Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 00:06   #196
BHPian

Warnings!!!!! Moderators... Please Close This Thread...
Guys Out There ... Tried Out On My Crx... It Started Smoking White Smoke....
Pick Up Was Clearly Better. The Fe Dropped Drastically And The Engine Started Missing A Beat After A While... I Asked A Few Engineers And They All Seem To Be Against It.
All Of Them Say Its Way Too Dangerous To Use Acetone As It Actually Raises The Engine Temprature Too Dangerously. So Do It At Your Own Risk ... If You Want Your Pistons To Blow Up Ver Very Soon
Old 4th October 2006, 00:12   #197
BHPian

Dragster,

Can you tell us the ratio that you used for this?

Thanks,
-P.
Old 4th October 2006, 00:42   #198
BANNED

What were the readings on your temperature guage? Is anyone else facing this issue?
Old 4th October 2006, 09:49   #199
BHPian

have been using it on my old kinetic honda and new fiesta1.6 for the past few months no probs of any kind by the way the engine is running smoother and even the emission has come down recently had puc done for my kiney
Old 4th October 2006, 17:19   #200
BHPian

I had been using acetone without any such trouble infact it reduced emission....reduction in emission is the added benefit apart from better performance & FE...............now about FE part....if amount of acetone is higher then it reduces the FE.............so one need to find correct ratio for his car that doesnt drop FE........those who tried successfully had taken pain of changing the ratio & observing patiently the outcome.........the key to get full benefit is to find correct ratio which only comes after certain experiment..... slight more or less amount makes much difference as per my experience.....also when one starts using this it takes at least 2 to 3 tankful with right amount to give FE benefits...........

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm.....................

Enjoy....
Old 5th October 2006, 09:07   #201
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I beg to differ. Please explain in detail as to how you prepared the mixture and added to the tank. I've been using it in my diesel Safari 1998 for the last several months. My observation - smooth purr, better FE, much less smoke, better pik-up and a little bit reduced temp.

My earlier threads on the above here will vouch for that. And, btw, if this has not worked for you, then why close this thread? On a comparitive scale the number of people who have reportedly benefitted from adding acetone far outnumber the ones who have not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team dragstar
Warnings!!!!! Moderators... Please Close This Thread...
Guys Out There ... Tried Out On My Crx... It Started Smoking White Smoke....
Pick Up Was Clearly Better. The Fe Dropped Drastically And The Engine Started Missing A Beat After A While... I Asked A Few Engineers And They All Seem To Be Against It.
All Of Them Say Its Way Too Dangerous To Use Acetone As It Actually Raises The Engine Temprature Too Dangerously. So Do It At Your Own Risk ... If You Want Your Pistons To Blow Up Ver Very Soon
Old 5th October 2006, 15:02   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

with possibly the only instance of such extreme behaviour, the focus would be on what happened in TD's specific case.
Old 8th October 2006, 10:38   #203

I too find acetone very beneficial, and its makes my old Bajaj Caliber run around like a champ, so much that I plan to start using acetone on the 2002 model M800, after getting a thru checkup of the bike.

it would helpful if TD could post more details than suggest closing such a useful thread..
Old 10th October 2006, 09:47   #204
BHPian

I would'nt want to rock the Acetone boat but please go through this extract from Bloomberb website :

"Oct. 10 (Bloomberg) -- PT Pertamina, Indonesia's state oil company, invited offers to supply 400,000 barrels of acetone- free gasoline in two cargoes for November, said two traders who received the tender document.
The refiner wants to take delivery of a 200,000-barrel cargo of 88-RON gasoline free-on-board Singapore between Nov. 1 and Nov. 3. It's also seeking to take delivery of a second cargo of the same size and specification cost-and-freight in Surabaya between Nov. 6 and Nov. 8.
Pertamina asked potential sellers to supply gasoline that is free of acetone, an octane-boosting chemical that damaged autos and motorbikes in Vietnam last month. "

Folks...I would never try acetone unless advocated by the Auto industry.
Old 10th October 2006, 10:10   #205
BANNED

Would be interesting to know what kind of damage to bikes and autos they're talking about...
Old 10th October 2006, 10:19   #206
BHPian

Yeah..it would be interesting to know how and why....but my point is why take the chance when your car costs so much? You may lose much much more than you gain.
Old 15th October 2006, 10:11   #207
BHPian

Nice informative article

Nice informative article her. I followed all pages. I will try this thing with my AVEO 1.4LS soon and let you all know.
Thanks
Old 15th October 2006, 13:56   #208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
Yeah..it would be interesting to know how and why....but my point is why take the chance when your car costs so much? You may lose much much more than you gain.
It's interesting because it doesn't involve my car

Personally, I'm waiting for the long term reports before I consider using acetone.
Old 15th October 2006, 14:46   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
I would'nt want to rock the Acetone boat but please go through this extract from Bloomberb website :

"Oct. 10 (Bloomberg) -- PT Pertamina, Indonesia's state oil company, invited offers to supply 400,000 barrels of acetone- free gasoline in two cargoes for November, said two traders who received the tender document.
The refiner wants to take delivery of a 200,000-barrel cargo of 88-RON gasoline free-on-board Singapore between Nov. 1 and Nov. 3. It's also seeking to take delivery of a second cargo of the same size and specification cost-and-freight in Surabaya between Nov. 6 and Nov. 8.
Pertamina asked potential sellers to supply gasoline that is free of acetone, an octane-boosting chemical that damaged autos and motorbikes in Vietnam last month. "

Folks...I would never try acetone unless advocated by the Auto industry.
If we beleive The main proponent of this theory Louise Lapointe then its his direct experienc using this stuff since last 25 years & more......this is more then long term report I think.....remember its only used with required amount........its so tiny yet so beneficial..........this is something called chemistry of fuels...........not much research has been done on this compared to mechanical aspect of vehicle.........if we read his website carefully then we can make conclusion that his approach is totally scientific with a lot of research work......those asking for patent must consider that there are research done without patent too..........patent is nothing but retention of intellectual property rights....there are certain people whose work affect millions without any commercial gain......

Now as per his theory acetone improves vapourisation of fuel particles......I dont think acetones cleaning ability has any major effect with the kind of gain we are getting........it directly improves combustion aspect..........

Many many people riding many different vehicle get same added benefits....I has seen almost all kinds of vehicle getting benefited...but after all its an experiment & nobody wants to go wrong.........

There is very good success stories using this stuff in Indica cab.......FE gain in long term coupled with reduced emission & improvement in power can not be ignored.....

Enjoy.......

Last edited by finetuning : 15th October 2006 at 14:48.
Old 4th January 2007, 22:08   #210
BHPian

Acetone in an Ikon 1.6!

I know no one's looked at this thread for a few months, but thought I might as well add my experience thus far with acetone in my '03 Ikon 1.6.

I just started using the stuff today, at a ratio of 1 ml acetone per liter of fuel (regular unleaded). I topped off the tank today with 40 liters of fuel and put about 50 ml of acetone (10 ml extra for reserve and/or spillage). Now, I only used 1 ml per liter as a safety precaution to avoid overdoing it.

Result?

I was pretty impressed with the immediate increase in throttle response. Now I'm aware of 'placebo' effects with these kinds of things....but this difference was too obvious not to notice! Quicker acceleration, esp. in 1st and 2nd gears, was evident from the start.

Be aware that I said acetone helps throttle response, but doesn't add power to the engine....just helps it function closer to its peak condition.

Besides that, the engine does feel smoother...upshifting now glides the car along instead of that initial 'jerk' felt when shifting to a higher gear and accelerating. However, low speed 'knocking', esp. in start and stop traffic, was not eliminated. Maybe grooving for that, eh?

Give me a week or so's time and I'll report back with FE figures.

Mind you all the above was with just 1 ml per liter, half that of what finetuning initially tried and recommended. I only had a small bottle of acetone and hence didn't want to use up all of it at once, on top of being cautious. I may try the recommended 2 ml per liter after a while and see what difference that would make.

However, anyone know where I can get BIG bottles of pure acetone? I got this small dinky bottle from a pharmacy (pure) and it's already almost half over with just the first fill up....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks