Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 20:17   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Can any of the mhawk 4wd owners confirm that engaging 4wd low causes display indicator lamp to blink for 6 seconds. Mine doesn't - it shifts from 4h to 4l without any blinking. Cheers
When shifting from 4H to 4L, the 4H indicator blinks for a while and then switches over to the 4L lamp. When switching from 2H to 4L directly without letting the 4H light come on, there is no blinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
...left real wheel was getting locked up during hard breaking...

...chamfer the break liner surface and not actually replace it.
This sounds a little UNREAL . But no, I haven't had any issues with rear wheel lock-up on my 5-month 10,000-km VLX 4WD. Would be going to the service centre (Koncept) for 2nd service in the first week of April (I'm travelling in the meanwhile). Hope to find out more about it then. But if as you say
Quote:
the break liners in new Scorps are faulty
then they had better replace the liners, not scrape away at them like your pic shows.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th March 2010 at 20:19.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:20   #1082
Senior - BHPian

even i have had no issues of brake locking up in my mhawk.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:19   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This sounds a little UNREAL . But no, I haven't had any issues with rear wheel lock-up on my 5-month 10,000-km VLX 4WD. Would be going to the service centre (Koncept) for 2nd service in the first week of April (I'm travelling in the meanwhile). Hope to find out more about it then. But if as you say

then they had better replace the liners, not scrape away at them like your pic shows.
Well, what A.S.S says is that the problem is common in both the new Scops and Xylos and they have a new break liner for replacement in Xylo, where as in Scorps the new one isnt available yet. Even if they would replace now, they still have to chamfer them in the way shown in the pic. I'm yet to write(yell!) at M&M to know the real story.

@Raj, I was told this is happening on recent batches(last 6 months or so) because of a faulty break liner part.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:34   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Leaf spring & washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I don't know whether you are removing washers only around the additional spring, but my experience has been that when my ASC carelessly forgot to put the washers, I had a record 5 leaves break almost simultaneously probably because of the extra pressure and that the metal and metal grated against each other.
Those washers placed between leaf springs are called as "Antifriction Pads", even the leaf springs are applied graphite paint to enable lubrication between leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The washers should not be removed. They act as levers, thus taking the load and the jump.
Which washers act as levers? I think you are talking about the levers where the leaf springs are pivoted, isn't it?

Spike
Old 19th March 2010, 11:53   #1085
Senior - BHPian

True for all Mahindra A. S. S., you get the vehicle with "all is well" certificate only to find that it is status quo.

My scorpio has been at the workshop for over 20 days in the last 2 months (2 different A. S. S., ) still the issues remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
After trying couple of more unsuccessful attempts with A.S.S, escalated the complaint to M&M and my Scorp was taken back for a detailed testing. I got it back after 4 days, claiming that the problem has been fixed. When I did a test drive, it appeared that it has been fixed. Few days later, it re-appeared, by then I also noticed that the same wheel had a small puncture and was losing the pressure. Fixed the puncture and for few days the break worked fine. I started to notice the screech again, though it was minimal and only appeared occasionally.
It was by then the time for the second service (6 months, 10000 K/Ms, I’m still due on my Travelogues, sorry about that!). This time I mentioned to A.S.S that I want to get this problem fixed forever. To my surprise, the service adviser says that they have a circular from M&M, saying the break liners in new Scorps are faulty and they are in the process of replacing them. Though I was relieved a bit, I was upset that I was driving a massive 2 ton SUV since last 6 month, with a faulty break liner, and M&M never bothered to inform me at least!
The story continues- As usual, I got a call in the evening saying ‘all is well!’ I did a test drive again and there is was again screeeech! When I asked them what they did with my break liner, I was told that the circular was to chamfer the break liner surface and not actually replace it. However, the amount of chamfering they did wasn’t enough! They took the car back, removed the break liners and chamfered them again. I was in a state of shock , while all these happed and the whole thing was very unprofessional. The mechanics at the A.S.S were very helpful, though. They fitted everything back and now the wheel doesn’t lock and I confirmed the ABS is working by skidding in the smooth workshop floor. However, I now feel the breaking distance, even in regular breaking, has come down. Have to check in detail.

See the modified break liner below
Old 19th March 2010, 19:59   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

The news about faulty brake liners in Scorpios is something surprising. But M&M have not received any adverse press publicity about this problem. In fact there I am yet to read about it in the media.If its about wear and tear of the brake liner maybe my 11 month old Scorpio is also a victim. But the brakes do not lock in my SUV, that is from among the first batches of the Refreshed version.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:33   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

It may have to do with a particular batch of pads that were supplied by the vendor. Mine is a Jan 2010 manufactured Scorpio and I have not had this issue yet. In fact, I tested the brakes a few times on the highway, thanks to some truck drivers who did some last minute lane changes in front of me when I was doing about 120 kmph.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:51   #1088
BHPian

Mine is a Jan 2010 manufactured scorpio too and i have not had this issue yet.
Old 20th March 2010, 09:25   #1089
Senior - BHPian

In my 2004 Scorp (92k on the odo), I feel the engine vibration at 1500 rpm has increased (even with the vehicle at standstill). I had replaced the engine mounts a couple of months ago.

The engine vibrations are very less at other rpms. They are almost non existent at the 2 sweet spots of 1200 rpm and 1900 rpm (which I maintain a lot, considering the petrol engine like comfort I get at these rpms !)

Can others please share their sweet (and rough) spots of their rpm meters ? Thanks & cheers
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:33   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajat13777 - I will PM you my recommendations by today evening.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:06   #1091
Senior - BHPian

@rajat and GD I am not scorpio owner but the protrusion mentioned in post below looks like a guard provided on the inner wall of wheel well it is present in other SUVs as well.

The main question is why the tyre should foul with this protruded guard.
Following things come to my mind.

1. RIM offset is not correct but as you have OEM RIM this can be ruled out.
2. Over-sized tyre ,but as you have stock bridgestone this is also ruled out.

3. Turning radius set less then the minimum turning radius on Scorpio.
Usually turning radius is adjusted using steering idler nuts and it is possible that the setting is not correct.

4. problem with suspension setup which allows more atriculation then normal so the tyre fouls when you are taking turn and suspension is activated.

How are your tyres do you see any abnormal wear or marks on them ?

About brakes and other problem lets hope the M&M do their best in plant and provide you a problem free vehicle.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:53   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The news about faulty brake liners in Scorpios is something surprising. But M&M have not received any adverse press publicity about this problem. In fact there I am yet to read about it in the media.If its about wear and tear of the brake liner maybe my 11 month old Scorpio is also a victim. But the brakes do not lock in my SUV, that is from among the first batches of the Refreshed version.
I haven’t seen any press news about his, yet and it looks like it is in the early stages of detection. I was also told that the problem reported so far is occasional, but the fact that they have a circular, means there were other complaints as well. I'm yet to write a formal complaint to M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It may have to do with a particular batch of pads that were supplied by the vendor. Mine is a Jan 2010 manufactured Scorpio and I have not had this issue yet. In fact, I tested the brakes a few times on the highway, thanks to some truck drivers who did some last minute lane changes in front of me when I was doing about 120 kmph.
The problem is less noticeable on dry tarmac and more on loose gravel. Again, the issue wasn’t consistent, either. I would say, 2 out of 5 cases
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:56   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

sure:

It is on Bannerghatta Road, diagonally opposite IIM Bangalore.

One has to take an U turn there and turn left into SKS Auto.
Cant miss it.

You can contact Amit their Regional Manager and tell him I ve recommended you see him. Or you can meet Mr Venkatesh who is another Senior Gentleman - Works Head.

Both of them will certainly look after your vehicle properly.

i ve always got good service from SKS Auto (it used to be the old Vijai Auto till it got bought over, lock stock and barrel)

All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Shankar,

I have never taken my 2005 Non CRDe Scorpio to any of the garages in Bangalore, Can you please tell me where is the sks garage located so that i can take it there and some inspection needs to be done on the vibrations and shuddering at certain RPM. I would appreciate If I can get a reference of some good technician.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:29   #1094
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajat13777 - I will PM you my recommendations by today evening.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behram, please share the recommendations here itself (instead of PM). That way, the information will stay archived and help several members & guests alike.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:48   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajat13777 View Post
Also calling out to all M&M R&D guys mentioned above. Can anyone help me take this up.
Can you please mention whom did you contact? What is the status now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
even i have had no issues of brake locking up in my mhawk.
If your scorpio comes with LSPV (Non ABS) then wheel locking may be due to improper LSPV setting.

Spike

P.S.- Rear brake lining usable thickness is 3.5-4.3 mm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks