Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 93 48.95%
sumo grande MKII CX 97 51.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:30   #121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Thanks for the inputs jeeva, yes its going to be a family car and for long drives, and the comfort is a concern. i may redo the front seats to gain more support...
btw can you elobrate on "Bilsteins"?? if the ride can be improve nothing like it!
Lohithrao, I had to eventually part ways with my Bolero because of the comfort factor. My family was'nt comfortable with its ride; its a little on the bumpier side. It's neither a speed demon as well. I literally had to switch off the AC for those calculative highway overtakings. Mine was one of those last batch xd3ps. Nothing has really changed much with the Di engines, in terms of top end or pickup, but the Di has oodles of torque.
The front seats are really bad: no proper lumbar support and under thigh support. Another fact is that the steering wheel has an offset to the left.
With better seats and a set of Bilsteins, things will be alright.
One of the first Bilstein installations (on Bolero) was done by a friend (he has close relations with Petes, Kochi). With the Bilsteins, the ride was much much better than the stock setup. Though they were on the expensive side (~35k for a set of 4) then, they were worth every penny. Infact, once I took my family along in his bolero, and it was only then that people felt bad for selling off ours.

Yeah, do look at used Scorpios (preferably the old gen ones with leaf springs-chain driven with EGR). But then, the body roll on the Scorp is much worser than in the Bolero. You could also look at well maintained 2.2 Dicors. Have come across certain clean ones going for ~4L.

Last edited by jeeva : 2nd January 2012 at 14:35.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Do we need to change the dampers aswel or just the spring is enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Bilsteins are available off the shelf at most performance stores like Red Rooster, Pete's etc. I ve given their urls below.

...../
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:47   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Do we need to change the dampers aswel or just the spring is enough?
These come as a complete assembly with their own mounting bushes. The kit is complete in itself.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:20   #124
BANNED

Hi,

I owned 3 boleros in total from 2000 to 2011.GLX-2wd,SLX DI-4wd then SLX - 2wd. Done @ 4lac kms in total.I would say that Boleros are any time better in reliabilty than old generation Sumo's, but its too cramped.
New Sumo/Grandes are much better in build and space.

My vote goes for new Sumo/Grande.

Last edited by Rajith : 2nd January 2012 at 17:23.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

After reading these feedbacks i think i need to rethink on the Bolero hmmm, how is Sumo Gold? instead of grande i think i might aswel consider Safari??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,

I owned 3 boleros in total from 2000 to 2011.GLX-2wd,SLX DI-4wd then SLX - 2wd. Done @ 4lac kms in total.I would say that Boleros are any time better in reliabilty than old generation Sumo's, but its too cramped.
New Sumo/Grandes are much better in build and space.

My vote goes for new Sumo/Grande.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:44   #126
BANNED

Quote:
After reading these feedbacks i think i need to rethink on the Bolero hmmm, how is Sumo Gold? instead of grande i think i might aswel consider Safari??
Lohith, I would suggest, as earlier, take a detailed TD of the Bolero with your family and judge it to the best of your requirements. If you are not satisfied, you have the option of looking elsewhere.

Also, please keep in mind that between the Sumo Gold, Sumo Grande and the Bolero, the Bolero outsells them by a huge margin and not without reason.

So, analyse your needs and then buy what suits you the best.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:53   #127
BANNED

friends,
please dont get amazed by seeing boleros sales figure.its a total of all varieties of Boleros,pick ups,Thars and etc and etc. All vehicle in M&M is termed with a starting word of bolero, except xuv,scorp,xylo etc..
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:20   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
All vehicle in M&M is termed with a starting word of bolero, except xuv,scorp,xylo etc..
This is not correct Rajith. What about Maxx Pick up, Major (although old), Logan ? Only vehicles coming from Bolero platform / assembly line are often referred to as Bolero xyz.

Spike
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:27   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This is not correct Rajith. What about Maxx Pick up, Major (although old), Logan ? Only vehicles coming from Bolero platform / assembly line are often referred to as Bolero xyz.

Spike
Dear spike,
Thanks for the reply, please update what all vehicles are combined with boleros name to show up sales..so that all can understand.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:49   #130
BANNED

please see the below sheet where 4 variants are mentioned, wheres the balance variants like Max,bolero pick ups,Thar crde/di etc sales figures hidden?.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero vs Tata Sumo-143942.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2012, 09:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Look like everybody talking about Sumo Grande's reliability in the air.

Do anybody have data to confirm the reliability between Sumo Grande and Bolero? Just writing about reliability in forum would not mean it is unreliable, one must substantiate its statement with data.

Somebody said Bolero is bulletproof Have anybody tested it with real bullets? What does bulletproof means? Common lets compare with real words and real data.

Reliability is very broad word

1. Even a puncture can make your vehicle unreliable.
2. Even bad fuel can make your vehicle unreliable.
3. Even fused headlight bulb can make your vehicle unreliable.
and so on...

Let's get into discussion what is unreliable actually means.

I feel it is just hoax call writing about reliability about any vehicle without data.

Last edited by anujmishra : 3rd January 2012 at 09:57.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:03   #132
Senior - BHPian

I can give an example here, my cousin had a 98 Sumo and he faced loads of issues, even till this date he says any product from TATA is "unreliable"

Would like to hear from the Tata owners, esp Sumo Gold on their experience.
Anuj can you share your experience

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Do anybody have data to confirm the reliability between Sumo Grande and Bolero? Just writing about reliability in forum would not mean it is unreliable, one must substantiate its statement with data.

Somebody said Bolero is bulletproof Have anybody tested it with real bullets? What does bulletproof means? Common lets compare with real words and real data.

and so on...

I feel it is just hoax call writing about reliability about any vehicle without data.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

I would agree to what Anuj has said, it's important to put up facts or experiences to get a clear picture of what's good or bad in a product.

As I have also mentioned earlier, the first generation Sumo was as reliable as anything you could get. My uncle who still drives one of those even today with over 2 lacs on the odo does mention of certain shortcomings like the interiors or the crude feeling, but he still maintains that he has never faced any issues driving sedately & that the vehicle would keep running for atleast another lac before an overhaul.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:04   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

and so on...

True Anuj, reliability is a broad word,

No one says one particular vehicle is highly reliable. There are instances of every car made on earth has failed. But how often the reliability issues crop up is what matters.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Sumo Gold GX and EX seems to be a stron contender

@8lacs(GX) and 7.35lacs(EX) Sumo Gold seems to be a good buy....3ltr engine, 85BHP and all the required goodies it seems like a very interesting proposition..

I will be doing a test drive today, will update post TD.

Last edited by lohithrao : 3rd January 2012 at 12:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks