Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 19:52   #1066
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajat:

Since M&M has offered to take your vehicle to the factory and give you a xylo for temporary use, why don't you take them on the offer so that rectify the issue. Other than that, it doesn't seem like you have much choice other than sell of this lemon and buy another vehicle.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:24   #1067
Senior - BHPian

@rajat, what is the status of your vehicle? any updates?

Spike
Old 15th March 2010, 20:31   #1068

Thanks all,

Having come so far, will try my best to get this sorted out, before I sell off the Scorp.

Will PM the people you guys have mentioned. Will post back any updates.

Regards,

actually, to tell you the truth, it was almost nice for the first two years to spend time at the workshop, making sure the scorp came out better performing, but was getting tired, hence feel almost cheated that after such a truthful disclosure that if the problems cant be sorted out, would much rather sell it off, still feel like I was ripped off, at least for the extended warranty front, what with the promises from Corporate that it will be sorted out.
What is really bugging is that they still want to TRY, as if nothing else matters.

Really envy the guys whose Scorpios run well, mean it in a good way!!

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd March 2010 at 15:19. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:33   #1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@rajat, what is the status of your vehicle? any updates?

Spike
Hi,

Still awaiting a call from the M&M people to come pick up my car. In the meantime, I have a few pics on what happened to the car on the steering issue. Both the left & right front shoulders were changed. The pics are of the right shoulder. It had developed this gash (seen bright in all pics). Thereafter I have been advised not to turn the steering all the way

Just wanted to know if this has happened to any one else as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-1.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-2.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-3.jpg  

Old 16th March 2010, 11:21   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Rajat, after seeing the pictures and then again going through your first post in detail, I want to ask did you change tyres from stock to oversize? If yes, then what is or was the tyre size.

The gash visible in the pictures does not happen normally when turning the steering lock to lock if you have stock tyres, i.e. 235 x 70 x R15 or R16 as the case may be.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:49   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Rajat, after seeing the pictures and then again going through your first post in detail, I want to ask did you change tyres from stock to oversize? If yes, then what is or was the tyre size.

The gash visible in the pictures does not happen normally when turning the steering lock to lock if you have stock tyres, i.e. 235 x 70 x R15 or R16 as the case may be.
Hi gd1418,

I have the regular Bridgestone tyres that were made available with the Slx. I did opt for the alloys, though. These also were the standard alloys that are available with the Vlx (got them from the dealer himself).

What I was shown at the A.S.S.(& pardon the noob-ness here) was that there is a round metal protrusion somewhere inside the metal part of the tyre frame. This is similar to the round hub, which we find at the back of SUVs, to fix trailers etc., though smaller in size. This is built in such a way that its supposed to touch the shoulder. I was also told that this happens only in this particular model. As mentioned in the original post, for the first few times, they simply covered the part with some rubber dongle, which would dampen the effect of rubbing, hence removing sound, but a months - two months of turning the tyre all the way would eat into this dongle and the sound would reappear.

Again, & more loudly this time...
Is this normal? Cause I know this will reappear in some time if I turn the steering all the way!!
Old 16th March 2010, 14:05   #1072
Senior - BHPian

This I'm hearing for the first time. Never heard before. Will other owners of similar model please confirm?

Rajat, could you provide pictures of this round metal protrusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajat13777 View Post
Hi gd1418,

What I was shown at the A.S.S.(& pardon the noob-ness here) was that there is a round metal protrusion somewhere inside the metal part of the tyre frame. This is similar to the round hub, which we find at the back of SUVs, to fix trailers etc., though smaller in size. This is built in such a way that its supposed to touch the shoulder. I was also told that this happens only in this particular model. As mentioned in the original post, for the first few times, they simply covered the part with some rubber dongle, which would dampen the effect of rubbing, hence removing sound, but a months - two months of turning the tyre all the way would eat into this dongle and the sound would reappear.

Again, & more loudly this time...
Is this normal? Cause I know this will reappear in some time if I turn the steering all the way!!
Old 16th March 2010, 15:00   #1073

Well, I did not take pics of that part

But will try to explain (going into noob-mode again)

When you take off the wheel, you are faced with a series of round metal strips/ plates. This protrusion is right behind the disk plate and is facing/ slanting upwards. When you turn the steering, the entire set of circular plates move on their axis , resulting in this protrusion meeting the shoulder at the place where you see the dent.

Idea to have this protrusion (as per A.S.S.)
To ensure that there is some type of stoppage when you are turning the steering and so that there is no "load on the steering bracket" (read - I dont understand one bit of it!!)
Also just checked with the supervisor at the A.S.S. - Sterling Motors (at least that I have been able to achieve in 2 years is that each & every person at that place knows me by face) and was told that this is present in each & every Scorpio, whether new or old

Also, wanted to know if the brake problem that I am facing can be sorted out by installing the brake discs of the mHawk. While speaking to one of the mechanics at the A.S.S., he unwittingly mentioned that this problem can be sorted out that way. Have already made a request for the same to be tried.....
Old 16th March 2010, 15:43   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2007(dec-end) Slx CRDE Scorpio (done about 50K in 1.5yrs), which has been a constant torture, since the day that it was purchased.
The latest is that M&M corporate personnel have shared this problem with their 'Plant People' and want me to give my car to them, against which I would be given a Xylo to drive, till they rectify this problem...
Unfortunate that the issue remains unsolved for long. But from what you say, it does look like M&M is trying to understand and hopefully fix the issue.

And fortunately for you, we have few M&M R&D people over here, who might be able to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...Since M&M has offered to take your vehicle to the factory and give you a xylo for temporary use, why don't you take them on the offer so that rectify the issue. Other than that, it doesn't seem like you have much choice other than sell of this lemon and buy another vehicle.
+1 to that. Let them take the time and effort to fix it. And in such time, you are getting a newer model for use. Let them fix it and if you still don't feel comfortable, sell it off.
Old 16th March 2010, 19:06   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Ok, then every single owner of the Scorpio should have this problem, right?

Quote:
and was told that this is present in each & every Scorpio, whether new or old
Old 17th March 2010, 14:49   #1076
BHPian

Can any of the mhawk 4wd owners confirm that engaging 4wd low causes display indicator lamp to blink for 6 seconds. Mine doesn't - it shifts from 4h to 4l without any blinking. Cheers
Old 18th March 2010, 12:34   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Let me check this again once I get my Scorpio back from the A. S. S., but I repeated this experiment with the Xylo I am driving these days on the parking ramp, 2 pumps and the brakes became rigid and I had to switch on the engine (I had my hands ready on the ignition).

You can try this with the car on the standstill also with and with the engine off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The check valve in the vacum booster ensures that you have 2-3 power assisted brakes even after the engine is shut off (it is designed this way), even after engine shut off you must be able able to apply brakes without any brake assist (brake pedal effort goes higher), if this is not happening either your check valve or the booster may be faulty.Spike
Old 18th March 2010, 13:41   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
went today and spent 4 hours at the sks garage. Got all 4 of the scorp brakes disassembled, thoroughly checked and cleaned using the rust off solvent and brake spray etc. Great job! Stood there throughout. LSPV also checked and found fine. Then checked the rear suspension bushes which were worn down so changed them too. Spent 1800. Also bought the 2 year extended warranty at 13grand. Scorp was pronounced tip top. Feels much better too!
Shankar,

I have never taken my 2005 Non CRDe Scorpio to any of the garages in Bangalore, Can you please tell me where is the sks garage located so that i can take it there and some inspection needs to be done on the vibrations and shuddering at certain RPM. I would appreciate If I can get a reference of some good technician.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:04   #1079
BHPian

MHawk break liner

Hi guys, I wanted to share this information for the benefit of all Scorpio owners, especially who owns the latest MHawk series.
I had noticed that my left real wheel was getting locked up during hard breaking(I’ve talked about this in different TBHP threads in the past) and have brought it to the notice of A.S.S during my first service. I was told that it has been fixed, but I noticed the problem the very next day. After trying couple of more unsuccessful attempts with A.S.S, escalated the complaint to M&M and my Scorp was taken back for a detailed testing. I got it back after 4 days, claiming that the problem has been fixed. When I did a test drive, it appeared that it has been fixed. Few days later, it re-appeared, by then I also noticed that the same wheel had a small puncture and was losing the pressure. Fixed the puncture and for few days the break worked fine. I started to notice the screech again, though it was minimal and only appeared occasionally.
It was by then the time for the second service (6 months, 10000 K/Ms, I’m still due on my Travelogues, sorry about that!). This time I mentioned to A.S.S that I want to get this problem fixed forever. To my surprise, the service adviser says that they have a circular from M&M, saying the break liners in new Scorps are faulty and they are in the process of replacing them. Though I was relieved a bit, I was upset that I was driving a massive 2 ton SUV since last 6 month, with a faulty break liner, and M&M never bothered to inform me at least!
The story continues- As usual, I got a call in the evening saying ‘all is well!’ I did a test drive again and there is was again screeeech! When I asked them what they did with my break liner, I was told that the circular was to chamfer the break liner surface and not actually replace it. However, the amount of chamfering they did wasn’t enough! They took the car back, removed the break liners and chamfered them again. I was in a state of shock , while all these happed and the whole thing was very unprofessional. The mechanics at the A.S.S were very helpful, though. They fitted everything back and now the wheel doesn’t lock and I confirmed the ABS is working by skidding in the smooth workshop floor. However, I now feel the breaking distance, even in regular breaking, has come down. Have to check in detail.

See the modified break liner below
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scrop_break.jpg  

Old 18th March 2010, 19:54   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Ok, then every single owner of the Scorpio should have this problem, right?

Well,

Nothing I can say to that. Only hoping that they can fix it.

Also calling out to all M&M R&D guys mentioned above. Can anyone help me take this up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks