Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 14:17   #46

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Below is the email i received from Tafe Access, Bangalore. I had asked them for the commercially available engine oil that i can use to topup in my rapid.

Dear Sir,

Greetings from TAL Skoda,Bangalore.

This is in line with the telecon we had today on the subject car, please find the contact details for any queries or servicing.

M/s Tafe Access Ltd,
# 919,Bharani Industrial Estate,Kudlu Gate,
Chikka Begur Road,off Hosur Road,
Bangalore-560068.
Board Line:080-40813900.
080-65310191 or 080-65310193

Skoda recommended Castrol OE 5W 40 Magnetec Professional Oil.

Thanking you,

Regards,

Ms.XXXXXXX,
Customer Relation Executive,
Tafe Access Limited,
Bangalore.
080-40813900

Note from Support: Copy - pasting from external editors (like MS Word) may leave formatting tags that need to be removed manually. Please review your post before submitting it. Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 28th August 2012 at 14:46. Reason: Note Inline
Old 29th August 2012, 20:03   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_divakaran View Post

Skoda recommended Castrol OE 5W 40 Magnetec Professional Oil.
Skoda's recommendation is indicated in the manual. It is shown as VW 507 00 compliant oils and Castrol OE 5W 40 Magnatec Professional is not VW 507 00 compliant. This was the reason for starting this thread.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Castrol OE 5W 40 Magnatec Professional is not VW 507 00 compliant.
Are you sure VW507 is not compliant with 5W40 ?
VW507 00's viscosity @ 100 deg C is between 30 to 40.
IMHO, You may choose to use
1. 5W30 - fully synthetic oil with low sulfur content if you drive at low revs.
or
2. 5W40 - fully synthetic oil with low sulfur content if you drive at high revs.

You may use any brand as long as it meets the necessary specs (Fully Synthetic + low sulphur)

Complaint Oils with magnetic additives may also be used.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Castrol 5W40 Magnatec Titanium Edge Fully synthetic (and any similar oil from Mobil and other manufacturers) is THE ideal oil for Skoda/VW group cars in "India" specific driving conditions not withstanding whatever it says in their User Manuals which are basically written for European conditions.
Old 5th September 2012, 01:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:

And now getting back to the subject at hand, have used Castrol Edge Professional 5W-40 (in Castrol marketing speak: "our strongest and most adaptive range of engine oils yet") for my Rapid.
Can you please tell me where did you get this 'professional' range oil from because apparently its not available in the retail market. it would be a great help.

Also the service centre guy informed me yesterday that they are using castrol magnatec 5w 40 and not magnatec b4 professional which skoda recommends. Any info on magnatec b4 professional or edge professional would solve my problem

thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 08:46   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Can you please tell me where did you get this 'professional' range oil from because apparently its not available in the retail market. it would be a great help.

Also the service centre guy informed me yesterday that they are using castrol magnatec 5w 40 and not magnatec b4 professional which skoda recommends. Any info on magnatec b4 professional or edge professional would solve my problem

thanks
Castrol Edge Professional is not available in the retail market. It may not be right for me to post how I got it - in fact even the bill was not made in my name.

However, Mobil 1 B4 5W-40 or B4 0W-40 is easily available and this would do equally well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Castrol 5W40 Magnatec Titanium Edge Fully synthetic (and any similar oil from Mobil and other manufacturers) is THE ideal oil for Skoda/VW group cars in "India" specific driving conditions not withstanding whatever it says in their User Manuals which are basically written for European conditions.
Please go over the discussion thread so that you may update your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_divakaran View Post
Are you sure VW507 is not compliant with 5W40 ?
The information on this is available in the discussion thread - please go over the same.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please go over the discussion thread so that you may update your information.
I have. I have used Castrol Magnatec Edge Titanium Fully Synthetic 5W/40 which is recommended officially by Skoda in Indian conditions and embossed inside my User's Manual with perfect results. You are trying to go overtly technical on an issue which really serves no purpose for us Skoda owners but may lead to more confusion in the ranks.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 19:53   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I have. I have used Castrol Magnatec Edge Titanium Fully Synthetic 5W/40 which is recommended officially by Skoda in Indian conditions and embossed inside my User's Manual with perfect results. You are trying to go overtly technical on an issue which really serves no purpose for us Skoda owners but may lead to more confusion in the ranks.
VW / Skoda are getting too many things wrong in their Indian driving cycle calculations. Forget their adventures in the tribological arena, even simple fuel filter change intervals are being underestimated hugely – not a good thing for owners. And in this case, we are not talking about the owner’s manual alone but further clarification received from factory personnel so there is no relevance of EU specs here. The recommended oil in my Laura 1.8 TSI owners manual is different from that in my Rapid manual whereas the workshops don’t seem to adhere to that and use one grade of oil for all VW / Skoda models. Are they doing the right thing? I hope, for all our sakes, they are.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW / Skoda are getting too many things wrong in their Indian driving cycle calculations.

whereas the workshops don’t seem to adhere to that and use one grade of oil for all VW / Skoda models.

Are they doing the right thing?
On my recent visit to Skoda ASC, I can understand what you are getting to. I saw the exact VW 504 00/507 00 compliant Castrol fully synthetic oil branded as Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow, that was available there, which was a 5W-30 grade (photos posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2906604 ). However was disappointed and surprised to note that the oil they are generally using from barrel is Castrol Professional 5W-40 which they claimed was semi-synthetic and not fully synthetic. Perhaps they are indeed getting things wrong in their IDC calculations...
Old 27th November 2012, 13:47   #55
BHPian

Folks:

VW 507 compliant oil should be used only if the engine is DPF equipped - for ex: in Europe, and North America.

Skoda/VW recommend that the engine oil used for the non-DPF Indian diesels should be VW 505 01 compliant. This is primarily what we should focus on. They've also updated their website with this info.
See here: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ind/serv...s/FAQs.aspx#26

To see VW's latest testing and recommendations (which is in line with the above),
see here: :http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Cer...ossmehl-VW.pdf

To understand the VW oil spec differences:
http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

To understand ACEA oil specs, please read:
http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/fi..._Sequences.pdf

To understand API oil specs, please also read:
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...010_120210.pdf
Note that the API Sx (ex: SN, SM) category is for Petrol engines, and the Cx catergory is for Diesel engines.

Our current sulphur content in BS-IV diesel is 50mg/Kg. http://www.siamindia.com/scripts/diesel.aspx

From all of the above, since sulphur content in our BS IV diesel is 50 ppm, an API CJ-4 category of oil won't be suitable as it commands use of diesel with 15ppm sulphur.
CI-4 plus or CI-4 spec'ed oil would be ok, as long as it meets VW 505 01 as well. So, let's start by focussing on VW 505 01.

When I compared popular oils from reputed brands in India, I found this:
  1. castrol edge titanium 5w40 - API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3 + A3/B4, VW 502 00/505 00
  2. Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 - API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3 + A3/B4, VW 502 00/505 00
  3. Mobil 1 5w50 - API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3 + A3/B4, VW 505 00/501 01
  4. Castrol magnatec professional OE 5w40 - API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3 + A3/B4, VW 502 00/505 00/505 01

In the aftermarket segment, Mobile 1, Castrol and Shell may not be compatible, they only meet VW 505 00, not 505 01.

So, the Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40 used in the VW/Skoda/Audi service stations is perfectly ok. Nothing else seems to meet VW 505 01
But, note that its API CF, nothing higher. I am yet to come across a brand of oil that is compliant with VW 505 01, and yet also API CI-4 plus/CI-4; or ACEA A5/B5 compliant.

Hope this helps!
Cheers...

Last edited by kryptonite : 27th November 2012 at 13:53. Reason: corrected some info
kryptonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 23:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Folks:

VW 507 compliant oil should be used only if the engine is DPF equipped - for ex: in Europe, and North America.

Skoda/VW recommend that the engine oil used for the non-DPF Indian diesels should be VW 505 01 compliant. This is primarily what we should focus on. They've also updated their website with this info.
See here: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ind/serv...s/FAQs.aspx#26

In the aftermarket segment, Mobile 1, Castrol and Shell may not be compatible, they only meet VW 505 00, not 505 01.

So, the Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40 used in the VW/Skoda/Audi service stations is perfectly ok. Nothing else seems to meet VW 505 01
But, note that its API CF, nothing higher. I am yet to come across a brand of oil that is compliant with VW 505 01, and yet also API CI-4 plus/CI-4; or ACEA A5/B5 compliant.

Hope this helps!
Cheers...
The link to the Skoda India's recommendation to use VW 505.01 does not seem to work any more. So I would not comment on that.

But if one were to dig into the VW motor oil specifications and take a look at this picture... the story seems to be very different. DPF enabled or not VW 507 seems to be the recommendation from them as well as the owners manual that we are provided with.

Therefore the lube that should be used in the 2.0 litre TDI (Non-Pump-duse) seems to of 5w-30 grade and not 5w-40 grade. Hence, as long as Skoda India A.S.S uses the SLX Professional Powerflow LongLife III SAE 5W-30 a.k.a Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W 30 we can rest assured because it is a fully synthetic 5w-30 grade lube and absolutely in line with the VW recommendations.

However, if the Skoda India office recommend the 5w-40 instead, citing the reason as India's tropical heat, we have more than concrete reasons to question the credibility of that statement.

In the SAE viscosity indication in the format xxw-yy, while xx refers to the viscosity coefficient at 0 deg C, the 'yy' refers to the viscosity at 100 deg C. A higher yy simply means that the oil is thicker and more difficult to move. I cannot understand why absence of a DPF suddenly would require a more viscous oil. It just does not make sense.

I cannot say if by using a 5w-40 grade oil would be detrimental to the engine in the long run, but we are certainly loosing out on fuel efficiency at best. Unfortunately none of the leading lube brands have a fully synthetic 5w-30 grade oil available in our country. Shell is the only brand that used to have it in the form of Helix Ultra Extra, but they have stopped importing it on account of their separation with Skoda/VW and lack of demand on account of it being expensive.

I am worried if like many things else Skoda / VW is trading off the long term ramifications of engine degradation for the short term benefit of having cheaper service bills for the Indian buyers...
xplorauto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 10:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post
The link to the Skoda India's recommendation to use VW 505.01 does not seem to work any more. So I would not comment on that.
The link changed, but the info is still there.
Look at #26 of : http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/service/faqs

Also, did you read this? http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Cer...ossmehl-VW.pdf
Review the summary on page 16.

Thanks for sharing the VW chart.

Last edited by kryptonite : 28th December 2012 at 10:24.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
The link changed, but the info is still there.
Look at #26 of : http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/service/faqs

Also, did you read this? http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Cer...ossmehl-VW.pdf
Review the summary on page 16.
Thanks for sharing the info. Clearly this is conflicting information. Nevertheless, as I said before, applying a bit of common logic, I cannot understand why absence of a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) trap would require usage of a more viscous lube. Now, that just does not make sense, does it?

It is possible, that presence of a DPF requires using a thinner, VW 507.00 (5W-30) grade lube as it is possible that a thicker lube would damage the the filter. However, absence of it suddenly does not change the engine's metal contact and pressure characteristics. So my guess is the VW 507.00 still remains as applicable. However, now you can use a thicker oil more safely. Hence the allowance to use a VW 505.01 (5W-40) grade lube on non PDF engines.

But, VW 507.00 should still deliver a better mileage than the VW 505.01 and would probably also provide better protection as the thinner lube would be more easily circulated around. Now any justification citing higher temperatures in Indian tropical heat is actually of no substance as the viscosity index of both lubes are measured at 100 deg. C or above which is the normal engine operating temperature.

So I would certainly go with a VW 507.00 (5W-30) grade oil for my Yeti. I would be especially looking to get the Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W-30 which a lube that VW has co-engineered with Castrol and would be my 1st bet. I am also told that the lube is freely available with the Castrol dealers as well.
Old 28th December 2012, 23:05   #59
BHPian

Hi have been searching for oil which meet the 505.01 specifications most of them mentioned that they are suitable for the pumpe Duse Diesel engine of vw now the current skoda Diesel engine in the Laura is the Tdi one Therefore how is 505.01 compatible even though it is mentioned in the manual and web site
Old 29th December 2012, 08:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

I recently used a 1 litre refill oil pack from the market and kept it in the car for emergency refilling. This is what I got - Castrol Edge Titanium 5W40 Fully Synthetic. This is supposedly better than the Castrol Edge Professional 5W40 and this oil confirms to the VW 502 00/505 00 standards that is required for my car's 1.8 TSI engine. Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...estiny-24.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks