Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 21:54   #91
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Anyone tried Eurol engine oil? It is available at snapdeal. It costs Rs.500 a litre for 5W40 oil approximately (after applying discount coupon). Price seems to be great.

Ratings given below

VW 505.01 (05) (approved)
VW 500.00/502.00/505.00

Last edited by Ramesh75 : 24th September 2013 at 21:56.
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:43   #92
BHPian

I was at Skoda service today, had gone for an oil topup and was hoping to get VM 507 Castrol Longlife III but apparently they did not stock this. The only oil they are stocking here is Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30.

I was reading up on this and apparently their partnership with Shell has gone kaput but then I wonder why they continue to push Shell. I asked the SA on why they have no 5w40, to this he said you can get it done from outside and carry the oil during service if required. But then also said that he will need to check this with his manager.

I am sorry for a No-obish query, is 5w40 better than 5w30 ? I read up the manual and it says the oil needs to be VW507 compliant, and did a bit of googling which says 5w30 can also be VW 507 and 5w40 can also be 504/507 compliant. Is that correct.

Actually a better question is if I source a 5w40 will I see improved performance ?

FYI - I own a Skoda Rapid, which is a little more than an year old.
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:33   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
I was at Skoda service today, had gone for an oil topup and was hoping to get VM 507 Castrol Longlife III but apparently they did not stock this. The only oil they are stocking here is Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30. I was reading up on this and apparently their partnership with Shell has gone kaput but then I wonder why they continue to push Shell. I asked the SA on why they have no 5w40, to this he said you can get it done from outside and carry the oil during service if required. But then also said that he will need to check this with his manager. I am sorry for a No-obish query, is 5w40 better than 5w30 ? I read up the manual and it says the oil needs to be VW507 compliant, and did a bit of googling which says 5w30 can also be VW 507 and 5w40 can also be 504/507 compliant. Is that correct. Actually a better question is if I source a 5w40 will I see improved performance ? FYI - I own a Skoda Rapid, which is a little more than an year old.

The 5 and 30 numbers in the name refers to ambient (external) temperature range that car would experience. I had also read somewhere on the forum that a oil with wider temperature range has also more additives and it would be advisable to keep this range to minimum. Given the Indian conditions, it would be advisable to go for 5w40 instead of 5w30.
Old 25th November 2013, 01:06   #94
BHPian

I was at the Skoda service centre in Kanpur the other day to get my Rapid serviced. I noticed that they were using a separate oil for yeti which was made by VAG and was made in Germany. I am attaching few pics below (sorry for the poor quality but thats the best that my BlackBerry could manage! )

I asked the guy attending to that yeti about the oil and he said that they re using this for yeti, laura and superb and for rapid and fabia castrol magnatec professional is being used. Checked with the store manager about the difference in two oils as both were 5w40 and 505.00 compliant. According to him because of the problems reported in yeti laura and superb, Skoda has started supplying its own oil for the cars which has some extra additives.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-img2013112200241.jpg  

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-img2013112200242.jpg  

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-img2013112200243.jpg  

torque18 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 16:09   #95
Team-BHP Support

Guys sorry to bump this thread.

My Yeti is due for its 3rd service soon. I've been following up with my dealer for the VW507 oil since I believe the Yeti has a DPF. The dealer says the oil is no longer available.

I spoke to someone from Skoda Mumbai who now claims that the Yeti does not have DPF. But I have seen the DPF regen happening in my car some times.

So does the Yeti really have DPF or not? And has anyone discovered any other VW507 grade oil?
Old 24th June 2014, 16:32   #96
Team-BHP Support

Akshay, none of the VAG cars sold in India have a DPF AFAIK. I happened to ask a similar query regarding the interchangeability of engine oils in another thread and a member (VeyronSuperSprt IIRC) happened to mention this aspect. Moreover, DPF hasn't been made mandatory in the country as per the extant Bharat Stage emission norms. In the upcoming norm i.e. BS V, this may be made mandatory at least in the cities.

A DPF also requires frequent cleaning (from what I've read) to remove the trapped particulates (soot) and results in a substantial loss in power due to the presence of this component in the exhaust system.

Someone could correct me if I am wrong.
Old 24th June 2014, 16:43   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Akshay, none of the VAG cars sold in India have a DPF AFAIK. I happened to ask a similar query regarding the interchangeability of engine oils in another thread and a member (VeyronSuperSprt IIRC) happened to mention this aspect. Moreover, DPF hasn't been made mandatory in the country as per the extant Bharat Stage emission norms. In the upcoming norm i.e. BS V, this may be made mandatory at least in the cities.

A DPF also requires frequent cleaning (from what I've read) to remove the trapped particulates (soot) and results in a substantial loss in power due to the presence of this component in the exhaust system.

Someone could correct me if I am wrong.
I was under the impression that the Yeti did have a DPF. I do know that none of the other cars sold here have it.

I guess I will have to check if my car has a printed page with the option codes present on it, or maybe a VIN decoder. Because frankly I don't trust Skodas technical people when it comes to things like this.
Old 28th June 2014, 19:19   #98
Team-BHP Support

So Skoda didn't seem to want to use the VW507 oil, and my dealer didn't seem keen on sourcing it for me inspite of me agreeing to pay the additional cost. I didn't want to take a change and use VW505 oil since I plan on keeping the car for a while and VW507 is supposed to be superior in many ways. I have managed to source it from the open market, and picking it up on Monday. Its called Castrol Edge Professional, the same stuff Skoda would have used. Except I'm getting it at 1100 per litre while Skoda would have charged me 1350 per litre which is MRP. A win win situation.
Old 28th June 2014, 20:19   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I was under the impression that the Yeti did have a DPF.
The Yeti does not have a DPF.

Quote:
VW507 is supposed to be superior in many ways. I have managed to source it from the open market, and picking it up on Monday. Its called Castrol Edge Professional, the same stuff Skoda would have used.
1. Castrol Edge Professional is VW 505 and not VW 507. VW 505 is more than sufficient for the Yeti.

2. Skoda would have used Castrol Magnatec Professional and not Edge.

3. VW 507 is not so superior as is made out by certain third party graphs which depict it as far superior to any other grade. It is only marginally different (superior is not the right word) to reduce DPF clogging. Remember all of them have the same SAE rating.
Old 28th June 2014, 21:29   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The Yeti does not have a DPF.

1. Castrol Edge Professional is VW 505 and not VW 507. VW 505 is more than sufficient for the Yeti.

2. Skoda would have used Castrol Magnatec Professional and not Edge.

3. VW 507 is not so superior as is made out by certain third party graphs which depict it as far superior to any other grade. It is only marginally different (superior is not the right word) to reduce DPF clogging. Remember all of them have the same SAE rating.
But then what about the DPF regen kind of thing I and other members have noticed? Where white-ish smoke comes out of the exhaust on idle, if the car has been used for short city trips, etc.

1) Give me some credit man Attaching a pic, see the VW507.

3) I know its not going to be far superior, maybe a tiny amount. But whatever comparisons I've read say it'll make the engine more silent and smooth (my primary objective of getting this oil), give better fuel economy, and its apparently overall more modern than VW505.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-8413e42a58caf0cc7ae473b1a2c47a86.jpg  

Old 28th June 2014, 22:40   #101
BANNED

Quote:
But then what about the DPF regen kind of thing I and other members have noticed? Where white-ish smoke comes out of the exhaust on idle, if the car has been used for short city trips, etc.
What makes you say this is regen?

The only cars that came with DPF from the VW group are the Phaeton and Touareg and that too only the first few. Even the flagship A8 doesn't come with DPF in any of its engines.

Quote:
1) Give me some credit man Attaching a pic, see the VW507.
Castrol India manufactures only VW 505 under Edge Professional. This is an import.

Quote:
3) I know its not going to be far superior, maybe a tiny amount. But whatever comparisons I've read say it'll make the engine more silent and smooth (my primary objective of getting this oil), give better fuel economy, and its apparently overall more modern than VW505.
Your engine has been used to 5/0W-40 and you have now moved to 5/0W-30 (VW 507) which means you have reduced the viscosity in an old engine. This is not good for the engine. What do you mean by "more modern" ?
Old 30th June 2014, 10:40   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1)What makes you say this is regen?

The only cars that came with DPF from the VW group are the Phaeton and Touareg and that too only the first few. Even the flagship A8 doesn't come with DPF in any of its engines.

2)Castrol India manufactures only VW 505 under Edge Professional. This is an import.

3)Your engine has been used to 5/0W-40 and you have now moved to 5/0W-30 (VW 507) which means you have reduced the viscosity in an old engine. This is not good for the engine. What do you mean by "more modern" ?
1) What else could it be?

Are you talking about India or in general? The Phaeton didn't have a diesel engine in India, maybe only a handful had the 3.0 tdi.

2) Yes it is an import.

3) Its done 33k kms, I wouldn't consider it old. I believe a change from 5w40 to 5w30 is hardly going to make any difference. Also by more modern I mean that the VW507 is a newer VW approval so I am guessing it has better additives, and whether or not my car has DPF the VW507 oil is recommended in the manual and used on the same engine abroad. Either way I will know soon enough whether it makes a difference or not, the car has gone for an oil change today. Shall update.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:02   #103
BANNED

Quote:
1) What else could it be?
Since it isn't related to a DPF it can be a host of other things, best not gone into in this thread.

Quote:
... a change from 5w40 to 5w30 is hardly going to make any difference.
On the contrary, it will. The engine will be smoother, quieter, be marginally more fuel efficient and also have marginally more pick up. All great stuff, except for it's long / short term effects on your engine. Good luck !
Old 15th July 2014, 02:10   #104

Quote:
The engine will be smoother, quieter, be marginally more fuel efficient and also have marginally more pick up.
Ok, I'm lost here. Doesn't a decrease in engine oil viscosity result in a harsher sounding engine? The lower viscosity does aid fuel efficiency but it will make the engine anything but smoother.

My understanding is that a high viscosity oil will require more effort from the engine therefore decreasing fuel efficiency but will offer excellent lubrication making the engine smoother and quieter whereas an oil will low viscosity offers reduced lubrication making the engine harsher but since the engine does not need work as much, will aid fuel efficiency. Let me know if i'm wrong.
Old 31st July 2014, 21:36   #105
BANNED

An interesting observation from an earlier VW catalogue which says: (on the top right hand corner)

"When using 5W-30 oil, avoid high speed long distance driving if outside temperature is above the indicated limits."

Note: This is no more applicable with the current advancements in tribology.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-3093oilrec.jpg  

VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks