Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 09:00   #10786
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I might sound harsh on saying this, but with a waterless wash, no matter how carefully we do it, we will end up putting swirls on the paint. If the availability of water is an issue, then waterless washes will become a forcible choice or probably the only choice and swirls are inevitable. Well, if we use a new side of microfiber for every wipe, we might greatly reduce the risk of swirls, but doing that way will result in using many more microfibers, again defeating the purpose of saving water (We have to wash those microfibers after the car wash anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba24 View Post
Hello fellow BHP-ians,

I have been following this thread from quite sometime.
I Detailed my Honda City 2017 model today.

The car is cleaned by colony boy daily, so it wasn’t very dirty.

But the main problem I had was that swirls and scratches are same as they were before. Will Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish be good for that.

Also i need some help in choosing the tyre cleaner and how I can make exterior plastic parts shiny and black?
Hello,
The car you've got there is beautiful. This model of Honda City always gives me some kind of an excited feeling.

Swirls are caused due to improper wash techniques. If it is a colony boy who washes the car daily, then we can be 99% sure of seeing swirl marks within few days of getting the car polished.

Wax will not fill up the swirls, hence you won't be able to see a decrease in swirls after applying wax to your car. Meguiars polish will do the job. But if there are any deeper scratches, they will remain after using Meguiars polish. Deeper scratches will need coarser compounds to level them out. But yeah, Meguairs will greatly do the job. I'd suggest you to plan one panel a day. Doing the whole car a day, without prior experience will greatly reduce the outcome.

For tyre cleaning, I personally use Vim Drop with a sponge when it is absolutely necessary. It works quite effectively in removing brake dust from wheels as well. If you want really clean tyres, I realized from my experience that we have to wash the tyres twice or sometimes thrice. Even then we might not get black tyres after drying, which is when tyre dressings help tremendously. If you want an exclusive tyre cleaner, you have several options.
  • Meguairs Hot Rims Wheel and Tyre Cleaner.
  • Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner.
  • CarPro Multi X. (Diluted at 1:10)

Coming to tyre dressings, here too you have many options to choose from. I personally used 3M Tyre Dresser. Recently I switched to CarPro PERL and I never wanted to use 3M tyre dresser again. If you choose to go with CarPro PERL, you will notice that their website suggests to use the product diluted at 1:1 or without dilution for tyres. But I've been using it diluted at 1:4 and it's working wonders. These dilutions make it an absolute VFM. And no tyre dressing will last you for months on your tyres, in Indian conditions. You will have to apply weekly or twice a month to maintain the black color.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 10:39   #10787

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Based on my research, the Carpro Ech2o is supposedly a much more advanced product than ONR. Also, ONR was made as a rinseless wash whereas ECh2o (or ultima waterless wash) was made as a waterless wash. Each product can be used in either way but as the saying goes - right tool for the right job. Since I want to use waterless wash mostly, I ordered the Ech2o from Amazon along with a 100 Rs spray bottle. Will post my views after using it, hoping that it will be better than Proklear.
If the car is really dirty, the waterless wash method is really not useful and it's better or safer to go for a full shampoo wash.
Hi adimicra,
Your post comes at a point in time for me when I'm really confused between going for ONR or Ech2o ! An 8 oz bottle of ONR will reach me in December and I have the opportunity to get a couple of more bottles in February as well. But then I came across Ech2o and it seemed like a better value proposition for me. I am right now using ProKlear (the wax version) and I would like to see how Ech2o fares in our conditions. If you could post your review on the same when you use it, it will be super helpful! You hit the nail on the head with the point about the right tool for the right job!
Old 18th November 2019, 12:34   #10788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
A question from esteemed members here. I just picked up a used Civic which I got detailed. The detailing involved the application of a Paint sealant as well.

The question pertains to , how should I now be maintaining the car? The conditions in Gurgaon are really dusty and the car gets covered in dust in just one drive. I have told the local wash guy not to touch the car and right now have decided to get it washed once a week from the place where I got it detailed from. Although I am okay with the cost involved in that, I would still want my car to look good each day and not just the day when it is washed

Some pictures of the car post detailing :
Guys still awaiting suggestions about the maintenance of the car. Is it okay to use Jopasu duster to lightly dust the car off or will that again cause swirl marks?
Old 18th November 2019, 13:00   #10789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Either way, I need a good cleaning agent to take out the last 9 years deposits.
Use a foamer or a foam cannon, and use dishwashing liquid (Pril).
Then wash with a wax free shampoo.
Then use a bug n tar cleaner (autofinesse tarminator, carpro trix) on each panel, and wash down again.

Should take out the years of deposit, gunk and fallout.

Quote:
Hello fellow BHP-ians,

But the main problem I had was that swirls and scratches are same as they were before. Will Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish be good for that.

Also i need some help in choosing the tyre cleaner and how I can make exterior plastic parts shiny and black?
Meg's UP is a polish with less cut and soe fillers / oils. As you are doing this for the first time (?), I would suggest use a filler free light cutting compound like carpro fixer (or if the swirls are heavy, use carpro clearcut), and get rid of the scratches. Then you can use a glaze and a sealant.

Tire cleaner - use APC diluted to 1:5 ratio and a dedicated tire brush. Currently I am using mothers tire brush.
Rims - currently I am using valetpro bilberry wheel cleaner diluted 1:5, with daytona speed master wheel brush & mother's wheel brush

Exterior plastics black n shiny - You can use carpro PERL (Plastic Engine Rubber Leather). I personally use it . Read the directions here: https://www.carpro-us.com/interior/c...rl-500ml-17oz/

Quote:
Guys still awaiting suggestions about the maintenance of the car. Is it okay to use Jopasu duster to lightly dust the car off or will that again cause swirl marks?
Is your car coated? then I believe a waterless wash each day would do wonders for dry dusty weather. The coating would reduce the actual swirls on paintwork. Anyways, you can ask your detailer for maintenance tips if the car is coated.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 13:04   #10790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Is your car coated? then I believe a waterless wash each day would do wonders for dry dusty weather. The coating would reduce the actual swirls on paintwork. Anyways, you can ask your detailer for maintenance tips if the car is coated.
No the car is not ceramic coated, but yes paint sealant was applied when I got it detailed. The guy I got it detailed from , says that I should only get it washed once a week from his place and not use anything else to protect the paint.

I just want to know whether that is the only way to maintain it, or can I use the Jopasu duster or microfiber cloth to lightly remove the dust from the car.

Because the method suggested by the detailer, has my car looking without a layer of dust only the day of the wash. Rest of the days it is really dusty due to the conditions here in NCR
Old 18th November 2019, 13:37   #10791
BHPian

Quote:

The question pertains to , how should I now be maintaining the car? The conditions in Gurgaon are really dusty and the car gets covered in dust in just one drive.
Quote:
Is it okay to use Jopasu duster to lightly dust the car off or will that again cause swirl marks?
I would strongly suggest you to stay away from Jopasu duster.

For maintenance of the car just spray it down with diluted ONR (Optimum No Rinse) rinseless wash in a graden sprayer and wipe it with an ONR dipped 280 gsm microfiber towel. Especially the ONR wash and wax will leave your with a good glossy finish complimenting the paint sealant used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I use a garden sprayer.

ONR is very concentrated. It might be expensive but it lasts a long time. Even at detailing concentrations one spray bottle removes a lot of bird crap.
I agree, ONR is VFM option because of the 1:256 dilution ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Hello everyone,
Would like to have some suggestions on how to clean my car.

My 10 year old swift's surface has some kind of contamination all over it. Its on the paint and glass areas and makes the paint looks very dull and glass visibility poor.

Spray your car down with a citrus based degreaser, imo it should help with removing the fallout.
Be careful with the glass and take care of it on priority basis as it might be impairing your visibility.

Take it to a good detailer if the above doesn't solve your problem.

Quote:

I am adding few pics of the 4 hour hard work
Your car does look

Your daily maintenance by the colony washing guy along with the water source he uses are the biggest culprits for those deep swirl marks.
The Meguirs Ultimate Polish would give you the instant gratification, but would not last long due to its use of glaze.
You'll have to use a compound to make the paint swirl free and then use a polish to bring that factory clarity back.

Any All purpose cleaner or good shampoo can help you clean the tyres.
You can use Sonax Wheel cleaner for your alloys if needed.

If the exterior plastics are faded you'll got to use the 'Solution finish' to revive them and then add a dressing on top for the gloss.

Quote:
Based on my research, the Carpro Ech2o is supposedly a much more advanced product than ONR. Also, ONR was made as a rinseless wash whereas ECh2o (or ultima waterless wash) was made as a waterless wash.
If the car is really dirty, the waterless wash method is really not useful and it's better or safer to go for a full shampoo wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I might sound harsh on saying this, but with a waterless wash, no matter how carefully we do it, we will end up putting swirls on the paint. Well, if we use a new side of microfiber for every wipe, we might greatly reduce the risk of swirls, but doing that way will result in using many more microfibers, again defeating the purpose of saving water (We have to wash those microfibers after the car wash anyway).
The ONR dilution ratios have worked wonders for me.
Even when the car is very very dirty, unless you've been hardcore off-roading.
And since I usually shy away from water-less washing, rinseless fits better to my preferences.

Its sad to see such myths against rinseless washes/waterless like ONR.
Water usage is a big concern even when its available plenty and we should try preserve as much as we can.
With products like ONR and Ech2o we can wash the car safely by using proper techniques.
1.Use a high gsm good quality microfiber towel,
2. Use microfiber in straight lines while wiping (top to bottom / left to right),
3. Use different sides of microfiber each time it gets saturated.

These simple steps can not only help preserve water but also your paint health.

A simple 2 bucket wash will consume around 25-30 litres, pressure washing will consume around 90-100 litres while water conserving methods like ONR can wash your car in 5-7 litres.

Number of microfiber consumed for a 2 bucket wash system is 2-3 nos.
Number of microfibers consumed in ONR wash is at max 4-5 nos.(Because a microfiber has 8 sides )

Last edited by johannskaria : 18th November 2019 at 14:05.
johannskaria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:35   #10792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Its sad to see such myths against rinseless washes/waterless like ONR.
1.Use a high gsm good quality microfiber towel,
2. Use microfiber in straight lines while wiping (top to bottom / left to right),
3. Use different sides of microfiber each time it gets saturated.
I'm sorry, it's no myth. I've said those words with my experience, after following everything you've mentioned. I still use ECH20 regularly as a quick detailer, but would stay away from waterless washing the entire car. By no means do I say those products are bad. I'm ready to buy another bottle of ECH20 once mine's finished.
Old 18th November 2019, 14:48   #10793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would strongly suggest you to stay away from Jopasu duster.
My car needs dusting every time I take it out (it is covered at home, but the cover is not completely impervious). It needs dusting every time I get home, and that dust must be removed before covering.

In an imperfect world, Jopasu is the best-available quick-and-easy answer to that dust.

A perfect car owner would hose off the dust --- but I am as imperfect as the world!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 20:57   #10794
Senior - BHPian

What's the issue with the Jopasu duster? I have been using it in all my cars and have been very happy with the same.

I am very curious as I just bought a new car and don't want to harm the car paint. I use Jopasu duster daily and waterless wash in alternate days or as needed.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 21:19   #10795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I'm sorry, it's no myth. I've said those words with my experience, after following everything you've mentioned.
Please do share with me a video of how you wash the car by using Ech2o. I will be able to help you out with respect to improving the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

In an imperfect world, Jopasu is the best-available quick-and-easy answer to that dust.

A perfect car owner would hose off the dust --- but I am as imperfect as the world!
It's that lubrication to remove that dust(while hosing off or while using rinseless wash) which is lacking while using Jopasu.
And the same residual dust filled strands are introduced on other panels.

But as you said rightly we live in a imperfect world where convenience is the king.

Quote:
What's the issue with the Jopasu duster? I have been using it in all my cars and have been very happy with the same.

I am very curious as I just bought a new car and don't want to harm the car paint.
There is nothing wrong with Jopasu, its just a personal preference from my end not to use them as aforementioned .

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2019 at 07:38. Reason: PM coming up
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 22:16   #10796
Senior - BHPian

Have been using this product called V.R.P(Vinyl Rubber Plastic) by Chemical Guys. Ive been using it for more than a year now. I use it once every few months for the interior and black trim.

Its pretty long lasting after the application and doesnt leave an oily residue and doesnt attract dust either. Its more pricier than some of the competition but worth the price. Overall a pretty good all in one product.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-afbbf5960eba4c61a597da8eb93f170f.jpeg  

Last edited by aparth : 18th November 2019 at 22:17.
aparth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 23:42   #10797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do share with me a video of how you wash the car by using Ech2o. I will be able to help you out with respect to improving the process.
As I train my employees and customers how to wash a car using rinseless methods in my small detailing business.

It's that lubrication to remove that dust(while hosing off or while using rinseless wash) which is lacking while using Jopasu.

But as you said rightly we live in a imperfect world where convenience is the king.

There is nothing wrong with Jopasu, its just a personal preference from my end not to use them as aforementioned .
Can you please share the details of the waterless/rinseless washing method followed by you including dilutions for ONR.
My current schedule is a quick wipe with Jopasu duster and then waterless wash with Proklear (Will use Ech2o once it arrives). I spray liberal amount of the waterless wash spray on the panel and also a bit on the microfiber. Then wipe the panel gently using a clean side on the MF cloth. Then, wipe it dry using another MF cloth. Since most of the dust is taken up by Jopasu, I can finish the process pretty quickly using 3 MF towels - 2 MFs for wet wiping and 1 for drying. I am willing to change the process if there is a better one which does not consume too much time.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 00:52   #10798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Have been using this product called V.R.P(Vinyl Rubber Plastic) by Chemical Guys.
Have heard lot about the product.
Hopefully can try it out soon.

Quote:
Can you please share the details of the waterless/rinseless washing method followed by you including dilutions for ONR.

Things required
1. Optimum No Rinse(ONR) - 1:256 ratio
2. Sprayer bottle 1.5L
3. Microfiber - 4 nos
4. Small bucket
5. water 5-7L

Step 1

Pour the water into the bucket and add 5ml of ONR for every liter of water
(If car is very dirty can use 10 ml for liter)

Step 2

Soak the 2 microfibers in the bucket

Step 3

Fill the Sprayer with ONR dilution

Step 4

Spray the ONR onto the panel in a light misted form till it drips so as to get maximum coverage and let it soak for a minute.
you'll see the dirt being lifted/softened from the panel as the ONR works.

(ONR can be used under direct sunlight and wouldn't leave a stubborn residue mark on the paint when it dries as it is Soy Polymer based)

Step 5

Take the pre-soaked microfiber and fold it twice to get 8 sides. Lift the dirt off the panel either from left to right or from top to bottom.
(If the car is very dirty make sure the bottom part of the car is done with separate microfiber)

Step 6

After using the 8 sides of a microfiber put it back into the small bucket, the ONR will clean the microfibers too.
wipe dry.

This is the safest rinseless wash system imho.
And I use it daily.

If you want to cut down on the process/equipment, you can spray the ONR solution onto the panel till it drips. Then clean the car using 2-3 pre-soaked microfibers and a dry wipe one.
In the above method, water consumption will go down further.
johannskaria is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 09:08   #10799
BHPian

Quote:
As I train my employees and customers how to wash a car using rinseless methods in my small detailing business.
Oh that's great news to know you're in a detailing business. Doesn't matter if it's small or big. Detailing itself is a fine art. I'm no professional by any means but I belong to the category of car owners who do mind about swirls while washing my car. A little bit more detailed washer, when compared to the average Indian standards. But detailed enough to make people around me think "This guy is obsessed with his car", haha. Please don't think I'm arrogant since I've not responded to the first half of your reply, about sending a video. My personal preference is to wash with water, of course I don't waste water unnecessarily, but I just like it that way. The water ultimately enters our own percolation pit and so it gets purified and reaches back to the ground. I rarely use shampoo, so pollution doesn't happen.

Since you've said you're into detailing, I've a small query, which I hope you can help me with. I've been a user of Collinite 845 for few years now, it is wonderful. Recently I've purchased a bottle of Gyeon WetCoat and used it. It's a great product as well.

It's been a while since I've applied anything on the car, thanks to the durability of Gyeon WetCoat. I miss the depth of color and that wet look that The Collinite gives. Now if I apply Collinite 845, will it remove the Gyeon WetCoat or will it just add on a layer above it ? I've got this doubt since I recently read somewhere that Collinite has some solvent in it and applying it would remove the layers underneath it. Could you please help me with this doubt ?

Quote:
+1 to that.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:05   #10800
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have booked an ertiga for me which is in waiting period. In the meantime I am looking for products to maintain/protect it's shine. After going through a few posts/pages I have zeroed on buying Meguiar's G12711AM NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste (311 ml) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QKI3P6C/

I will using this wax from Day 1 to protect the paint/shine. Will this be suffice or Should I also use any sealant etc or anything else you suggest for prolonging the shine.

For tyres right now I am using this WaveX TG1K Tyre Polish Super Black Shine (1 L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00ZFS87LQ/

Also since the interior of Ertiga is in beige color it will require extra care Hence please suggest any recommended interior cleaner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks