Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 14:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

Hi Lohith, Waiting for your review, I am also sold to Mahindra Bolero because of the 9000+ numbers in Dec that it self indicates that there are so many guys who second my opinion. I think I will also be doing a long TD sometime next week. I have already done, and this time I want to do it with my family for there suggestions. Based on your feedback, I will also try to check again on -ves when I do the next TD. But right now firmly on Bolero, no second thoughts for Sumo Gold (Less FE and over budget).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
will post it by today or tomo been too busy last couple of days
Old 10th January 2012, 17:14   #152
Senior - BHPian

Sumo vs Bolero

Am a guy who prefers not to use the car in city, but use only for the long drives and that has been the case with 2cars which I have owned. As the say goes you learn from your experiences, every long drive has taught me something and through these learning’s I could derive on a requirement for a car which will suit me and my needs….

So keeping a budget of 8-9lacs I started to look for cars which will suit me, I was very clear that I needed a tough car not exactl a people mover but a car which could comfortably sit 4adults and a decent room for luggage, reliably was another crucial factor which made me strike out used car options. Next it was the vehicle being able to tackle real bad roads, I know how painful it is with the sedans so removed” sedans” from the list, so it was the UV or a SUV which fit my requirement but my budget permitted to think only about the UV

So shortlisted Bolero SLX and Sumo Gold(C4)
Bolero:8lacs, Sumo old 8.25lacs(on road)

TD, got to test pretty brand new vehicles of both makes, tested both the UV on the same route from which I have got a good idea on what to expect from these vehicles.
The route comprised of hilly narrow widing roads to some nice smooth 4lane.

Looks:

Sumo, I personally don’t like the looks at all, added to it is the bad finish. the paint finish reminded me of a old almirah The removal of spare wheel from rear has made the Sumo look bland and the stickering on the body may have contributed to the sad look.

Bolero, M&M has done sensible job by keeping the bolero plain, the paint looks far superior then of Sumo, by removing the body graphics the Bolero has gained a excutive look, the front looks neat, infact overall Bolero is more presentable now….

So Bolero wins in “looks” department.

Interior:

Sumo, seems like Tata completely ignored or forgot to work on the looks both interior and exterior, finish and the paint looks below average, I would have expected atleast the the top end to have a better finish. Next comes front seats, the head rest is in a angle which does not support the neck instead it causes strain to neck..
Gear lever and the pedals are awkwardly placed you will need to stretch a bit to get hold of the leaver, next blunder is the pedals their seem to be a issue with the placement or the gap between the pedals, I had to be really careful not to make any mistakes and this can a big pain in heavy traffic.
However, I liked the view through the WS, also the rear leg space.

Bolero, takes the cake here too, fit and finish is clean though lots can be improved but I think we definitely can leave with it, gear lever and pedal positions are perfect.
But here couple of things which has gone wrong is the speedo position and the rear seat leg space, with the front seat pushed back its cramped! The rear seat arm rest is for show only it is about couple of inches thick!!!!

Performance:

Sumo, on paper this has better numbers compared to Bolero, this is a big “plus” of Sumo, the engine is refined and very quiet, acceleration is smooth but don’t be in hurry it takes a sweet time to get running but all the while you are assured that there is lots of power in stock. Cruising in open hiway is fun calm and sturdy but climbing up the hill I felt as if the engine ran out of the breadth, overall I really liked the way engine responds.

Braking is confident, the vehicle behaves well and controlled at highspeeds.

Suspension is another “plus”, wishbone suspension works like a charm, it gobbled up pretty big potholes and I hardly noticed, going on some bad surface the car felt smooth and even the passenger at rear seat was comfy.

Turning radius, is amazing I felt much comfortable maneuvering it then my Adventure in city, which helps big time in parking!

Gear/Clutch, not happy, the slotting of gear was not easy nor crisp,

AC is superb!

Bolero, Though on papers the numbers don’t look that amusing, the bolero is a bit quicker, does not feel bad climbing up the hill but engine is noisy compared to CR4.
At speeds around 80 I felt Sumo felt bit more confident, the steering is too sharp and at hi speeds it can be risky…

Braking no issues…

Suspension, I felt though it absorbs the bad road will but ride it’s a bit bumpy but I think this is not a great concern area.

Gear/Clutch, works well felt at home here.

AC, I feel not very good, on a sunny day it may not work well.

Presently am leaning towards Bolero for ist overall package and reliability but I feel Sumo may work better on hiway…..it is 60:40 now
lohithrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

^^ I second your opinions on the Sumo Gold when it comes to the exterior & interior fit & finish. The Sumo looks as if it has been painted at a local garage, & it seems that the quality of sheet metal & paint used is just really bad since there are numerous reports on the internet about the Sumo catching rust pretty fast.

There have also been many reports of Tata leaving behind gaps through which dirt & water can seep in thereby accelerating the rusting process even more.

Thanks for sharing your test drive experience. But it was really surprising to note that Sumo's engine felt bad on the hills.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

Thanks blackfire,
Yes even i was surprised on the way it performed climbing hills, this also maybe due to some issue with the TD car...

yes, i did see lot of gaps but noise inside the cabin was very muted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ I second your opinions on the Sumo Gold when it comes to the exterior & interior fit & finish. The Sumo looks as if it has been painted at a local garage, & it seems that the quality of sheet metal & paint used is just really bad since there are numerous reports on the internet about the Sumo catching rust pretty fast.

There have also been many reports of Tata leaving behind gaps through which dirt & water can seep in thereby accelerating the rusting process even more.

Thanks for sharing your test drive experience. But it was really surprising to note that Sumo's engine felt bad on the hills.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:47   #155
Senior - BHPian

^^ Mate, were you able to get any information on maintenance & spare parts costs? It would be great if there can be comparison in terms of what each of these giants costs to maintain.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:11   #156
Senior - BHPian

Well i dont have info on that but I dont think the cost difference for the components are not that high, what i got to learn is the "apare" quaklity at TATA is something which needs to be worried about, however with extended warranty you should be covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Mate, were you able to get any information on maintenance & spare parts costs? It would be great if there can be comparison in terms of what each of these giants costs to maintain.
Old 11th January 2012, 05:45   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Performance:

Bolero, Though on papers the numbers don’t look that amusing, the bolero is a bit quicker, does not feel bad climbing up the hill but engine is noisy compared to CR4.
Is this the Bolero which came with the M2DiCR engine, or the previous one? Did you try out the M2DiCR engine?
Old 11th January 2012, 09:00   #158
BANNED

hi,
before putting hands on M2DICR, check the reliability,Many vehicles in ASCs due to many engine related tech issues.Seems this was hurried set up to catch BS 1V. Need to settle down..
Old 11th January 2012, 10:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

Benny, it is M2Di...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Is this the Bolero which came with the M2DiCR engine, or the previous one? Did you try out the M2DiCR engine?
So this opens up a new perspective Rajith any info on SumoC4??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi,
before putting hands on M2DICR, check the reliability,Many vehicles in ASCs due to many engine related tech issues.Seems this was hurried set up to catch BS 1V. Need to settle down..
Old 11th January 2012, 11:04   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Benny, it is M2Di...
So this opens up a new perspective Rajith any info on SumoC4??
Heard from few cabbies that the latest Indicas with the C4 engines have lots of issues, which is why the tour operators are sticking to older ones.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:27   #161
Senior - BHPian

Did learn from some TASS sourc that they are not faced isues with CS4 yet, however the spare quality is something they were not sure which is related to all TATA vehicles...

However with Tata i think we should be prepared as they are far from perfection, but these points has added another challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Heard from few cabbies that the latest Indicas with the C4 engines have lots of issues, which is why the tour operators are sticking to older ones.

Last edited by lohithrao : 11th January 2012 at 11:34.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:41   #162
Senior - BHPian

what is the difference between city FE of these two? i.e. Bolero and Grande?
Old 11th January 2012, 13:07   #163
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of Grande, Sumo gold is expected to give about 15 and the bolero 17, these are max figures and only after usage we can know about the city but am sure Bolero may be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
what is the difference between city FE of these two? i.e. Bolero and Grande?
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 13:36   #164
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.. but I dont think they are realistic given Delhi traffic!
Old 11th January 2012, 13:52   #165
Senior - BHPian

Yes thts true, one can expect about 10 in city.

meanwhile i feel Sumo is very nice to drive in congested areas, not that Bolero is not but i think Sumo may score a point more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Thanks.. but I dont think they are realistic given Delhi traffic!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks