Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 16:06   #1906
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

63K /5.5 YRS.

Folks,
Since i do not go to the A.S.S want your advice on list of jobs to be done for my CRDE 2.6 vehicle besides the routine oil/filter/belt stuff.
Issues as of now,

1.Star joint noise- Lathe work pending.
2.Vibration .

cheers
Old 25th March 2011, 09:02   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
63K /5.5 YRS.

Folks,
Since i do not go to the A.S.S want your advice on list of jobs to be done for my CRDE 2.6 vehicle besides the routine oil/filter/belt stuff.
Issues as of now,

1.Star joint noise- Lathe work pending.
2.Vibration .

cheers
Pundits,
Pls advice.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:52   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@pradeep:

Just follow the service manual and any other issues you have. Nothing beyond that is needed. If you don't have the service manual, the scorpio website has the details for each service.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:00   #1909
Senior - BHPian

^^ Pradeep, Scorpio model details please.

Spike
Old 25th March 2011, 15:25   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@pradeep:......the scorpio website has the details for each service.
Where?? I have looked & looked, specially under the "Already an owner?" link, but without any luck. Would appreciate if you can copy-paste the URL here.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th March 2011, 15:42   #1911
BANNED

Hariya's first technical issue.

Hey Spikey and others,
Since the past 3-4 days, when I turn Hariya (My Scorpio CRDe done 44k kms) steering almost completely to the left, say while parallel parking etc, I hear a strange noise like something stretching something or twisting something. It happens very lightly when I turn the steering completely to the right though.

It is like Chirrr chirrrr on a piece of metal against another piece of metal.

No leakages, no increased effort, no vehicle pulling to a side, etc.

What could it be?
Old 27th March 2011, 15:52   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hariya's first technical issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Since the past 3-4 days, when I turn Hariya (My Scorpio CRDe done 44k kms) steering almost completely to the left, say while parallel parking etc, I hear a strange noise like something stretching something or twisting something........What could it be?
Not sure if this is the cause of the above issue, but this is what I found in the "What's that sound?" thread:

Yyyyoooooowwwwrrrrrrr
WHERE: Under the hood. WHEN: Whenever you rotate the steering wheel all the way to the left or right steering stop and hold it there.
WHAT: The pressure relief valve inside the pump is dumping excess power-steering hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir. It’s supposed to do that, although maybe a little more quietly.
URGENCY: No big deal.
FIX: It’s normal. Actually, you should check the level of powersteering fluid in the pump. Don’t hold the wheel hard on the stop like that; it annoys pedestrians and is tough on the belt.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th March 2011, 16:04   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Not sure if this is the cause of the above issue, but this is what I found in the "What's that sound?" thread:

-------------
I agree with Vikram.

Quote:
It happens very lightly when I turn the steering completely to the right though.

What could it be?
You may ask, why this noise only on one side? Probably because your wheel turning angle setting may be different on both wheels. BTW, is your turning radius same on both sides?

Spike
Old 27th March 2011, 16:13   #1914
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
WHAT: The pressure relief valve inside the pump is dumping excess power-steering hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir. It’s supposed to do that, although maybe a little more quietly.
Hmmm, so it is normal. But this racket wasn't there earlier. Can I do something to reduce it back to silent levels? I do not hold the steering at full lock usually since I know that it puts undue load on the pump and the belt along with the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
BTW, is your turning radius same on both sides?
Seems so, lemme check that. But tell me Spike, would having lower tire pressures due to the vehicle lying unused for say, a fortnight aggravate the sound?

While we are at it, there is one more thing. During my highway drives at nights, after I have had the rat menace on Hariya, my headlights, sometimes, for a second or two, appear to become brighter. Is this an alternator regulator issue or a loose contact?
Old 27th March 2011, 16:42   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems so, lemme check that. But tell me Spike, would having lower tire pressures due to the vehicle lying unused for say, a fortnight aggravate the sound?
How much lower that's the question.

Quote:
During my highway drives at nights, after I have had the rat menace on Hariya, my headlights, sometimes, for a second or two, appear to become brighter. Is this an alternator regulator issue or a loose contact?
Hmm, possible. BTW, what's the rat menace?

Spike
Old 27th March 2011, 18:08   #1916
BANNED

Quote:
How much lower that's the question.Spike
By about 3-5 PSI.
Quote:
Hmm, possible. BTW, what's the rat menace?Spike
Oh, that is a long story of how some rats took a liking to Hariya's parking, chewed up his under bonnet insulation, the front flasher and parking light wires etc etc. More details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...o-my-life.html
Old 27th March 2011, 20:39   #1917
Senior - BHPian

^^ I don't think 3-5 PSI difference will aggravate the sound too much. Yes, there will be a small difference, nothing substantial.

Spike
Old 28th March 2011, 01:30   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Hi Scorpio Gurus,
I got delivery of my new Scorpio SLE today. Everything seems to be fine and the vehicle seems to be an amazing machine. But there is small niggle/problem that is causing me lost of my sleep. I took the car for a drive on the NICE road today and when I was on a deserted stretch I decide to check out the braking after checking out the pickup. Now here the things seems to have gone a different way that I would've liked, almost literally. When I braked hard from a speed of 80kmph+, the Scorp seems to be pulling towards the left side. I initially thought it might be the road gradient so decided to try it out on the same stretch that I tried with the Demo vehicle. Even there also the car did veered or tried to move towards the left on hard braking. I confirmed this with my friend who was riding shotgun with me. Tried in few other stretches and it had the same issue. In the test drive vehicle this was not an issue and the car did stopped in a straight line without any fuss. Although it's not that scary but still a bit un-nerving. What can be the issue? Hope that it's not something major. Should I get the brakes checked asap? Or should I wait and see if things get improved after few hundreds of kilometers of drive? Please help me out here..
Old 28th March 2011, 02:07   #1919
BANNED

Pretty usual actually. If your car wanders to a side even when you are not braking, it is the alignment of the wheels and if it wanders only when braking, get the brakes checked. Their bite is not even on all the wheels.

Unless the pull is very severe and your use is within the city, you could leave it till the first service as well, if you do not have the time or inclination to get it done immediately.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:50   #1920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
What can be the issue?
You probably need a wheel alignment check, with adjustment of the caster angle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks