Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2022, 21:04   #226
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Attachment 2122618
On another note, here's the new 0W20 Engine oil confirming to VW 508 and VW 509 for the newer group of TSI Engines. Make sure you insist for this engine oil for your 1.0 TSI, 1.5 TSI and 2.0 TSI on your Polo 1.0 TSI, T-Roc 1.5TSI and AllSpace and VRS 245 with the newer Gen TSI engines.
Are you sure that the new TSI (specially 1.0 ones) uses the 0w-20 ? I see that the manual states 502 00 which is roughly (5w40).
Old 2nd April 2022, 23:19   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Are you sure that the new TSI (specially 1.0 ones) uses the 0w-20 ? I see that the manual states 502 00 which is roughly (5w40).
I have shared more details about this on my first service post on my ownership thread with a separate section on the oil grade. You can read about it here. (Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic) I think the contents on my thread about the oil section (including the pinch of salt) are fairly comprehensive, but I'll add a few bits here.

VW 502 is the minimal engine oil grade for most VW petrol cars and it has been in use for several years. The technical bulletin I've shared shows the new Polo Vento 1.0 TSI engine code (DSHA) listed with the new set of engine oils. However, most bulletins, which are created in Germany should eventually make their way to VW India and subsequently to dealerships. What Volkswagen India ends up doing with it is eventually upto them from a logistics point of view. The new oil might come into use in a few months, years if all goes well or perhaps never. I guess for the time being, we can simply keep faith in what the dealership prescribes, since that dictates our warranty for the most part.

Like most issues in the VW world, which crop up, they're first reported, researched upon to create a technical service bulletin, and then made available for technicians worldwide. This has been the trend multiple times, and has even been shown on TeamBHP. Dealers bill us for issues, but the very same things were to be covered and fixed or replaced under warranty, thanks to a technical service bulletin, which they were somehow never aware about. I have seen this with the Tiguan when customers were made to pay for broken grab handles but I insisted that they fix this in warranty, thanks to a bulletin. I read about T-Roc Active Info Displays resetting the odometer or other data, which was a bad firmware which was again a part of the bulletin found by a BHPian, which led the dealership to the fix in the form of a software update. So personally, I value these technical service bulletins a lot, since they are highly vehicle specific and not generic bulletins sent out with plenty of ambiguity as to whether our vehicle is covered or not.

As for VW 502, since its the base spec, I feel the 5W-40 they use should be fine for now, since it is mentioned in the owner's manual, but the bulletin (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review), naturally suggests otherwise.

Disclaimer : Please refer to your owner's manual and stick to your manufacturer ratings for the longevity of your engine, since the manufacturer warranty would be valid only if the car is serviced as per the guidelines received by the dealer. What I might have found, read and shared online may or may not be correct, but sadly in our country, only the action of an authorised dealer is the supreme seal for retaining your warranty.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 2nd April 2022 at 23:26.
fluidicjoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 08:06   #228
BHPian

I am servicing my car - Vento 1.6 TDI (2012), at an FNG who is a Bosch outlet. He suggests using Bosch Synthon 5W-40 (link) and claims it is equivalent to Castrol Edge/Magnetec 5W-40 as both are SAE 5W-40. Is that right?
Old 25th August 2022, 19:05   #229

I've gone through this thread multiple times but I couldn't find any post about the 1.6 MPI Petrol engine which is used in both Vento and Rapid.

I'm confused about whether to use VW 502 or VW 504 engine oil options. If it is VW 502 which oil to choose?

Shell Helix Ultra - Fully synthetic
Liqui Moly Toptech 4100 - Semi synthetic
Or something else?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!!!
Old 31st August 2022, 14:38   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I am servicing my car - Vento 1.6 TDI (2012), at an FNG who is a Bosch outlet. He suggests using Bosch Synthon 5W-40 (link) and claims it is equivalent to Castrol Edge/Magnetec 5W-40 as both are SAE 5W-40. Is that right?
Both of the oils you speak of are similar in their base viscosity (e.g. 5W-40) but they are not equivalent in terms of the company approvals they meet. Castrol Edge 5W-40 meets VW 502, VW 505 and VW 505.01 (the specific approval VW oils prescribe for TDI engines), while the Bosch oil you shared does not specifically meet this grade. Many owners and garages do not pay heed to these specific approvals once the car is out of warranty and while maintaining it outside, and a good fraction of owners have not had any trouble with their engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpekter View Post
I've gone through this thread multiple times but I couldn't find any post about the 1.6 MPI Petrol engine which is used in both Vento and Rapid.

I'm confused about whether to use VW 502 or VW 504 engine oil options. If it is VW 502 which oil to choose?

Shell Helix Ultra - Fully synthetic
Liqui Moly Toptech 4100 - Semi synthetic
Or something else?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!!!
The 1.6 MPI uses oils which require a VW 502 approval. You can double check this from your Owner's Manual. Most of the oils you have listed meet this grade. You may safely use either in your engine. I have used both of these oils in 5W-40 viscosities but in our diesel car, I found TopTec 4100 to be a lot more smoother, but more expensive.
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:19   #231
BHPian

Find this on the web somewhere. Reference: https://www.machinerylubrication.com...rol-engine-oil
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-screenshot-20220901-10.18.51-am.png  

Old 16th October 2022, 19:07   #232
Sen
BHPian

As of October 2022, what are you all running with your 1.0 TSI (DSHA) engines? I'm in a dilemma for both the change interval as well as the oil itself, and wanted to request for some opinions on this thread.

Are you relying on the workshop for the oil? Running aftermarket oils like Liqui Moly?

Are you changing your oil every 7500-10000 kms?

Curious to hear what other owners are doing on Team-BHP. Looking forward to your responses!
Old 19th October 2022, 15:34   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
As of October 2022, what are you all running with your 1.0 TSI (DSHA) engines? I'm in a dilemma for both the change interval as well as the oil itself, and wanted to request for some opinions on this thread.

Are you relying on the workshop for the oil? Running aftermarket oils like Liqui Moly?

Are you changing your oil every 7500-10000 kms?

Curious to hear what other owners are doing on Team-BHP. Looking forward to your responses!
Well yes to all your questions. I am changing the oil at every ~7500 Kms. I know it is not required but pushing the oil to 15k Kms is not on my agenda. Hence to balance out the change intervals I am changing at 15k/2 = 7.5K.

Last change @ 15k was done from ASC with the VW OEM oil. The next change @ 22.5K was done with Liqui Moly Molygen 5w-40. This oil is much better and the car is now very smooth over the VW OEM oil.

P.S. I have decided to try other oils for the half interval service.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:46   #234

Hey,

Has anyone used Mannol oils in Skoda or VAG cars?
Old 27th November 2022, 02:17   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrant55 View Post
Hey,

Has anyone used Mannol oils in Skoda or VAG cars?
Know someone who did, thinking them to be at par with Liqui Moly. Mannol turned out to be very substandard.

Stick with Castrol/Shell. Buy from an original source.
Old 6th December 2022, 16:06   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
Know someone who did, thinking them to be at par with Liqui Moly. Mannol turned out to be very substandard.

Hey,
Thanks for replying. Was interested in their AWD Haldex fluid which they claim is a OE replacement for VW 060 175 A2 fluid.
The Haldex fluid from VAG cost almost 8k. The Mannol one was available for 1.5k on Amazon.
But decided to stay away after I found this article.
Old 14th December 2022, 18:20   #237
BHPian

Hello.
During regular service today of my Audi A6, 35 TDI 2018 model, the FNG guy used MOTUL 5W40 fully synthetic engine oil. I have never heard of this brand but he assured me that it is good and I went with his words. Now I am having second thoughts.

Is it good or should I get it changed as it might cause some damage?
It is India Made with manufacturing in Mumbai.

Has anyone used MOTUL earlier and would like to share a feedback?
Old 15th December 2022, 16:28   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Hello.
During regular service today of my Audi A6, 35 TDI 2018 model, the FNG guy used MOTUL 5W40 fully synthetic engine oil. I have never heard of this brand but he assured me that it is good and I went with his words. Now I am having second thoughts.

Motul is pretty well known brand. Its oils for bikes are well regarded. People who follow Moto GP will instantly recognise the brand because it plastered prominently on some of the race tracks and even partners some Moto GP teams. Suzuki is one that comes to mind.
Have used their bike oils many times but have never used their car oils. So as far as bikes go can vouch for it. They are good.
Quadrant55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 22:35   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post

I have seen/heard multiple people using Mannol oils and coolant in the UK and greater parts of EU.
From my personal experience nothing comes close to Liqy Moly products.

Quote:
Hello.

Buddy Motul is one of the leading oil manufacturers and lists on the top 5. Original Motul is good and expensive. You just need to ensure it is genuine.
Old 9th September 2023, 01:01   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Hello.

I'm pretty sure that is the wrong grade and approval oil for the 35 TDI. I believe you need VW 507 00 oils. The only ones in the Indian market AFAIK is Castrol Edge LL & Mobil 1 (i might be outdated on this info, i looked it up long back when i changed the oil on my 2.0 TDI). VW 507 00 is what you need to look for on the bottle.

Last edited by Ayson : 9th September 2023 at 01:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks