Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:24   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear that everyone is safe, and a potential disaster was averted.

But how can ABS disable brakes on a car??

When your cousin hit the brakes, did the pedal stay hard or sink into the floor?
Old 3rd May 2010, 07:25   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
My second service was due and the closest A.S.S was ..
Does it really help employing Customer representative, flowers without professional skilled technicians and no quality?
I understand that Mahindra has done a lot of research in servicing procedures and simplified the standard operating procidures for the A.S.S to follow. Does it really get followed by A.S.S?
Who should be accountable for this entire misdemeanor?
@Real_man, I think you have found out the hard way (like how I did) that nearest is not always the best ! I have changed my ASC due to similar reasons cited by you. I guess Mahindra & Mahindra should carry out more frequent training, followed by surprise audits on each of their ASCs, if they are to provide good support to their products.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:09   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Scary incidence thankfully everyone is safe Is there any response of diagnosis from M&M or they are sitting silent ?

Why dont' you post this problem and it's diagnosis on Scorpio problems and solution thread itself so that a combined database is maintained..
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:36   #1204
Senior - BHPian

anshuman,

As far as my understanding goes, even if all the brakes actuation system fails, the brake pedal can be depressed by more force and the vehicle should stop. Also the hand brake should work independent of the ABS etc.

Glad that nothing happened to anybody and get your car fully checked and verified by the ASC.

Please keep M&M Regional Manager involved and get it escalated accordingly.

Mods, request you to move this to Mahindra Scorpio-Issues & Resolutions thread!
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:38   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Yes Suhas & Tanwar. That was a lucky escape! Cant imagine what would have happened if I were in higher speeds!
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:48   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK the was due to the ABS system, from what i have been told the brakes acted weirdly and the SUV lost the stopping power. There is minor damage to front bumper and grille.

Now with the ABS system disconnected the brakes are working fine, though we are not taking any chances and driving the Scorpio very cautiously now.
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:37   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
@Real_man, I think you have found out the hard way (like how I did) that nearest is not always the best ! I have changed my ASC due to similar reasons cited by you. I guess Mahindra & Mahindra should carry out more frequent training, followed by surprise audits on each of their ASCs, if they are to provide good support to their products.
Thanks mooza for the acknowledgement..

Can someone recommend me a reliable ASC in Mumbai?
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:52   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
How did you figure out that its only the left wheel locking up ? I experienced the same thing this morning. But it lasted only for the first 2 instances when I braked hard .Was driving out of my apartment parking to the main road.

About 3 weeks back I remember the wheels locking during a casual weekend drive. This again within 1km of driving and I tried to see if the Scorp' exhibited the same behavior again during hard braking. Albeit all thru the drive no problems what so ever.

This morning I drove like 24kms to office and no problems at all. The thing I have noticed during both these instances of wheel locking up is that it tends to happen only during the 1st few kms of running after the 1st start. All is well after that.

I will check this again tomorrow in the morning and if I see the problem then the weekend is gonna be well spent at M&M 's A S S.
Riju,

I have the same exact problem and it happens in the office parking in the cemented floor. I ignored it as a one off problem but now it happens almost daily, but once i am out of the parking onto the road the problem disappears. My first service is due this week and I am going to have the A.S.S check this.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:11   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

this is seriously bad news! glad that you and the vehicle are safe though.

normally one is supposed to fix the wheel nuts in an alternating manner when changing a tyre.
after the tyre is changed and the vehicle jacked down, one is supposed to tighten all the wheel nuts carefully before proceeding.

I think you may need to take it up with the Service guys. Also, do check the wheel nuts/ threads on the wheel bolt just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Guys,

Now this happened to me some days back!

I was on my regular drive to office and was doing my 70+ speeds when I heard a metal 'cluck' kind of noise. No adverse symptoms exhibited from the car, however I pulled the car over and realized that air was hissing out of a 2 match stick thick hole from the Rear left tyre. Called up the Scorpio helpline who attended promptly by sending the 'Hamesha' Scorpio within 20 min. The mechanic comes over replaces the by then flat tyre with the spare and tells me "all is well"!

I tip him and was on my way to office again. After driving for 5+km or so, I hear a sudden thud noise as if my Rear left tyre has become flat again and luckily was driving <40+kmph speeds(for some reason!). I slowly pulled the car over to the left of the road and get down to see what happened?
To my surprise, there is no alloy/tyre, the CAR is sitting on the brake DRUM!! I look around and let the pictures talk the remaining.

The tyre is sitting pretty away from the car by a good distance. My car must have been on the drum for a good 20 metres at least!!

I call up the DGM-Service and appraise him of the situation who dispatches his "Hamesa" Scorpio with a team of three "qualified" personnel with new wheel nuts and two cold water bottles!
I decided to call it a day and head home when I was advised by the DGM-Service that they need to re-check the brake drum, transmission axle, stud bolts etc and was required to get my car to ASC. I oblige, thanking my stars that I was alive and my car did not have any damage.

My car was thoroughly checked and cleared 'Road worthy'. I declared the "Hamesha Scorpio" guy(who first attended to my cars flat tyre) "NOT WORTHY" for the Free wheelieee which happened to me as I saw it in only movies till then!!

Lesson learnt:: check for the full tightening of wheel nuts when a flat tyre smiles at you on your OWN!!
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:44   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shanker,

The stud bolts on the rear left wheel have been replaced with new ones and so are the wheel nuts. Glad to be here
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:14   #1211
BHPian

planning any legal action against mahindra?
this kind of quality check is rubbish.
it's only a matter of chance that the speed was not high.
thank god
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:31   #1212
BHPian

anshuman,

i owned a scorpio from late 2004 until late last year. Funnily enough the brakes on that failed many times, once when i was a marshall on the Raid de Himalaya. Can you imagine driving 10 days not knowing when the brakes would fail in the Raid They did, about 3 times, every time when i was slow, so i never crashed. Pumping the brakes would not help at these time. On my return to Delhi the dealer changed the brake booster after which it was ok. I did write an official letter to Mahindra, but nothing much came of it, except they didn't charge me for the labour!
My Scorpio didn't have ABS, but there is obviously something fundamentally wrong with their brakes. Unfortunately since here is not much of a choice for a 4X4 at that price, looks like i will be going for another Scorpio later this year (VLX Automatic 4x4), unless the Thar is launched
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:19   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
"Complete" failure on a dual circuit "failsafe" system? I think we are missing something here. The only thing common to both circuits, other than the mechanical things like pedal and pushrod, I think is the booster.

Multichannel system. Sensor and actuator per channel. And I'm sure the controllers are designed to fail in "safe mode". If not, it is extremely poor design, and would lead to huge product liability costs.

Since A.S.S. could not locate fault, am sure it is not something as simple as alternator drive belt/ Vac pump failure.
I agree.

The electronics governing the ABS would also be common. If the booster was the culprit, disconnecting the ABS system would not have got the brakes working normally again - which it now does.

Rat damage to ABS-related wiring?

Old 3rd May 2010, 21:59   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Check the brake cables (tubes carrying the brake fluid from the master cylinder to the tyres) for rat bites.
Rats dont eat steel, do they?

More to do with the brake actuation and ABS.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:43   #1215
Senior - BHPian

this is ridiculous & not expected from a company like mahindra. what assurance will it give to current scorpio owners like us?

i think you should raise this matter to a high level. also, i feel you have received a lemon as you are facing quite a lot of issues in your car which is not the norm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks