Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:40   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confusion intensifies

MCR, planning to buy Bolero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Had an opportunity to checkout the Bolero ZLX today.
Wel my worries is maintenance related issues as the truck gets older

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
All the electronic gadgetry is in the VLX
Vikram
My friend, EX is ruled out for obvious reason, if i pick its going to be LX....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I am guessing that you have already considered the Scorpio Ex and chose to skip

Skanda, its because of softer suspension setup, on bad roads Bolero is the king however overall handling i think Scorp rules!
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:29   #212
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Hi Mcr, Did you test drive it? If yes, hows the handling and pick up?
Hi ontheroad, Yes, but the TD was a very short one. The handling is ok, considering its almost a Jeep. But its not in the same league of Scorpio and Xylo.

The pick-up is quiet ok! We were just two peolple in the car while doing the TD. However, mind you, you will not get pushed back in your seat!
With the AC on the pick-up is , lets say, lethargic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
MCR, planning to buy Bolero?
Hi lohith, you comments on this thread and the new Bolero ad on the TV created some interest in me to check-out this vehicle.
Just like you, I eneded up taking the brochure and pricelist of Xylo and Scorpio as well!
Considering the price point and safety features being an option in Xylo, Rs. 10,89,000/- on-road for E8 without ABS, I thought the Scorpio SLE was a better choice at Rs.11,21,000/- on-road.

After a quick analysis, IMHO Scorpio is a better vehicle any given day. Also after looking at the Bolero real close, I think its going to be a difficult task to convince the ladies in the family unless they too are jeepers!

I may be in the market soon for a SUV/MUV. Will have a look at Safari Storme and Ertiga before taking a call.

Last edited by MCR : 23rd January 2012 at 09:31. Reason: typo
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:48   #213
BHPian

You are better of me Lohith, Today I went to M&M dealer just to check once again about the Bolero and to ask them if they can provide me the TD for longer duration so that I can get approval from my family. I was accompanied by my brother-in-law who was my sole supporter in favor of Bolero. As we entered the showroom, we found an unusual rush of the customers, to my surprise it was XUV5OO on display and TD. On one side it was Bolero (already stretched budget) and on the other side it XUV5OO. So we forgot about the Bolero went to see the XUV5OO and since we were already prospective buyers for M&M, we were given an opportunity to TD on priority. We went to a 5 KM drive and luckily it was very close to the ORR expressway/speedway (hyderabad), so was able to give a full boost. I was around 140 in very short span of time may be within 10 mins from the start of the drive. Back to showroom, my brother-in-law already has taken a U-turn on Bolero. Now he wants me to have XUV5OO at any cost. So I think in-laws are the ones who make your budget or break it. Now I am off for XUV5OO but my love still is the same for Bolero, God knows may be I will be back once I am out of my dreams.

Quote:
ok now this is something which i dint expect of went to the M&M showroom today to make decision on Xylo or Bolero but ended up addig Scorpio to the list
Old 24th January 2012, 09:45   #214
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

Just sat in the new Bolero. found it to be very very cramped. The driver's seat was not comfortable for a 6'2" guy like me, even with the seat fully pushed behind. And with the seat in that position, nobody can sit behind me. the space in the middle row was lesser than in my Punto!
Old 24th January 2012, 11:31   #215
Senior - BHPian

Yup, actualy Bolero is not meant for tall people. me being 6.1 found it hard to adjust and am sure long drive wont be fun for knees/leg

Raju, seems like you are looking for excuse to choose XUV instead of Bolero well you can am sure passengers wont like Bolero at all if you put it against XUV or xylo or Scorpio and XUV being a comfortable vehicle am sure Bolero has no chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Just sat in the new Bolero. found it to be very very cramped. The driver's seat was not comfortable for a 6'2" guy like me, even with the seat fully pushed behind. And with the seat in that position, nobody can sit behind me. the space in the middle row was lesser than in my Punto!
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:06   #216
Senior - BHPian

Decision done, its Safari

Well i know many who have been following this thread would be surprised, i had initially ruled Safari out and had not even TD it.

Bolero was my first choice on which i had made up my mind on but after the couple of TD i felt it may not fit me perfectly, the negatives which stood out where the space, seating comfort, high speed(above 80) behavior and very sharp steering...

Though i still feel that Bolero makes a good package if one can live with the above mentioned negatives, but i can say the above negatives is turning down many prospective customers, i think i know few here

So what made me change my mind who almost booked Bolero, the negatives kept pinching my mind and my wife was also not very pleased with the comfort of Bolero which made me think about it, i had not tried Safari so thought will try it before i book Bolero.

Safari was a class apart, seating comfort and space was fantastic and 2.2dicor does the magic very well, added to this in Jan there was an discount and exchange bonus which made Safari LX not too faraway from Bolero in terms of cost.

So booked the Safari LX
lohithrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:42   #217
Senior - BHPian

Congrats lohith for the decision on the Safari.

I am sure that the Safari is leaps & bounds ahead of the Bolero.

I also got a chance to do a long test-drive of the Bolero the past week, & I was disappointed to say the least. The vehicle feels like a tank no doubt, but the brake pedal is placed too high & the steering is also too high for my liking & comfort over long drives.

Secondly, I somehow felt that the older non-CRDI engine was much smoother & had a better power delivery. The common railed 2523cc engine felt sluggish & I had to struggle to get it to start moving with the AC on, even on the first gear.

I am sure that I would not be putting my money on this new Bolero. Maybe the older Boleros are still a better bet when it comes to the engine, but just my 2 cents.

However, just to let everyone know, the NVH levels were well managed for the kind of vehicle Bolero is.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 3rd February 2012 at 19:45.
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:41   #218
Senior - BHPian

Thanks blackfire

well if you ask me there is no "perfect" vehicle, atleast in the budget and the type of car i was in search off and i had to weigh between the good and bad and i felt Safari has quiet many features or plus points which are over he negatives.

Bolero is a beautiful vehicle and M&M is doing everything to kill it, i know about 4people who were prospective buyers of this vehcile who went for something else, that includes me.

With 8 to 9lacs budget i think its hard to find a perfect UV, Safari is the closese followed by Bolero but with Merlin taking its space i dont think buyers will e left with Bolero or Sumo or Grande...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Congrats lohith for the decision on the Safari.

I am sure that the Safari is leaps & bounds ahead of the Bolero.

However, just to let everyone know, the NVH levels were well managed for the kind of vehicle Bolero is.

Drive safe.
Old 4th February 2012, 21:25   #219
MCR
BHPian

Re: Decision done, its Safari

Quote:
So booked the Safari LX
Congrats on the booking lohith. I must say Safari is a very good choice. One can simply not compare the Bolero to the Safari. Safari has excellent suspension set-up that delivers both in the city and the highway. At least Safari is not a compromise. Bolero somehow doesn't appeal so much, may be because of the compromises!
Old 6th February 2012, 11:54   #220
BHPian

Well, I just found there are quite a few out there sharing same quandary.

I would be in the market in coming months for MUV / SUV. Went to Millenium Mobility - Tata Dealer here in Pune for Grande or Safari. The response was shocking. I was told they have stopped production for Grande and even a TD vehicle is not available. Safari 2012 is not yet out in the showrooms but old Safari is available for TD and sale from last year's stock.

I so desperately want Bolero, but my wife is not ready to even sit in Bolero even for TD. Next few months are going to be tough convincing her. Next choice is Xylo but could not TD as showroom was closed.
Dont understand why all Mahindra dealers are closed on Sunday? and in the process lose out on people like me :(

I had seen MUV from Nissan in last month's auto expo. Any news of making it to the market? Also, what about Maruti Ertigo?
Old 6th February 2012, 12:20   #221
Senior - BHPian

Grande stopped??? and Safari 2012 means merlin??
can you get more info on this?

btw i think you should make up your mind soon, am sure after budget there will be a huge hike.

If you can stretch your budget then you can try Scorpio LX, which means Xylo too is int he bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Well, I just found there are quite a few out there sharing same quandary.
Tata Dealer here in Pune for Grande or Safari. The response was shocking. I was told they have stopped production for Grande and even a TD vehicle is not available. Safari 2012 is not yet out in the showrooms but old Safari is available for TD and sale from last year's stock.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:44   #222
BHPian

Yes Lohit; as per the SA, the Grande production has stopped and they are only manufacturing Sumo Gold. and he was pushing me for a TD of Sumo yesterday.

Safari 2012 - Yes, I meant Merlin. Its not available for TD or immediate sale, what was told to me. 2011 stock was available for immediate sale (does it mean disposal??) and he is getting one this weekend for a TD.

I have just crossed the first stage i.e. putting a thought across to wife for buying new vehicle. I am sure there will be lots of ifs and buts in between so, Budget is going to be just another date for me and price hike - well, inevitable.

In order of my choice before TD it reads 1. Bolero 2. Safari GX 3. Grande 4. Xylo.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:38   #223
Senior - BHPian

Well if you are keen i Bolero then you need to be sure the reason behind it, many folks including me lked the vehicle but ended up with something else after the td.

Bolero is a great package but lacks real bad in comfort and also on high speed handling aint that great.

if you weigh it with Safari or Xylo i think Bolero loses out easily, i dint link the andling part of Xylo for me it was Safari.

Quote:
Yes Lohit; as per the SA, the Grande production

In order of my choice before TD it reads 1. Bolero 2. Safari GX 3. Grande 4. Xylo.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:42   #224
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 to what Lohith said.

Just like him, I had also been considering the Bolero for quite some time. However, the recent test drive changed all that. Today, I would still buy the Bolero if it's a second vehicle I am looking for. The ergonomics are really poor & I am sure I won't be comfortable with that, even if all other things are kept aside or ignored.

As a primary vehicle, I would also say now that the Safari or the Scorpio make a lot more sense.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:01   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Grande stopped???

Quote:
Yes Lohit; as per the SA, the Grande production has stopped and they are only manufacturing Sumo Gold. and he was pushing me for a TD of Sumo yesterday.

Sumo Grande is very much under production and is not stopped.
Yes, due to the increase in demand of the new Sumo Gold CR4, the priority is given to Gold instead of Grande.
The Sumo Gold is received well by its market it seems. With its new CR4 engine, its becoming a good value proposition for the market it serves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks