Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 21:53   #1111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Blackening of oil happens due to blow by.
How much blow by is taking place needs to be assessed.

Is the car also consuming oil?
Do have the compression checked. If that is within limits you need not worry.

What is blow by ??? Oil consumption is about 150 ml per 1000Kms. How to / Where to check the Compression ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What does your periodic maintenance schedule specify? Is this within limits?
The oil change is at about every 5000 Kms. Air filter / Oil filter / Fuel filter is changed every 10000Kms or sometimes on 20000Kms. I think this is in the Limit. All the services are done in Local Garage and not in ASC. Please Let me know if this is not in the limit.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 1st April 2010 at 09:49. Reason: See the note in your post.
Old 31st March 2010, 23:24   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
The oil change is at about every 5000 Kms. Air filter / Oil filter / Fuel filter is changed every 10000Kms or sometimes on 20000Kms. I think this is in the Limit. All the services are done in Local Garage and not in ASC. Please Let me know if this is not in the limit.
Iamback, please stick to the manufacturers recommendation as mentioned in the owners manual. If still not clear please PM me.

Spike
Old 31st March 2010, 23:42   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Life and quality of oil cannot be determined by the color. Blacked oil doesn't mean bad oil. As gd1418 pointed out, it needs to tested to determine the quality. My cousin has been doing oil changes on his 2.6 non - crde scoripio every 10K kilometers and so far it has clocked close to 180K kms mostly in Bangalore traffic.
My scorpio is also Same 2.6 nON-crde Turbo SLX and it has clocked about 120K Kms. Mostly use for Long Drive Trips.

I remember One Incident When We went to Tirupati which is in AP. It took about Continuous 24 Hours drive from Pune to Tirupati. Is we drove about 1K Kms Continuously non-stop in 24 hrs. When we reached Tirupati The Cap in the Centre of Front Wheels and the Grease just fall off on the road. Is this happened due to overheating of Front Wheel Shaft ?

P.S. My scorpio was running without Hub Cap and Here CAP means the Black Cap on the front wheel where the grease is filled.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:33   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Is this happened due to overheating of Front Wheel Shaft ?

P.S. My scorpio was running without Hub Cap and Here CAP means the Black Cap on the front wheel where the grease is filled.
Scorpio is a rear wheel drive vehicle and there is no front wheel shaft. The cap could have fallen off due to the nuts coming loose. either way there is no drive shaft in front and the cap is just to keep the grease clean. You can continue driving but get the cap put back as soon as possible.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:52   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Scorpio is a rear wheel drive vehicle and there is no front wheel shaft. The cap could have fallen off due to the nuts coming loose. either way there is no drive shaft in front and the cap is just to keep the grease clean. You can continue driving but get the cap put back as soon as possible.
I think your are talking about something different. adding a pic to let you know which cap had fallen.
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpwheel.jpg
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:44   #1116
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear iamback - the grease retainer cap will fall off if the pressure inside the wheel hub exceeds a certain design value which will happen if excess heat builds up in this area. There is a standard operating procedure for servicing front wheel bearings, which includes exact steps to be followed for setting bearing preload, the specification of lubricating grease to be used, the quantity of the same to be used per hub (the grease box is divided into four quarters for this), the specification and quantity of sealant to be applied to the grease retainer cup and the special tool to be used to attach the cup to the wheel hub. If this process is followed, the grease retainer cup will never fall off.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:00   #1117
Senior - BHPian

In addition to things mentioned above also be careful of the following:-

Water and dust are two main reasons for bearing failures so,
1. Never clean the bearing in water.
2. Never spin the bearing with compressed air to check if it is OK, as air contains moisture.
3. Always apply loctite in the seating face and radius of the cover.
4. Check hub play at every 30000 km.
5. Change the grease at 50000 km (Use a Lithium complex grease for this application)

Spike

P.S. While tightening the inner nut, keep rotating the wheel. This will avoid roller and track damages.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:58   #1118
BHPian

I was passing along side a controlled jungle fire in my Scorpio with AC in recirculation mode, I smell the smoke instantaneously, this was not the case with previous VLX, I believe there is some thing wrong either with AC or some place is allowing the dust and air to come in thick and fast in AC recirculation mode.
Let me know what might be the cause of the this, I have done the first servicing on last Saturday and did mention about AC, looks like nothing has been changed, will have to go back to service center.

-Pramod
Old 6th April 2010, 12:37   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

even in my 2 year old Lx, sometimes when passing areas which may have either a canal or open drain such as in parts of Koramangala in bangalore, while driving with the AC on in recirc mode and with all windows rolled up tight, I do get a whiff of the effluvia outside.
i wonder why.
however, while driving in normal traffic, even if there is a smoke belching, badly maintained bus or lorry in front i dont get the smoke whiff.
I switch my blower fan/ AC to fresh mode only while driving on the highways or on country roads or in the early mornings with the windows rolled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I was passing along side a controlled jungle fire in my Scorpio with AC in recirculation mode, I smell the smoke instantaneously, this was not the case with previous VLX, I believe there is some thing wrong either with AC or some place is allowing the dust and air to come in thick and fast in AC recirculation mode.
Let me know what might be the cause of the this, I have done the first servicing on last Saturday and did mention about AC, looks like nothing has been changed, will have to go back to service center.

-Pramod
Old 6th April 2010, 13:24   #1120
Senior - BHPian

I have had the same experience that Shankar had, especially the canal smell near Domlur and Koramangala .

Let me try to see if the smell stops when I turn the knob to fresh air mode, just to rule out the possibility of reversal in the labelling on the Scorpio's Dash.

Last edited by mooza : 6th April 2010 at 13:26.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:32   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Brake booster!!

Hi Friends,

I was away traveling on Business and was unable check this site frequently.

I had a problem with my ride 3 weeks ago. I was at 40Kmph or so and the Indica(owner driven)in front of me with a healthy gap of another scorpio in between braked hard to avoid hitting a lady and her daughter on a Honda Activa(taking sudden left without any notice!). I could see this happening, and braked hard(felt the ABS pulsations on the brake pedal) to stop the car, which regularly would stop without hitting the car ahead. But not that day, I went and banged into the Indica rear which jumped off a few feat and the owner sped up without stopping thinking probably I would hold his neck for what has happened. However, he was only avoiding the lady!
Anyways, my problem was the vehicle with ABS would not stop at 40KMPH

I had a damaged front crash gaurd, which I got it repaired last weekend back in India! Then I went to the A.S.S and explained them what happened, we went on a test drive and the diagnosis was that my car had a bad brake booster! A.S.S.replaced the brake booster(the one that is attached to brake master cylinder) and said the car is fine. My questions to this group is- Did anyone else have experienced this??

Also, My car is due for 35K servicing. What are the things I must be looking for other than the ones mentioned in the manual?? GD earlier clarified my question of changing to synthetic oil.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:04   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

i used to have this outside smell trouble in my Bolero Sportz (2005) XD3PU. But I cant complain because I saw very early on before buying, that the Bolero never had a Recirc mode at all - the AC/ Heater only had "Fresh" mode.
I wonder why they take these shortcuts.

However the Scorpio being a much more advanced and much more expensive vehicle, ought not to have these kinds of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I have had the same experience that Shankar had, especially the canal smell near Domlur and Koramangala .

Let me try to see if the smell stops when I turn the knob to fresh air mode, just to rule out the possibility of reversal in the labelling on the Scorpio's Dash.
Old 6th April 2010, 19:49   #1123
BHPian

I bought a Scorpio Sle two weeks back and noticed that the front(driver and co driver) mats are getting wet. When it was checked by the service guy he told that ac drain pipe was bent(pinched) and because of this some water was leaking inside. I think this has solved the issue. I am not 100% sure as I left to Germany in the week end. I will find out if this is the issue in 2-3 days.
Has any one faced this issue?.
Old 6th April 2010, 23:43   #1124
Distinguished - BHPian

Would anyone be aware if the Xylo (E6/E8)'s rear fog lamps can be retrofitted to the Scorpio easily? The slot appears to be the same, but is the wiring already in place? The right steering stalk already has two positions for switching on the front and rear fogs like in the Xylo, but is the second position wired up?
Old 7th April 2010, 07:27   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However the Scorpio being a much more advanced and much more expensive vehicle, ought not to have these kinds of issues.
Absolutely. At the least, the air circulation problems of the older generation Scorpios should have been addressed in the later models, which does not seem to have happened, going by the experiences shared here.

Hope M&M does something about this. Having fresh air leak in all the time will also be reducing the cooling efficiency, I suppose.

I tried out the "fresh air position" yesterday. The percolation of external odors was worse. So the labelling on the dash is correct, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks