Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 12:36   #376
BHPian

humyum, I think your fuel gauge mechanism inside the tank must have got clogged or something. Can't be related to acetone I guess. Why don't you try a fill up without acetone and check if that solves the problem if you feel its related to acetone?

cya
A
Old 28th August 2007, 17:16   #377
BANNED

Acetone for USED Maruti800

There is one used maruti 800 '97 done 62000KM . is that OK & safe to add acetone to this 10 year old engine. if yes should it be tried with normal or IOC premium...looking for opinion & M800 users experience with used maruti + acetone MIX. TIA.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:32   #378
BHPian

go ahead!!

go ahead!
add @2 to 2.5 ml/litre including the petrol existing in ur tank.
and then
ur gonna love finetuning and sam for it and ..
gonna hate urself for not using this magic potion for so long!!!
keep posted!
try with normal good quality fuel ..
Old 29th August 2007, 12:36   #379
BHPian

try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Having been adding acetone since 2 times and have finished 2 tankfuls of petrol on acetone and i must say the engine has definately become more smoother and more responsive but dont know the fuel gauge which din conk for 9 years conked off after i started adding acetone.Even with a full fuel tank it shows only 3/4th.Dont know if its related to adding acetone or no.

The service station guy says we have to open the fuel tank and check the mechanism inside.
try adding 1-2 ml of best possible 2 stroke oil with petrol .. it will partially lubricate the sliding mech. of the guage .
all the best
Old 29th August 2007, 15:47   #380
BHPian

Hi humyum,

I think there is problem of float in your fuel tank.Not a big problem.Keep using acetone.Its plain colurless solvent which only works to enhance combustion by its peculier property.In no way this leads to any other engine problems.Also as suggested by Sam try using 2T oil...just 1 to 2 ml per ltr of your fuel.This will also help in smoothness as well as performance of engine.

Hi Shapath,

You can safely add this wonderful liquid.Try using 2.5 ml per ltr.With older car there is generally high octane requirement,this will help in that way as adding acetone also improves octane rating of fuels to certain extent.
Even with new car this passes same benefits.
Old 29th August 2007, 17:42   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi All, since acetone can wreck havoc with plastic parts I need to know if anyone has used it in a matiz as the fuel line in this car is made of plastic.

Could someone clarify this please?
Old 15th September 2007, 23:06   #382
Senior - BHPian

For past 4 - 5 k KM i have not been adding acetone and i can see the decrease in performance for sure. Even the engine is more coarse and not silent. Today tried to test the performance and was unable to cross 60kmph in 2nd gear whereas when i used to add acetone it used to do 70kmph+ in 2nd gear. I don't know the reason behind it lol

Regarding FE i don't know because i haven't ever calculated it much but i think it's same. With or without acetone Rs 500 petrol lasts 4 days Max (90% 3 days)

Acetone works great for Carb. engine haven't tested it for MPFi.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:36   #383

@finetuning

I am anxious about

1) Fuel Tank corrossion
2) fuel Lines and fuel pump
3) Possibe clogging of injectors
Old 16th November 2007, 09:44   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkumarm View Post
@finetuning

I am anxious about

1) Fuel Tank corrossion
I have been using acetone for over a year and half, there has been no observed problems. only thing is a great and smooth drive.
Old 16th November 2007, 20:57   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkumarm View Post
@finetuning

I am anxious about

1) Fuel Tank corrossion
Hi,

1)Corossion has nothing to do with tiny addition of acetone in the ratio of say 2 ml per liter.It burns along with fuel & no residue is left.

2)Fuel lines & pump cant have negative effect with such addition.

3)It can not clogg injectors as its volatile liquid.

Why we add acetone?

To improve the chemical charecteristic of fuel.We add it for better vapourization which help improve combustion and so on.Acetone is slow burning liquid.It can resist flame front for longer time till full combustion takes place which is a far cry even in modern engine.So slight amount is definitely worth adding.
Old 30th December 2007, 11:35   #386
Senior - BHPian

no effect on my TVS victor

guys i tried yes in the evening....i added 5 ml in 2 liters of pertol and put in my bike..... tvs victor has a power mode and economy mode indicators.....
frankly speaking i didnt notice any difference in power or top speed...and i dont know abt F.E...
i can claim this becoz earlier on a plain road my bike used to go upto 60 KMPH in economy mode...i.e with a certain amount of throttle open.... when i pull the throttle to make it go above 60 it goes into power mode...
if acetone was supposed to increase the speed or power or whatsoever then my bike should have gone above 60 KMPH with economy mode i.e with the same throttle open..... but i am finding no diff...
my top speed was 90 KMPH....before adding acetone and after adding its the same 90 KMPH.......
i had purchased pune acetone from chemist......

suggest......as i had decided to try in my bike first....and then go for my CAR....
Old 17th January 2008, 01:48   #387
BHPian

Hi!

I am planning to test Acetone on my Wagon R (2006), with Shell Super petrol.
1. Any one with any experience in trying it on Wagon R ?
2. Shall I start with 1ml or 2.5 ml ? Which is the best practice to start the experiment ?

Ashly A K
Old 18th January 2008, 18:46   #388
BHPian

dont add overdosage of additives.

Just read this article:
Howstuffworks "How do I know if my catalytic converter has failed?"

here is an excerpt from it:
"Any additives or malfunctions that cause the mixture or the temperature of the exhaust gases to change reduce the effectiveness and life of the catalytic converter. Leaded gasoline and the over-use of certain fuel additives can shorten the life of a catalytic converter."

so ,please take due care while adding additives or using premium fuels with additives.
Old 25th January 2008, 09:34   #389
Senior - BHPian

after reading this article (the whole lot, all of 26 pages over few days!) decided to give it a try.

finally managed to geot myself a 100ml bottle of acetone yesterday (after a search of almost a week!!!).

planning a long trip this sunday, will test it then and let you guys know (which will not be a surprise - smooth engine, good power, etc etc!)

thanks finetuning!
Old 25th January 2008, 15:09   #390
Senior - BHPian

This is strange. Acetone is available off the shelf at any chemist. Is it that difficult to get in B'lore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
finally managed to geot myself a 100ml bottle of acetone yesterday (after a search of almost a week!!!).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks