Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 16:40   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

Just had a word with a few cab drivers in my office, most of whom drive the Indigo with the CR4 engine. They seem to be happier with this engine as it's much more powerful & the mileage is much better as well.

These Indigos are relatively new, but they have still managed to clock about 50-60K in a time-frame of about 6-8 months & no complaints so far.

Looking at this smaller cousin of the 3L CR4 engine in Sumo, it seems that the 3L beast is also not gonna trouble any sooner at least.
Old 11th January 2012, 16:46   #167
Senior - BHPian

I think if the cabbies are the best at testing, they put the vehicle to maximum test and if they dont have a issue after crossing 50k i think its a positive sign.

also i checked with 3 different reliable source(TASS) and i got a good feedback for this vehicle.

for me the "looks" both interior and exterior is what holding up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just had a word with a few cab drivers in my office, most of whom drive the Indigo with the CR4 engine. They seem to be happier with this engine as it's much more powerful & the mileage is much better as well.

These Indigos are relatively new, but they have still managed to clock about 50-60K in a time-frame of about 6-8 months & no complaints so far.

Looking at this smaller cousin of the 3L CR4 engine in Sumo, it seems that the 3L beast is also not gonna trouble any sooner at least.
Old 11th January 2012, 16:56   #168
Senior - BHPian

There is not much you can do for the exterior but for the interior, there are some options through which you can spruce those up.

Now, this may not make a lot of sense to a lot of people, but here they are:

1. Get some good seat covers; that would really enhance the look & feel of the interiors.

2. Try to find a reasonable guy who can paint your car's interior plastics in a soft touch paint (leather texture). I had inquired about my Alto, which frankly has almost as much plastic as this Sumo. The price quoted without any bargain was about 10K.

3. Get a good steering cover, something that looks good & is also good to hold. Couple all these to a good ICE setup.

However, before you make a decision, try getting some feedback on the M2diCR engine in the Bolero. This engine does duty in the Xylo as well if I am not wrong, & Xylos are aplenty in the taxi market. So try asking if people have faced any issues with this engine in the Xylo.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I think if the cabbies are the best at testing, they put the vehicle to maximum test and if they dont have a issue after crossing 50k i think its a positive sign.

also i checked with 3 different reliable source(TASS) and i got a good feedback for this vehicle.

for me the "looks" both interior and exterior is what holding up...

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 11th January 2012 at 16:57.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:07   #169
Senior - BHPian

Lohith,

Here is my take:
Grande is a good vehicle but its a little big in size so maneuverability might be an issue in the city. Bolero definitely scores on that count.

But interior space is a constraint in the Bolero especially the middle row and last row jump seats. The Grande sports the 2.2 VTT Dicor in a slightly detuned avatar which hasn't had too many issues. The new engine in the Bolero is still not proven. But that shouldn't be problem. But the warranty is better in Grande. I think you can get 2+2 extended warranty whereas in Bolero standard warranty is only 1 year with only engine and transmission getting 3 year warranty.

Logics says go with the Grande. But if it was me, I would go with Bolero. More rugged and customer friendly.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 12:15   #170
Senior - BHPian

Blackfire, yea first think i need to get fatter wheels and then work on seats, with SUmo i have few things to do to get it to my taste hehe

Thanks Anirudha,
btw i think have confused people by posting about Sumo C4 Gold, in a Grande Vs Bolero thread.

however have ruled out Grande, Safari and Scorpio out of my list.

Yes Bolero seems to be practical but Sumo has some good points which is making me rethink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Lohith,

Here is my take:
Grande is a good vehicle but its a little big in size so maneuverability might be an issue in the city. Bolero definitely scores on that count.

Logics says go with the Grande. But if it was me, I would go with Bolero. More rugged and customer friendly.

Last edited by lohithrao : 12th January 2012 at 12:27.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:45   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blackfire, yea first think i need to get fatter wheels and then work on seats, with SUmo i have few things to do to get it to my taste hehe

Thanks Anirudha,
btw i think have confused people by posting about Sumo C4 Gold, in a Grande Vs Bolero thread.

however have ruled out Grande, Safari and Scorpio out of my list.

Yes Bolero seems to be practical but Sumo has some good points which is making me rethink
BTW Sumo is available in 4x4 mode and the AP Police has quite a few of them. You might want to check that out. Would be a good buy!
Old 12th January 2012, 20:13   #172
Senior - BHPian

I found a link with the picture of the launch of Sumo C4, i must say the interior in this looks much promising compared to one i test drove, is that TATA spruced up the one which where to be displayed??
With the fatter wheel i think the Sumo will be much presentable, i suppose...

Tata Sumo Gold Picture Gallery

also got to learn that the clutch gets harder as the vehcile starts adding kms...
Old 12th January 2012, 20:42   #173
Senior - BHPian

lohith, I had a chance to see both the Bolero & the new Sumo Gold back to back at the Auto Expo this year. And as I had also mentioned in one of the other threads, the Sumo lacked in the fit & finish, both exterior as well as the interior. For the first time, the interiors of a Bolero looked & felt better than that of the Sumo, to be honest.

Now, this does not mean that the Sumo's interiors have been deteriorated, rather Tata has stood back in time while Mahindra seems to have moved on with better interiors for their popular UV.

Slightly OT -- I couldn't help but dream of the Sierra with this new 3L engine in Gold, what a dream machine would that be. Just to be sure, is there any news on something on the lines of a Sierra being relaunched?

Quote:
I found a link with the picture of the launch of Sumo C4, i must say the interior in this looks much promising compared to one i test drove, is that TATA spruced up the one which where to be displayed??
With the fatter wheel i think the Sumo will be much presentable, i suppose...

Tata Sumo Gold Picture Gallery

also got to learn that the clutch gets harder as the vehcile starts adding kms...
Old 12th January 2012, 20:59   #174
Senior - BHPian

Thats right, TATA still dont want to intend to still concetrate at taxi market or they think they can sell the same to all the segments.

however even M&M are not that bothered though we are happy atleast they have tried to improve but the engine change is a let down...

attaching 2 pictures i took in MM&M showrrom, i was bowled by the black bolero

Quote:
lohith, I had a chance to see both the Bolero & the new Sumo Gold back to back .....
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero vs Tata Sumo-100_4978.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th January 2012, 20:45   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dev,
on "Bilsteins" i guess the price is worth if its improving the handling/ride, is it available off the shelf or needs to be ordered?
Lohit, I inquired about the Bilsteins and this what the Pete's support says.

Bilstein B6 Suspension is available for Mahindra Bolero. Costs Rs. 38,500/- ( Front & Rear ). It will cut all unwanted Roll and give you a controlled, Steady, Predictable and Comfortable Ride with Superb Handling.

I also inquired with Red Rooster Performance they usually deal with a Suspension's brand called TEIN Suspensions, but they don't have any solution for Bolero.

Old 14th January 2012, 22:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

did you take a test ride? wel frankly i was fine with the ride but above speeds of 80 vehicle is not that composed.

i see the rear leg room a issue in bolero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Lohit, I inquired about the Bilsteins and this what the Pete's support says.

Today took one more TD of Sumo Gold and Grande, went with open mind and this is what i felt:

Exterior Looks, i think it does not look that bad, with fatter wheels and a good looking alloy it will make the truck look mean.

Interior, though lots of area for improvements which can be developed but i feel again its livable. seats do needs to be worked upon, huge space will give ample room to do the mods.

Ride is bit bumpy, only on uneven surface, again here better tyres may improve the ride. the truck comes with 215 JK...

Pick-up is not that great as mentioned in my earlier td report it hits a wall after certain speed while climbing up, on even roads it glides smooth and can sail in and around 100kmph.

also took a short ride of Grande and one can easily feel the magic of dicor, truck is very responsive and ride is much settled.
Old 15th January 2012, 19:52   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also took a short ride of Grande and one can easily feel the magic of dicor, truck is very responsive and ride is much settled.
The more I read about this, the more it seems like a very sensible buy - if you can get past the bleh looks.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 20:24   #178
Senior - BHPian

I agree, i did expect the truck to be on sluggish side but on the same gradient where Sumo struggled to run up Grande comfortable took it and also dint experience any body roll. overall seems like a good tourer but if i consider grande then why not a Safari LX

plus, with TATA comes all niggling issues which i stopping me from picking a TATA.

after having owned to great cars i know choosing the third one will be a quiet a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
The more I read about this, the more it seems like a very sensible buy - if you can get past the bleh looks.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:20   #179
Senior - BHPian

I agree with most of your points about the exteriors, especially how the look/stature of the truck can be transformed by simply adding a set of nice alloys & tyres.

However, what intrigues me is the fact that the Sumo is looking incapable of climbing mountains. This was never a problem with older engines, even the first generation Sumo with that 2L engine was a charmer in the mountains. The 'Spacio' that sported the same 3L engine (albeit without the Common Rail unit) did the duty wonderfully, but then what's the issue here?

Guys, does anybody have any explanation for it? Is it something to do with the gear ratios?

Drive safe.

Quote:
Pick-up is not that great as mentioned in my earlier td report it hits a wall after certain speed while climbing up, on even roads it glides smooth and can sail in and around 100kmph.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:47   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree with most of your points about the exteriors, especially how the look/stature of the truck can be transformed by simply adding a set of nice alloys & tyres.

However, what intrigues me is the fact that the Sumo is looking incapable of climbing mountains. This was never a problem with older engines, even the first generation Sumo with that 2L engine was a charmer in the mountains. The 'Spacio' that sported the same 3L engine (albeit without the Common Rail unit) did the duty wonderfully, but then what's the issue here?

Guys, does anybody have any explanation for it? Is it something to do with the gear ratios?

Drive safe.
I test drove the Sumo in a up-down kind of terrain. It did NOT feel any worse than my Wagon R.

Last edited by bblost : 16th January 2012 at 10:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks