Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 13:12   #106
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

hi guys,

I have a Polo 1.2 Petrol comfortline. I have a longish trip on cards (7-8 hours). Car has done 5200kms in 6 months. Initial checkup done (6 month checkup) and no oil change done yet.

Queries:
1. Do I need to change engine oil before the trip?
2. If not, do I need to keep a spare can (say 1 ltr) with me, in case I need to top-up on the way?
3. If yes, what oil do I buy? I can not visit the ASC centre before the trip, as I am caught up in a lot of things.
4. Do I need to carry coolant with me? I guess that can not bought from outside of ASC. Correct me if I am wrong. Or would carrying a bottle of distilled water do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st September 2014, 11:49   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
hi guys,

I have a Polo 1.2 Petrol comfortline. I have a longish trip on cards (7-8 hours). Car has done 5200kms in 6 months. Initial checkup done (6 month checkup) and no oil change done yet.

Queries:
2. If not, do I need to keep a spare can (say 1 ltr) with me, in case I need to top-up on the way?
3. If yes, what oil do I buy? I can not visit the ASC centre before the trip, as I am caught up in a lot of things.
4. Do I need to carry coolant with me? I guess that can not bought from outside of ASC. Correct me if I am wrong. Or would carrying a bottle of distilled water do?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if you already have done the long trip. However please refer answers to your queries.

No need. As you have done only 5200KMs and 6 months.

Again no need. As I understand for Polo Petrol service interval is 15000KM.

Please stick to the ASC recommended oil till the vehicle is under warranty.

Again no need. Please check the coolant level before the start of the journey
sunilyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 12:13   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilyk View Post
Not sure if you already have done the long trip. However please refer answers to your queries.

No need. As you have done only 5200KMs and 6 months.

Again no need. As I understand for Polo Petrol service interval is 15000KM.

Please stick to the ASC recommended oil till the vehicle is under warranty.

Again no need. Please check the coolant level before the start of the journey
Hi Sunil, I've already undertaken the trip, and without any spare oil and coolant.

Thanks for your answers :-)
Old 20th February 2015, 21:13   #109
BHPian

Oh my God. Some much of discussion about the oil grade. I am a noob in this area and my head is revolving. Having read all the pages of this thread, still I have not got a clarity as to which grade of oil should I use for my Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI MT.

My car is just 1000 kms old. As per the initial run in discussion on the forum, there is a suggestion to change the engine oil after first 1000 kms.

But after having spoken to many of my friends who own the VW cars. Neither any of my friends have changed the engine oil after 1000 kms nor the Service Engineer from TAFE Access (Skoda A.S.S in Bangalore) recommends to change the engine oil after 1000 kms. The norm is to change the engine oil at 15K kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.

Now my questions are:

1. Should I change the oil now (odo reading is 1020 kms).

2. Irrespective of the answer to the above, still there would a requirement for top up of engine oil. So what is the suggested brand and viscosity. Is it 5W-30 or 5W-40?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by rki2007 : 20th February 2015 at 21:14.
Old 22nd February 2015, 12:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Oh my God. Some much of discussion about the oil grade. I am a noob in this area and my head is revolving. Having read all the pages of this thread, still I have not got a clarity as to which grade of oil should I use for my Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI MT.

My car is just 1000 kms old. As per the initial run in discussion on the forum, there is a suggestion to change the engine oil after first 1000 kms.

But after having spoken to many of my friends who own the VW cars. Neither any of my friends have changed the engine oil after 1000 kms nor the Service Engineer from TAFE Access (Skoda A.S.S in Bangalore) recommends to change the engine oil after 1000 kms. The norm is to change the engine oil at 15K kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.

Now my questions are:

1. Should I change the oil now (odo reading is 1020 kms).

2. Irrespective of the answer to the above, still there would a requirement for top up of engine oil. So what is the suggested brand and viscosity. Is it 5W-30 or 5W-40?

Thanks in advance..
You need not change the oil after 1000KM. At least nobody from Skoda had recommended this to me (I have completed 35000 KM till now on my Skoda Rapid Elegance TDI). After 6 months during the first free check up they might suggest to top up but not to change unless you have completed more than 15000 KM.
In Pune (Viraaj Skoda), they are using Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 and I believe it should be the same across for all the authorized service centers. So stick with their recommendations till your car is under warranty.
sunilyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 23:27   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

went though the whole thread - terribly confused !
I have only 1 Q regarding the vento/rapid TDI :
-what is already present in a brand new car from the factory ? 5W30 or 5W40 ? what standard does it meet, 505.01 or 507.01 ?
(I hope there is no change in the answer to the above Q, whether it is 1.5TDI or 1.6TDI)
Old 12th March 2015, 20:16   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
went though the whole thread - terribly confused !
I have only 1 Q regarding the vento/rapid TDI :
-what is already present in a brand new car from the factory ? 5W30 or 5W40 ? what standard does it meet, 505.01 or 507.01 ?
(I hope there is no change in the answer to the above Q, whether it is 1.5TDI or 1.6TDI)
For all the VW/Skoda diesels, you're good with VW 505.01, which is what they use during service (Castrol Magnatec professional). If you'd prefer a higher grade, which is also expensive, insist on VW 507 (Castrol Edge Professional LL03)
Old 8th April 2015, 09:14   #113
BHPian

Members, Apologies if this has been asked before. But I recently got my Passat 2.0 TDi serviced. I am not sure of which engine oil they used, but post the service I was expecting a bump in car mileage but the opposite has happened. I feel the car returns less fuel efficiency now. Is it possible that they put the POLO/VENTO grade engine oil in my car or are all VW car engine oils the same? My car has done 8K KMs and this was the first annual service. Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 00:41   #114
BHPian

HI

I recently used Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (VW505.00) in my Rapid. I had procured the oil from the Skoda dealership only but didn't notice the VW grade assuming it to be not less than 505.01 as recommended by Skoda. Right after pouring the oil this discrepancy was noticed.

The Castrol Magnatec that they earlier used was VW 505.01 which is the recommended oil on the website also.

However, now my car is on Shell which is 505.00 specification. Should I procure castrol magnatec and refill it or should I continue with Shell till the next service?
Old 12th October 2015, 21:24   #115
BHPian

@torque18: If you search around on the internet (google this: vw 505.01 "what oil do i use") you'll notice very specific instructions. You could also look up your instruction manual about how strict the restriction on the VW oil spec is.

All: I've been trying to search for VW505.01 compliant oil in Bangalore for my 2007 1.9PD engine and finally found Castrol Professional OE at a spare parts society in Hosur road. Much later, I came across http://www.dbwllc.net/product/pd-tdi...lacement-kits/ where the recommendation seems to be "use Mobil Delvac 1 5W40". Even certain overseas forums recommend the same for their out-of-warranty engines. Has anybody here tried the Delvac for their PD engines?
Old 4th January 2016, 21:48   #116
Senior - BHPian

Is Castrol Titanium Edge a superior oil compared to Castrol Magnatec Pro? Does it really matter that much?
Old 5th April 2016, 23:01   #117
Senior - BHPian

Mobil 1 ESP meet VW 505/01 but the grade is a bit low at 5W - 30.

http://www.amazon.in/Mobil-ESP-5W-30...FT7TY9YVNTNBE0

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 10:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Signs of a Major Scam ? Coverup ? (this is also Posted on my Thread)

It appears that there is some Major scam or coverup as far as Engine Oil Specifications are concerned: Below are the contents of my Mail to the People at SAIPL, as well as a reply received By Soham Bhaumik from Castrol India.

Mail to Skoda:

lease find attached the Scan of the Skoda yeti /Superb/Laura Manual regarding the Oil specifications as well as the Data Sheet of Castrol Magnatec professional which is used by the service centres across india.

Attachment 1033200

The User Manual Catergorically states that for the 2.0 103Kw Diesel Engines Conforming to BS4 Specifications the Oil required to be used is one that conforms to VW 507 00 Standard (BS4 does not have a DPF) it also lists a word of caution which is reproduced below:

" Only the above-mentioned oils may be used on vehicles with flexible service inter- vals (QG1). We recommend always refilling with oil of the same specification since this will maintain the properties of the oil. In exceptional cases, you must top up only once engine oil complying with Specification VW 502 00 (only for petrol en- gines) or Specification VW 505 01 (only for diesel engines) to maximum 0.5 litres. You must not use other engine oils - risk of engine damage! "

Now coming to the Castrol Magnatec Professional Data Sheet, it mentions that the Oil Just Conforms to the VW 502 00 to 505 00 Standards and not even 505 01 Standard prescribed. In Such a Case why are the Service Centres Mandated to use the particular Oil and Not the Oil Conforming to VW Specifiations prescribed in the Manual ?. Could you please make available the oil conforming to the VW 507 00 Specifications ?

Attachment 1033199

Copy of this mail is also being forwarded to Castrol India for comments.

Reply Given by Castrol India to Soham

Dear Soham Skoda had recommended VW 50700 oil in the 1st circular for CRDI engines but subsequently knocked it off in their 2011 Service circular . It is basically a Skoda decision . As discussed Please see the attachment for the fully synthetic Magnatec Professional B4 5w40 specs which is the recomended grade now. Best Regards

Attachment 1033201

My Queries:

1. If SAIPL Changed the Specifications in their 2011 Service Circular why are the Old Specs being continued in the User Manuals of Vehicles Bought in 2011

2. The Difference between Magnatec professional and Magnetec Professional B4 is just the 'B4'! Do the service Centres Provide us information on what oil they use ?

3. why wasnt an addendum added to our user Manuals ?

4. Skoda Needs to Come out in the Open along with the reasoning for lowering the Oil Specs, as according to the above user Manual VW 507 00 is the standard prescribed for EU4/BS4 Vehicles without DPF

5. The Warning put by Skoda regarding use of other Grade Oils is quite a Serious One to Ignore.

6. Also when Soham Spoke to The representative of Castrol India on the Phone His reply was totally Different, though when he put it in writing he did a Complete U Turn!
It is very interesting to note that the for same 1.6 litre TDi engine in the Polo they recommend VW 505.01.

Personally this has been a very vexing issue for me. I have been hunting high and low for 505.01 standard oils in India but have not found one yet. There is an extreme lack of transparency from the VW group in this regard with everything seeming geared to giving their dealers the upper hand over customers.

As per Competition Council (CCI) regulation aren't these manufacturers supposed to ensure that spares, consumables etc are available in the open market as well?

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 14th May 2016 at 10:22.
Old 12th July 2016, 15:56   #119
BHPian

I have recently got my Car serviced at the AUDI service centre in Bangalore.

An A4 2.0TDI

They have changed the oil used from the earlier Mobil 0W 40 to Castrol 5W 40.

As a reply to my email they have said that both are approved by Audi.

What are the implications if any of this change?

Should I change it back to the old oil.

Also I have a sealed container of Mobil1 0W50 manufactured in 2014. Is it still usable?
Old 16th July 2016, 18:12   #120
BHPian

Alternate VW 505 01 oil: Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
It is very interesting to note that the for same 1.6 litre TDi engine in the Polo they recommend VW 505.01.

Personally this has been a very vexing issue for me. I have been hunting high and low for 505.01 standard oils in India but have not found one yet.

Drive on,
Shibu.
This is indeed strange. The same engine in a Rapid 1.6 TDI, the owners manual recommends VW 507 00. Elsewhere in Skoda website FAQ section, they recommend VW 505 01 for the same engine.

Most of the 5W40 synthetics available in the market conform only to VW 502 00/ VW 505 00, not to 505 01. (though some of them are better for the TSI engines, compared to Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40)

Recently found another 5W40 oil (listed in the Indian website) that conforms to VW 505.01 --> Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40. All our car runs on the oil supplied from ASC and only one among them is still under warranty. Will try this Motul variant next time.

-- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks