Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 11:18   #76
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Sunil,

I do not know whether this is a consequence of your posting a screenshot of the Oil FAQs but www.skoda-auto.co.in is returning a 404 - Page Not Found error since yesterday night. Also, the widgets that are still visible are from the Skoda Global website! See the attached screenshot.

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-skodasite4113.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
well My dear fellow Bhpian. it so happens that the specs of the Magnatec Professional that are available on the castrol India website clearly state that it is just 505.00 compliant. The oil is manufactured in India and not imported.

as regards what has come out of my discussion here are a few excerpts

1. 'we do not know why that oil was recommended'

2. 'India being a Hot climate 5w40 is recommended' - My query Arabia an Australia have climatic extremes. why isnt that recommended there ?

3. ' Sir Please do not escalate this or Publish this anywhere. we will make the 507.00 grade oil available within 3 days'

4. Castrol India Rep. says the oil is Magnatec professional B4 which is to be purchased by the A.S.S. how come Magnatec OE is purchased ?

5. Volkswagen India A.S.S. service manager: ' Sir who knows about what oil is used. People want the service costs to be cheap. so we use Magnatec professional'

6. Skoda India Karnataka RSalesM with regard to another question raised by a buyer as to why his Laura does not have fog lamps: 'tell the bugger that we have given him a 3 lakh discount'

7.Castrol India rep at 9.30 am: 'yes sir, you are right. VW 507 00 spec oil was jointly developed by us and that is to be used. we will import 500 Litres from Singapore on a priority basis and make it available'. at 7.30 pm: ' the oil used is the right grade. it should have "professional B4" on the packing. etc etc.

BTW neither the Regional service Manager nor the technical team at Pune / Shendra have even bothered to reply to my mails as each one wants to save his posterior!

also if you refer to my fist post with the scan of the user manual, 2.0 103Kw engines BS4 require VW 507 00 compliant oil. i got my yeti in 2012. if these specs were changed in 2011, why dont i have as a part of the user manual a revised oil spec guide ?

also if you visit the Skoda India Website it would tell you that these oils (505.01) are effective from 2009, whereas the 2009 slide is below:

Attachment 1033424

The FAQ section relating to Oils as on date reads thus: (Note the date of revision at the bottom)

Attachment 1033425
Old 4th January 2013, 14:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik View Post
Sunil,

I do not know whether this is a consequence of your posting a screenshot of the Oil FAQs ...
Attachment 1034234
Apparently not. The website is back to its usual self and the FAQ on engine oils is unchanged. I had half expected it to be updated with data on the VW 507 oils, but perhaps I expected a half too much
Old 12th January 2013, 12:23   #78
BHPian

A reply recieved from SAIPL:

Dear Mr. Gonsalves,

This is reference with the telephonic discussion with Mr. Nitin Dixit yesterday evening regarding the query related to oil uses in the vehicle VIN TMBMDF5L4BA701424. For engine 2.0 L (CLCB) sufficient to use engine oil is VW505 01 (no Long life oil) and as you aware service interval for India is fixed for 15.000 km or 1 year. The engine oil by VW507 00 is long life oil for service interval max. 30 000 km or max. 2 years, this service interval is not applicable for India. Anyway engine oil VW507 00 is also useable for your vehicle which is expensive as well. However the manual which is suplied with the vehicle contains global details. Looking forward to your kind understanding and support on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Sumita Malhotra | After sales Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,
A 605, ICC Towers, S B Road,Pune, India.
HQ- A1/1, Five Star MIDC, Shendra, Aurangabad 431201, India

and my Mail to them:

Dear Ms. Malhotra

Thanks a lot for the clarification on the grade of oil to be used. could you please let me know which Oil is better for the Engine VW 505 01 or VW 507 00 ? Since the Differential Cost of VW 507 00 grade oil over the 505 01 grade oil is jsut about 350/- per litre, i would like to go in for the best product that is available at the same time protecting my engine from likely damage. Also since VW 505 01 Oil is 5W 40 and VW 507 00 Oil is 5W30 Wont using 505 01 grade oil during service affect the engine as the engine is factory filled with 5W30 Oil ?

regards
Sunil
Old 12th January 2013, 13:14   #79
BHPian

Quote:
A reply recieved from SAIPL:

Dear Mr. Gonsalves,

This is reference with the telephonic discussion with Mr. Nitin Dixit yesterday evening regarding the query related to oil uses in the vehicle VIN TMBMDF5L4BA701424. For engine 2.0 L (CLCB) sufficient to use engine oil is VW505 01 (no Long life oil) and as you aware service interval for India is fixed for 15.000 km or 1 year. The engine oil by VW507 00 is long life oil for service interval max. 30 000 km or max. 2 years, this service interval is not applicable for India. Anyway engine oil VW507 00 is also useable for your vehicle which is expensive as well. However the manual which is suplied with the vehicle contains global details. Looking forward to your kind understanding and support on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Sumita Malhotra | After sales Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,
This is going precisely in the direction that I had anticipated and theorized in one of my earlier post (see the reference below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post

Nevertheless, as I said before, applying a bit of common logic, I cannot understand why absence of a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) trap would require usage of a more viscous lube. Now, that just does not make sense, does it?

It is possible, that presence of a DPF requires using a thinner, VW 507.00 (5W-30) grade lube as it is possible that a thicker lube would damage the the filter. However, absence of it suddenly does not change the engine's metal contact and pressure characteristics. So my guess is the VW 507.00 still remains as applicable. However, now you can use a thicker oil more safely. Hence the allowance to use a VW 505.01 (5W-40) grade lube on non PDF engines.

But, VW 507.00 should still deliver a better mileage than the VW 505.01 and would probably also provide better protection as the thinner lube would be more easily circulated around. Now any justification citing higher temperatures in Indian tropical heat is actually of no substance as the viscosity index of both lubes are measured at 100 deg. C or above which is the normal engine operating temperature.

So I would certainly go with a VW 507.00 (5W-30) grade oil for my Yeti. I would be especially looking to get the Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W-30 which a lube that VW has co-engineered with Castrol and would be my 1st bet
If we probe the folks at Skoda a little further, they would soon admit that the VW 507.00 compliant Castrol Edge Pro LL-III is indeed a better grade lube. But they use the lower spec-ed VW.505.01 compliant Castrol Magnatec Pro OE or B4, for cost and logistics reasons alone.

Anybody in their right senses cannot deny that fact. They have already hinted on the first excuse of cost. The second is also obvious. Stocking 2 grades of engine oil is more troublesome than stocking a single grade.

But the fact remains VW 507.00 would have delivered a better fuel efficiency (and perhaps better engine life) for customers with CRDI engines, but who really cares for customer benefits these days...
Old 21st January 2013, 16:19   #80
BHPian

Is there any new information regarding the availability of VW 507 conformant engine oils? I have an April 2012 manufactured Yeti, which is EU5 compliant and comes with a DPF. A couple of days back, during a regular oil check I noticed that the level on the dipstick has dropped a bit - it is still within the points A and B on the dipstick as specified in the manual, but it is now closer to the lower end of the range. I felt it is best if I top-up the oil level so that it is closer to the upper end of the range and hence I asked a few shops for a VW 507 compliant engine oil, but none of them have it.
I am not sure what is the best approach now. Should I go ahead and do a top-up with a VW 505 compliant oil (e.g. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-40) or should I visit the workshop? Please advise.
Old 21st January 2013, 18:26   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any new information regarding the availability of VW 507 conformant engine oils? I have an April 2012 manufactured Yeti, which is EU5 compliant and comes with a DPF. A couple of days back, during a regular oil check I noticed that the level on the dipstick has dropped a bit - it is still within the points A and B on the dipstick as specified in the manual, but it is now closer to the lower end of the range. I felt it is best if I top-up the oil level so that it is closer to the upper end of the range and hence I asked a few shops for a VW 507 compliant engine oil, but none of them have it.
I am not sure what is the best approach now. Should I go ahead and do a top-up with a VW 505 compliant oil (e.g. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-40) or should I visit the workshop? Please advise.

No Indian yeti has a DPF, even the EU5 Compliant. this can be checked by logging into erwin.skoda-auto.cz, paying the required fee and entering the VIN.

shoot of a mail to the service centre, quote the mail recieved by me from Skoda India and ask them to procure the oil
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:41   #82
BHPian

Quote:
No Indian yeti has a DPF, even the EU5 Compliant. this can be checked by logging into erwin.skoda-auto.cz, paying the required fee and entering the VIN.

shoot of a mail to the service centre, quote the mail recieved by me from Skoda India and ask them to procure the oil
Thanks Sunil. I was under the impression that I have a DPF Yeti because vindecoder.net and http://www.octinfo.com/ told me the following about the engine -

Engine: C 2.0 CR-TDI 16V turbo, DPF, diesel 81 kW (110 PS) @ 4200 rev., 250 Nm @ 1500..2500 rev., DOHC, EU5

I guess these decoder sites are not the most reliable ones around.
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:42   #83
BHPian

Octinfo and Vin-decoder.net are free sites. if you pay vin-decoder their fees and download the spec sheet, even they would say that your Yeti is a EU4 without DPF. however i have noticed that vin-decoder.net paid decodes also have quite a lot of errors.

I have sent a mail to SAIPl asking them to arrange for the VW 507 00 oil when i go in for the Checkup at 7500 Kms. awaiting their reply
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:28   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

UPDATE & RESOLUTION:

Received a call from Mr. Mukul Borkar regarding the oils and the Confirmation Mail: Reproduced Below:

Dear Mr. Sunil,

As per our discussion, we have asked dealer to arrange for the required oil and keep you updated as availability is done for the further service of vehicle.

Thanks & Regards,

Mukul Borkar | After sales
Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,

Our Stand is now Vindicated that VW 507 00 is the grade of oil to be used.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW 507 00 is the grade of oil to be used.
For Petrol Engines VW 502 00/505 00 is the grade of oil to be used.
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE & RESOLUTION:

Received a call from Mr. Mukul Borkar regarding the oils and the Confirmation Mail: Reproduced Below:

Dear Mr. Sunil,

As per our discussion, we have asked dealer to arrange for the required oil and keep you updated as availability is done for the further service of vehicle.

Thanks & Regards,

Mukul Borkar | After sales
Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,

Our Stand is now Vindicated that VW 507 00 is the grade of oil to be used.
Finally the acceptance / acknowledgement from Skoda. I hope the VW car owners are also listening. Their TDi engines that are in use in the current generation Jettas and Passats should also be using the VW 507.00 grade Castrol Edge Professional LongLife III lubricants. I hope someone does take it up through appropriate VW channels to get this practice re-instated in their dealer workshops. It would be for their own good.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:47   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
For Petrol Engines VW 502 00/505 00 is the grade of oil to be used.
As per the manual, it should be VW 504 for petrol engines, but the same isn't available with dealers and they are pushing VW 502 00.
Old 24th January 2013, 13:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
As per the manual, it should be VW 504 for petrol engines, but the same isn't available with dealers and they are pushing VW 502 00.
No. As per manual, we are following Fixed Service Interval at 15k kms here in India and for that the specified oil for petrol engines is VW 502 00 grade -

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-skoda-superb-oil-information-manual-2.jpg
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 22:49   #89
BHPian

Its been over a month since I did a complete oil change to VW 507.00 on my Skoda Yeti and there certainly has been a definitive improvement on the fuel consumption. I drive over 80 kms a day in peak bangalore traffic. I do a tank to tank calculation after every fill. On the the last count FE has gone up from an earlier 14 kmpl to about 16 kmpl. The engine has gone quieter and smoother.

I had done the change along with the 1st inspection even though a oil change was not warranted at that point. Yet I decided to go ahead with complete drain of the first fill oil as i was not sure if it was a 507 or a 505.
Old 14th March 2013, 21:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Its been over a month since I did a complete oil change to VW 507.00 on my Skoda Yeti and there certainly has been a definitive improvement on the fuel consumption. I drive over 80 kms a day in peak bangalore traffic. I do a tank to tank calculation after every fill. On the the last count FE has gone up from an earlier 14 kmpl to about 16 kmpl. The engine has gone quieter and smoother.

I had done the change along with the 1st inspection even though a oil change was not warranted at that point. Yet I decided to go ahead with complete drain of the first fill oil as i was not sure if it was a 507 or a 505.
Hi How does one arrange for the same. I checked with skoda service centre here and they have oil in large barrels. All the service guys talk about is that the oil is 5W 40 grade and is manufactured by Castrol

Most Viewed