Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 16:29   #151
BHPian

VW 507 00 vs VW 505 01 oil for VAG diesel without DPF in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Thanks for quick response. I went through the whole thread on VW/SKODA engine oil and "Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30" stand out a little.
- There are some folks who do not recommend 5W30 for Indian hot condition.
- There are some folks who are already using it.
- It is considered better spec

So i am little confused should i use this going forward or not. Can you please also give me some feedback on this.
For mainstream VW diesel engines (i.e TDI PD and TDI CR) since early 2000's, there are primarily two VW specifications for engine oil: VW 505 01 and VW 507 00.

VW 507 00 is mandatory for VAG diesel engines equipped with DPF. VW 507 00 is the newer better standard, and is backwards compatible with VW 505 01 spec. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 conforms to VW 507 00.

Now the catch regarding backward compatibility:

1) Sulphur in fuel and SAPS content in engine oil:

VW 507 00 was specified by the OEM particularly for Low-SAPS (sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur) engine oil and for being used in conjunction with extended drain intervals (i.e upto 2years/30,000km etc).

Low-SAPS content in oil is intended to protect sensitive diesel-after treatment systems employed in Euro-5 and Euro-6 engines (i.e with DPF, SCR etc). Some part of the oil vapour in positive crank case ventilation system gets absorbed into the intake, minor amounts through the turbo shafts also and hence SAPS content in engine oil is critical to durability of the EU5/EU6 diesel after-treatment systems. The efficiency and life of these components in the exhaust is sensitive to sulphur levels in fuel as well. The ultra-low sulphur diesel ( <10 ppm) is also part of the EU5/EU6 norms.

Furthermore VW 507 00 engine oils in general have lower TBN (alkalinity) value, as lesser acidic contents are expected in combustion blow-by gases (since ultra low sulphur fuel). Lower TBN is also related to lower ash content, which is preferable when DPFs are equipped.

Coming to the Indian scenario: More than higher average ambient temperatures, I would be particularly concerned with the fuel quality in India. BS4 is still upto 50ppm sulphur levels in diesel and we would be getting ultra low sulphur fuel only with BS6 (2020). Deterioration of engine oil over it's service life is primarily related to the fuel quality and thereby by combustion blow-by constituents. Higher sulphur in fuel means higher acidic content that needs to be neutralized. VW 507 00 spec oil, with its low-SAPS and relatively lower TBN values, which is ideally expected to be used in conjunction with <10ppm sulphur fuel could thus deteriorate faster over the 15,000km period than a VW 505 01 spec oil, when used with our fuel quality (more sulphur, more acidic content).

Additionally VAG cars made in India don't have DPF. I believe they are deleted for CKD 2.0TDI engines also, though some claim that few variants of Yeti/Passat have it.

2) Fixed vs Flexible Service Intervals:

VAG cars in other markets can be opted with a flexible service interval, by which the oil change interval can be extended upto 2 years / 30,000km based on driving conditions. Such cars are also equipped with an additional Oil quality sensor, and not just the oil level/temperature sensors. When such a flexible & extended oil drain interval is specified, VW recommends use of diesel engine oil conforming to VW 507 00 and not VW 505 01.

VAG cars in India (at least the CKD and made in India ones) are not equipped with the particular oil quality sensor. The cars thus have fixed service intervals of 1 year/15,000km and thus no benefit from using VW 507 00 spec oils. VW 505 01 is sufficient.

3) Viscosity considerations for backward compatibility:

VW 505 01 engine was available in 10W40, 5W40 and the thinner 5W30 viscosities in various markets. In India we have only the 5W40 viscosity variant of VW 505 01.
VW 507 00 was never available in 5W40 grade, anywhere. It was always specified in 5W30 and recently in 0W30 also (for better cold start lubrication).
So in some markets, going from VW 505 01 to newer VW 507 00 also meant maintaining the same viscosity like 5W30 itself. For a engine with significant mileage on it I am not sure of going from 5W40 to a thinner oil like 5W30, and thus I would be apprehensive about shifting to Mobil ESP 5W30.

Switching to a thinner 5W30 oil would of course give perceivable increase in smoothness levels during cold start and engine warming up phase (this is not a VW 507 00 benefit). How the oil holds up at operating temperature and whether it performs its lubricating, cleansing and cooling properties effectively over the entire drain interval is more critical, and this is not a 'perceivable' effect.

In short, for the VAG diesel engines without DPF which are being used in conjunction with fuel containing higher sulphur content than EU markets, I would prefer to use to VW 505 01 spec oil over VW 507 00. Go for Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 5W-40 or Motul 8100 "X-Clean" 5W40, both are generally accepted to be better than Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40.

Some extra reading:
avinash_clt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:28   #152
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Hi folks!
A quick query. Is the oil filter same for the 1.5 TDI and 1.6 TDI engines? Also can someone tell me what is the OE filter make used by Skoda on the 1.5 TDI. And finally how many litres of oil does the 1.5 TDI take?

Planning to get my oil changed after the first 5K km. Have procured a 5L can of Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 from sparesncare. Thanks in advance.
Old 17th December 2017, 16:26   #153
BHPian

Mine is VW Vento 1.5TDi DSG 2016 Dec vehicle. The odometer stands at little above 25K KM. When I went for filling diesel today at my regular Shell fuel station an employee requested for engine oil check for some reason I agreed and to my surprise we noticed the engine oil level is very close to low level. Given that there is another 5K for my next service he offered Shel Helix Ultra 5W-40 but its a 4 litre one.
  1. Is this common / normal to have engine oil level as close to the low mark in dip stick?
  2. Can I drive with it for 5K without a top up (we do highway drives quite often)
  3. Where can I do a top up of any VW recomended oil in Bangalore?
  4. Is visiting a VW service centre the only option now?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
Old 17th December 2017, 19:50   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Mine is VW Vento 1.5TDi DSG 2016 Dec vehicle. The odometer stands at little above 25K KM. When I went for filling diesel today at my regular Shell fuel station an employee requested for engine oil check for some reason I agreed and to my surprise we noticed the engine oil level is very close to low level. Given that there is another 5K for my next service he offered Shel Helix Ultra 5W-40 but its a 4 litre one.
  1. Is this common / normal to have engine oil level as close to the low mark in dip stick?
  2. Can I drive with it for 5K without a top up (we do highway drives quite often)
  3. Where can I do a top up of any VW recomended oil in Bangalore?
  4. Is visiting a VW service centre the only option now?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
Please buy a 1 litre bottle of 5W40 off Amazon.

It's not common but occasionally it happens.

Just top up with 250 ml when cold on a level surface. Confirm as overfilling is just as bad!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 21:39   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Mine is VW Vento 1.5TDi DSG 2016 Dec vehicle. The odometer stands at little above 25K KM. When I went for filling diesel today at my regular Shell fuel station an employee requested for engine oil check for some reason I agreed and to my surprise we noticed the engine oil level is very close to low level.
Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
It seems that you checked the oil without waiting for the engine to cool down. Most of the service centers recommend to cool the engine for about 10 minutes before checking the oil. The best thing you can do is to check the oil dip stick at the morning (or after letting the engine cool for about 10 minutes) at a level ground and then top up accordingly. Just don't overfill & you can always order a 1 liter bottle of the required grade of engine oil online.

Here is an interesting thread on how to check engine oil level.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...procedure.html
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 22:16   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Please buy a 1 litre bottle of 5W40 off Amazon.

It's not common but occasionally it happens.

Just top up with 250 ml when cold on a level surface. Confirm as overfilling is just as bad!
Amazon is not having a litre of 5W40 Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W40 in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
It seems that you checked the oil without waiting for the engine to cool down. Most of the service centers recommend to cool the engine for about 10 minutes before checking the oil. The best thing you can do is to check the oil dip stick at the morning (or after letting the engine cool for about 10 minutes) at a level ground and then top up accordingly. Just don't overfill & you can always order a 1 liter bottle of the required grade of engine oil online.
The fuel station is hardly a Km from my house so not much of a chance for engine to reach ambient temperature. That said will still check the oil level tomorrow morning first thing.

Cheers
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 22:42   #157
BHPian

Suggest you check the oil level yourself(who knows -it may be a sales pitch also) and if it is really low, do a top up as early as possible , i understand from experts here that it is not recommended to mix castrol and helix ultra, if you want a top up go for castrol edge magnetac professional 5w 40.
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 12:34   #158
BHPian

I have a rapid 1.6 tdi.

The car has its service due. Since the car is out of warranty, I intend having the service done at FNG.

Which oil should I buy? the manual says it should conform to VW 507.00.
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:14   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Which oil should I buy? the manual says it should conform to VW 507.00.
Since the car doesn't use a DPF and we still don't have ultra low sulphur fuel in our country, stick with VW 505 01 spec oil. Some versions of the owners manuals explicitly state this, some don't.

VW 505 01 spec:
1) Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40
2) Motul 8100 "X-Clean" 5W40
3) Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

Some related discussions in post #134 & #151.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:37   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Since the car doesn't use a DPF and we still don't have ultra low sulphur fuel in our country, stick with VW 505 01 spec oil. Some versions of the owners manuals explicitly state this, some don't.

VW 505 01 spec:
1) Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40
2) Motul 8100 "X-Clean" 5W40
3) Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

Some related discussions in post #134 & #151.
The Central Government has submitted to the Supreme Court that wef 01/04/2017, BS VI fuel would be available on all petrol pumps in Delhi/NCR.

Would it have any bearing on the engine if 505.00 oil is used?
Old 24th February 2018, 20:01   #161
BHPian

Quote:
The Central Government has submitted to the Supreme Court that wef 01/04/2017, BS VI fuel would be available on all petrol pumps in Delhi/NCR.

Would it have any bearing on the engine if 505.00 oil is used?
It is VW 505 01*.
VW 505 00 is an older standard and there are many options of oils conforming to it.

Even if BS6 fuel is being supplied, the vehicle still doesn't have DPF nor option of extended (flexible) service intervals (more than 1year/15000km). So better to stick with VW 505 01 itself.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 21:07   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
It is VW 505 01*.
VW 505 00 is an older standard and there are many options of oils conforming to it.

Even if BS6 fuel is being supplied, the vehicle still doesn't have DPF nor option of extended (flexible) service intervals (more than 1year/15000km). So better to stick with VW 505 01 itself.
Can you suggest some oils with 505.01.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 08:32   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Can you suggest some oils with 505.01.
There are not many oils that claim compatibility with 505.01. This is the one I used for my recent oil change. Liqui Moly Toptec 4100. Costed me approx 3.7K from Sparesncare.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-1519527634404.jpg  

Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 13:33   #164
BHPian

I was reading about Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40. Some say it is not 100% synthetic. The box also says just synthetic technology, whereas other oils such as Mogul X-Clean 5W-40 have 100% synthetic printed on the labels.

Moreover, it is emphasized by Liqui Moly to only use sulphur-free diesel, while using Top Tec 4100 as the engine oil. I wonder if it suitable at all for us, despite the VW 505.01 conformity.
Old 18th April 2018, 12:13   #165
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I own the 2014 Polo 1.6 GT TDI, which has been serviced through OEM until now. I don't have any active warranty anymore (obviously), and the car is due for the 60K service.

Like many others here, I have been pestered with 'Diesel-gate software update' calls from a year now. When I called up my known SA in Mysore for an appointment, he informed me that they have been strictly instructed not to allot a service slot without an acknowledgement from the customer to go ahead with the software update.

So in short, Bye Bye VW Service, and Hello 'Gannu' D.I.Y.

The major concern I have is about the engine oil. I am planning to get the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Is this fine, or should I go with any other better brand/grade?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks