Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 17:47   #7381
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Appreciate the prompt & logical reply mate.

First of all, I am unable to find UPGP on any of the UK based websites for car care products. Could you point me to some website since I may have missed it?

Secondly, I would like to share some details about the car in question, the colour as well as the maintenance routine that's usually followed. So, here it goes, point by point:

1. The car is a Ford Figo; Black in colour & is a little over 1 year old.
2. For washing the car, the products currently used are a car shampoo (from Eagle One) & a waterless wash from Duragloss (if not too dirty). The car's washed using a wash mitt.
3. Washing is usually followed by a wipe-down with a product called "Wax as your dry" from Eagle One since I felt that it had mild cleaners & that could help in prepping the surface.
4. Finally, I top it up with a product called "DG111" from Duragloss......I believe its a sealant, but do correct me if otherwise.
5. The maintenance routine is either dry dusting with a Jopasu or a waterless wash if the dirt's too much

NOTE: Thorough detailing (washing + polishing + sealant) doesn't happen more than once in 3-4 months. Also, I am usually unable to do a second coat of wax or sealant since the car's parked in an open ground & I would need to wash it all over again to be able to apply another coat. That's why I need something with the minimal curing time & a relatively better durability.

I haven't clayed the car till now, though recent washes have left me wanting to do that since the surface actually has started feeling a bit rough to touch.

Hope the information above can help you in providing some more valuable & focused suggestions.
As your car is parked outside claying is of utmost importance now.
If the surface is prepared with that, any additional efforts will have more value to you.
I feel that eagle one product is acting as a drying aid to help you prevent water spots and is short term value( only gloss enhancing). There is no harm in continuing with that, but it does not do what you say( clean) and low value.

The DG111 is a paint polish, it mentions that it protects as well but more of a polish i feel( have not used it though)

If you want to use something with more value than DG 111 and gives great results get Autofinesse Triple AIO
Post that you can put the following sealants
  • UPGP( low curing time)
  • Auto Finesse Tough Coat
  • Poor boys EXP

Some of the points above are more out of my discussions with other experts, some of my own experience
Old 15th May 2013, 23:08   #7382
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again mate! Forgot to add one thing......I also use Collinite above the DG111 for long term protection..

Do any of the sealants available or suggested by you, have a chance at better durability than Collinite?

Lastly, I have been seeing a lot of products like CarPro Quartz or Gtechniquez Ceramic Shield etc, what are these? Are they any different to regular synthetic sealants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
As your car is parked outside claying is of utmost importance now.
If the surface is prepared with that, any additional efforts will have more value to you.
I feel that eagle one product is acting as a drying aid to help you prevent water spots and is short term value( only gloss enhancing). There is no harm in continuing with that, but it does not do what you say( clean) and low value.

The DG111 is a paint polish, it mentions that it protects as well but more of a polish i feel( have not used it though)

If you want to use something with more value than DG 111 and gives great results get Autofinesse Triple AIO
Post that you can put the following sealants
  • UPGP( low curing time)
  • Auto Finesse Tough Coat
  • Poor boys EXP
Some of the points above are more out of my discussions with other experts, some of my own experience
Old 16th May 2013, 00:53   #7383
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again mate! Forgot to add one thing......I also use Collinite above the DG111 for long term protection..

Do any of the sealants available or suggested by you, have a chance at better durability than Collinite?

Lastly, I have been seeing a lot of products like CarPro Quartz or Gtechniquez Ceramic Shield etc, what are these? Are they any different to regular synthetic sealants?
As mentioned, all good sealants have comparable durability and anyone claiming so and so sealant is more durable needs to be checked if they have done a like to like comparison which is tough. Collinite is a good bet too, no doubt but then a 2 layer of X good one will probably last longer than one layer of collinite and vice versa. You wanted a low curing time, which collinite does not have. Collinite is solvent heavy btw so needs to sit below anything else applied on top ideally. Collinite is quite durable too and gives a good finish.
Cquartz and similar stuff ( like Max Protect UNC V1 and V2 or Gtechniqs C1 are nano/glass coatings, which are far more durable than sealants. These are chemical resistant, scratch resistant coatings that CANNOT be removed by chemical wash or light polish.
These need professional application most of the time but like Max Protect- there is a DIY type too( UNC V1)
You may want to look at this though- http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...iquid-crystal/
Looks wise i have heard polymer sealants are still better and also the fact that they can be layered. Coatings like the c2v3 cannot be. I still have to try these out btw so dont mind getting one

Last edited by mkh : 16th May 2013 at 01:06.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 09:40   #7384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju

Try getting Megs or something else, Mothers Clay is not that good. I have used it personally and found them to be very mild to my liking.
MKH here is the authorized is the authorized distributor for Sonus, Ultima and Four Star Products. He should have some Sonus clay which is very good quality.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 13:09   #7385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
MKH here is the authorized is the authorized distributor for Sonus, Ultima and Four Star Products. He should have some Sonus clay which is very good quality.
Hi,

Can you kindly share the link of Sonus clay's authorized distributor?

Thanks.
Old 16th May 2013, 14:22   #7386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Hi,

Can you kindly share the link of Sonus clay's authorized distributor?

Thanks.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ultim...72366162795940
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 14:28   #7387
Team-BHP Support

How is the brand Wurth for Car Care products?
Old 16th May 2013, 14:38   #7388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How is the brand Wurth for Car Care products?
It is a german brand and I had used a couple of their products like Interior Cleaner, Vinyl Polish, New Paint Polish, Wool Rubbing Pad, Foam Polishing Pad, etc. The products are good but the durability is not that good. Though the Pads are of very good quality and long lasting.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:07   #7389
Senior - BHPian

Hey, thanks for your reply mate & my apologies for not responding earlier.

I get your point & I think I will give some good sealant a try. Could you guide me to where I can find Ultima & Klasse products in India? I might be wrong but you do carry Ultima with you, right? In Klasse, I have shortlisted Klasse AIO & Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze.....would like to consider similar products from Ultima (like the UPGP + Ultima Paint Prep you suggested).....my first preference is durability & long-lasting protection.....which one according to you is a better bet?

Maybe you could PM the details (like volume, price etc) for these brands, if you happen to be the distributor for them....awaiting your prompt response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
As mentioned, all good sealants have comparable durability and anyone claiming so and so sealant is more durable needs to be checked if they have done a like to like comparison which is tough. Collinite is a good bet too, no doubt but then a 2 layer of X good one will probably last longer than one layer of collinite and vice versa. You wanted a low curing time, which collinite does not have. Collinite is solvent heavy btw so needs to sit below anything else applied on top ideally. Collinite is quite durable too and gives a good finish.
Cquartz and similar stuff ( like Max Protect UNC V1 and V2 or Gtechniqs C1 are nano/glass coatings, which are far more durable than sealants. These are chemical resistant, scratch resistant coatings that CANNOT be removed by chemical wash or light polish.
These need professional application most of the time but like Max Protect- there is a DIY type too( UNC V1)
You may want to look at this though- http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...iquid-crystal/
Looks wise i have heard polymer sealants are still better and also the fact that they can be layered. Coatings like the c2v3 cannot be. I still have to try these out btw so dont mind getting one

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 17th May 2013 at 13:23.
Old 17th May 2013, 17:13   #7390
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your reply mate & my apologies for not responding earlier.

I get your point & I think I will give some good sealant a try. Could you guide me to where I can find Ultima & Klasse products in India? I might be wrong but you do carry Ultima with you, right? In Klasse, I have shortlisted Klasse AIO & Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze.....would like to consider similar products from Ultima (like the UPGP + Ultima Paint Prep you suggested).....my first preference is durability & long-lasting protection.....which one according to you is a better bet?

Maybe you could PM the details (like volume, price etc) for these brands, if you happen to be the distributor for them....awaiting your prompt response.
Klasse twins have been around for years and very respected. The combination works excellent but there is some difference between acrylic and synthetic sealants.
Without going into the chemistry and me too is not that much an expert, acrylic sealants work great on light color cars and bring out the color better some experiences say. Klasse is an acrylic sealant while UPGP is a synthetic. Both can be layered and do not clean off the layer put below

Again for longer lasting and durability its a matter of preparation and maintenance and none can categorically say that so and so is better than the other. A few tests here and there have been done to show which lasts more but overall there will be not that much of a huge difference. Its all about ease of use, availability and what suits personally.( everything is selling -right?)
I can guide you on what to do to ensure you get best on whatever you buy so that you get max durability.
One of them is to use a ph neutral shampoo( which i recall you do) that will not take off the LSP or hinder with it, wasting your hard work
Another is to keep boosting the last layer with a top up to get the max durability. Here its important to choose something that does not have cleaners which reduces the effect of the previous layer

The only minor drawback with klasse SG - its a tough sealant to apply and wipe off and needs learning around that. Also ideally klasse SG should be topped up to get more life out with a compatible spray sealant like the Sonus Acrylic Glanz, once in a while. Please check the product i referred to, and you will know why. http://premiumfinishcare.com/car-car...-acrylic-glanz

I will suggest get small quantities of what you finalize and try out, then settle for what you like best and don't go for larger packs yet.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:13   #7391
BHPian

I am planning a wash/clean session today. Things I have, Jopasu Duster. Formula 1 Carnauba Wash and Wax liquid/shampoo and Collinite 845, some jopasu microfiber cloths.

Any suggestions how and where to start ?
Old 18th May 2013, 11:25   #7392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am planning a wash/clean session today. Things I have, Jopasu Duster. Formula 1 Carnauba Wash and Wax liquid/shampoo and Collinite 845, some jopasu microfiber cloths.

Any suggestions how and where to start ?
1. Use jopasu duster to remove dust . If car is covered in muck dont use the duster
2. Hose down the car with high pressure water jet
3. Wash the car with car shampoo using two bucket method
4. Rinse and wipe dry
5. Apply Collinite 845 and allow to dry for 15 mins
6. Buff with the microfiber

For longer durability, apply a second coat of collinite after 12 hours. Make sure that you wipe each panel with a damp microfiber to remove settled dust before applying collinite on that panel
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:35   #7393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

1. Use jopasu duster to remove dust . If car is covered in muck dont use the duster
2. Hose down the car with high pressure water jet
3. Wash the car with car shampoo using two bucket method
4. Rinse and wipe dry
5. Apply Collinite 845 and allow to dry for 15 mins
6. Buff with the microfiber

For longer durability, apply a second coat of collinite after 12 hours. Make sure that you wipe each panel with a damp microfiber to remove settled dust before applying collinite on that panel
1. Car is under the shade and mostly covered. So just the dust, will wipe with duster.
2. Do not have one
3. Will wash using car and wax shampoo by 2 bucket method
4. Will do
5. Should I apply panel by panel? By hand? Apply in circles?
6. Will do

Can I apply the second coat tomorrow? And I should wipe that area first with a damp cloth and then apply the coat. Right?
Old 18th May 2013, 12:00   #7394
BHPian

Guys,
Came across this washer which seems to be a blessing for people in flats. works in cigarette lighter socket and sucks water from bucket. With WASHER coupon comes to around 2480 rd. What do you guys think?

http://www.masticart.com/rkm-power-washer-kr118.html
madbullram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 12:48   #7395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
1. Car is under the shade and mostly covered. So just the dust, will wipe with duster.
2. Do not have one
3. Will wash using car and wax shampoo by 2 bucket method
4. Will do
5. Should I apply panel by panel? By hand? Apply in circles?
6. Will do

Can I apply the second coat tomorrow? And I should wipe that area first with a damp cloth and then apply the coat. Right?
You can use normal hose pipe to give a wash.

6. Apply panel by panel. If you have a DA or polisher use the appropriate pad . Otherwise use a microfiber towel or a applicator. Yes apply in circles.

Yes you can apply second coat tomorrow. Wiping is required just to ensure that the dust settled over a the day is removed and the wax does not get mixed with the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys,
Came across this washer which seems to be a blessing for people in flats. works in cigarette lighter socket and sucks water from bucket. With WASHER coupon comes to around 2480 rd. What do you guys think?

http://www.masticart.com/rkm-power-washer-kr118.html
Useless product IMO. The max pressure is 0.45 MPA that is around 4 BAR. Pressure washers like Bosch aquatak,karchar will give you 100 bar. 4 Bar pressure is no use at all. Its same as squeezing the tip of the garden hose to get more pressure. Thats the max you can expect.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th May 2013 at 12:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks