Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 17:40   #436
BHPian

long time!!

indica <taxi.... from 17 -19 kmpl to 23-25 kmpl...
palio d...>1.3 mjd... 22 kmpl to 29 kmpl.... 1.12 ml per lit..
thanks fine tuning.... c ya
Old 16th October 2008, 18:10   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
indica <taxi.... from 17 -19 kmpl to 23-25 kmpl...
palio d...>1.3 mjd... 22 kmpl to 29 kmpl.... 1.12 ml per lit..
thanks fine tuning.... c ya
Acetone in Diesel? I thought this thread discussed only adding it to Petrol. My two cents on this - Diesel, as a fuel, has a very high flash point. The fuel ignites with the high compression ratios rather than a spark. Acetone, as I know of it, is a aromatic hydrocarbon like Petrol, and volatile on top of that. Any amount of Acetone in Diesel would effectively bring down the flash point of the mixture (compared to pure Diesel) and could cause the cylinders to 'fire' before completing the compression stroke. Wouldn't this affect the timing of the engine and wreck havoc with the power delivery system?

Also, I doubt how well Acetone would mix with Diesel, Acetone being volatile and Diesel being oil-like. Would they even mix?

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 16th October 2008 at 18:15. Reason: Edited Post
Old 16th October 2008, 19:58   #438
Senior - BHPian

I dunno about this Alchemy, but acetone mixes very well with diesel, at least visually. Secondly the ratio is quite less to cause any major effect on the firing. I've been using for quite long without any issues till date. Of course the power delivery & smoothness improved considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Acetone in Diesel? I thought this thread discussed only adding it to Petrol. My two cents on this - Diesel, as a fuel, has a very high flash point. The fuel ignites with the high compression ratios rather than a spark. Acetone, as I know of it, is a aromatic hydrocarbon like Petrol, and volatile on top of that. Any amount of Acetone in Diesel would effectively bring down the flash point of the mixture (compared to pure Diesel) and could cause the cylinders to 'fire' before completing the compression stroke. Wouldn't this affect the timing of the engine and wreck havoc with the power delivery system?

Also, I doubt how well Acetone would mix with Diesel, Acetone being volatile and Diesel being oil-like. Would they even mix?

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 17th October 2008, 15:43   #439
BHPian

I have been watching this thread for sometime now and have done some reading outside this forum also. In spite of all the discussions and conclusions that this is a myth (The Great Gas conspiracy), I have decided to give it a try and find it out for myself.

Can someone tell me where I can get acetone in Bangalore ?
Old 20th October 2008, 10:45   #440
BHPian

I brought from Trust medical store, in Koramangala 1st block.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:02   #441
BHPian

Acetone is an effective solvent for many substances, including some paints. It also can cause deterioration of rubber which is usually found in the fuel system (hoses, disc valves in filters etc). Considering this, I would not like to use it on my vehicle. I was reading some years back that using acetone caused massive corrosion of the combustion chamber surfaces.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:14   #442

xylene plus 2Toil

Dear All,

I am back with another round of testing. This time I tried to use the combination of Xylene and 2T oil.2ml(of the mixture) per litre of normal petrol. I have been driving around for three months(2000km per month) and I am getting between 10.3 and 10.6 km per litre.The significant difference noticed as compared to using acetone is that increase in power is not felt eventhough the engine runs smooth.

I have tried driving other Corrollas' to check the difference. The obvious thing one can notice is the smoothness of engine and pick up is much better.

My next experiment is ,I want to use 2ml of acetone(to improve acceleration) along with 0.5 ml of xylene and 0.5 ml of 2T oil.I am thinking of using castrol 2T, I guess the quality of Castrol(PIB) is much better than other PSU grades,any thoughts on this , I think I will optimise with this ratio.

Will get back with results.

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:05   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of using castrol 2T, I guess the quality of Castrol(PIB) is much better than other PSU grades,any thoughts on this , I think I will optimise with this ratio.
But why are you comparing them with PSU 2t oils? There are many other good/better brands to choose from - Veedol, Gulf, Shell, Motul, etc.

Your best and safest bet might be the fully synthetic from Motul... like I'v mentioned somewhere before. Supposed to burn the cleanest. But its pricy.

Btw, whats the source of your info that Castrol 2t contains PIB? They havent mentioned it anywhere, AFAIK. The only brand that mentions the use of PIB is Veedol.
Old 7th March 2009, 16:51   #444

Pib

I really do not remember where I got it, but during my initial years in R&D when we discussed about usage of 2T oils ,low smoke ,low friction oils were requiring usage of PIB,if my memory is right at least 25%.Since all these newer oils are conforming to JASO FC which is a low smoke spec,I am assuming these oils should have PIB or other synthetic oils as an ingredient.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:18   #445
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody tell me from where can I get PURE acetone in Pune? As TurboSam sais, he got 32% pure acetone in a 100% pure labeled bottle from chemist, so wondering if I can source it from somewhwre else in Pune.
Old 6th August 2009, 06:11   #446
BHPian

Yes you may feel that it is giving you better mileage but in the long run it is going to give you a major headache .Acetone does dissolve the rubber hose ,seals and gaskets so be prepared for a major expense down the road.Do a google search on acetone and gasoline you will find articles both pros and cons
Old 6th August 2009, 08:49   #447
BHPian

2 ml of acetone in 1 liter of petrol means 0.2% acetone. Acetone in this concentration can not harm rubber and plastic components.
Pure acetone (100%) does but 0.2% does not. It's science.
Old 6th August 2009, 09:10   #448
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Can someone tell me where I can get acetone in Bangalore ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Can anybody tell me from where can I get PURE acetone in Pune? As TurboSam sais, he got 32% pure acetone in a 100% pure labeled bottle from chemist, so wondering if I can source it from somewhwre else in Pune.
Ask at some school or college who the supplier for lab chemicals is. They will be able to give you the details. Otherwise ask your wife. She probably uses it to remove nail polish.
Old 6th August 2009, 10:11   #449
Senior - BHPian

Bought Acetone from a chemist today. Filled 4 ltrs of petrol and the bike already has 1 odd ltr. So poured in 2ml * 5 = 10ml of acetone in the bike (Splendor). Right now the bike is parked in the basement of my office. I will get to know the difference once I drive my bike in the evening.

Once I am ok with it, I will use it in my Car (Palio 1.2 Sport) as well. Will keep you guys updated on this.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:46   #450
BHPian

any idea if any residue accumulates in the piston when used with diesel. as acetone being less soluble in diesel than petrol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks