Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2019, 15:47   #196
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

During a recent Engine oil level check, i am shocked to see that the oil level is significantly lower than the minimum of the mark and tried the following options to purchase Liqui Moly Top Tec 5W40 oil that my engine is currently running on.
1) Tried ordering online through SparesnCare.com but site was not allowing me to make payment and gave some error, reached out to SparesnCare.com through WhatsApp to understand that they are running out to stock. Waited for a week and tried reaching out to them through WhatsApp but no body bothered even to respond.

2) Reached out to local FNG (German Motors) who stocks this oil in Chennai, said that they are running out of stock. Another online store landroverlabs.in site did not work.

2) Finally managed to place a order through Amazon on 5th Sep (seller is Aarsons and price is 4400 INR) and voluntarily opted for paid delivery considering fast delivery instead of standard free delivery. Product was expected to reach me latest by 11th September but the delivery did not happen till now, so I have reached out to Amazon CC and asked then to cancel my order and initiate the refund. The moment I cancelled my order, I see Amazon seller listing the same product for 6061 INR.

What I understand or guess is that the Amazon seller Aarsons, understanding the demand for the product now, had voluntarily opted not to ship the product to me and anticipated I will cancel my order out of frustration over a period of time, which happened eventually - now he is listing it for a higher price. I have made complaint to Amazon on the seller and the CC executive offered Apologies as a solution, which I said I am not happy and customer experience is being spoiled by such sellers. I am waiting for a revert from them.

Require your advice: I am planning for a long drive (location yet to be decided) by mid of next week and it is highly concerning that the oil level is at its lowest by now, hence I am in a desperate situation to top it up before the trip. I still have 5 months for my next service interval and close to 7200 kms to go for an oil change. With Liqui Moly not being available, I understand from Team-BHPians that mixing other grade or even same grade of different brands is not recommended. I am sure I would require 1 litre oil as top up this time.

Please share your advice on the following:
1) Are there any other fast track options that I can buy this in few days in Chennai?
2) If not, should I drain and change the engine oil completely with a different brand before I start my drive - If yes what brand will come closer to performance of Liqui Moly and where can I buy it?
3) If anyone of you have surplus in stock and if you are fine, I will be glad to pay and borrow a litre of oil or so.

Note: I am extremely satisfied using this oil as the engine noise has reduced by at-least 80% and its extremely smooth to drive.

Attaching screen shots for your reference:
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-amazon-order-edited.jpg
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-delhivery-tracking.jpg[/ATTACH]

[b]Note from Support: Please run a spell-check before posting. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2019 at 20:35. Reason: Image edited as requested. Post edited, typos fixed.
Old 25th September 2019, 11:44   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
During a recent Engine oil level check, i am shocked to see that the oil level is significantly lower than the minimum of the mark and tried the following options to purchase Liqui Moly Top Tec 5W40 oil that my engine is currently running on................
Thanks!
Hi, I reside in Mumbai and I can try sourcing from one of the dealer (provided he has) here in Mumbai. Please let me know if you think that as a possibility.
Old 25th September 2019, 12:15   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Require your advice: I am planning for a long drive (location yet to be decided) by mid of next week and it is highly concerning that the oil level is at its lowest by now, hence I am in a desperate situation to top it up before the trip. I still have 5 months for my next service interval and close to 7200 kms to go for an oil change. With Liqui Moly not being available, I understand from Team-BHPians that mixing other grade or even same grade of different brands is not recommended. I am sure I would require 1 litre oil as top up this time.
I suggest you get in touch with Jai Prakash, Perambur. The contact details are available on the forum itself. Last time I did my service there and he sourced the oil for me- the very same Liquimoly Toptec. Overall, a very easy person to deal with.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 22:01   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Hi, I reside in Mumbai and I can try sourcing from one of the dealer (provided he has) here in Mumbai. Please let me know if you think that as a possibility.
Thanks Prash for offering help. I managed to procure it from a different dealer in Amazon and got it delivered it on time before my trip to notice that the seller had intentionally scratched the manufacturing date as it is 2018 stock. but based on the batch number i figured out that it could be Sep 2018 or mid 2018 stuff when co relating to batch number on my earlier purchase. Why cant these sellers be transparent?

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-img_20190924_173314.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:51. Reason: Invalid attachment removed.
anandharamanp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:15   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prash for offering help. I managed to procure it from a different dealer in Amazon and got it delivered it on time before my trip to notice that the seller had intentionally scratched the manufacturing date as it is 2018 stock. but based on the batch number i figured out that it could be Sep 2018 or mid 2018 stuff when co relating to batch number on my earlier purchase. Why cant these sellers be transparent?
Sorry for the very late reply.

Guess these oils don't sell in large numbers hence old stock. But guess a 2018 oil shouldn't matter.

How much did you pay for, if you don't mind sharing please.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:50. Reason: Quote fixed, typos.
Old 31st October 2019, 14:40   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
How much did you pay for, if you don't mind sharing please.
I bought it for Rs. 6061/-.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:51. Reason: Quote fixed.
anandharamanp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 17:53   #202
BHPian

Hi All,

Thought this will be useful for all - Castrol now has fully synthetic oil which meets the VW 505 01 spec in their new 5w-40 Edge.

I found this in Mumbai and I'm happy I don't have to get stressed to find this spec of oil only through a limited channel / distribution network / manufacturer, hoping others follow suit soon!

Here's confirmation - on their website too -
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united...html#tab_5w-40

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1572956203.582117.jpg

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1572956239.633043.jpg

Warm regards to all,
Aayush
aayushnair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 08:36   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Thought this will be useful for all - Castrol now has fully synthetic oil which meets the VW 505 01 spec in their new 5w-40 Edge.
So now all the more confusion. I have my service due, which oil should i go for?
Liqi moly or Castrol?

Please let me know your experience after using Castrol.

Thanks
Prash

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:54. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 23rd February 2020, 14:50   #204

I was about to buy Liqui Moly Top Tec for my Polo and then happened to see this one. It is VW505 01 compliant and sold by Land Rover lab. Does anyone know how good is meguin compared to liqui moly. Both are HC Synthese oils. Oil change interval as per the description is 10000 kms whereas VW recommends 15000 kms with Castrol.

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-images-20200223t141457.957.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:53. Reason: Picture inserted in-line, typos.
Darkman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 23:11   #205

Just found out that Meguin is a brand owned by Liqui Moly. Most of their oils are identical/rebranded. Meguin 5w40 and Liqui Moly Toptec 5w40 have exactly the same technical specifications.
Darkman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:14   #206

Sharing some of my notes on this topic for my VW Polo Diesel 1.5 TDI (2014)
The attachment shows the engine oil spec for this car as per owners manual.

VW Service back in 2015 used the Castrol OEM Professional 5w40 which seems to have been 505.00 or 505.01 based on earlier posts.
Shell Lube Bay uses their Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for diesel engines. The spec on the back of the container clearly shows that this is a 505.00 spec oil which seems underspec'ed as per permitted oils listed in the attached sheet.
Many of the garages use this oil or Castrol Magnatec 5w40 which are also 505.00 oils or other 5w40 oils which are also 505.00 oils (including, in one instance, German Wuerth 5w40 synthetic)

The appropriate replacements I could find are
Castrol Edge 5w40 which is 505.01,
Castrol Edge 5w30 LL which is 507.00 and
Mobil1 ESP 5w30

I had a few questions on the specification itself
1. On the meaning of "Flexible service (long life)" and "Fixed service" ?
I found this explanation
However, its not clear what QI 1/2/3/6 mean - any pointers ?

2. The engine oil spec (esp 507.00) also seems to be tied to the the fuel quality spec and it looks like it requires EN590 (diesel). As per the manual
"The use of engine oils compliant with the VW 504 00 und VW 507 00 specifications requires a fuel quality compliant with EN 228 (petrol) and EN 590 (diesel).
Engine oils compliant with VW 504 00 und VW 507 00 are therefore unsuitable for use in a large number of markets."
Any idea if the diesels in India conform to EN590 ?
If not which is a better spec to use 507.00 or 505.01 ?

Thanks,
--pradeep

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-vw-polo-1.5tdi-engineoil-spec.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:54. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
Old 20th September 2020, 09:58   #207
Senior - BHPian

Update:

VW / Skoda have changed the OEM oil vendor from Castrol (Magnatec) to Shell Helix.

While Castrol Magnatec was 505.01 compliant, Shell Helix is only 505.00 compliant.

This is more relevant for Diesel engines as 505.01 is specifically recommended for diesels.

Those who follow oil specifications keenly may source your own 505.01 oil (Liqui Moly, Motul, Castrol Edge, etc).

Engines fitted with DPF are now supplied with oil that conforms to 507.00 by the ASS.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:55. Reason: Typo.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:55   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Those who follow oil specifications keenly may source your own 505.01 oil (Liqui Moly, Motul, Castrol Edge, etc).
There is no need to search outside for 505.01 engine oil. ASS uses the same grade/spec engine oil. Here are some snapshots of the labels on the Engine oil Barrel at the VW service center taken on Monday. No mention of Helix or Helix Ultra on the labels. However, clearly mentions 5w40 and VW505.00/VW505.01.

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-vw_shell_1.jpeg

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-vw_shell_3.jpeg

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-vw_shell_2.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:56. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Quote trimmed.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 17:24   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
Sharing some of my notes on this topic for my VW Polo Diesel 1.5 TDI (2014)
Sir in India, most engines seem to be following a Fixed Service Interval of 1 Year or 15000kms for Oil Change. Volkswagen does NOT follow the LongLife Service Intervals. Yes, the oil recommended is also a function of the fuel rating. If you've noticed, VW 505.01 is more commonly met by 5W-40 Engine Oils and VW 507 is met by the 5W-30 (Mobil1 ESP 5W-30, Castrol Edge 5W-30) grade. VW 507 has been recommended for engines with DPF. To the best of my knowledge, most common VAG Diesels like Polo, Vento, Jetta 2.0 TDI, Jetta 1.9 TDI and even Tiguan 2.0 TDI mostly come without DPF and all of these have been using VW 505.01 at the service centre, and the Owner's Manual and Service Manual on ERWIN also says the same thing. I'd just follow the owner's manual. If they say 5W-40 505.01, I wouldn't use 5W-30 and consequently VW 507. I have serviced my Jetta myself for the last 2 years and used VW 505.01 and covered about 35000kms in that period and I used LiquiMoly TopTec 4100 followed by Castrol Edge 5W-40, both meeting VW 505.01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
As of now, I have not seen VW 507 being used at Volkswagen Dealerships. And Volkswagen used Castrol Magnatec Professional (505.01) quite a long time ago. From the last 3 years, I've seen Castrol Edge Professional OE (Made in Belgium) being used in their vehicles. Here is a popular bottle that they offer on request if the engine seems to be consuming oil. I have also used the newest formulated Castrol Edge 5W-40 and it is now a readily available compatible VW 505.01 oil. Yes, Shell Helix Ultra that we have seen commonly in stores and on Amazon remains to be VW 505.00 not VW 505.01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
There is no need to search outside for 505.01 engine oil. ASS uses the same grade/spec engine oil. Here are some snapshots of the labels on the Engine oil Barrel at the VW service center taken on Monday. No mention of Helix or Helix Ultra on the labels. However, clearly mentions 5w40 and VW505.00/VW505.01.
I believe Volkswagen may have multiple vendors for oil across the nation or its region depending on its tie-ups. But yes, I have also heard from multiple sources that Shell is now being supplied and its a big development to see a Shell Manufactured container. But I feel that does not necessarily imply Shell is supplying the same Helix Ultra 5W-40 to Volkswagen as well. It could well be a variation of the Shell oil meeting Volkswagen's recommendation.

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-bottles-front-view.png

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-bottles-rear-view.png

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2023 at 02:57. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line, quotes trimmed.
fluidicjoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 12:11   #210
BHPian

Hello bhpians,

I have sticked to whatever engine oil the ASC has been offering till date. In other words, I wasn't keen on knowing what engine specification they were using and I have been trusting them to use the correct specification for all these years. Now my 1.2 TDI has done almost 10 yrs and clocked over 1.05 lakh kms.

I've kind of decided to take my car to the nearby FNG instead of the ASC for any future services. After going through the thread, I understand that I should be choosing the VW 505.01 recommended specification of engine oil for the car. I'm very keen on trying the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40, primarily because of the good reviews I've heard about them.

Can anybody help me on where can I source them from? I prefer to buy online but I don't see it available on the popular online shopping sites. Any online/offline (within Kerala/Chennai/Bangalore) leads would be really appreciated.

Any other brands fellow bhp'ians recommend? Thanks for the help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks