Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 08:04   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i wanted to upgrade my 18+ 18 month warranty to an 18+30 month warranty, and my TASS said that it was not possible :(
Go hit them on the head with that link, failing which, escalate. Its amazing how little the dealers seem to know. One question : is this sold by TASC or by the sales folks ?
Old 17th February 2009, 08:09   #137
Senior - BHPian

i know the link, they said that tata isnt the one selling it , its the insurance folks. their excuse was that this can be done only or immediately after purchase, and that the warranty could not be changed afterwards. this was after a few months of running after them to check on this.

I think they offered to sell me the +30 month extended warranty at full price , not the difference with the +18 warranty I already had

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th February 2009 at 08:11.
Old 17th February 2009, 08:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

Well, its a product designed by the insurance guys, but offered by Tata - and listed clearly on their website! It also clearly states that there are multiple periods for which different rates are mentioned - so you certainly can buy it within 421 days of the initial vehicle purchase. The warranty is not being "changed" - its just a separate product called "Extended Warranty" thats being purchased.

Do escalate to Tata Motors directly - either the regional office or the mail-ids that've been mentioned in various other threads.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:06   #139
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick question

I have been offered a Oct 2007 Safari 2.2 VTT VX done 19k for 7.75 Lacs. Is it the right price ?
Old 18th February 2009, 17:18   #140
Senior - BHPian

I prefer 2008 safari 2.2 rather than 2007 because TATA were doing trial and error that time as usual when they launched their new SAFARI. But If you get service history of that 2007 safari and If its in good condition with properly parts repalced under warranty then you can consider buying it.

About price I heard from my many friends car sales under pressure and lot of desperate selling going on. Its not time to buy product from heart, Head should be given work to decide rather than heart!

www.carwale.com can give you picture of aproximate resale value of products although price won't be accurate, it all depends on how you bargain and how seller is ready to come down in price.

Ravi.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have been offered a Oct 2007 Safari 2.2 VTT VX done 19k for 7.75 Lacs. Is it the right price ?
hey milecruncher,

is it a dealer vehicle? or on sale by the owner?
Old 18th February 2009, 17:23   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey milecruncher,

is it a dealer vehicle? or on sale by the owner?
Owner. Company is getting liquidated so owner selling these cars. This is the 2nd Safari being sold by the same people.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:38   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A similar variant Safari 2.2l but 4x4 (read turbanman's safari), fetched him more than 9L, few months back ,with addl. accessories totalling 50k. You can read his blog for details.

But recession is taking its toll nowdays.

Last edited by dadu : 18th February 2009 at 17:42.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:45   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Decent price, check what Carwale has to say -

CarValue | My Valuations | CarWale CarValue - CarWale.com

Last edited by suman : 18th February 2009 at 17:46.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:48   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Decent price, check what Carwale has to say -

CarValue | My Valuations | CarWale CarValue - CarWale.com
Somehow I don't exactly trust these values. Anyways thanks. As per it I'll go and offer 7.35 and see how it moves.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:57   #146
Senior - BHPian

There do seem to be more 3.0ltr Dicors than 2.2 ones. How different are these in terms of maintenance, drive experience (wife will be driving them too) and long distance ability ? Going by what I've gathered, the 2.2s seem to be more refined and the 3.0s seem to have had a host of oil spills initially. Also, I've read that the 3.0 are Tata engines - if they're ok they will last forever (else spill oil every now and then?) - while the 2.2s are sourced from elsewhere? They're also much cheaper in the used market! If under 4L, and decent/reliable enough for long distancing, could look at keeping the OHC as well.

Opinions, folks.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Also, I've read that the 3.0 are Tata engines - if they're ok they will last forever (else spill oil every now and then?) - while the 2.2s are sourced from elsewhere?
Both are Tata engines.

3.0 is old tech. 2.2 is new. If you're going to buy now, it makes no sense to go for a 3.0 unless your budget is not flexible or you would like to save some money.

2.2 takes off like a car and has a much taller top-end. It lacks the mid-range punch of the 3.0, though. The power delivery is like a 'U' - good at both ends but it sags in the middle, especially when compared to the 3.0 which is an inverted U.

3.0 is slower off the blocks unless you do an aggressive take-off, but it will catch up with the 2.2 quite quickly once it gets over its inertia because it has a very strong mid-range.

The 3.0 engine is gruffer and does not have the refined NVH characteristics of the newer engine. Its not the N of NVH thats worse, its the V. My truck is as quiet as the new vehicles now, but it still has the 3.0 vibrations which wont go away. That said, the 2.2 is 'H' at the top end (at the limits) while the 3.0 is nowhere near its limits at its designated (restricted) top-speed and is therefore quite relaxed.

As for the rest, you know the numbers. Its 140-odd bhp against 115 and 320-odd nm against 300.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th February 2009 at 18:19.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:14   #148
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid - thanks for the quick, lucid and precise response

The 2.2 it is - it may take a little time, but the hunt shall continue. Am trying to get some contacts within the finance guys as well, for repossessed ones (am guessing the warranty would still apply).
Old 19th February 2009, 18:37   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
There do seem to be more 3.0ltr Dicors than 2.2 ones. How different are these in terms of maintenance, drive experience (wife will be driving them too) and long distance ability ? Going by what I've gathered, the 2.2s seem to be more refined and the 3.0s seem to have had a host of oil spills initially. Also, I've read that the 3.0 are Tata engines - if they're ok they will last forever (else spill oil every now and then?) - while the 2.2s are sourced from elsewhere? They're also much cheaper in the used market! If under 4L, and decent/reliable enough for long distancing, could look at keeping the OHC as well.

Opinions, folks.
Old diesel engines are very maintenance heavy on the pocket. You can get a used Safari in sub 4L as well but the problem is that they would have covered a lot of miles and you, post your purchase, will have to pay the repair bills.

So my suggestion is if going for a used one, try to stick to something that's not more than 2 years old and don't have too many miles on the clock.
Old 19th February 2009, 21:02   #150
Senior - BHPian

To add to Steeroids inputs, The 3.0 Engine has done Billions of kms on Indian roads in the NA form in the Tata 407 for decades!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks