Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 13:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

This is from my GP Kot trip log and I want to stand corrected on certain wrong things I said about time and distances earlier. Distance from 2nd bridge wouldn't be more than 230 to 240 km. And as you guys can all see it took me exactly four hours including a big tea break in Shaktigarh. So if you drive a tad faster than me you can certainly reach in may be three hours or so. I have done day trips to Shantiniketan on dol - so it is highly possible, no questions about that.

Whoops I ended up posting a whole lot of tags and html codes. Will make a seperate post on the log or try and edit here.

2nd Hooghly Bridge 0 km 7:15 am
Dankuni Toll Plaza 22 km 7:44 am
Shaktigarh Tea Break 92 km 8:40 am
Sitarampur Morh 222 km 11.23 am

Matihon can't be more than 20 km from this point.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 31st October 2008 at 13:53. Reason: copied and pasted xml document and there were a whole lot of html tags that got posted unintended
Old 31st October 2008, 13:49   #32
Team-BHP Support

From my past few posts it seems I am the brand ambassador for Maithon.. lol
Sorry guys for supporting the place so strongly, that too when I am out of the scene . You guys go ahead with whichever place suits all, but please do post a good photo of all the cars in the Kolkata group.. The group has become quite large and would love to see the pic of all the rides at one place.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

@ Polished Dome - do i smell something? "khocchis keno?" - is there something wrong - the aerodynamic head is hot, IMO.

@ Sudipto da - please go through this / or simply copy-paste the stuff in notepad and copy-paste it again in the dialogue box of the thread to avoid colour/font tags.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 31st October 2008 at 13:57.
Old 31st October 2008, 14:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think PD is just frustrated that he isn't here . But I like the passion with which he supports his view point.
But seriously, I think the group needs to know one another well first. Except a few old timers and the Sector V wallas, the rest hardly know each other, I thought. This resulted in a stand-up-and-introduce-yourself kind of class room scene in the last meet.
Given that, we could (and perhaps should) spend a lazy picnick kind of day in the Dhulagorh baganbari first (winter is already here and sun light isn't burning my skin anymore in Calcutta) and get to know each other well over 3Ms and then go wherever we want to.
3rd M for me is strictly my wife!!
Old 31st October 2008, 14:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

2.5 hrs to Maithon would require slightly faster average speeds and fairly empty stretches.

As BP said, rather than top speed, what matters is average speed. I've done Lake Town to my place in Asansol multiple times in the 2hr 45min to 3hr time frame non-stop. That's door to door, inlcuding in-town stretches. On all those trips I was mostly around 90-110.

Duration depends on
- how quickly you accelerate to 90-100 from signals,
- how much time you take in overtaking goods vehicles
- the time of the day you are travelling

Basically, maximising the time you can maintain 90-100 speeds.

Having said that, I would say that for a meet-drive, it might take 4hrs.
- We will be driving through the morning traffic
- Crossing Panagarh might take 20 minutes. Pathetic road.
- Driving in a group means, we may have multiple stops.

Isn't there anything of interest at Bardhaman? That would be quicker.
Old 31st October 2008, 14:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

2.5 hour ~ 4 hours -> one way! that is around 8 hours - if everyone is ready for it - its great.

if not - can the baganbari be arranged in November?
Old 31st October 2008, 14:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

108 shiv mandir in bardhaman is a nice and quiet place. but whether going there with 108 cars will make sense - i don't know !!!
Old 31st October 2008, 15:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Do those 'decent dhabas' serve daaru? Meat without daaru would be a big no-no.Otherwise me_sid is right in pointing out the horrible Kolaghat bridge.I hate those fly-filled,stinking lengcha soup which is served in Saktigarh though.

@Toiingg: Please don't make funny face yaar,we will surely do the baganbari meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I never fancied Lyangcha.

However we need to plan for the baganbari meet, as that will need arrangements (like catering etc) to be made.

Lolz man, who does, reason I said lengcha as shaktigrah is kinda quated with lengcha thats why, and moreover we drives gonna be good and usual dhaba food with adda, just that I am sick n tired of Kolkaghat bridge
Old 31st October 2008, 15:03   #39
BHPian

Seems like we can have a BBQ as well. but i do hope you guys make it in the 3rd week of nov.
Old 31st October 2008, 15:05   #40
BHPian

My 2 cents.

In december most of us will be off on trips with family and others ( i guess so ) so i think having the Baganbari meet in November is better.

As sudipto da said. Its better we know each other more than keep on meeting and grouping up with the known faces.

Sudipto da i suppose that's 18 cars not 108
Old 31st October 2008, 15:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

how i wish there were 108 active members from Kolkata!!

can we have the Baganbari meet in November? - where is the daktar?

PS: In december we will have the GOLA MEET part 2
Old 31st October 2008, 15:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
how i wish there were 108 active members from Kolkata!!

PS: In december we will have the GOLA MEET part 2
arggh! Come on! Are you gonna let me out of Kolkata or not?!
Old 31st October 2008, 16:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
arggh! Come on! Are you gonna let me out of Kolkata or not?!
NO WAY - how can we let someone (with a turn-on tatoo) go so easily?

we will love to have you with us for the next 12 years - when do you want me to send the RTO guy to your place for WB registration for the nightrider?
Old 31st October 2008, 20:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Am here,am here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Maithon can be easily done in a day. Night stay is not necessary.
Its not a question of necessity,its a question of practicality Saurabh da.I have been to Bolpur by car in the morning driving at 160+ Kmph at some stretch,seen 40+ patients by afternoon,had a late 4'0 clock lunch at Banalakhsmi and drove back to Kolkata by early evening.I was tired,but that was necessary,because it was a professional commitment.

But this is IMO a more relaxed affair so far as every T-bhp meet is concerned,where we won't be having time-control and hard pressed to reach so and so place in a day,spend there quality time and then be back by same evening!

Don't get me wrong boss,as you have correctly said in your 1st line,Maithon can easily be done in a day provided we start very early and the only thing we concentrate is 'driving'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If you guys go to Maithon all you end up doing is "drive, drive and drive" on a road that has been driven to death by most of us here. I don't see how we can have an adda of any sort in such a meet.
This is exactly the point I want to make,if we are looking for ONLY drive,drive and drive,then am game for Maithon,but don't think we would have scope for a nice adda like in Razor's place last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Maithon works for me.... but let's make it a one day trip.
Do you mean a day trip or a one-day stay trip? As because there is a whole lot to see there apart from the Kalyaneshwari temple.The boat ride and enjoying the lakes' scenic beauty would take more time than we can realise.Plus there should be time for a decent lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks View Post
A 2 day trip to Maithon makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Given that, we could spend a lazy picnick kind of day in the Dhulagorh baganbari first (winter is already here and sun light isn't burning my skin anymore in Calcutta) and get to know each other well over 3Ms and then go wherever we want to.

Winter??!
It was quite hot and humid today Sudipto da! The Sun's glare would have had me,if it was not for my Icecool Grand and Shield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
2.5 hrs to Maithon would require slightly faster average speeds and fairly empty stretches.
Point to be noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Having said that, I would say that for a meet-drive, it might take 4hrs.
- We will be driving through the morning traffic
- Crossing Panagarh might take 20 minutes. Pathetic road.
- Driving in a group means, we may have multiple stops.
Very very pathetic road.It takes me about half an hour to cross Panagarh,and that too if there is no traffic snarl.

Quote:
2.5 hour ~ 4 hours -> one way! that is around 8 hours - if everyone is ready for it - its great.

if not - can the baganbari be arranged in November?
Pulling the dates this quick would be difficult,but I will ask and update ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
so i think having the Baganbari meet in November is better.
As sudipto da said. Its better we know each other more than keep on meeting and grouping up with the known faces.
NOSP,even if we do the baganbari meet be assured that 'grouping up with the known faces' is a thing which we won't be able to restrain.

My 2 cents as well!
If we are looking for a 'drive,drive and drive' meet,why can't we do the Garpanchkot way? me_sid was looking for it too,but probably Sudipto da will back out.Just a thought , the Forest Dept bungalow is great,the drive is almost the same,and chances of night stay in a forest doesn't come easily to us city-breds!
If everybody agrees,we can try another idea! That is Hazaribagh.The same people own another baganbari in Hazaribagh and just after Pujas my wifey,sis,her husband,a friend etc went there for 3-4 days on their Innova.But the only shortcoming is,that place can accomodate about 10-12 people for night stay (availability of bed),but satranchis on the ground will accomodate many more !!

PS: Mods,please excuse the over-limit use of smilies! :-)
Old 31st October 2008, 23:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Do you mean a day trip or a one-day stay trip? As because there is a whole lot to see there apart from the Kalyaneshwari temple.The boat ride and enjoying the lakes' scenic beauty would take more time than we can realise.Plus there should be time for a decent lunch
I meant coming back the same day, but I realize it will be tiring for most.
Quote:
If we are looking for a 'drive,drive and drive' meet,why can't we do the Garpanchkot way? me_sid was looking for it too,but probably Sudipto da will back out.Just a thought , the Forest Dept bungalow is great,the drive is almost the same,and chances of night stay in a forest doesn't come easily to us city-breds!
If everybody agrees,we can try another idea! That is Hazaribagh.The same people own another baganbari in Hazaribagh and just after Pujas my wifey,sis,her husband,a friend etc went there for 3-4 days on their Innova.But the only shortcoming is,that place can accomodate about 10-12 people for night stay (availability of bed),but satranchis on the ground will accomodate many more !!
Garpanchkot was one destination on my mind as well, but it will be tough getting accommodation in the forest dept bungalows. I checked their online booking page - all booked until Dec end. So unless there are any alternate places to stay in Purulia, it won't be feasible.
Hazaribagh is an interesting plan... but let's keep that for another thread. A long drive like that will be a different ball game altogether... but let's keep the idea going. By the way, am not sure if we can get more than 12 people to go there anyway

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks