Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 10:07   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Thanks a lot. Oil filter was changed as they did first serivce too when they kept the vehicle for repair. I'm planning to be there in the workshop tomorrow when they take my vehicle tomorrow.
Hi BMW-X5,
It is possible that the rubber seal of the oil filter could have been shot up or as HVK mention the threading is gone awry.
The rubber seal can go bad if the oil filter cannister is over torqued.
The other reason one can suspect for the oil leakage is if your oil separator has gone bad or choked. Have that checked up if the oil filter if found OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
when i switch to 4wd High - the display starts showing 4WD Low. When the display is showing 4WD Low (and dial set at 4wd high), I can also feel that it is in Low range.

Any ideas from Gurus on what I should be telling the Service center guys to look at as I am sure when it goes to SC,it will play pranks and not replicate this problem.

Has happened 3-4 times in last one week but not consistently.

Cheers
Hi adzegeek,
Appears your Transfer Case sensor is shot up. May not be a goner - you could have it removed, air cleaned and fixed back and see if it is OK. I think that should do the trick...
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 14:26   #3197
BHPian

Apart form the infamous lug nut episode the Scorpio is riding well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3019407

However the biggest niggle I have had to live with is rattles,..in a brand new car.
rattles eminate from the dash, the head rest , seats everywhere....
Old 20th January 2013, 17:54   #3198
BHPian

My mHawk has shown few rust spots at doors near handles and at the driver side door bottom. Planning to get it cleaned soon. What procedure do they follow? Only to clean and repaint the spot or entire door? Is it covered under extended warranty?

Also, I am getting hissing sound in AC for the third time in 3 years. Last two times it was evident that cooling has been reduced and expansion valve was replaced. Now third time it occured immediately within 2 weeks after valve replace but cooling is good. This is in addition to whistling noise which runs high and low as per engine RPM and stops with AC switch off. I had reported this to Ambition, Bhandup and Mahindra Co-Tech working there inspected it and declared that this sound is standard in Scorpio. I have reported this to the Customer Care and waiting to talk to them to get it resolved. Is there any permenant solution to this problem? I am sure next time it will re-occur, I will be probably out of extended warranty.

By the way last time I reported this issue, initially I was told by Ambition staff that this sound doesnt exist and I can hear it because I am too used to my vehicle. They tried and cant hear it so that was the proof for this theory.

Last edited by amk_2009 : 20th January 2013 at 18:00.
Old 21st January 2013, 15:21   #3199

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I presume you mean a leakage of engine oil from the Oil Filter (and not Fuel Filter, as you have mentioned?).

Leakage can happen with improper fitment of the OIl Filter - can be solved by retightening ir or changing it. But looking at the delay at the ASC end, maybe the threading is defective or damaged resulting in oil filter getting fitted properly.
There could be improper fitment of the Oil Filter or a defective thread.
However, it would be better that you take this up with M&M directly. They are far better in terms of response that the ASC. And Kochi TVS is pathetic in service and response.

I have had problems with Clutch and my vehicle had done only 1200 kms. despite fixing the problem many times (Yes 6 times they fixed) by the ASC, they failed. Finally the vehicle was pronounced not road worthy by the M&M engineers and i got a new replacement - VLX model.
Old 21st January 2013, 17:26   #3200
BHPian

I have got the vehicle back, so far no leaks. As per the SA they have replaced the filter body (I'm not sure what it is). But still I get the low oil pressure warining at times (once after i got my vehicle back). They claim that alternator was replaced under warranty because of the low oil pressure warning. I observed a strange thing, this message comes when I park the vehicle out side (hot sun) for a few hours and it goes off after some time or if I restart the car. If this not a serious issues, I'm ok to live with it. I appreciate Mahindra for the kind of support they provide, but the *** lacks competenct mechanics. This time time TVS took good care of the vehicle may because the higher up officials from Mahindra was tracking the same.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:03   #3201
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need advice on Scorpio mileage.

Mine is a new Lx 4wd bought in Oct 2012. Till now it has run 8k KMS. First service was done at 6K KMs.
I am getting a mileage between 10.14 to 11.94 (both city and highway).
First of all is this mileage normal for Lx 4WD ..?
I have noticed the idling speed is set to 1000 RPM and also noticed that the vehicle has enough power to crawl any considerable incline in 5th gear without throttle. It does a constant 40KMPH. There is some kind of intelligence built in which automatically maintains 1000 RPM and 40KMPH on any surface in 5th gear.
My question is can this idling speed be reduced to gain an increase in mileage.
Any other thoughts...

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 21st January 2013 at 20:05. Reason: typo
Old 21st January 2013, 20:38   #3202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I am getting a mileage between 10.14 to 11.94 (both city and highway).
First of all is this mileage normal for Lx 4WD ..?
Yes, pretty normal though your highway FE should go up by a km or more if you restrict your speeds to 100kmph and post 10k kms.
Quote:
There is some kind of intelligence built in which automatically maintains 1000 RPM and 40KMPH on any surface in 5th gear.
My question is can this idling speed be reduced to gain an increase in mileage.
Any other thoughts...
It is not about maintaining 40kmph but the ECU understands that there is no manual throttle input and accordingly tries to prevent the engine from stalling, on all gears.

However, 40kmph sounds a bit high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Happy Bull, Happy Owner.
Panditij, your inputs please.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:09   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question is can this idling speed be reduced to gain an increase in mileage. Any other thoughts...
Not sure if it has anything to do with your vehicle being a 4x4, but 1000 rpm at idle seems a bit high. In my SLE, it hovers between 850 - 900 approx. I think the technicians at the ASC should be able to tweak it to a lower value with the software which is used to detect error codes etc.

Maybe SS-Traveller and gd1418 can throw more light on this, both of them being Scorpio 4x4 owners.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd January 2013 at 10:10.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:03   #3204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
...SS-Traveller...
Quote:
...new Lx 4wd...
...idling speed is set to 1000 RPM and also noticed that the vehicle has enough power to crawl any considerable incline in 5th gear without throttle.
...automatically maintains 1000 RPM and 40KMPH
Idling rpm on neutral is (IIRC) 850 rpm when at running temperature without AC load.
Almost all ECMs in cars have an anti-stall function that prevents rpm from falling below a certain threshold - in the mHawk engine it is 1000rpm - in any gear when no throttle input is given and clutch is fully engaged. Hence you notice the particular behaviour of 1000rpm & 40 km/h in 5th gear. In any other gear too, the speed will be different but the rpm will remain at 1000rpm.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:28   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...However, 40kmph sounds a bit high.

Panditij, your inputs please.
That's what i also thought 40 kmph is high. Also i remember reading somewhere in the user manual about some kind of limp mode, wherein if the vehicle is broken down, then it can be put into limp mode which is constant 40 KMPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Not sure if it has anything to do with your vehicle being a 4x4, but 1000 rpm at idle seems a bit high. In my SLE, it hovers between 850 - 900 approx. I think the technicians at the ASC should be able to tweak it to a lower value with the software which is used to detect error codes etc.
Actually, i rechecked today the idle RPM is 1100.
Can this be quickly corrected in any ASC. My next service is due after another 2k KMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Idling rpm on neutral is (IIRC) 850 rpm when at running temperature without AC load.
Almost all ECMs in cars have an anti-stall function that prevents rpm from falling below a certain threshold - in the mHawk engine it is 1000rpm - in any gear when no throttle input is given and clutch is fully engaged. Hence you notice the particular behaviour of 1000rpm & 40 km/h in 5th gear. In any other gear too, the speed will be different but the rpm will remain at 1000rpm.
You are right, it is RPM that is constant. Speed basically gradually increases with the gear and tops out at 40 KMPH in fifth.
The idling RPM is actually 1100 and it stays there even with clutch fully engaged or fully disengaged. During gear shifts also the RPM does not go below 1000 RPM.

My question here is that has M&M deiberately set the idling RPM to 1000 for the initial run-in so as to give comfort zone for the mhawk to operate.
The initial run-in as mentioned in the manual is 3k KMS which is complete. Now at 8k KMs i am expecting a better mileage especially in highways.

Based on all your inputs i will visit the ASC and ask to reduce the idling RPM.

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 22nd January 2013 at 11:29. Reason: typo
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:00   #3206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...i rechecked today the idle RPM is 1100.
Need a scan to determine if rpm is high because of some other reason, or just because of ECM setting. ASC visit and a request to check are absolutely necessary. You haven't seen any intermittent glowing of check-engine-light, I presume.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:02   #3207
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, i rechecked today the idle RPM is 1100.
Can this be quickly corrected in any ASC.
Yes, it is a 5 minute job with the diagnostic laptop.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:20   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Need a scan to determine if rpm is high because of some other reason, or just because of ECM setting. ASC visit and a request to check are absolutely necessary. You haven't seen any intermittent glowing of check-engine-light, I presume.
There is no glowing of any engine warning light. Will visit the ASC tomorrow.
BTW, i live in Marathalli area, how is the Sireesh Service Center in Marthalli.
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:26   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Hi my OEM (Nippon) music system seems to have finally died, though I can see the faint display and even sound of the disc moving and details showing (in almost black) in the display there is no sound.

The Nioopn engineer wants 500 Rs. as visit charges to check it out, any inputs please
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:11   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi my OEM (Nippon) music system seems to have finally died, though I can see the faint display and even sound of the disc moving and details showing (in almost black) in the display there is no sound.

The Nippon engineer wants 500 Rs. as visit charges to check it out, any inputs please
The self healing has started ,& the display is back, however while the radio & cd seem to be working there is no sound, checked the connections but no clue, will wait for another couple of days for the self healing to be completed .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks