Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 15:38   #421
BHPian

Rakowli, that's strange as I also have an Ikon and used to use acetone on every top-up without any fuel pump failure.

Now I only use it every other top-up or so, but have not faced any problems because of it.

However, be careful about using other fuel additives along with acetone also...Castrol Booster is for oil only right? Then it shouldn't be a problem. However, NEVER use acetone along with other fuel additives like System G, etc. It reacts quite badly with System G.

Also, it's better to use acetone with only regular unleaded and not with Speed petrol, as Speed already has some other additives which may react with acetone.
Old 1st July 2008, 15:52   #422
BHPian

Anyhow i never use speed petrol. OK just one more thing does ikon's fuel pump goes so early i am just suprised with this only 9000kms on ODO. Becoz petrol is flowing but very less not continuously so is it the problem with the pump or fuel filter.
Old 1st July 2008, 17:23   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
Also, it's better to use acetone with only regular unleaded and not with Speed petrol, as Speed already has some other additives which may react with acetone.
but turbosam has used acetone with SHELL Super petrol, he has got better results over just super petrol, will acetone not react adversely with additives in SHELL super petrol ???
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:47   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
FT I want to ask you that are there chance of fuel pump failure becoz of acetone. becoz my fuel pump failed on this Sunday and my car Ford Ikon is only 1.3 years old with only 9000kms on ODO. So are there chance becoz of Acetone or maybe becoz of Additive, Castrol Booster which i used to use sometimes. Also Acetone i never used for Every top-up. Becoz i drive only abt 15kms on average daily. So not much drive. But i like to performance after adding Acetone. But the problem is just a doubt.
Considering amount of acetone we add,just few ml per liter will not make any fuel pump go kaput. Infact fuel itself contains many acetone like stuff.Also castrol booster that you used to add has nothing to do with fuel pump.I think its mechanical/electrical failure of pump which is seen in many icons too.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:02   #425
BHPian

ok thanks FT its not becoz of Acetone. But the dirt in the fuel tank and fuel gauge going kaput.
I don't want to discuss other details about my car on this thread. So it ok. and thanks once again.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:32   #426
BHPian

hi f.t.

hi long time ..
just wanted to add one more success story.... 2.5 ml /lit in petrol in 45 yrs old jawa.... milage.... 43 kmpl... owner.. mr naidu og the classic jawa club.. distence covered... pune hydrabad pune ...

kudos to f.t..

Old 16th July 2008, 13:56   #427
BHPian

Hi TURBOSAM,

Its good news indeed.In todays ever increasing cost of petrol this simple yet effecitive method has great importance.

Enjoy.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:07   #428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
hey everyone,
still havnt gotten around to adding it. can someone please tell me whether i can add the acetone directly into the fuel tank. If no, then from where do i get loose petrol to make the mixture before adding???

Also, can i get my gearbox oil changed at any petrol pump? my gearbox has become way too rough. it almost feels like there is no lubrication.
Buddy,

Nowadays premium fuels have acetone content in them,

Its advisable not to try out any thing else apart from company's recomendations.

we are spending lacs on buying a car, guys lets respect our Machines man.

Would you get hooked to drugs to boost yourself, why do it on your dear Automobiles.

Let them run as recomended.
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:43   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PAVAN KADAM : Nowadays premium fuels have acetone content in them,.
Pavan, more information, pls. And the source too. Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:28   #430
BANNED

Condor bhai,

Some links found are as below.

SGGP English Edition- Contaminated Petrol Can Be Cleaned but Still Troublesome

SGGP English Edition- Acetone-Mixed Petrol Facts Brought to Light

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd July 2008 at 18:44.
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:54   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Pavan, thanks. The idea is : Quote the links too, along with the content.
Old 26th August 2008, 00:46   #432
BHPian

New experiment and finding about acetone..ofcourse regarding increasing FE & reducing emission.

This is interesting.

Article:Truth About Acetone and Ethanol - PESWiki

acetone

Yahoo! Groups

This shows something new that we never discussed.

Last edited by finetuning : 26th August 2008 at 00:56. Reason: addition
Old 18th September 2008, 15:27   #433

Acetone for Corolla

Hi ,

I am new to this group,just joined in.I went thru' the entire thread on acetone additions and found it very interesting. Well I have been using acetone on my car ( Corolla 05 top end) for the past four months,long before I joined the group.Hence no influence of anybody in the group.I am just reinforcing the fact that acetone additions do improve mileage and power. The former is a hard fact as I have data to back up while the latter could be a perception as I do not have systems to measure it.My base line for mileage was between 9.0 and 9.5 Kmpl(more closer to 9.5) on 100% city runs with premium grade fuel, usually Indian oil Xtra premium. I started with 1.5 ml per litre of petrol , the fuel used was Normal Petrol as the literature survey had mentioned that it was good enough. I could notice an immediate increase in power at the pedal,this was also confirmed by my driver eventhough I did not mention the change that was being done.As I had already mentioned ,this could be placebo effect, the next was the mileage which with the first tank fill had crossed 10.This egged me on to increase the dosage to 2.0 ml per litre. I did not even wait for it to stabilize but added 2.0 ml per litre and and found that the mileage increased to 10.4 .I continued this for a few tank full's. I even touched once 10.8 Kmpl ,but that was only once.This went on for a few months and the mileage of 10.3 to 10.5 was pretty much constant. Some times' I do travel 50 to 60 km out of the city, when I take care to deduct the long distance mileage out of the calculation(I get between 14 and 14.5 on long distances ).The lowest I have ever done with acetone added was 10.3 kmpl.
But greed never lets you go ,with info on the net talking about getting
even as high as 30 to 35% increase. I started adding 3ml per litre of petrol , the heavens broke loose my mileage plummeted to 8.5 and I continued this for two tank full's hoping it will increase, but still it was around the same region.Not wanting to lose anymore money I went back to 2.0ml and got 14.66 on a long distance run( chennai to Kumbakonam-282km one way).I stopped on the way back at Pondicherry, my usual fuel stop as fuel is 7 Rs cheaper than chennai( that is when I checked my mileage-14.66).I tanked up at Pondy had an idea , why not drop it down further to see if my vehicle optimises at lower acetone levels .added between 1.0 and1.5 ml per litre of petrol.I am approximating as I had to calculate what % was left in the tank and to make up for the rest.The pondy chennai run was 140 km and the first thing I did when I reached chennai was tank up and find out the mileage.It was 14.86 ,my highest ever.So decided to stick close to 1.0 ml and in the last two tankfulls I have been getting only 9.9 and 10.0 kmpl. little disappointed, but nevertheless more that my average without additive. I am now planning to increase dosage to 2.0ml ,it looks like that is the optimum for my vehicle .Will keep you guys informed.

On the economy front my average had moved up by 8 to 10% and in addition to that I use a lower grade of fuel.The savings is Rs 4 for the lower grade of petrol and maybe another 4 or 5 for the saving( fuel in chennai is Rs 55.07 for normal and Rs 59.07 for premium grade.

On the other two fronts adding xylene and PIB ,I am a Newbie.Can someone give suggestions.I would love to start my trials.

I am really impressed with the forum , I think it is important to have a lot of guys questioning every breakthrough achieved and also sets' people thinking of all the possible pitfalls that they may encounter later.

PS: when I said tankfull ,I meant top up and for the sceptics I am fully aware of what I am doing, known IC engines for many years, fully aware of the Conspiracy theory of Big Oil and also aware of the capability's of the Pogue Carburator.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:36   #434

More on acetone

Dear All,

Latest update on my Acetone trials .Distance travelled 194.6 km. petrol used 18.77 mileage 10.36 km pl.
One significant info is that the vehicle is able to go at lower speeds on higher gear ,for example on 5th gear I am now able go down to 45 kmph speed.I think this was not the case before, eventhough I am not too sure as I did not try it before.

Do you guys think it would run better if I add PIB.

Thanks
Old 26th September 2008, 19:31   #435
BHPian

Hi,

Its difficult to source pure PIB but indirectly available through engine oils.Most of oils contains it in varied %.best source is using few ml of 2T oils per ltrs of fuel.It will difinitely add to benefits like smoother running,better power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks