Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2006, 13:39   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania
and yeah finetuning your theory about using lab experiments as a subsitute to our five senses is truly funny !! lol!!
i mean you are trying to say that you would be a guinea pig for a new medicine that has not had any kind of lab testing before you pop that pill!! that would just be outrihgt stupidity!!
Dear Speedomania,

Good debate going on.....My point was that If its a pacebo effect then how come ppl form all different part across the world riding so many different vehicles get the same effect?.....it cant be placebo effect......come on...we all are not that much dull to join any band wagon...also improvement in anyones car or bike is best judged by that person only who constantly drives his vehicle.....so if ppl say they find considerable difference in performance...smoothness......its so good fo us...isnt it?.....

I found very good improvement in my scooty pep which is only a year old with barely 4k driven.....earlier it was giving nearly 40....but now easily gives 45+ with such a good acceleration .......my car too gave 10%more mileage when driven with petrol with excellent performance ..this are real facts....

So keep checking...trying......no personal interest for me promoting anything....I m here to share and pass on benefit......so before debating why not just try it?If u think this as a pill without lab testing then I make u sure that ur engine wiill not die of such small dose......I too passed on from same situation u r right now....so keep upgrading knowledge....

Enjoy.......
Old 26th May 2006, 13:42   #92
aZa
Senior - BHPian

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

This link should clear the air around this topic
Old 26th May 2006, 14:58   #93
BHPian

Hello guys,
I would like to add a few thoughts to this interesting discussion, which can be best put in a question-answer form as follows:
1. Have you tried acetone? For how long? What did you notice?
Yes. Added acetone to the tank 5 days back. Noticed an “engine smoothness”, which could not be obtained with my regular intake of petrol + System G. No idea whether this smoothness will continue. Not interested in checking whether I have better fuel efficiency (reason will be clear later).
2. What is the possible reason for the working of Acetone?
It is a very good cleaning agent. It will definitely remove some muck it encounters in the fuel line. However, it is the cleaning of the injector/carburetor, which can lead to observable differences in the running of the engine. Acetone seems to do a better job than System G in this department.
2. What are the other additives/petrols you have tried? What was the result?
My car performed less with an extended use of “Speed”, and the mileage also went down. It even stalled at idle when I used “Speed 93”. However Shell normal petrol + system G seems to work alright. These are my observations over about a 2 year period.
3. Are your observations psychological?
Don’t think so. I used “Speed” and “Speed 93” with great expectations, but it didn’t work out. So what is psychological here? Someone who knows his vehicle well can also say when it runs well, and when it doesn’t. At least I can. I have no idea why “Speed” didn’t work well for me, but I don’t want to speculate.
4. Do you endorse the use of Acetone, on the basis of the smoother running of your engine?
Well, Er.. I don’t know!! I work in experimental physics, and used Acetone for the first time way back in 1991. (For scientists: it is an excellent medium for producing Stimulated Raman Scattering). Acetone can eat through some plastics. Who knows it won’t affect the fuel line?
5. But you are adding only less than 1% of acetone into the petrol..
True, but why take a chance? The fuel line of a car is made for Petrol, not acetone. As long as I don’t know the reactivity of the components and materials in the fuel line of MY car with that 1% Acetone, it is better to keep away. This is not a risk that is worth taking.
6. But there are many experts in the internet promoting the use of Acetone..
There is an equal number of “experts” against Acetone too. Many of these guys have no idea what they are talking about.
7. I can’t take a decision still..
In that case, go and meet your good old Chemistry professor from college/university. Explain to him that the fuel line of his car may contain some plastic and/or rubber parts. Don’t forget to mention that depending on the make of the car, his fuel pump also may be located in the fuel tank. Tell him that he may get 20% increase in mileage if he adds 1% acetone to petrol. Encourage him by telling that modern cars may be using fuel lines made of materials that are resistant to acetone. See what he says.

Honestly I don’t know what he will say, but in all fairness, I think he will hesitate.
Anyways, I will NOT add acetone to petrol in my car on a regular basis. Will I do it once in 6 months? Maybe, at the lowest dose recommended by Acetone fans..
Hope this helps some of you confused guys..thanks for reading.
Cheers
reji
Old 26th May 2006, 15:43   #94
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipreji
Hello guys, [...]
2. What are the other additives/petrols you have tried? What was the result?
My car performed less with an extended use of “Speed”, and the mileage also went down. It even stalled at idle when I used “Speed 93”. However Shell normal petrol + system G seems to work alright. These are my observations over about a 2 year period.
3. Are your observations psychological?
Don’t think so. I used “Speed” and “Speed 93” with great expectations, but it didn’t work out. So what is psychological here? Someone who knows his vehicle well can also say when it runs well, and when it doesn’t. At least I can. I have no idea why “Speed” didn’t work well for me, but I don’t want to speculate.
[...]
reji
As for why Speed didn't work, I too don't have any idea. Looked at the following link:
http://www.fuelsaving.info/fuels.htm
This site has some good info on when premium fuels should be used. Pertaining to your problem with Speed, this site has the following, somewhat terse comment:

"One common misunderstanding is that using a higher than intended octane fuel is actually bad for performance and economy, because it "is too hard to burn" or "burns too slowly". In fact this is wrong; unless the ignition system is extemely marginal, using high-octane fuel in an engine designed for low octane should not cause any problems."

So one possibility is that maybe you should get your ignition system checked. My old Santro ZipDrive does well on unleaded, Speed, Speed 93 and Speed 97, although I have no idea which is the best. I use normal Speed most of the time. Sometimes I try Speed 93 or Speed 97 when I am in Mumbai. but haven't monitored the difference, if any.
Regards, rks
Old 26th May 2006, 15:44   #95
BHPian

its simple really.......
if you prize your car as something u just dont want to take a chance with ...dont use acetone or whatever.
if you think u got nothing to lose with ur car....or if its within acceptable risk....pls do use it by all means.
i for sure would agree with the general opinion that playing about with expensive cars with agents not endorsed by the company or by any expert whomsoever is just equivalent to giving an unknown drug to your child....
small amounts of cocaine or herione does make one feel really great...but not in the long run....
Old 26th May 2006, 16:12   #96
BHPian

hey finetuning ! no offence meant but i still dont agree with the "wont kill your engine " i'm sure it wont but as lemon said cocaine and heroine make u feel really great but it aint good for you for sure !! also you expect why the placebo effect doesn't come into play in the case of speed is that it can actually have a negative effect instead of positive or even no effect when used for the first few times!!
anyways its your ride so you get to decide!!
well as goes for trying it i might try it on my old 800 which has just been parked in the driveway as it cant be sold due to a court case so i shall make it the giunea pig as i have nothing to loose there!!
lets see if it can make me at least believe that it works only if im convinced will i do my field work on wether its harmful or not!
Old 26th May 2006, 18:16   #97
BHPian

can it be used for motorbikes as for cars???
Old 26th May 2006, 18:21   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks

"One common misunderstanding is that using a higher than intended octane fuel is actually bad for performance and economy, because it "is too hard to burn" or "burns too slowly". In fact this is wrong; unless the ignition system is extemely marginal, using high-octane fuel in an engine designed for low octane should not cause any problems."
Dear rks,

To the best of my knowledge "Speed" is 87 octane, with additives that keep the injectors clean. The trouble with Speed 93 probably occured because the ECU somehow didn't adjust the ignition timing to the higher octane (I can't find another reason!). I could sense a distinct lack of power when Speed 93 was used. Both were filled in from the same "pure for sure" BP pump. And I could sense an immediate increase in performance when I switched to Shell Normal from Speed. Now I use Shell Normal + System G, and the car runs fine.
Perhaps the particular BP pump is the culprit..I don't know. I haven't seen any other symptoms of an ignition system problem so far.
cheers
reji
Old 27th May 2006, 15:59   #99
BHPian

Naptha In Petrol

Havent we all atleast once encountered adulterated petrol in ours cars.
the most common adulteration is Naphta. Now i aint no chemical enginner, but isnt naptha in petrol Bad for my car? & most certainly these petrol pump guys add in a quantity of more that 2ml / litre (Acetone ratio).
So whats a greater worry, acetone or bad petrol?
Old 27th May 2006, 17:21   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but as lemon said cocaine and heroine make u feel really great but it aint good for you for sure !!
I don't know about the cocaine but I know of heroines who will probabaly make you feel great and are good for you too!!
Just joking!
Old 28th May 2006, 01:30   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay
Havent we all atleast once encountered adulterated petrol in ours cars.
the most common adulteration is Naphta. Now i aint no chemical enginner, but isnt naptha in petrol Bad for my car? & most certainly these petrol pump guys add in a quantity of more that 2ml / litre (Acetone ratio).
So whats a greater worry, acetone or bad petrol?
hey dude im sure naptha in your fuel is bad and we all have had bad experiences having got bad fuel!!but my point is would have you ever gone back to a pump that sold you bad fuel!! i.e. would you ever conciously get bad fuel for your car!!??
im sure bad fuel's a greater worry but creating your own worse fuel out of the already bad fuel is the greatest stupidity!!;-)!lol
Old 28th May 2006, 02:03   #102
BHPian

Quote:
hey dude im sure naptha in your fuel is bad and we all have had bad experiences having got bad fuel!!but my point is would have you ever gone back to a pump that sold you bad fuel!! i.e. would you ever conciously get bad fuel for your car!!??
im sure bad fuel's a greater worry but creating your own worse fuel out of the already bad fuel is the greatest stupidity!!;-)!lol
SppedOmania, let me stand corrected on the same, i am very picky on where i tank up and thats at 3 places in bombay, The shell pump at bandra, the lotus pump ( Both are pure for sure) & the hp on turner road junction (CO&O pump) . all these three pumps have been know to dish out the best quality petrol.
What i am trying to convey, is that a lot of pumps are know to mix naptha. and at some point we all must have filled bad petrol. Unfortunately there is no surefire way to know the quality of fuel that we buy, with petrol pump owners getting a payout of less than a rupee per litre as commision, lots have known to sell adulterated stuff.
My argument was that how detrimental is acetone (0.002 %) Versus god alone knows what proportion of adultration we might encounter....
I am on my second tankfull of acetone, till date everything seems ok. yes i too was skeptical, but am keeping my fingers croosed.
Old 28th May 2006, 02:17   #103
BHPian

good to hear that alls going well i hope it stays that way! best of luck bro!!
and by the way all pumps are checked regularly and all the adultration happens in the .6% (i think ) error allowed !! i heard that straight from the horses mouth (petrol pump owner)!!
btw what do you notice and on which car??
Old 28th May 2006, 02:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:
good to hear that alls going well i hope it stays that way! best of luck bro!!
and by the way all pumps are checked regularly and all the adultration happens in the .6% (i think ) error allowed !! i heard that straight from the horses mouth (petrol pump owner)!!
btw what do you notice and on which car??
I have a zen vxi, i have noticed 2 major differences & i tired nearly every kind of petrol additive from STP to system g, an at times even filled 97 octane.
but with just 2ml of acetone per litre
1) when i pull in 1st gear the power flow is very smooth and the car is much more peppier.
2) when i switch the ac on there is a very little drop in power.
I have installed an RPM meter & there has been no difference in the idling rpm after adding acetone.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 28th May 2006 at 02:29.
Old 28th May 2006, 02:31   #105

Hello!

I tried it with the xing ......the car runs smoother and am also getting a better F.E..was a little bit shaky to try it on the xing first, so did it with my old esteem...engine vibration has reduced and also the gear shift are smoother without the jerks....i suggest you try it out....but one thing i noticed that, it doesnt work out that well when ure tanks not upped...I.e if u add acetone when ure tanks let say maybe 200 bucks worth of fuel..it does not do good, in fact it burns fuel preety fast....im not able to figure this out...lemme know whats ure experience.....sorry fo the delayed reply

See ya !!

Most Viewed