Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:20   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Innova is definitely going to continue to be offered with that lethargic engine and lack of safety features that the OP desires in this case like the side airbags. Toyota does not offer that even on the Camry, so forget that it will ever do that on the Innova.

Seating for 6 people in comfort and with the safety features that you want, even I can think of only two options: the XUV and the Santa Fe. Both are excellent choices and there are dozens of XUV ownership threads on the forum. The initial niggles have now been sorted out and hence shouldn't be a deal breaker anymore. By the way how about the Rexton?
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:25   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Please take fortuner of the list. The ride quality is bad.
Thats a very definitive No. I think Fortuner is off my list also because of lack of rear disc brakes and side airbags.

Quote:
Only XUV 500 and Santa Fe are the 7 seaters in(and slightly above) your budget which provide side-airbags
I think Captiva too. Though XUV 500 is not in the same class. It does not give me confidence and worse they have really overdone the design!

Quote:

In this case, buy a Japanese car.
Any particular reason for a Japanese car?

Thanks,
Anoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The new Innova is definitely going to continue to be offered with that lethargic engine and lack of safety features that the OP desires in this case like the side airbags.........

By the way how about the Rexton?
I am not looking at Innova. And I agree with you over the reasons for overlooking it.

About Rexton, and XUV 500, somehow (And I could be wrong) I do not have enough confidence for Mahindra / TATA (ARIA) manufactured vehicles to last the distance!

Thanks,
Anoop

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd July 2014 at 08:37. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:31   #453
D4D
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The new Innova is definitely going to continue to be offered with that lethargic engine...
I would differ on that. A little bird tells me that Toyota might get the same engine but with a VGT. The 2KD-FTV with a VGT produces 142 bhp at 3400 rpm and 343 Nm from 1600-2800 rpm.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:05   #454
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

@anoopsaxena76
Due to previous bad experience with Tata vehicles and excessive body roll experienced in Scorpio's even I never considered Tata or Mahindra vehicles.
A few days ago I went from Pune to Goa in a friends XUV500 I drove about 50 % of the distance both ways and my view completely changed. Take a long test drive on the high way yourself, and talk to those who have XUV500's manufactured post Jan 2013 and you will realize that it is the most value for money SUV.
The 6th gear and overall tall gearing keeps the RPM and sound level low. You also have four wheel disk brakes and Airbags even in the basic variant, higher variants have curtain airbags.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:21   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would differ on that. A little bird tells me that Toyota might get the same engine but with a VGT. The 2KD-FTV with a VGT produces 142 bhp at 3400 rpm and 343 Nm from 1600-2800 rpm.
I hope your birdie is correct. Going by Toyota's past history in India, I honestly don't see them changing any of the fundamental specifications of the vehicle. The usual old saying of "why change something that is already a hit".
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 23:15   #456
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Shootout between Santa Fe, Fortuner & Rexton by Motorbeam.
The top end Santa Fe is 34lakhs OTR, Mumbai.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/hyunda...xton-shootout/

Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe-santafevsfortunervsrextonshootoutfront.jpg
Old 26th July 2014, 12:29   #457
BHPian

Replacing the Tucson: Duster-XUV-Rexton-Fortuner

After 4 years of joyous ownership of the Tucson , I have decided to change my Car nee SUV. But the dilemma is that I am unsure of what Car to Go For.
The Tuc is 2006 and I feel after 4 years and nearly 75K Kms , I shall shift to a newer Car
While The Duster fits smoothly in my Budget , and the service thing not being an issue in Chandigarh, I can buy the 110 BHP Version and live happily ever after. However I feel this is a downgrade in the class of Cars and We punjabis are very sentimental for such things
The other options being Pre-owned Cars in the range of 10-15 lakhs, I have the plethora of Fortuners, Rextons and XUVs.

But yet again there is the issue of Bulk and Size. The Fortuner is Huge and humungous, I know I need to lose weight from my Bulky frame but in the large scheme of things, apart from Supreme A*S*S , I am sceptical about the Fortuner
The Rexton Ditto along with Problem for the Ssangyong Service issues and quality
XUV yet again is so negatively discussed among peers regarding niggles , I am totally Confused
My Budget Maximum will reach 14-15 Lakhs since I am disposing My Tuc

I am not able to find a similar size car as the Tuc apart from Audi Q3 or the Koleos but they are are way way above my Budgets...
Would be thankful for all the advise and will decide after reading the advise here.

Thanks a Tonne
Old 26th July 2014, 13:18   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing the Tucson: Duster-XUV-Rexton-Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
While The Duster fits smoothly in my Budget ...... However I feel this is a downgrade in the class of Cars and We punjabis are very sentimental for such things
Very well put.

You've missed out the Skoda Yeti. Its a very capable machine and is mechanically identical to the Audi Q3, minus the auto gearbox. It meets your requirement and is nowhere as bulky as the Fortuner. The facelifted model will more or less make your budget

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th July 2014 at 13:19.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:24   #459
Team-BHP Support

Pre-owned Chevrolet Captiva would more or less fit your requirements. Looks decent inside and out, and you'll have lots of cars to choose from since it sold very well before Fortuner spoiled its party. It's not monstrous either - just over 4.6 metres long but still has 7 seats. However, 90% of the Captivas in the market are FWD manuals. See if you can find 4WD automatic variant.

You could also look at pre-owned Hyundai Santa Fe or Mitsubishi Outlander - both of which sold in small numbers. So finding one in the market might be tough.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:32   #460
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Why don't you look for a Used Nissan X-trail?
You can easily find one in your budget. It suits your requirement of having a not-so-big SUV.
The other option you have is a Used Santa-Fe. I doubt if you can easily find one, but if luck favors you might come across one.
Slightly OT- Frankly if i were in your place, i would simply add a tuning box and an aftermarket air filter to the tucson and enjoy it for 2-3 years more(75k kms is nothing for that engine and neither are 4 years much. Totally my Point of view). The compact SUV market in India will have more options then. Tucson is an awesome car and there is no replacement for the same within 25 lakhs. Better to wait i suggest.
All the best

Asit
Old 26th July 2014, 14:30   #461
BANNED

I agree that there is no spiritual successor to the Tucson in the Indian market, especially if you consider the pricing too.
But I'd say Duster (or even Terrano, looks a bit better) is the closest. But I'm a Punjabi too(in Ludhiana), and yes, the duster would be a downgrade in some aspects(mostly the interiors, they really need to work on them).
Though, if you are open to Petrol options(I'm really skeptical, since Petrol is priced sky high in Punjab), CR-V would be an amazing choice, its luxurious, would fall into your budget and A.S.S. is spectacular.
In the diesel soft-roaders, X-trail could be good option(if you can find one), Captiva , in my opinion would still be too large for your requirements.
Old 26th July 2014, 14:44   #462
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
After 4 years of joyous ownership of the Tucson , I have decided to change my Car nee SUV. But the dilemma is that I am unsure of what Car to Go For.
The Tuc is 2006 and I feel after 4 years and nearly 75K Kms , I shall shift to a newer Car
While The Duster fits smoothly in my Budget , and the service thing not being an issue in Chandigarh, I can buy the 110 BHP Version and live happily ever after. However I feel this is a downgrade in the class of Cars
Yes. The duster is a downgrade after owning a Tucson. The Duster has a lot of cost-cutting and you will be irritated by it. Note that the 110 bhp version has a lot of turbo lag. Can be annoying in the City.

Quote:

But yet again there is the issue of Bulk and Size. The Fortuner is Huge and humungous, I know I need to lose weight from my Bulky frame but in the large scheme of things, apart from Supreme A*S*S , I am sceptical about the Fortuner
The Rexton Ditto along with Problem for the Ssangyong Service issues and quality
You clearly don't want a big body-on-frame vehicle. So the monocoque SUVs you've got are Duster/Terrano, XUV 500, Captiva, Koleos, Yeti. I would not recommend a used captiva or koleos as they will have terrible resale value later on.

Quote:
XUV yet again is so negatively discussed among peers regarding niggles , I am totally Confused

My Budget Maximum will reach 14-15 Lakhs since I am disposing My Tuc

Thanks a Tonne
Please check out on the XUV which has constantly improved by Mahindra. Yeti might also be a good option.

Can you wait for S-Cross?

Alternately, consider a good sedan.
Old 27th July 2014, 21:39   #463
BHPian

Well imho, Petrol SUV is as good as harakiri.
After a hectic sunday driving my brother's duster 110(and ending up not impressed at all), i saw a couple of fortuners and Captiva. The fortuners in the market are over exploited , and my brother is ex General Motors & he advised against the Captiva
I have zeroed in on a couple of pre owned Santa fe and I m seriously in love with it. If anyone here owns one , can you pls elaborate on service cost and the quintessential question (kitna deti hai?)
Old 29th July 2014, 16:59   #464
BHPian

Hi guys, needed a bit of advice regarding this topic. I currently have a pajero that needs to be replaced (more than 2 lakh km). I need a replacement that fulfills the following priorities (important on top)

1. Safety, has to be really strong, capable of surviving accidents on the highway
2. 30 lakh budget (OTR), should be vfm
3. Relatively good mileage (pajero is now giving me 5km/l). diesel or petrol, they both roughly cost the same
4. Cargo area (no point have 3 rows of seats with nowhere to put baggage
5. Good ground clearance
6. Preferably factory fitted goodies (bluetooth, navigation, etc)
7. minimum 5 seats (like i said, prefer 5 seats with a boot than 7 with nothing)

I've compared several cars and i'll give you my views regarding the same.

- captiva - not worth 30 lakhs. only one power point, no sat nav or bluetooth, decent engine but not worth the 30 lakhs (CBU)

- innova - lethargic engine, only 2 airbags, uncomfortable back row, lots of body movement

- mobilio - surprisingly good engine, excellent suspension, pretty sure i'll die if I have an accident. terribly cheap looking interiors and feels cheap

- fortuner - I tried this 3 years ago, interiors felt like the innova, same amount of space, wasn't impressed, felt toyota was looting the public

- endeavor - only seen, haven't gone for a test drive yet.

So right now, its been the toyota fortuner which i'm mentally against (2 airbags, not vfm), the ford endeavor (will form opinion after testing), honda crv (petrol guzzler at the time, had it from 2008-2009), and the renault koleos.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29th July 2014, 17:03   #465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
So right now, its been the toyota fortuner which i'm mentally against (2 airbags, not vfm), the ford endeavor (will form opinion after testing), honda crv (petrol guzzler at the time, had it from 2008-2009), and the renault koleos.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Check out the top variant of Hyundai Santa FE. Sounds like the best option for the requirements you mentioned. It has scored very high on safety as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks