Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:18   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I know people who get rash after sqeezing lime. Sometimes I also feel little itchy. I guess its person to person.
Maybe you are allergic to lemon. Actually the lemon peel contains some chemicals that imparts the characteristic odour to lemon. May be you are allergic to that and allergy is such a thing - a person can be allergic to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
AS for dilution, what you are saying that dipping a susceptible rubber part in such a solution(1ml in 1L) for one year will have no adverse effect? If thats the case, I guess acetone is a safe additive.
What my friend told me that if you dip a acetone sensitive part in a very dilute solution for a long period of time there will be an effect, how long it takes depends on strength. eg. it can be within days or years depending on solution.
Yes IMO dipping a acetone sensitive part in 0.1 or 0.25% solution of Acetone in Petrol for an year or so will have no effect on it.
Old 24th June 2007, 09:29   #347
Senior - BHPian

@Vez & @Notorious

Sorry for being off-topic, but did I say anything wrong or my tone was discouraging if at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
Now, GD, is that any way to encourage the youngster?
Old 24th June 2007, 17:11   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
@Vez & @Notorious
Sorry for being off-topic, but did I say anything wrong or my tone was discouraging if at all?
Lol, well GD, u did say "hello 17 year old", implying lack of experience/knowledge with ur tone.

Anyway...

@Absar...I'm actually quite surprised with ur results with acetone in the Ikon 1.6 Nxt! A 'rotten egg' smell usually comes from a sulphur compound (I'm no expert though) and is something I've never come across in my Ikon, with or without acetone. (however, it's very rarely that I get to cross 120/130 kph!)

Therefore, u should probably check that up...

My guess is, there are certain additives in Speed petrol that don't mix well with acetone (which is why I only use regular). So it's probably not advised to combine the two. However, see my earlier post about using Speed in the Ikon 1.6....but if it works well for u, then by all means! Hi-octane fuel in my car never worked well...
Old 25th June 2007, 17:58   #349
BHPian

I have driven more then 10,000 Km with acetone with no ill effect.I think its better to have Known Adulteration rather then being the victim of UnKnown Adulteration from pumps.We dont know how much damage bad fuel passes on after few years.Forget about the power,pick up & mileage.....now its time to check our emission that we cant control in any way.Using such stuff makes a way for cleaner & greener driving conditions.....I was attracted by acetones pollution reducing ability with other benefits....in diesel vehicles it really helps....also adding it in such tiny amount of just 1 to 2.5 ml per ltr doesnt have any harmful efect on any parts.....its too tiny amount to have any damaging effect & furthermore it actively takes part in combustion....

Till now no sceintific explanation is given why acetones must not be used lookin at its long list of benefits.

Enjoy...
Old 28th June 2007, 12:39   #350
BHPian

Hello everyone! I just came back from another trip yesterday, on regular unleaded fuel -without adding acetone, after finishing the tank in which acetone was added. I pushed the car upto 160 -my normal routine of driving. But then, that rotten egg smell did not come, which i faced earlier when acetone was added in the fuel. Thank god!

The mileage on the tank when acetone was added was around 10.5-11 kpl though I did not cross 130 because of that rotten egg smell which would come up. That's a quite big drop from the normal 13-14 I get using Speed, despite doing 160. The mileage with regular unleaded, I'm yet to check because a top-up is scheduled this evening. I expect around 12.5-13 atleast.

Anyway, I'm bound to go on another trip this weekend, so I'm thinking should I give one more try for acetone or is one try enough to check the working of acetone or should I stay with regular unleaded or go back to Speed.

And P.S. @ vezj420, I wasn't using Speed with acetone. I was using regular unleaded!!

A
Old 28th June 2007, 13:36   #351
Senior - BHPian

Going by the same logic that you propound, should one safely assume that rest of the crude derivatives like diesel, oil, grease, kerosene etc., too don't react with acetone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Chemistry was my subject till my Masters and also I'm earning my bread & butter with the help of it.

Acetone and Petrol does not react.
Old 28th June 2007, 20:35   #352
BHPian

acetone is an excellent solvent for grease, oil and fats and also its not very reactive in nature.

Stability of acetone:
Stable. Incompatible with halogen acids and halogen compounds, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents, caustics, amines and ammonia, chlorine and chlorine compounds, strong acids, nitrosyl compounds. Highly flammable. Readily forms explosive mixtures with air.

Acetone does not even react with rubber - what it does is it dissolves it and various agents that are present in rubber as conditioning agents. But that is true for 100% pure acetone - in 0.25% strength (2.5ml in 1000ml) it comes to ppm level.

TLV for acetone for human is 750ppm (TLV - Threshold Limit Value. An estimate of the average safe airborne concentration of a substance in representative conditions under which it is believed that nearly all workers may be repeatedly exposed day after day without adverse effect).

So just think.

_______
Arup
Old 30th June 2007, 09:55   #353
BHPian

Hello! An update on my mileage on driving regular unleaded. I got some 12.7 combined mileage, 400 km on highway and 50 km in the city with full time a/c. I guess I'm sticking to regular unleaded now. It wont be shortly that I get another feeling to try acetone again.

P.S.: vezj420, thank you for recommending to use regular unleaded for the ford ikon 1.6.

A

Last edited by Absar : 30th June 2007 at 09:56.
Old 30th June 2007, 15:31   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hello! An update on my mileage on driving regular unleaded. I got some 12.7 combined mileage, 400 km on highway and 50 km in the city with full time a/c. I guess I'm sticking to regular unleaded now. It wont be shortly that I get another feeling to try acetone again.

P.S.: vezj420, thank you for recommending to use regular unleaded for the ford ikon 1.6.

A
hey no problem! glad to pass on the benefits, as finetuning always says. Speed for some reason never worked well in my tank. I was using system G for the longest time before switching to acetone as an additive with regular unleaded.
Old 8th July 2007, 08:36   #355
BHPian

little off topic ! but imporant

as per engg science and petco chem know how-----
1)to get maximum fuel efficiency in terms of kmpl ,one needs to useMINIMUM octane petrol which engine can handle .
2) higher octane petrol used in engines not equipped with knock sensor should actually give lesser kmpl.
3) higher octane petrol +engines with knock sensors may give higher output in terms of bhp & torque for sure ....
4)the rise in bhp n torque depends upon the program which advances and retards the ignition timing and the actual compression ratio --brake mean effective pressure .
5)higher compression ratio engines with dohc quad valve pent roof/semi hemi heads with flat top pistons and great squish bands in combustion chembers will benifit the most<assuming the presence of knock sensor and program to support it>
Old 8th July 2007, 13:58   #356
BHPian

Thought I'd share my experience too...

Earlier I had tried about 1% acetone in petrol and felt very little difference. That's why had voted for 'Slight Improvement'. But now I wish there was an option to change my vote. I now have about 2-2.5% of acetone in my car, and the difference is noticeable. It isn't exactly doing any wonders to the engine, but the performance/smoothness gain is very much perceivable. The noise/vibrations have dropped to zero.

I haven't checked the mileage yet... but am sure it's gonna be great. The needle usually drops to E from 1/2 in a week and bringing it back to 1/2 on each Saturday is sort of a routine, but it's still about 5-10 degrees above E since last Sat. And.. I think, I can drive till Tuesday for 'free'.

One -ve effect though... is that the high end performance has suffered a bit. The car seems reluctant to go above 110. It seems the torque band has shifted to the low rpm range. I'm able to pull from 20 even in 4th.

Last edited by amu1983 : 8th July 2007 at 14:01.
Old 9th July 2007, 07:38   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Hello 17 yr old, 2.5 ml is the upper limit. You start with a lower ratio and then increase or decrease till you find the optimum performance. And the correct FE will settle down after 2 or 3 treatment.
Sir now i am 18 years old. cheers .thanx for advice now i am using 1 ml/ltr, see whats happens
Old 9th July 2007, 14:24   #358
Senior - BHPian

Happy Birthday dear and welcome to the Men's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Sir now i am 18 years old. cheers .thanx for advice now i am using 1 ml/ltr, see whats happens
Old 9th July 2007, 15:52   #359
BHPian

This is something really good Im GOTTO Try IT.....
Old 12th July 2007, 08:22   #360
BHPian

great news!!

hi
for a long time i was not getting ALL kind of effects which are stated in more than 25 research papers on the net.
so i got my acetone checked!!!
it was 32 % acetone and sold as 100% pure!!!
now i ve fortunate enough to find out a senior person who has a dr degree in chemicals...
tests chemicals and medicines for multinationals ,

AND IS WILLING TO PROVIDE PURE ,PURER,AND PUREST FORM OF ACETONE +XYLINE+2-T OIL READY MIX WITH INTERNATIONALLY ACCEPTED CERTIFICATES TO SUPPORT IT ,
..........................AT COST!!!!!!
HE HAS ALL THE ANSWERS WHY ACETONE SHOULD WORK WONDERS.... WITH CHEMICAL FORMULAS.... <FINE TUNING .. NOW U HAVE A TECH HEAD TO HELP U IN YOUR NOBLE CAUSE!!>
he will also answer all the tech and stupid questions..
.......P.S.........and selling acetone or kinds is not his businesss....its all afriendly elderly help coming from nowhere...
.to begin with am getting a sample of the ready mix vial just to be injected ...............for r&d purpose..
ill keep u updated!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks