Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 13:38   #4516

Re: Loving & Caring for your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If you want your car to be reliable, get it serviced at regular intervals at a reputed service centre and follow the guidelines mentioned in the user manual.

Change engine oil (and other fluids) at regular intervals as recommended by the manufacturer.

Just washing and cleaning does not amount to pampering of car. These things are purely superficial. Things that really matter to the mechanical health of the car are located under the hood, where most people would never bother looking.

There is no point in obsessing over physical appearances if the internal health is ignored. This reminds me of the Castrol advertisement starring Sachin Tendulkar. In this advertisement, a person is shown obsessing about the outer appearance of his car (I love my car) even when the engine is full of sludge. I know many such people.

Talkin to your car an patting it are your personal preferences, I wouldn't comment on this. But talking and patting alone is not sufficient, keeping the car mechanically (and electrically) sound is the key to reliable performance.

Rohan
Thanks,
Rohan I get your point.
What you say is 100 % right Yet, I can only say - "some people live by the heart and some by head'. I belong to the first..
Any way, Thanks agaiin for the great advice.
Aashish.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:58   #4517
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Plastic razor blade is quite safer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Is there any way to remove scratches from the Tail Lights of a car ? Any solution available ?
The approach to scratch removal on head and tail lights is the same as on paint.(if they're plastic)

If the scratch catches your fingernail, its probably too deep to remove.

Otherwise use the compound and polishes that you have on it.

Sometimes some relatively deeper scratches need to be wetsanded and then compounded!
Old 30th May 2011, 14:51   #4518
BHPian

Re: Loving & Caring for your vehicle.

They say cat has nine lives, and i too am superstitious when the cat crosses from left to right, i feel it is safe to driving in a relaxed manner. But when the cat crosses from right to left, i proceed cautiously. It maybe sounding queer, but i found it to be an ESP, many a times helped to avoid accidents. I believe if one's mind is clear than one gets warned well in advance regarding the lurking danger. Talking to Car i have tried though, maybe in a cybotic world it may become a reality like talking cellphone alerts. But these are no substitutes for maintainence tips.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:54   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Plastic razor blade is quite safer!

The approach to scratch removal on head and tail lights is the same as on paint.(if they're plastic)

If the scratch catches your fingernail, its probably too deep to remove.

Otherwise use the compound and polishes that you have on it.

Sometimes some relatively deeper scratches need to be wetsanded and then compounded!
Thanks for the response Sohail. To let you know, the scratches are just hairline, not deep. Can i use Formula rubbing compound that comes in the Yellow bottle, white liquid ?

Where are these plastic razor blades available, how to identify them. May sound funny, but i dont know..!!
Old 30th May 2011, 15:01   #4520
Senior - BHPian

For fine scratches, a polish will do! Are you talking about 'scratch out'?

You can try that. Be sure to work the area till the polish dries up.

I had seen few plastic razor blades at a bodyshop supply store. Quite great in case you're working to remove loads of tar and paint spots without irreversibly damaging the underlying clearcoat paint (Clearcoat will be marred but that marring will polish out!)
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 15:21   #4521
BHPian

@Sohail, yes i am talking about the Scratch Out.

Point taken, i will work the area till the polish dries out. Thanks for the suggestion buddy..!!
Old 1st June 2011, 11:30   #4522
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Sohail, yes i am talking about the Scratch Out.

Point taken, i will work the area till the polish dries out. Thanks for the suggestion buddy..!!
Meguiars M105 or UC with a DA works like a charm on tail lights. They come out like really new. Even by hand it should work decently well. Only issue- these compounds are not sold in India through regular channels
Old 1st June 2011, 11:51   #4523
BHPian

Hi,

I have been following this thread silently for the past few months and I must say that I have learned a lot from it regarding detailing. I have been using locally available products from Waxpol, Amway, Formula1, 3M etc. for the last 9 to 10 years on my personal bikes and now a car. Though earlier only 1 coat of polish (or 1 pass) was all that i did to feel that I had polished my bike, I got to know here (and related forums on detailing mentioned in this thread) the various correct methods of detailing. This is the place which opened an all new window for me to pursue my old hobby of "Polishing". The knowledge about the various products that can be used to clean, polish and protect the paint finish that i got here will be very helpful to me in taking my hobby more seriously and with a good reference point.

I just received my order from Auto Mall containing ONR, Collinite 845, Various size Microfibres. Will put it to good use.

I thank all the members who have contributed to this thread and helped people like me understand in detail the process of detailing.

Hope to learn and apply the knowledge in enjoying my hobby.

Cheers
Turboholic
Old 1st June 2011, 13:27   #4524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Meguiars M105 or UC with a DA works like a charm on tail lights. They come out like really new. Even by hand it should work decently well. Only issue- these compounds are not sold in India through regular channels
Buddy thanks for the input. Can you guide us, where can we get these products in India / Mumbai if they are not available through regular channels.

I am new to these terms, can you elaborate on the UC with a DA ?
Old 1st June 2011, 14:28   #4525
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy thanks for the input. Can you guide us, where can we get these products in India / Mumbai if they are not available through regular channels.

I am new to these terms, can you elaborate on the UC with a DA ?
Your best bet is to try with folks who source them from US for self use and can spare, no chance to get them in India. As for UC- stands for Ultimate Compound and DA- Dual Action Polisher. Its not worth though buying all this just to restore the lights, costs a lot. Smaller machines aimed at this job are lower priced, again i don't know of options here, i got mine from US.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 14:33   #4526
Senior - BHPian

For lights one can get a mothers power ball and use it with a cordless drill.

Great for wheel polishing too!
Old 1st June 2011, 19:43   #4527
Senior - BHPian

Just a little update guys. I had a can of WD 40 in the car as it is so I tried that first. Sprayed on all the dots, left to soak for a min and then scratched it with my fingernail wrapped in a piece of cloth. Came out easily without any damage at all. Thanks a lot !
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:50   #4528
BANNED

Guys, Mothers clay bar ( paint protection system ) is now available at auto-mall.( FYI no commercial Interest )
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:03   #4529
Senior - BHPian

Weird but true, I have got chewing gum stuck on one of my rear doors. Initially it appeared as if my paint had come out - I could see thin off-white strands of thread from a distance. On closer look, it looked like a cob-web.

Then I tried to rub it off with a damp cloth, and the white threads started turning black and made matters worse.

I tried scraping it off with my nails, but it took a long time to get rid off some of it.

Now, the chewing gum threads remains scattered. Is there an easy way to get rid of this?

Also, please let me know how do I clean chrome (e.g. logos which are in chrome)?

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd June 2011 at 10:04.
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:04   #4530
BHPian

^^ try WD-40 for the chewing gum - it's a wonderful solvent!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks