Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 11:36   #1156
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes - my mistake
i checked on friday and realized my dad had trod on the brake pedal before removing the key.

and i couldnt find the brake light switch. will locate it next time i visit the service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Shankar, the rear brake-lights do not come on with application of the hand brake.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:42   #1157
Senior - BHPian

my scorpio has been suffering a strange problem from the very beginning but since its very rare, we are not able to convey to the A.S.S what exactly we mean.

Somtimes, when the car is slowing down or when we are braking, the car starts to judder, as if its stalling. the car stalls (though the engine never shuts down) even with the clutch fully depressed & even after we engage neutral. sometimes, it judders violently. the only way to stop the juddering is to tap the accelerator a bit with the gear in neutral.

it occurs very rarely & so i am unable to show this to my A.S.S, anybody here has a clue about this?
Old 26th April 2010, 15:28   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Hi Spike, I have a 2 WD. Noticable wobbling sensation through the steering was there some time back, it has disappeared after the wheel alignment. However, the whole vehicle starts shaking at high speeds and sensation increases as speed increases.

Hubs were checked but certified ok by the A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I believe you experience this wobbling sensation through the steering wheel, assuming your Scorpio to be a 2wd, this looks like a case of low speed shimmy. Does this increase as your speed increases? If all the points mentioned above are found to be OK, it is possible that your hub and rotor assembly are out/unbalanced, get both wheels checked for these.Spike
Old 26th April 2010, 15:32   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj, I have had the same issue, it was taken care by by cleaning the air filter & Tuning the Engine Parameters (a very generic statement by the A.S.S.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
my scorpio has been suffering a strange problem from the very beginning but since its very rare, we are not able to convey to the A.S.S what exactly we mean.

Somtimes, when the car is slowing down or when we are braking, the car starts to judder, as if its stalling. the car stalls (though the engine never shuts down) even with the clutch fully depressed & even after we engage neutral. sometimes, it judders violently. the only way to stop the juddering is to tap the accelerator a bit with the gear in neutral.

it occurs very rarely & so i am unable to show this to my A.S.S, anybody here has a clue about this?
Old 26th April 2010, 17:50   #1160
BHPian

How to connect mobile (via bluetooth)to audio & attend a call in scorpio vlx?
Old 26th April 2010, 19:11   #1161
Senior - BHPian

thanks upreti. but my mahidra A.S.S wont understand the problem & also what tuning the engine means!!!
Old 26th April 2010, 19:27   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the problem goes away by tapping the accelerator then that is an indicator that the engine is being starved of fuel. If it isnt solved by cleaning the air filter/ fuel filter then this has got to do with the fuel delivery and return system and possibly the injectors too. Especially since its a crdi engine. DO check for possible error codes in the ecu at the service centre.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 26th April 2010 at 19:29.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:18   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
Hi guys, I wanted to share this information for the benefit of all Scorpio owners, especially who owns the latest MHawk series.
I had noticed that my left real wheel was getting locked up during hard breaking(I’ve talked about this in different TBHP threads in the past) and have brought it to the notice of A.S.S during my first service. I was told that it has been fixed, but I noticed the problem the very next day. After trying couple of more unsuccessful attempts with A.S.S, escalated the complaint to M&M and my Scorp was taken back for a detailed testing. I got it back after 4 days, claiming that the problem has been fixed. When I did a test drive, it appeared that it has been fixed. Few days later, it re-appeared, by then I also noticed that the same wheel had a small puncture and was losing the pressure. Fixed the puncture and for few days the break worked fine. I started to notice the screech again, though it was minimal and only appeared occasionally.
It was by then the time for the second service (6 months, 10000 K/Ms, I’m still due on my Travelogues, sorry about that!). This time I mentioned to A.S.S that I want to get this problem fixed forever. To my surprise, the service adviser says that they have a circular from M&M, saying the break liners in new Scorps are faulty and they are in the process of replacing them. Though I was relieved a bit, I was upset that I was driving a massive 2 ton SUV since last 6 month, with a faulty break liner, and M&M never bothered to inform me at least!
The story continues- As usual, I got a call in the evening saying ‘all is well!’ I did a test drive again and there is was again screeeech! When I asked them what they did with my break liner, I was told that the circular was to chamfer the break liner surface and not actually replace it. However, the amount of chamfering they did wasn’t enough! They took the car back, removed the break liners and chamfered them again. I was in a state of shock , while all these happed and the whole thing was very unprofessional. The mechanics at the A.S.S were very helpful, though. They fitted everything back and now the wheel doesn’t lock and I confirmed the ABS is working by skidding in the smooth workshop floor. However, I now feel the breaking distance, even in regular breaking, has come down. Have to check in detail.
Exactly 3 weeks later, I have run in to the same problem again. I called up M&M helpline and re-opened my earlier compliant on this and specifically mentioned not to involve A.S.S. I got a call some time later asking me the details but there was no further action taken for another week. I called them up again and finally another technical expert from their A.S.S got in touch with me. Yesterday I got the Scorp back and I'm now told that the rear break liners are replaced with a different material (Now, what else can I do other than believing this?) and an assurance that the problem won’t re-appear!
Old 27th April 2010, 15:25   #1164
BHPian

@Casperrider - Do you have any idea if this brake liner fault pertains to only a certain batch or is it something to check in all mhawk refresh series? I have a strange problem where in i get this screech when i brake, but this happens only in a specific part of the cement floor in our office parking. The floor in that part is really smooth compared to the other areas and has no tyre grip at all. I am little paranoid now after reading your problems.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:51   #1165
BHPian

@Mission_Safari: The Screech I've been experiencing was very specific to my real-left wheel, whenever it happens. It doesn’t not happen always for sure, at some time, at a particular speed(?) and ONLY happens with the said wheel. I would not been so much worried if it was happening on both the real wheels, as it will still maintain the balance.

A.S.S did not tell me specifics about the batch and timeline of manufacturing, since they have accepted and changed the part, it appears like a part/batch issue. My Scorp is sep 2009.

I did a test drive on the vinyl flooring of their workshop and the moment the drag starts, the ABS comes on so there was no screech. If you don’t experience this elsewhere apart from your parking, I think you are safe
Old 29th April 2010, 10:10   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj, This goes for all the A.S.S. , the neighbourhood mechanics are better in this regard. I had similar issues with my Wagon R, the A.S.S. tried for over six months and ultimately it was the roadside mechanic who identified the issue withing minutes and rectification cost me 800 Rs. for injector cleaning with a an engine tuning & rectification of auto lock on the driver side door thrown in for free. However, since it was a 5 yr old vehicle I had no qualms in taking it to a non A.S.S. mechanic.

Quote:
thanks upreti. but my mahidra A.S.S wont understand the problem & also what tuning the engine means!!!
Old 29th April 2010, 13:54   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
@Mission_Safari: The Screech I've been experiencing was very specific to my real-left wheel, whenever it happens. It doesn’t not happen always for sure, at some time, at a particular speed(?) and ONLY happens with the said wheel. I would not been so much worried if it was happening on both the real wheels, as it will still maintain the balance.

A.S.S did not tell me specifics about the batch and timeline of manufacturing, since they have accepted and changed the part, it appears like a part/batch issue. My Scorp is sep 2009.

I did a test drive on the vinyl flooring of their workshop and the moment the drag starts, the ABS comes on so there was no screech. If you don’t experience this elsewhere apart from your parking, I think you are safe
How did you figure out that its only the left wheel locking up ? I experienced the same thing this morning. But it lasted only for the first 2 instances when I braked hard .Was driving out of my apartment parking to the main road.

About 3 weeks back I remember the wheels locking during a casual weekend drive. This again within 1km of driving and I tried to see if the Scorp' exhibited the same behavior again during hard braking. Albeit all thru the drive no problems what so ever.

This morning I drove like 24kms to office and no problems at all. The thing I have noticed during both these instances of wheel locking up is that it tends to happen only during the 1st few kms of running after the 1st start. All is well after that.

I will check this again tomorrow in the morning and if I see the problem then the weekend is gonna be well spent at M&M 's A S S.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 29th April 2010 at 13:56.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:21   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Free Wheelieee!!

Hi Guys,

Now this happened to me some days back!

I was on my regular drive to office and was doing my 70+ speeds when I heard a metal 'cluck' kind of noise. No adverse symptoms exhibited from the car, however I pulled the car over and realized that air was hissing out of a 2 match stick thick hole from the Rear left tyre. Called up the Scorpio helpline who attended promptly by sending the 'Hamesha' Scorpio within 20 min. The mechanic comes over replaces the by then flat tyre with the spare and tells me "all is well"!

I tip him and was on my way to office again. After driving for 5+km or so, I hear a sudden thud noise as if my Rear left tyre has become flat again and luckily was driving <40+kmph speeds(for some reason!). I slowly pulled the car over to the left of the road and get down to see what happened?
To my surprise, there is no alloy/tyre, the CAR is sitting on the brake DRUM!! I look around and let the pictures talk the remaining.

The tyre is sitting pretty away from the car by a good distance. My car must have been on the drum for a good 20 metres at least!!

I call up the DGM-Service and appraise him of the situation who dispatches his "Hamesa" Scorpio with a team of three "qualified" personnel with new wheel nuts and two cold water bottles!
I decided to call it a day and head home when I was advised by the DGM-Service that they need to re-check the brake drum, transmission axle, stud bolts etc and was required to get my car to ASC. I oblige, thanking my stars that I was alive and my car did not have any damage.

My car was thoroughly checked and cleared 'Road worthy'. I declared the "Hamesha Scorpio" guy(who first attended to my cars flat tyre) "NOT WORTHY" for the Free wheelieee which happened to me as I saw it in only movies till then!!

Lesson learnt:: check for the full tightening of wheel nuts when a flat tyre smiles at you on your OWN!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-wheelz-1.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-wheelz-2.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-wheelz-3.jpg  

Old 29th April 2010, 15:27   #1169
Senior - BHPian

surya that sure is a scary experience. BTW whats with the Scorpio's and their rear wheels coming off ? I have seen a Scorp' stranded in bangy with its rear wheel missing. From the marks on the road it was evident that the rear wheel got detached from the drum.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:31   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

Lesson learnt:: check for the full tightening of wheel nuts when a flat tyre smiles at you on your OWN!!
You're very lucky! This could have been disastrous. Sue them for negligence!

Last edited by Eddy : 29th April 2010 at 23:34. Reason: Pls don't quote a long message. It hampers readability for our mobile users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks