Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 17:52   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

went today and spent 4 hours at the sks garage. Got all 4 of the scorp brakes disassembled, thoroughly checked and cleaned using the rust off solvent and brake spray etc. Great job! Stood there throughout. LSPV also checked and found fine. Then checked the rear suspension bushes which were worn down so changed them too. Spent 1800. Also bought the 2 year extended warranty at 13grand. Scorp was pronounced tip top. Feels much better too!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st March 2010 at 17:56.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:19   #1037
Senior - BHPian

I had an aftermarket TPMS installed in my 2004 Scorpio for 10K. It came with 4 sensors and one dispaly unit. When checked, I was told that it comes for only 4 tyres. So installing a stepney would result in a display from actually three on road wheels.

To circumvent the problem, I resorted to changing the rims at every 5 wheel rotation. Too much of a tedious and time consuming job. In one of such exercise last time, the worker broke one of the sensors while removing. That was the end of my TPMS experience.

I dunno if the factory installed TPMS system in 2009 models and the M-Ha Ha has 5 sensors or not. If they too are with 4 sensors then the reading that you've mentioned in your point #:2 is that of the punctured tyre that you put in the stepney and not of the one you installed after the puncture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
need some inputs from people owning refreshed scorp 2009 model +

1. I dont see any spare tyre pressure on TPMS display - is that how it is supposed to be?

2. after a recent puncture, I change the the tyre - the spare tyre when deployed continued to shown 29 psi/26 degrees temp after 50 km run - is that normal as well? Original tyre when corrected and replaced back gave all the right temp/pressure indications.

3. The TPMS sensor starts beeping once tyre pressure goes below 26 (I think) - so how do you drive a 4x4 in sand - it is normal to deflate tyres below this limit on soft sand. any way to turn off the beeping?

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:50   #1038
Senior - BHPian

An update to the issues of my GLX have been given here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...pio-glx-4.html
Old 5th March 2010, 13:08   #1039
Senior - BHPian

My Scorpio (Sep '08) finally crossed 10K Kms.

The laundry list of new as well as recurring issues is still open.

M&M is looking into the issues. Will update once a detailed report comes.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:38   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I had an aftermarket TPMS installed in my 2004 Scorpio for 10K. It came with 4 sensors and one dispaly unit.
If they too are with 4 sensors then the reading that you've mentioned in your point #:2 is that of the punctured tyre that you put in the stepney and not of the one you installed after the puncture.
gd1418,
The reading could be default as well in case it does not get data from one of the tyres. Will check with service engineers next time I visit.
BTW. what was the stated battery life of the aftermarket TPMS?
Old 5th March 2010, 21:42   #1041
BHPian

Brake problem or none..

I noticed this for sometime now so need some help in understanding

I usually park at a place which has an incline - and the scorp stays with its front at a higher grad than the backside for 10 hours at a stretch.

When I shift to neutral and press the clutch, the car goes downhill (expected), BUT pressing brakes (not the handbrake) has next to no effect atleast for 3-5 seconds - you need to come down hard - but by then the car has slipped some good distance.

Expected or problem? If expected, what is the reason.

I have to use the handbrake - which is safer - but why does this happen?
Old 5th March 2010, 22:33   #1042
Senior - BHPian

When you do this, is the engine running or off? If the the engine is off then of course the brake response is going to take sometime as the power brake functions only when the engine is running. With the engine off, the brakes will function but albeit in hydraulic mode where the response time is dlayed and you also will have to step on the brake pedal hard.

If this happens while the engine is running, then you need to get the brake system checked immediately. Maybe a routine bleeding would correct the problem if there is some air in the lines. Or one of the cylinders in the rear wheels is not functioning. IMO, the bleeding should solve the problem.

But all of this depends on the status of the engine.

Quote:
I noticed this for sometime now so need some help in understanding

I usually park at a place which has an incline - and the scorp stays with its front at a higher grad than the backside for 10 hours at a stretch.

When I shift to neutral and press the clutch, the car goes downhill (expected), BUT pressing brakes (not the handbrake) has next to no effect atleast for 3-5 seconds - you need to come down hard - but by then the car has slipped some good distance.

Expected or problem? If expected, what is the reason.

Old 5th March 2010, 23:24   #1043
BHPian

Engine off scenario - Thanks for the explaining.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:33   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A nice thing I added into my Scorpio on Saturday was the Insulation Shield which is mounted using plastic "plugs" inside the Bonnet (inner surface).

This is useful in containing both engine noise and heat.

It used to be there in my old Bolero Sportz and came as OEM with that Jeep when I bought it in 2005.

It did not come in the Scorpio when I bought it in 2008.

I believe it comes as OEM only with the top end Scorpios and so on - part of the value engineering programme at M&M - a bit penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion, because the cost of it really cant be all that much.

Paid about 2000/- for it including installation.

Am now awaiting the Booklet etc of the Extended Warranty which I bought last week. I believe it takes one month or so.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:17   #1045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
gd1418 : With the engine off, the brakes will function but albeit in hydraulic mode where the response time is dlayed and you also will have to step on the brake pedal hard.
But will work for may be 3-4 pumps, after which there would be no action.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:05   #1046
BHPian

Do anybody know of this, and how can we in India get this option
:: Mahindra REFRESH ::
LSD or MDL option on Scorpio.

-Pramod
Old 8th March 2010, 12:29   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...When I shift to neutral and press the clutch, the car goes downhill (expected), BUT pressing brakes (not the handbrake) has next to no effect atleast for 3-5 seconds - you need to come down hard - but by then the car has slipped some good distance.
Quote:
Engine off scenario - Thanks for the explaining.
Adzegeek,

If you are saying that you park your vehicle on a slope and use only the gear to stop the vehicle from rolling, without engaging the handbrakes, I would recommend you stop this practice and start having the handbrakes also engaged. Let the handbrakes be the primary brakes that stop the roll and let the gear provide a back-up to this.

This way, when you release the gear in the morning, the vehicle will remain stationary and not roll back.

You are lucky that Scorpio's brakes work even with the engine off, a very good feature that is missing in others!
Old 8th March 2010, 12:31   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A nice thing I added into my Scorpio on Saturday was the Insulation Shield which is mounted using plastic "plugs" inside the Bonnet (inner surface).
This is useful in containing both engine noise and heat.
Hi Shankar, Thanks for this information!

What is the percentage reduction in noise that you feel, approximately?

Hope this can be done for my 2004 non CRDE Scorp. Does this cover the entire inner bonnet area?

Regards
Old 13th March 2010, 11:45   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
You are lucky that Scorpio's brakes work even with the engine off, a very good feature that is missing in others!

Are you sure of this ? I have checked in my VLX the Brakes do not work with engine off, after a couple of pumps the pedal stops responding.

There should be something for this, imagine a situation if the engine shuts due to any reason on a downhill descent or during high speeds

Last edited by m_upreti : 13th March 2010 at 11:47.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:58   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Are you sure of this ? I have checked in my VLX the Brakes do not work with engine off, after a couple of pumps the pedal stops responding.

There should be something for this, imagine a situation if the engine shuts due to any reason on a downhill descent or during high speeds
They stop working after a few pumps.

You always have the handbrake though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks