Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:45   #406
BHPian

Hey Abhibh,
Could you specify the "Other Oils".
My car is also pretty old and i change only the engine oil every 8K Kms.

Would like to know what other oils should i change & what is the Recommended Change Interval. Not the 5K km but recommended interval.

P.S. - All mechanicals are working fine.
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:01   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey Abhibh,
Could you specify the "Other Oils".
My car is also pretty old and i change only the engine oil every 8K Kms.

Would like to know what other oils should i change & what is the Recommended Change Interval. Not the 5K km but recommended interval.

P.S. - All mechanicals are working fine.
Recommended oil changes for Astra is 10K KM. Other oils i change if necessary as i drive alot on dusty roads / unleveled / full of big potholes and car travels in 1 - 2 gear for 20 - 30 mins now days. So i change coolant / engine oil. Rest if change gear oil every 10k because it keeps my gear box smooth.

I change at 5K so that engine runs good and its almost 7 years and 90K + KM now.
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:07   #408
BHPian

Thanks, will get my gearbox oil checked, my gearbox has become a little rough of late now that you mention it.
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:45   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, will get my gearbox oil checked, my gearbox has become a little rough of late now that you mention it.
change your gear oil man , its cheap and easy ,see the immediate difference .It blew my mind the 1 st time i changed my gearoil at 14000 km instead of 20 000 km.
Do it man.
cheers
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:30   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
amit you have messed up on the ratio. I have read alot on acetone on internet after this thread and found that the best is to put 1.5 - 2 ml max per ltr. Also different bikes and different cars act differently to these ratios. I myself have used acetone in past and can vouch the effects but i am not using it on my car now, not because it had some adverse effects but as car has already traveled 90K km and i m not risking anything.

I change my engine oil and other necessary oils every 5K km even though service is every 10K km. And everytime i get oils changed the mechanic always says to me that oils are as good as new why are you changing it ?

ok thanks abhibh. now i will try again with 1-2 ml every 1 litre in my bike and get back to you again. but i really doubt this method. sounds something fishy.
Old 23rd February 2008, 13:10   #411
BANNED

Guys guys.

Why all this hungama,

Lets run our automobiles the way it has to run,lets not Ruin it.

Someone had posted about using Boric acid to gear box oil, used it on my M-800, theres no effect on it.

These informations are just timepass.

Use quality fuel and run your automobiles, rather than trying all these nakhras on them.

If this claim was right, every tom dick and harry would have sold this in market as a "power booster for your vehicles".

And about oil changes.

Your vehicle has to be well lubricated to function better,

Change the engine oil for any car after 5000 kms and gear box oil after 15000 kms.This will keep your car well lubricated and enhances life of mechanical parts inside.

Its only lubrication dude.

cheers
Old 5th March 2008, 01:12   #412
BHPian

hey everyone,
still havnt gotten around to adding it. can someone please tell me whether i can add the acetone directly into the fuel tank. If no, then from where do i get loose petrol to make the mixture before adding???

Also, can i get my gearbox oil changed at any petrol pump? my gearbox has become way too rough. it almost feels like there is no lubrication.

Last edited by Xehaust : 5th March 2008 at 01:14.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:20   #413
BHPian

Someone toh reply Where can i get my gearbox oil changed?
(Mumbai)
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:38   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Mumbai)
man go to any authorized service centre. anyone will change it for u. it is very simple. u can add a gear box oil supplement too.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:42   #415
Senior - BHPian

Yes you can add acetone directly to the petrol tank just before filling petrol; just make sure the ratio is correct. Also, you can get loose petrol from any petrol pump. Just walk-in to any bunk and say that I need to buy a petrol to douse self. And pronto they will douse you with the hose..Secondly, to change the gear oil, go to the same place where you go to change the engine oil..

Quote:
(Mumbai)

Last edited by gd1418 : 4th April 2008 at 13:44.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:47   #416
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
... Also, you can get loose petrol from any petrol pump. Just walk-in to any bunk and say that I need to buy a petrol to douse self. And pronto they will douse you with the hose...
While at it, please make sure that you do not get distracted with the 'Cash or card sir?' type of questions. Keep you eye on the meter!
Old 4th April 2008, 15:19   #417
BHPian

What i meant was where can i get the gearbox oil changed apart from the authorised service centre.
Going to them is a pain. And i dont think any petrol pump does it.
So was looking for suggestions as to any local garage or mechanic who is competent enough and has the oil as well.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:22   #418
BHPian

Xehaust - If you mean Gear Oil or transmission oil, them purchase it from Any petrol pump or any other shop selling lubes and take it to any local garage workshop...its not a very complex process, atleast in my Esteem...
Old 4th April 2008, 16:03   #419
BHPian

Alright, thanks
Old 1st July 2008, 13:04   #420
BHPian

FT I want to ask you that are there chance of fuel pump failure becoz of acetone. becoz my fuel pump failed on this Sunday and my car Ford Ikon is only 1.3 years old with only 9000kms on ODO. So are there chance becoz of Acetone or maybe becoz of Additive, Castrol Booster which i used to use sometimes. Also Acetone i never used for Every top-up. Becoz i drive only abt 15kms on average daily. So not much drive. But i like to performance after adding Acetone. But the problem is just a doubt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks