Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 11:18   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

I wont say the "climbing" thing is not a show stopper but yes you should not be in hurry, secondly am used to a 100bhp 1.6 powerhouse(Adventure) so for sure my expectations is bit higher...

What may be a show stopper is gear, slotting into a gear needs to be worked upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I agree with most of your points about the exteriors, especially how the look/stature of the truck can be transformed by simply adding a set of nice alloys & tyres.

However, what intrigues me is the fact that the Sumo is looking incapable of climbing mountains. This was never a problem with older engines, even the first generation Sumo with that 2L engine was a charmer in the mountains. The 'Spacio' that sported the same 3L engine (albeit without the Common Rail unit) did the duty wonderfully, but then what's the issue here?

Guys, does anybody have any explanation for it? Is it something to do with the gear ratios?

Drive safe.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 12:08   #182
BHPian

Lohith,

Please do keep updating the thread with your observations and decisions.

Happy to see another member looking for a solution to exactly the same requirements I have on mind. I'm planning this very purchase in the next 2-3 months; it might be helpful to collaborate.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:43   #183
Senior - BHPian

Sure skandy,

I think i have made my choice, its Bolero.

will give a brief on what made me take the final call in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Lohith,

Please do keep updating the thread with your observations and decisions.

Happy to see another member looking for a solution to exactly the same requirements I have on mind. I'm planning this very purchase in the next 2-3 months; it might be helpful to collaborate.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:44   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Its the right choice baby...

What engine and variant are you looking at? I d suggest the ZLX, however, the SLE is equally good.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:27   #185
Senior - BHPian

^^ I believe there is only engine option available on the Bolero for all the 3 trim levels, & that would be the M2diCR.

Also, lolith had mentioned in one of his previous posts that he was keen on the top-end for both his considerations, namely the Sumo & the Bolero. But let us wait for lohith to tell us which version he chose.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 16th January 2012 at 17:28.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:31   #186
BHPian

Lohith it is great that you choose Bolero, waiting for you reasons why you choose Bolero over Sumo/Grande.

I am also planning to book Bolero in Feb/March as part of my company leased policy so that I can take advantage from 2012-13 financial year.

My take overs from this discussion are :
1. Quality wise both are same (Bolero has little advantage in terms of paint quality)
2. Sumo's Clutch is very hard for city driving, which gets worse with clock, this is a great deterrent for me as I saw that the Bolero was very smooth but was a very long.
3. Sumo's gear lever wobbles like hell, even I was very uncomfortable with Bolero as I have a habit of resting my hand for few seconds after the gear change.
4. Space wise the Bolero's rear is little low, Me and my family not being taller, I guess the space would be sufficient at rear, so is the under thigh support for the front seats.
5. Bolero does look more adorable than Sumo after the upgrade to Alloys and Bullbar, though I am not interested in Bull Bar. One advantage is that the Bolero has Metal front bumpers. I hope to certain extend should be scratch resistant and non deforming.
6. NVH in Bolero was good, I was not able to hear the stock horn, which is very small because of RTO regulations.

I plan to have a full TD of both the vehicles next week with my family to get their approval. Hope they agree to my choice.

Quote:
Sure skandy,

will give a brief on what made me take the final call in a day or two.
Old 17th January 2012, 15:45   #187
Senior - BHPian

@raju: Please put up your experiences as well once you come back from the TD.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

I was just browsing through some random thread here on TBhp on the ownership of a Xylo. It seems that the vehicle had been plagued with problems & most users have reported similar issues as far as I could make out.

Moreover, if I know correctly, the new Bolero sports the same engine as the Xylo & so isn't this a point of concern since a lot of people have reported to have faced multiple problems?

Drive safe.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:48   #189
Senior - BHPian

I think only one of the lower variant has this engine, is the problem related to the engine?

Quote:
I was just browsing through some random thread here on TBhp on the ownership of a Xylo. It seems that the vehicle had been plagued with problems & most users have reported similar issues as far as I could make out.

Moreover, if I know correctly, the new Bolero sports the same engine as the Xylo & so isn't this a point of concern since a lot of people have reported to have faced multiple problems?

Drive safe.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:19   #190
Senior - BHPian

There were problems reported w.r.t suspension as well, however, the individual who had started the thread also got his Xylo's engine replaced. And while he narrated his experiences & issues with the vehicle, a lot of others also chipped in with similar experiences.

Having said that, the thread starter had also mentioned that it seemed only a certain batch was affected. I would have to look for the thread, but you could search for Xylo ownership threads.

Also, the engine is the same across all the 3 trim levels available in the Bolero for BSIV cities. And I just checked on Xylo website, the engines seem to be different however I am sure I have read somewhere that the engines in the Xylo & this new Bolero are related.

Just wanted to share, so that you could be exercise a little more caution. I hope I haven't confused you.

Quote:
I think only one of the lower variant has this engine, is the problem related to the engine?
Old 18th January 2012, 13:46   #191
BHPian

It is good that you brought to our notice, but the engine that you are referring was of course was similar, there was a model called Bolero Storm which used to come with 95BHP engine. We have lots of people in this forum who have commited about the Bolero Storms performance but never complained. The same engine which is serving its duty in Mahindra Thar now. The new Bolero engine is a proven DI platform with Common rail. It has been developed recently and this engine is called m2DICR, This engine is also part of newly launched Scorpio EX which is lowest end model and but in a different tune since it makes 75BHP.

About suspension, I am really not sure because all the vehicle of Mahindra especially Scorpio and Xylo, both have very high center of gravity and that's why the body roll is high. That's the reason people might have felt little nervous while driving in highways.

Quote:

Also, the engine is the same across all the 3 trim levels available in the Bolero for BSIV cities. And I just checked on Xylo website, the engines seem to be different however I am sure I have read somewhere that the engines in the Xylo & this new Bolero are related.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:04   #192
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clarifiying, indeed, the Bolero's new engine is just the same old DI motor but with a Common-Rail head now.

A for suspension, the issues were reported with respect to some components like tie-rods etc but I am sure they were limited to Xylo only since the components are not the same between the two, I believe. It was only the engine that I was worried about but that has been put to rest now.

Having said that, do you or anybody on this forum have any more reviews about the new engine on the Bolero?

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
About suspension, I am really not sure because all the vehicle of Mahindra especially Scorpio and Xylo, both have very high center of gravity and that's why the body roll is high. That's the reason people might have felt little nervous while driving in highways.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:03   #193
Senior - BHPian

One thing which concerns me and am sure would concern anyone who loves thier machine, Boleros are driven down to Bangalore,Mangalore and other places from Belgaum as they get dumped thier, while Scorps,Xylos are bought by Trucks...

So in Boleros case thier is no running in required as god knows how those drivers have driven them??? i would say this is a very unfortunate!

I dont think the M&M has any means to monitor how these vehicles where driven, what speeds did they do etc.... as a prospective buyer am damn concerned about this!

i think all prospective buyers should raise this at the dealership!

M&M are you listening?!!!
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:02   #194
BANNED

Quote:
One thing which concerns me and am sure would concern anyone who loves thier machine, Boleros are driven down to Bangalore,Mangalore and other places from Belgaum as they get dumped thier, while Scorps,Xylos are bought by Trucks...
This happens across all tier-2 and 3 cities where not only Boleros but all vehicles are driven down from the closest dealer yard which at times, could also be 300kms away.
The drivers who drive them are undoubtedly, contract drivers who are paid for the number of trips that they make which means they drive pretty fast and rough.

The only saving grace is that since any damage is also claimed from the driver contract company, they do not go all out or full clip and move in convoys.

As things stand, there is no remedy for the situation.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:05   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Really sad. Also i heard from some of my friends that Scorpio owners are treated preferentially at Mahindra A.S.S vis-a-vis Bolero owners while servicing. Is this true? May be bhpians who own Boleros can clarify.

Last edited by JediKnight : 18th January 2012 at 16:08. Reason: Corrected a poorly formed sentence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks