Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 19:06   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Sincerely, sorry if it offends, but the things like center dashboard console reflection in windscreen and USB position are design aspects and the owners have bought into them with the prior knowledge. These I would rather not term as niggles and their solutions would rather be work-arounds and I would rather put them in main XUV5OO thread.

I am no XUV5OO owner but have been closely observing it since an year atleast since its launch and I sincerely respect M&M's steed, niggles be damned. I think the length of this thread is unnecessarily and exponentially incremented due to such non-niggle aspects being discussed here in this thread. For a non-niggle aspect things get posted and 10 responses to the same just add to the thread. Without these things in here, this thread would be much smaller and would atleast give better understanding to those judging only by the length of the thread.

The owners and enthusiasts should themselves try maintain the conformance with the thread to put only niggles and their solutions if at all. GTO and SDP have already appealed earlier.

I would rather term the Headlights, Clutch, PS, Brake problems and failures etc as the niggles and what resolution owners and M&M have come out with for the same.

In my friend's XUV5OO, there have been hardly any niggles being one of the first ones out of production. There is a constant noise from left side, cannot even say it is grinding (brake), on any speed but which could not yet be diagnosed and resolved, if there is any resolution. It had non-functioning Reverse Sensor system from Day 1, must have been due to loose connection etc, which was promptly resolved in the 1000km service. Other than that there hasn't been much.

But what baffles me is the Clutch and PS failure issues which are critical and shouldn't happen in such a (if) well-designed car. Even a couple of failures is un-digestible, if one wants to contest by the number of failures. I would rather have XUV5OO without any fancy features than the robust quality on these core aspects at least. Innova's clutch is said to be weak. But there are hardly any cases of its failure. I personally had to change the hardened clutch at 55k owing to the heavy city driving whereas there are innumerable Innovas run with stock clutch with more than 1L on ODO which mostly do highway runs. IMO these are some aspects M&M has to be sure should be utmost reliable in the coming batches, features be damned.

Once again, no offence to owners and enthusiasts.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 00:17   #1082
BHPian

Again my return to the thread.
I had mentioned on this thread a month ago about a minor accident with my XUV W8 which is 3 months old. After that incident there was a problem with the hill hold function too and its yellow light started glowing on the speedo panel. I had got car repaired and serviced and all was well, except that now there was an error in the TPMS and its yellow light started glowing! The service guy said that they are unable to rectify problem even after 2 days and said to bring the car around the 28th of Oct so that their colleagues who had gone for training at a M&M facility could return and solve the problem. In the meantime the wiper washer fluid motor was damaged.Also I discovered a peculiar problem with my XUV- When I put the center cabin light(the one above the center row) in the central mid position(i.e. it starts glowing automatically on switching off the car/opening door) and then lock the car through the remote fob on the key, I find that after 10-15 minutes the parking light and rear tail lights automatically switch on! This incident occurs in all the headlight positions except OFF. Has anyone else noticed this in their XUV, because it seems to be an electronic niggle/goof??

Which now brings me back to today.
All problems were solved-wiper fluid motor replaced- but they took a lot of time to diagnose the TPMS error. In the end they reset the TPMS system, and the screen on opening of the TPMS function displayed "LEARNING". Then they took a car for a drive to apparently give let the system LEARN and on returning, whoa the error was solved and all tyres showed OK. I forgot about the whole central-cabin-light-relation-to-parking-light problem which unfortunately again showed its ugly head when i came home tonight. Will try to ask my SA about the issue.

The above problems took 4 hours to solve and during the meantime i had a chance to look around the garage and talk to other owners who had brought their vehicles. I was shocked to see an uncle in a fit of rage when speaking to a SA, and upon approaching him i got to know that in his 5 months of ownership, his XUV W8 has had PS problems, clutch failure and to put the last nail in the coffin his windshield had been fully broken by itself at night when the car was parked inside the house(although i heavily doubt it). He was sure he will sell his car within the next week and was also full of praise for his 6 yr old Innova which had given him zero problems. Another guy who owned a W6 said there were rattling and screeching sounds coming from everywhere including the seats and doors, and his car was only a month old! Both the above 2 guys swore they would never buy a Mahindra again, and were sure that the Rexton would have ZERO buyers now that everyone knows that XUV is a pile of kabaad.
What also surprised me was that owner of a new one week old Quanto C8 had brought his car which had a problem with the screeching and thudding sound of the brakes!Poor guy said he had 6 cars and no other car from the international brands had niggling problems during the 1st year, let alone the first week.
All the above incidents have put a huge dent in my mind regarding the QC of M&M, and i now know that if i recommend this brand to any of my friends, i shall have an enemy for life. Even i own 2 hondas, 1 chevy and 1 skoda but there have been no glaring issues in any of them. I hope M&M give urgent priority to QC, else their reputation will take a mighty hit, if it hasn't already.

Last edited by abhinavinc : 30th October 2012 at 00:23. Reason: corrections
abhinavinc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 07:41   #1083
BHPian

The Horror, The Horror.....
Fully agree with abhinavinc.
The thing is when one buys a 15L product, there is a sense of expectation from it.
As far as niggles/failures are concerned, why should one pay 15L to join M&Ms trial and error repair team?
Perhaps better to wait for some more time before buying a hassle free XUV.
Agree it is a fantastic value for proposition product, but feel seriously M&M have compromised on QUALITY to deliver the XUV at that price point.
The issues i have faced are, and these are just not niggles -
1. Brake Noise - Goes and comes with a mind of its own.
2. Brake Fade - Solved sucessfully finally during the 3rd service.
3. Led Failure in Headlamps- Replaced both in 6 months of ownership TWICE!
4. Windshield scratched by left wiper - Replaced but after a lot of haggling, got the wiper changed to aerotwins...much better than stock blades.
5. Infotainment - S/W off-on-reset - Replaced and updated.
6. Clutch - got it replaced before it went bust, just to avoid failure at a crucial time....

Now, i sincerely believe, these are NOT niggles. These are crucial quality issues and defects.
M&M needs to rectify these on PRIORITY.
True the XUV has lots of owner horror stories, please visit a service centre and talk to a few old owners before you decide to buy the XUV.
But if you just happen to listen to your heart, well the SA better be your damn best friend.

Last edited by princey : 30th October 2012 at 07:42. Reason: spellcheck
princey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 00:31   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
ODO's ability to be reset to zero ONCE before first 250kms is apparently an undisclosed feature of the XUV5OO. Even my ODO was reset by the dealer at 65kms. I never tried to reset it again before 250kms. So the 'once' part is based on other people and the dealer's comments. Based on your experience, seems like it can be reset multiple times till 250kms.
I took up the matter with Mahindra Customer Care and subsequently received a phone call from the Regional Office at Ranchi followed by a visit of the Service Manager and a mechanic from my car dealer to my home. The SM clarified that it is possible to reset the ODO twice as long as the reading is less than 250 km. In other words, 498 km can be knocked off from the ODO in 2 stages. This, IMHO, is an undesirable thing and can be misused by dealers (such as by using a customer's car for test drives, etc., and then coolly resetting the ODO and restoring the car's virginity).

The SM also stated that despite resetting of the ODO, the actual distance reading since manufacture remains intact somewhere in the system's memory. He claimed that the XUV has a completely tamper-proof internal odometer memory which remains intact even if the complete instrument cluster is replaced. According to him, this memory is shared between the ECU and MBFM (Mahindra Body Function Module) and even if either the ECU or MBFM are replaced, this memory is retained!
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 02:07   #1085
BHPian

I wished I never had to post in this thread... but here I am. though not sure if this is a niggle or is there some way to correct or adjust this thing. so here it goes. the instrument cluster is not bright enough when I switch on the LED's or headlights. its no where as bright as a toyota or honda instrument cluster. infact it gets dull compared to when the LED's or headlights are off i.e. no lights are switched on. also the power window and steering mounted controls switches are not bright enough and are a bit dull and difficult to read. is there a setting to adjust this brightness like how we can adjust the lounge lighting through a switch near headlight adjustment and infotainment display brightness from the touchscreen setting option?

and also one more issue, which is a bit distracting, is there is no light on the top extreme right hand corner when the projector lamps are switched on. is this an issue and if yes what is the solution? I think this issue has been discussed earlier also but i never came across any solution or answer for this yet.

its basically a triangular dark spot from the RHS head light as reported earlier by mannubhai on the 2nd page of this thread. attaching the pic again for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-light-problem.jpg  

Last edited by magikrider : 31st October 2012 at 02:19.
Old 31st October 2012, 06:09   #1086
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
its basically a triangular dark spot from the RHS head light as reported earlier by mannubhai on the 2nd page of this thread. attaching the pic again for reference.
This is clearly by design. It helps not blinding the oncoming traffic. This kind of design is not unique to XUV5OO. I have seen it in a Innova as well as a i20 recently.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 12:14   #1087
BHPian

triangular dark spot solution (if u cant live with the dark spot)

Turn on the dippers on a dark empty road
Open the hood.
Just behind the right headlight you will see a white knob
Turn the knob to adjust the focus. Once you turn the white small know u will see the beam of the light going up or down. Just turn it in such a way that the light goes up and your blind spot is gone.
moleculez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 12:56   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Some excerpts from Wikipedia on Headlights:

Quote:
Low beam

Low beam (dipped beam, passing beam, meeting beam) headlamps provide a distribution of light designed to provide adequate forward and lateral illumination with limits on light directed towards the eyes of other road users, to control glare. This beam is intended for use whenever other vehicles are present ahead. The international ECE Regulations for filament headlamps[5] and for high-intensity discharge headlamps[6] specify a beam with a sharp, asymmetric cutoff preventing significant amounts of light from being cast into the eyes of drivers of preceding or oncoming cars. Control of glare is less strict in the North American SAE beam standard contained in FMVSS / CMVSS 108.
There clearly exist Automotive Regulations for Low Beam of headlights on vehicles and the asymmetrical throw is the proper design towards the same. It is better not be tampered with in accordance with regulations, traffic guidelines, traffic police actions thereof as well as hassles with manufacturers if you do tweak with it, but I feel more importantly onus on driver to respect oncoming traffic.

Also, this is not a niggle or an issue

Last edited by parsh : 31st October 2012 at 13:01.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:00   #1089
Team-BHP Support

Small update on the PS failure guys. I am hoping to get the vehicle back today. It has been lying with the A$$ for the last 2 days. they procured the part yesterday and are at work on it today.

Its not as simple as I thought initially. It is not merely a seal going kaput. They are changing the entire rack and pinion assembly. Now it is still possible that the entire damned thing is a single, sealed unit. But the fact remains that they are changing a big component. Once they are done they will take the car for a wheel alignment. I am hoping to get the car by evening today.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:29   #1090
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Small update on the PS failure guys. I am hoping to get the vehicle back today. It has been lying with the A$$ for the last 2 days. they procured the part yesterday and are at work on it today.

Its not as simple as I thought initially. It is not merely a seal going kaput. They are changing the entire rack and pinion assembly. Now it is still possible that the entire damned thing is a single, sealed unit. But the fact remains that they are changing a big component. Once they are done they will take the car for a wheel alignment. I am hoping to get the car by evening today.
Thanks for the update. Was wondering since Monday night what happened about the repairs.
As you are aware, A.S.S. do NOT believe in 'repair'. They go for 'replace'.
So I am not surprised that they are changing the whole assembly.
Its the dismantling and reassembling that is worrysome - especially with complex vehicles.

Please do update when the work is completed.
Any reason given why the component failed so early?
Old 31st October 2012, 14:19   #1091
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Was wondering since Monday night what happened about the repairs.
As you are aware, A.S.S. do NOT believe in 'repair'. They go for 'replace'.
So I am not surprised that they are changing the whole assembly.
Its the dismantling and reassembling that is worrysome - especially with complex vehicles.

Please do update when the work is completed.
Any reason given why the component failed so early?
A.S.S. said very clearly that the rack and pinion assembly is one single unit. They do not repair these. Anyway, in a way it is better that they do not do too many surgeries in a new vehicle. As long as it does bring in any unwelcome side effects like uneven wear and tear of tyre etc. That is the only thing that worries me.

I believe the component was declared defective. Certain batches had this problem. In fact the SA was asking on whether I had any other problem with the steering system in these many days. I did not really, till that PS oil dump happened. However, IIRC Anand or someone also had to get the rack and pinion mechanism changed in his car.
Old 31st October 2012, 14:57   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
A.S.S. said very clearly that the rack and pinion assembly is one single unit. They do not repair these. I did not really, till that PS oil dump happened. However, IIRC Anand or someone also had to get the rack and pinion mechanism changed in his car.
Yes, I too had the same parts replaced, mentioned here in the beginning of the thread. Total cost was borne by Mahindra, I saw that the parts bill was about 16000 approx. In my case, luckily(touchwood) did not get stranded, they found the leak during the first service and replaced it proactively.

Also, another reason for changing the entire steering parts could be that, these PS systems are not designed to be driven W/O PS oil in them (told by my RM), maybe that's why they did not want to take any changes and replaced all.

Hope this is the last of your trouble. Also since the vehicle is in the A** ask them if there is any other items to be changed under warranty, I see some have got their wipers changed and some 3rd generation (better) brake system is supposed to be out.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:07   #1093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
ask them if there is any other items to be changed under warranty, I see some have got their wipers changed and some 3rd generation (better) brake system is supposed to be out.
They changed one of the blades of my wiper earlier when I complained about streaks on the glass. Are you saying they are now replacing the entire wiper assembly?

Brakes are pending for replacement but looks like they have still not arrived at the dealership. Its supposed to be changed for me.
Old 31st October 2012, 16:34   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
This is absolutely new niggle. I am not even sure if it should be called a niggle. I am getting serious doubts about the reliability of XUV and especially after I have booked it. My entire purpose of buying a SUV was long drives. While I dont mind a few malfunctioning electronics - PS and clutch failures terrify me. I can't imagine being stuck in the interiors of Bihar, Jharkhand etc. with failed PS. My first preference was to buy a used Fortuner or Captiva. However after XUV was launched, I thought owning a new XUV was better than buying a used vehicle. I read from first post to the last one on this forum and concluded that most of the niggles I could live with.
But now I am really having second thoughts about the vehicle.
Well.. I was one of the first few to own the XUV - Bought it last year. Its about a year now.. I had my share of niggles - Some of it continue to be there even now and some of them have been sorted out. But in summary - I just love this car. Have done 11000KM. 8000 of which is long drives.. You won't be disappointed.
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 23:04   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
This is clearly by design. It helps not blinding the oncoming traffic. This kind of design is not unique to XUV5OO. I have seen it in a Innova as well as a i20 recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Some excerpts from Wikipedia on Headlights:

There clearly exist Automotive Regulations for Low Beam of headlights on vehicles and the asymmetrical throw is the proper design towards the same. It is better not be tampered with in accordance with regulations, traffic guidelines, traffic police actions thereof as well as hassles with manufacturers if you do tweak with it, but I feel more importantly onus on driver to respect oncoming traffic.

Also, this is not a niggle or an issue
Fully agree with SDP and Parsh. Today, I checked out my brand new XUV-W6's headlights in the night for the first time on some dark, rural roads near Jamshedpur. The dark triangle on the right hand side is quite similar to that created by my Swift's low beam. It is obviously designed for enabling better visibility for drivers of oncoming vehicles by obviating dazzle / glare. This certainly is NOT a niggle and the factory settings should not be tampered with.

Incidentally, I found both the low and high beams quite good. The static bending lights were useful as well.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks