Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 10:43   #316
Senior - BHPian

I read on one of those acetone sites, anything less than 2.5 ml/ltr and 1.5 ml/ltr for diesel is a waste and doesnt make any difference since the acetone/fuel mix is too low.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:08   #317
Senior - BHPian

Ok, here is what I do - I took a 5 ltr can and a funnel & went to my pump and asked the operator to pour 1 ltr of diesel in it. After that the routine is a sunder:

I fill 30 ltrs of normal diesel every 8-10 days. Before I fill the tank, I premix Acetone and 2 T oil in the can and shake it well. Reach the pump and empty the contects of the can in the tank & ask the operator to put exactly 1 ltr in the can and the rest 29 ltrs in the vehicle.

Not much of a hassle though. Entire exercise takes about 20 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
^ That's a good idea, I shall try to do it though it will be a bit of hassle to get the fuel in a can first, mix in the acetone and then pour it into the tank and then only commence to fill up the tank. But indeed that would lead to an even mixture.. Thanks for the tip though.

Btw, the fuel gauge needle seems to be going down quicker than before. I have a feeling FE is going down. I had just put 1.1 ml/litre. Is it one of those amounts that result in a drop of FE?

A

Last edited by gd1418 : 18th June 2007 at 14:09.
Old 18th June 2007, 15:15   #318
BHPian

20 mins?! damn, that's quite a ritual! (but then again, u ARE mixing 2T as well).

After thinking of how not to be a nuisance at petrol stations (not implying anything gd1418!), I came up with the following method for acetone mixing:

since I now fill up my tank from empty to full always, the night before the fill-up day I pre-measure out the required quantity of acetone (usually between 80 - 100 mL for 40 L of petrol) and put it in my 100 mL bottle that I've saved from before.

I also have a little aluminum (I think) funnel that I use at the station to pour in the contents of the acetone bottle RIGHT BEFORE the attendant starts filling the petrol. That's right, I DON'T premix any petrol with the acetone because in my experience, it really wasn't necessary. The filling up of the tank itself mixes the two quite well, as is evident in the engine afterwards.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:55   #319
BHPian

@ GD1418 Wooh 20 minutes.. I'm sure the other customers would be yelling at you to move your car unless you park it away from the pump while mixing up the acetone & 2t and then drive to the pump when time to refuel.

@ vezj420, thats also a good idea! I think injecting it prior to refuelling is a good idea and saves time.

A
Old 19th June 2007, 10:39   #320
BHPian

Today's another day.. My observation has been saying that the fe has gone down. Iam not racing the engine at all. I havent gone above 2,500 rpm, only 1 or 2 touches upto 3,000 rpm but not applying full throttle. But the fuel gauge seems to be going down faster.. Before, with Speed, I used to do about 130-140 km on a half tank and now just more than 40 km is over and its already in 3/4. I'm thinking is it because of the Unleaded fuel I used, because I've never used Unleaded fuel before, except one time on the highway where it was filled accidentally, and that time too the mileage went down. How does Ford NOT recommend fuels like Speed?

Is it possible to add acetone to Speed fuels?

A
Old 19th June 2007, 11:03   #321
Senior - BHPian

Time taken

Vez & Absar, you both got it wrong on the timing. When I said the entire operation takes 20 mins, I never did say that that I do this whole rigmarole at the petrol bunk.

I premix this concoction at my office and then drive to the bunk that is just 5 mins away. There i empty the can contents via funnel in the tank and refill the can with 1 ltr of diesel and the rest 29 ltrs in the tank. Sign the CC charge slip and drive away. time taken approx 20 minutes in total.

No other car owner at the petrol bunk waiting behind me has ever yelled till date....
Old 19th June 2007, 14:27   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Before, with Speed, I used to do about 130-140 km on a half tank and now just more than 40 km is over and its already in 3/4. I'm thinking is it because of the Unleaded fuel I used, because I've never used Unleaded fuel before, except one time on the highway where it was filled accidentally, and that time too the mileage went down. How does Ford NOT recommend fuels like Speed?

Is it possible to add acetone to Speed fuels?
A
Absar, something is wrong in ur approach...what is the ratio of acetone to fuel u're using? I also have the exact same car as u (Ikon 1.6 Nxt) and I've had FE jump UP considerably (read my previous posts if u're so inclined) using a ratio of between 2.0 and 2.5 mL acetone per liter petrol. Usually right around 2.25 mL per.

Are you mixing Speed with acetone? I'm thinking that's where the problem lies...I hate to say it, but if u're gonna use acetone in an Ikon 1.6, u'll have to use regular petrol. Either that, or use Speed by itself (this as Ford says, is not recommended - see below)

Speed is a higher octane fuel....meaning it is designed for vehicles with higher compression ratios. The Ikon 1.6, however, has among the lowest compression ratios for it's power output (8.7:1!). Therefore, it's recommended to use lower octane fuel (regular) in the Ikon...using Speed, you'd be wasting more fuel, believe it or not, even though u might get slightly higher mileage.

This is why I think your combining acetone with speed is actually detrimental to FE, rather than beneficial.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:44   #323
BHPian

^ I used 1.1 ml/litre. Nice to know that you also have the same car as me.

Iam not mixing up Speed. I'm mixing up Unleaded fuel. In fact this is the 2nd time in the car's life it's been fed with unleaded fuel. The first time was by a mistake on the highway where the fellow filled in Unleaded instead of Speed.

Do you think I should inject the remaining amount of acetone to the tank?
I.e.: I injected 1.1 ml/litre at refuel, that is 50 ml total.
As per your ratio of 2.5ml/litre, it would be 2.5x45=112.5 ml, So subtracting the two, 112.5-50(already injected)=62.5 ml, and the fuel tank gauge is reading 3/4, that makes it about 10 litres consumed, so minus 25ml (10x2.5) and so 62.5-25=37.5 ml...Should i inject this much of acetone again now to make it near the right ratio?

A
Old 19th June 2007, 18:49   #324
BHPian

Hi Absar,

I think 1.1 ml per ltr is too small amount for your car....try increasing it to 2.5 then come down....you can do so in next refill to avoid calculating remaining petrol in tank just by observing needle......

Enjoy....
Old 19th June 2007, 22:12   #325
BHPian

^ Hi finetuning! Okay I shall do 2.5 ml next time. I tried 1.1 ml because I saw in this thread that even adding as low as 0.8 ml will make a difference. It may not be enough for mileage difference perhaps.

Btw, i'm used to the needle of my car now, how it behaves. if i refuel when the fuel gauge is reading at red line, 30-31 litres of petrol go in. And if i refuel at between 2/4 and 3/4, 15 litres go in.

Will keep you all updated.

A

Last edited by Absar : 19th June 2007 at 22:15.
Old 19th June 2007, 23:49   #326
BHPian

hey, meant to answer sooner but was at office with boss around! so yeah, any ratio between 2.0 and 2.5 works for my Ikon 1.6 Nxt...try it!

PS I know what u mean about the fuel needle...lol, I've been pretty accurate at telling the amount myself! (like I'll tell the station attendant that so much should fill up, and they're usually surprised at how close I am!)
Old 20th June 2007, 12:30   #327
Team-BHP Support

I have decided to try Acetone in my bike since I wanted to see if it made a difference or not.

Finetuning, can you help me get the right measure and how do I try this out? I ride a 2005 Honda Unicorn and I already bought 200 ml of Acetone in pure form and a 10 ml syringe without the needle. How do I assume the quantity of petrol in my fuel tank? I want to try this with the perfect ratio please.

Thanks.
Kiran
Old 20th June 2007, 15:10   #328

Hello moralfibre! The recommended way to use the acetone in a proper way would be to fill up the tank full, and then inject like 2-2.5 ml/litre multiplied by the tank capacity of your bike.

Example: your tank capacity is 20 litres. So multiply 20 x 2 ml = 40 ml or 20 x 2.5 = 50 ml.

Hope its clear.

-Abdullah
Old 20th June 2007, 15:53   #329
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Abdullah but I wanted to know if there are alternatives rather than getting a full tank because my bike is often prone to petrol theft and I usually fill in Rs. 500 /- worth petrol. But I will do a full tank for the sake of trying this. I am too lazy to hunt down my manual now. Does anyone know the full tank capacity for the Unicorn?
Old 20th June 2007, 16:31   #330

Oh yeah you mean that way? No problem. Take your bike down to E, and then when do you 500 of petrol, you can add acetone for that much of petrol which has come for 500 rs.

Example: 500 rs of petrol gives about 10.5 litres. So you add acetone for 10.5 litres. That would be 10.5 x 2 = 21 ml of acetone to be added if you choose 2 ml/litre or 10.5 x 2.5 = 26.25 ml (round it to 26 ml) of acetone is to be added if you choose 2.5 ml of acetone.

I also have no idea about the tank capacity of the Unicorn.

-Abdullah

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks