Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 15:05   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This is strange. Acetone is available off the shelf at any chemist. Is it that difficult to get in B'lore?
was of the same thought, but looks like not all (atleast the first 7 that i asked) did not shelf it!

but got it from 'Pills & Powder' pharmacy.

Did my first drive and, unfortunately, I didnt find any difference. Possible that my calculation on the acetone used was way off mark (I had a ~half tank full and I calculated roughtly on the amount and poured acetone ).

got 16kmpl!!!

Let me try again, i have tanked up now. hope i get better results!
Old 11th February 2008, 23:46   #392
Senior - BHPian

driven for 300kms and I did notice that there a 'noticeable' difference in pull of the vehicle. No not on a drag race, but uphill. I have certain stretch of road that always had me going to 2nd gear to pull up, but now I can do it in 3rd (which was never possible earlier).

I am going to run for the whole tank and then refill and check the mileage.
Old 12th February 2008, 23:35   #393
BHPian

Hi all,

Vapourization of either petrol or diesel fully is the key to achieve power and FE from every drop of fuel.Petrol/Diesel is made up of more then 200 constituents each having different vapourization point.So every drop does not just vapourize before ignition.Even with latest injector designs its not possible due to different vapourization points.Hence some fuel doesnt take part into combustion process & is carried away in exhaust stroke.

Acetone works here.It improves vapourization aspect of fuels.It just makes combustion delayed or in other words those elements in fuel which vapourize faster & gives spikes of power are now burning at later stage when most of fuel components starts vapourising.This removes temp. spikes & we get efficient combustion where fuel burns fully hence less emission due to nil or very less unburnt fuels.Cylinder firing improves very much as there is no uneven pressure drops duel to uneven burning rate of fuel.

What we think of acetone about its cleaning property & so on as an industrial solvent has nothing to do with combustion aspect inside IC engine.Every IC engine needs it as it runs on either petrol or diesel.
Old 14th February 2008, 12:41   #394
BHPian

It has been almost a year and half that i have been using Acetone, till date i have only found benefits no side effects or any plastic parts dissolving. just cant drive with normal petrol anymore.
Old 14th February 2008, 13:46   #395

My advice to anyone contemplating the addition of acetone to petrol is DON'T, if you have a fuel injected car, Acetone will gradually eat away all the various plastic stuff that your in tank fuel pump assembly is composed of.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:11   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiaman View Post
My advice to anyone contemplating the addition of acetone to petrol is DON'T, if you have a fuel injected car, Acetone will gradually eat away all the various plastic stuff that your in tank fuel pump assembly is composed of.
Thanks for the word of advice, that is the misnomer that i am trying to clear. it hasnt effected my car at all, Also acetone is sold in plastic bottles.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:49   #397
Senior - BHPian

The ratio of acetone mixed in the fuel is so very less to affect the plastic anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiaman View Post
Old 14th February 2008, 17:07   #398
OEM
BHPian

Appropriately timed thread....

Happened to chance upon this thread...Sticky content. And appropriately timed. What after the babus in Delhi just hiked petrol by Rs.2/- and Diesel by Rs.1 /-

Now where the hell is that Palio MJD
Old 14th February 2008, 18:21   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
Happened to chance upon this thread...Sticky content. And appropriately timed. What after the babus in Delhi just hiked petrol by Rs.2/- and Diesel by Rs.1 /-

Now where the hell is that Palio MJD
we still got 6 more hours to tank up the hike is effective after midnight tomight
Old 19th February 2008, 00:57   #400
BHPian

Hey finetuning,
Just came across this thread and am thinking of doing this to my 98 Astra. I use normal saada petrol. Is it safe to do this to such a old car with old components? Also, am confused on how to go about doing this. Buy the acetone, but how do i add it to the petrol when i get it filled from the petrol pump???
Old 19th February 2008, 17:07   #401
BHPian

Hi Xehaust,

You can add acetone in the ratio of 2.5 ml & castrol super 2T in the ratio of 2 ml and xylene 2ml per liter. You can mix this before filling petrol.Can add directly from fuel lid.I m using acetone+xylene+2T since last 25K Km.No harm.
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:38   #402
Senior - BHPian

seems like I messed up on the ratio. Tanked up today (@ 52.86 Rs/Ltr) 33ltrs. Traveled 494.3kms - FE 14.98!!!

That is like &^%&^%&^%!!! Lowest FE so far!

Am going to run this tank without acetone and then check. Maybe by then, I will be ready for another round of testing.
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:14   #403
Senior - BHPian

i have finished one full bottle of acetone in my bike for testing purpose. i have refilled many times. that i feel and advice u people is dont try on ur cars. when i put acetone in my bike with a ratio of 2.5 ml in one litre my bike smells very differently. also i find an increased engine temp. the main thing is the drop in average. on pure petrol my bike turns out 60 plus KMPL and with acetone it gives 46-48 KMPL. it sucks big time. dont know what all damages it might have done on the inside. but for a old bike its not a big deal. but please dont risk your cars.
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:07   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i have finished one full bottle of acetone in my bike for testing purpose. i have refilled many times. that i feel and advice u people is dont try on ur cars. when i put acetone in my bike with a ratio of 2.5 ml in one litre my bike smells very differently. also i find an increased engine temp. the main thing is the drop in average. on pure petrol my bike turns out 60 plus KMPL and with acetone it gives 46-48 KMPL. it sucks big time. dont know what all damages it might have done on the inside. but for a old bike its not a big deal. but please dont risk your cars.
not that i use acetone nor will i , but man it is decarb ing your system , hence the big drop. Personally i would decarb before using it and change oil etc.
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:35   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
amit you have messed up on the ratio. I have read alot on acetone on internet after this thread and found that the best is to put 1.5 - 2 ml max per ltr. Also different bikes and different cars act differently to these ratios. I myself have used acetone in past and can vouch the effects but i am not using it on my car now, not because it had some adverse effects but as car has already traveled 90K km and i m not risking anything.

I change my engine oil and other necessary oils every 5K km even though service is every 10K km. And everytime i get oils changed the mechanic always says to me that oils are as good as new why are you changing it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks