is not much when you consider spec for spec…especially the drum brakes.

Wishing you the best!
Old 28th September 2013, 10:27   #118
BHPian

Santa Fe is better than TFort in several ways. I had thought of buying it. I thought it's a no brainer considering my requirements. But then when I tried to find one on the road I saw one in a span of three days or so. Consider these points:
- Nobody seems to be buying Santa Fe. There must be a reason?
- It's 35L on the road, clearly in the territory of few German cars. No wonder I see more Audis, Beamers and Mercs on the road than Santa Fe.
- It's imported. Spare parts could be a issue.
- Hyundai's service is ok - Folks paying over 30L generally expect more
- Having almost decided to buy the Santa Fe, called the dealer for a test drive and I was told that they don't have a TD car, however there's a delivery taking place in couple weeks time, suggest you to drive down to our dealership to checkout the car.
- It's a SUV that looks sophisticated as a luxury car. Aren't SUVs supposed to be tough monsters (at least by looks). That's the reason the Scorpios, Safaris and Tforts of the world are so successful.
- No superior road presence. That Auto guy will cut you knowing you won't dare to risk your baby.
- It was apparent from my interaction with the Hyundai dealer that they were not too keen on selling the Santa Fe. Can't figute out why?
- The fluidic Santa Fe is just around the corner - it's been there for a long time. The question is: should a prospective buyer wait for the fluidic version or go with the existing version that is a bit dated.

Summary: If you happen to see enough Santa Fes on the road in your region/city then by all means considering owning one.
Old 28th September 2013, 13:33   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
Summary: If you happen to see enough Santa Fes on the road in your region/city then by all means considering owning one.
All your point are valid points. Santa Fe is more of a crossover vehicle than a true SUV. Also the price is more than the Fortuner. One thing I have seen is that people, even on the forum, are slightly unaware of Fortuner's features. The new refreshed model has been incorporated with some new features like the ICE, power seat for the driver etc. If you compare it to the Santa Fe, the main features that the Santa Fe has over the Fortuner ( over a quick glance) were number of airbags and a cooled glove box. All the rest of that exhaustive list is full of details of chrome used here and there. Then the service costs of the Santa Fe would be much higher than the Fortuner, more so because it is a CBU. To top it off the resale will be horrible.
Old 28th September 2013, 13:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Remember reading the official review of the Santa Fe on TBHP sometime back. I just couldn't find the thread now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks