Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 19:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would not believe dealers a lot. The Safari site lists three versions available in 4x4, and EX is under 10L. These are prices for Hyderabad.

Models 4 X 2 4 X 4
Safari DICOR 2.2 LX BS 3 Rs. 772,151 N.A
Safari DICOR 2.2 EX BS 3 Rs. 883,183 Rs. 972,598
Safari DICOR 2.2 GX BS 3 Rs. 995,888 Rs. 1,090,348
Safari DICOR 2.2 VX BS 3 Rs. 1,100,624 Rs. 1,194,352
Safari DICOR 2.2 LX BS 4 Rs. 782,329 N.A.
Safari DICOR 2.2 EX BS 4 Rs. 893,361 Rs. 982,776
Safari DICOR 2.2 GX BS 4 Rs. 1,006,066 Rs. 1,100,527
Safari DICOR 2.2 VX BS 4 Rs. 1,120,999 Rs. 1,214,726
I wouldn't believe the website also too much. Xenon as per the website is only BS-III and there is no BS-IV model with ABS. Whereas the ground reality is Xenon got a revamp model called Xenon 2010 which comes with ABS, ICE, Bigger tyres et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I think that the Tax is on the listed price and not on discounted price. So getting discounts to get the price below 10L may not work.
The TAX is on the Invoice Price of the vehicle. Most dealers don't want to write the discounted price on the invoice due to finance issues. But if the dealer invoices me a vehicle 9.99L no way can the RTA charge me 14% tax, whatever be the actual MRP. I think this is a serious oversight from TML.

P.S: Called the M&M RSM today and he said he will arrange for me to see the Getaway from GMR who have bought a lot size of 150 Getaways to work in the Airport and their farms.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 10th January 2011 at 19:18.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I wouldn't believe the website also too much. Xenon as per the website is only BS-III and there is no BS-IV model with ABS. Whereas the ground reality is Xenon got a revamp model called Xenon 2010 which comes with ABS, ICE, Bigger tyres et al.

The TAX is on the Invoice Price of the vehicle. Most dealers don't want to write the discounted price on the invoice due to finance issues. But if the dealer invoices me a vehicle 9.99L no way can the RTA charge me 14% tax, whatever be the actual MRP. I think this is a serious oversight from TML.

P.S: Called the M&M RSM today and he said he will arrange for me to see the Getaway from GMR who have bought a lot size of 150 Getaways to work in the Airport and their farms.
1. I have TEST-DRIVEN a BS-4 Xenon. 2. Xenon ON ROAD is about 9.2 L in Gurgaon. Dunno, how much additional in AP, but shouldn't be more than a 80-90K difference. 3. Be wary about the huge rear overhang, and the somewhat cramped cabin. All else is great.
Old 18th January 2011, 10:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Kahani Mein Twist

Having decided to go with the Scorpio Getaway, I went to the dealership to book the vehicle and start the finance procedures.

All this while I was directly speaking to the Regional Sales Manager and this was my second visit to the dealership (first being to just take down prices). The SE to my utter surprise and horror tells me that Getaway is available only in BS-III variant which cannot be registered in Hyderabad. On my insistence, the SE called up RSM who in turn confirmed with Mumbai that it is indeed BS-III.

The SE says that he will arrange the address proof through an agent and get it registered in Ibrahimpatnam (outside Hyderabad). But the problem is bank won't accept different addresses on loan agreement and RC.

Is there a way out of this or do I have only one choice .

P.S: For the TATA XENON I thought of reaching out to the Area Office but nobody is bothered to return calls.
Old 18th January 2011, 13:15   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mile Cruncher what you say is true but the ground reality is that the RTO does charge based on the MRP only and not the discounted rate. I have seen it happen to other, and even remember somebody on TBHP posting about suffering due to this oversight at the RTO side, and we do know that convincing them of the correct logic will require more than just effort.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th January 2011 at 22:23. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:38   #35
BHPian

Mile Cruncher,
Followed your threads and shared your travails from your 'boy's gotta a new toy' days to the boy has now become a man. Me too having a love hate relationship with the bolero now bordering on mild dementia. I feel you, man. Talked to TATA guy in chennai and TATA EX 4 x 4 is available, at least in chennai Concorde-if the sales manager is to be believed. I will get you the pricing split up as with on-road price in chennai for you to calculate. Honestly, I dont believe that Sub 10 Lakh SUV is upto the mark in terms of reliability, engine or otherwise. But having burnt your fingers with MAHINDRA why not give TATA a chance?
Old 18th January 2011, 16:33   #36
Team-BHP Support

If the Tata Safari EX 4x4 is available, you can do check with multiple dealers in hyd and see if someone can book one for you?
Old 18th January 2011, 17:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Mile Cruncher,
Followed your threads and shared your travails from your 'boy's gotta a new toy' days to the boy has now become a man. Me too having a love hate relationship with the bolero now bordering on mild dementia. I feel you, man. Talked to TATA guy in chennai and TATA EX 4 x 4 is available, at least in chennai Concorde-if the sales manager is to be believed. I will get you the pricing split up as with on-road price in chennai for you to calculate. Honestly, I dont believe that Sub 10 Lakh SUV is upto the mark in terms of reliability, engine or otherwise. But having burnt your fingers with MAHINDRA why not give TATA a chance?
You really had me in splits with the "Boy's gotta new toy" and "Boy has now become man". This reminds me of a saying by a certain gentleman who is also famous as the 4X4 Guru from Chennai, "The only difference between men and boys, is the size of their toys"

Coming to the question in hand, my need is a pick-up and not SUV. Incase I don't get either of the pick-ups, will continue with the Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If the Tata Safari EX 4x4 is available, you can do check with multiple dealers in hyd and see if someone can book one for you?
Finally got to speak to someone from the TML Area Office and they responded positively to the taxation issue as well. Also confirmed that 3 Xenon 4X4 are available in the factory for delivery.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:57   #38
Team-BHP Support

So the area office finally got around to calling you. Good. If Xenon is ready in factor expect a 3-4 days delivery time once you pay 2L advance to the dealer(After loan approval)
Old 18th January 2011, 18:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the area office finally got around to calling you. Good.
Nope I tracked the Area Office number ( one on the website is wrong) and then tracked the concerned TSM who with arrogance told me that the Xenon is a Lifestyle Vehicle and doesn't have ABS. On repeated persistence to check facts, he called back to eat his words back and started interacting with a lot more humility. Also promised to show me a vehicle from a existing owner.

Quote:
If Xenon is ready in factor expect a 3-4 days delivery time once you pay 2L advance to the dealer(After loan approval)
Honestly my preference would be M&M because of the existing relationship if the dealership is able to pull off the issue with the bank. Else it will be TATA. Hopefully in the next 2-3 days, these should get sorted.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is very wierd actually. The Safari website still talks about the 4WD variants for EX and GX but if you talk to a dealer, they vehemently deny. Can someone please confirm?
Old 19th January 2011, 10:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of the tire size I think the TL had 15" the Xenon XT sports 16" alloys, but I could be wrong.
TL had 16" tyres as well. 205/80/16 good year wrangler at
Old 19th January 2011, 11:11   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Honestly my preference would be M&M because of the existing relationship if the dealership is able to pull off the issue with the bank. Else it will be TATA. Hopefully in the next 2-3 days, these should get sorted.
I thought your relationship with the dealer was not very good, esp since your vehicle had so many problems. You cost of ownership/km was also of the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
It is very wierd actually. The Safari website still talks about the 4WD variants for EX and GX but if you talk to a dealer, they vehemently deny. Can someone please confirm?
The customer care says that Safari 4x4 will be available only in VX trim. I guess the EX and GX could be slightly older stock.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought your relationship with the dealer was not very good, esp since your vehicle had so many problems. You cost of ownership/km was also of the radar
My relationship with the dealership is good. The technicians and SA by now know that they can't BS with me in terms of repair et al. The relationship with the local and H.O. Customer Service Team is good and they have gone out of their way in warranty replacements so no complaints there.

And at 37000 Kms, my maintenance cost (excluding accidental repair) stands at 63paise/Km which is not very bad.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:08   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My relationship with the dealership is good. The technicians and SA by now know that they can't BS with me in terms of repair et al. The relationship with the local and H.O. Customer Service Team is good and they have gone out of their way in warranty replacements so no complaints there.

And at 37000 Kms, my maintenance cost (excluding accidental repair) stands at 63paise/Km which is not very bad.
Does it include tires too? If not, then 63p/km is a tad too high at 37000kms. I was hovering at 40-50p/km for my safari and its a vehicle which is a segment above, and I have had more than the normal share of problems.
That said, you have 2 options in 4x4 pickups, one is the getaway, and other is the Xenon.
Xenon is the better looker, and a more complete vehicle, but getaway could provide you with a relatively trouble free experience. But then even Xenon could. So go with either of them, and you can decide with your heart
Old 19th January 2011, 17:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

The Decision is DONE!

Taking time out today visited my bank branch regarding the complications of registering a BS-III vehicle and got assurance regarding all help/support from their end.

So went straight to the M&M dealer and booked Scorpio Getaway 4X4 in Black Colour. I have been assured delivery in 40 days.

Cheers

Most Viewed