Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 07:24   #31
BHPian

re: Renault Duster: Water leakage on the floor carpet. EDIT, now Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Terribly sorry to hear about your ordeal Woodcrawler.

After reading, this I refrained from using a hose pipe to wash my Duster this weekend.
Today while stumbling to put the rear middle seat belt, I found a heavy small packet of some bolts, perhaps wheel bolts.

Honestly, I have written to Renault regarding a small issue and till now I have not heard any ecouraging words from Renault India.

Let us know when you hear about the exact issue from SC.
Thank you for your words of support, acroback. You experience reinforces my opinion about the QC in Renault. I guess they have put a team together in a hurry and most chaps don't know what they are doing. They probably don't use a check list to carry spares or fit them!

In fact in my car I had two service manuals, one in which the guy tore off the PDI slip in front of me and another which had the PDI slip intact but had no 1st Service coupon!

I'm still waiting for a reply to my email sent almost two weeks ago! Renault is too lethargic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I suggest you sit inside the car and have somebody hose it down properly. See if it seeps in.

Also, as somone suggested, run the AC for around 20-30 min on the lowest possible temperature in recirculation mode.

Start from the outside, movin towards the inside of the car. Try this before having them tear up the carpets and dashboard. The main reason I'm suggesting is because once they put things back, you may start having annoying rattles, poor fit etc.
Thanks Taseem. I am not keen on having them tear up the carpets anyway. The major flooding happened after a wash. I am going to do what you said. Hose down with someone inside. The A/C itself seems to be OK. There is no further problem after they drained water from, presumably the scuttle panel. They wanted to dismantle the dash board just to be sure.
I'll decide after my wash. I have an appointment for the 18th so it gives me ample time to test for leaks.

Rajesh
Old 10th December 2012, 13:42   #32
BHPian

I just got a reply from Renault, not for the mail sent to their email ID shown on the website but for a message posted on their Facebook Page. Here is a screen shot of that reply to my post

I guess networking sites have their benefits
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster: Water leakage on the floor carpet. EDIT, now Solved!-fb-reply.jpg  

Old 10th December 2012, 15:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
I am starting this thread because I see more and more Duster owners facing the unusual problem of water seepage inside the passenger compartment. There are a few posts on this issue but they are lost in the ‘traffic’! I thought it is a significantly serious issue that warrants its own thread.

Caption for photos:
1 - Water in the rear passenger area
2 - Mist of water under the transparent plastic mat
3 - )'Press test 1'
4 - 'Press test 2' showing wet finger!
5 & 6 - The hump under the front seat
Water stagnates in the floor of the Duster for 2 reasons.
1) Improperly manufactured/ aligned blower unit which prevents the A/c condensation water from draining out.
2) Blocked scuttle panel.
How do I know this? I have the dubious distinction of experiencing both these problems first hand.
Both can be easily solved, but it sure does dampen the new car spirit and it is in no way an indicator of bad things to expect from the Duster. The Duster is a wonderful piece of technology wonderfully designed but poorly/inefficiently packaged in our Chennai plant-call it teething troubles and console yourselves.
1) A/c Condensation seepage - Unlike older generation cars, there is no specific drain pipe for the condensation water to flow outside the car. The condensation unit and the blower unit has to be in perfect alignment for the water to drain smoothly outside.In my case, the blower unit was misaligned by 1 mm to the left and hence water started to seep in from the right side of the gear shaft. This seepage happens in all seasons and rainfall independent.
Solution- Remove the dash board, remove the blower unit and re-align it.
Repair Time - 3 hours maximum. Can be done only by company personnel.
2) Blocked Scuttle panel-First of all a big thank you to rigid rotor for making me aware of the term "scuttle panel" Never knew what to call that before
This happened to me only during rains and I had the sinking feeling that my blower unit was misaligned again. Thankfully, before I could use my full range of expletive vocabulary on the SA and renault in particular and the whole world in general, they solved te issue pronto.
Solution- Remove the black plastic assembly covering the water run-off area just below the bonnet, underneath the windshield and check for debris, falling leaves or in my case coconut tree husks. This accumulates on both the right and the left side. Remove the debris periodically and you should be good to go. covered car parking helps a lot.
Repair time - 1 hour. Iam sure this can be a useful DIY. I have asked my SA to teach me how to remove the plastic assembly. Iam sure it is not that difficult.

The Bitter aftertaste and YOGA(or whatever works for you)
As can be seen, arresting the leak or seepage takes up only 3 hours maximum.
Remove driver seat and navigator seat and floor mats - 4 hours
The drying process takes upto to 3 days, weather permitting.
The stink in the car 15 days.
The stink in your mind - this is where the YOGA comes in.

The problem with these kind of issues cropping up is that it seriously compromises your new car driving experience by the second that is spent inside. Let's be honest-who would like the smell of fermenting rotten eggs inside their new car which refuses to leave despite your most expensive perfume?
So relax - Take a deep breath(outside the car of course) and corner your SA into solving this seepage problem and go forth and conquer the world in your new Duster. This is exactly what Iam doing.
Cheers
Neil Roy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 17:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Water stagnates in the floor of the Duster for 2 reasons.
1) Improperly manufactured/ aligned blower unit which prevents the A/c condensation water from draining out.
2) Blocked scuttle panel.
How do I know this? I have the dubious distinction of experiencing both these problems first hand.
Both can be easily solved, but it sure does dampen the new car spirit and it is in no way an indicator of bad things to expect from the Duster. The Duster is a wonderful piece of technology wonderfully designed but poorly/inefficiently packaged in our Chennai plant-call it teething troubles and console yourselves.

The Bitter aftertaste and YOGA(or whatever works for you)
.......... Let's be honest-who would like the smell of fermenting rotten eggs inside their new car which refuses to leave despite your most expensive perfume?
So relax - Take a deep breath(outside the car of course) and corner your SA into solving this seepage problem and go forth and conquer the world in your new Duster. This is exactly what Iam doing.
Cheers
Thank you Neil for putting things so lucidly. You could become Neil 'Baba' for Duster owners

Just after I read your message, I went back to FB. I had another message waiting, asking for my phone number. I guess if you hit them on the right spot they'll respond (see the last post).

The guys in Coimbatore wanted to keep the car for 4 days mostly for drying and cleaning my carpet. I'm afraid if they strip the carpet it will not be replaced exactly as it was in a new car, but I wonder what choice I have. I'm embarrassed to ask anyone to get into the car now because of the stink. I run ahead open the windows, run the A/C full blast, spray a perfume before anyone comes near the car!

I'm due to hose down the car this evening with my son inside. If there is any further leak I guess the 'scuttle panel' was not the only problem. The A/C itself is alright since I've been using the Duster full time after they drained the water and so far there is no additional seepage in the front. The only dampness in the front is from what is left over.

There is an increasing list of disappointed Duster owners evidenced by the comments I see on a group in FB. You could also add your 'gyan' to benefit us, lesser mortals!

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh
Old 12th December 2012, 12:21   #35
BHPian

LEAK UPDATE

Washed the car yesterday evening with my son inside it. No immediate leaks detected but the front passenger area mats are wet a few hours later. I'm at my wits end.

Hope the service guys can solve the problem when I leave it with them on 18th
Old 12th December 2012, 13:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
LEAK UPDATE

Washed the car yesterday evening with my son inside it. No immediate leaks detected but the front passenger area mats are wet a few hours later. I'm at my wits end.

This suggests that water gets logged somewhere and then gradually seeps into the cabin.

I think you should start looking in our car for place where water gets logged. Area between bonnet and windshield could be it. It is pretty deep to be called French channel.

I clean it weekly to remove leaves, feathers and other minor debris. Can be a culprit.
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 13:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
LEAK UPDATE

a line of thought - do investigate - check if water runs along the beading, and then drips inside, right into the matting. see if the beading has a cut/ holes/ joint near the bottom which may aid this.
Also, since you washed it yesterday, do see if the insides of the beading are wet. Otherwise, the issue rests elsewhere
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 17:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
This suggests that water gets logged somewhere and then gradually seeps into the cabin.

I think you should start looking in our car for place where water gets logged. Area between bonnet and windshield could be it. It is pretty deep to be called French channel.

I clean it weekly to remove leaves, feathers and other minor debris. Can be a culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
a line of thought - do investigate - check if water runs along the beading, and then drips inside, right into the matting. see if the beading has a cut/ holes/ joint near the bottom which may aid this.
Also, since you washed it yesterday, do see if the insides of the beading are wet. Otherwise, the issue rests elsewhere
Thanks acroback. I believe the service guys drained some water from the area you mentioned, called scuttle panel in Renault parlance. I waited a week for the old dampness to go and washed the car. Now the problem is only there in the front.

Thanks latentpotential. The loose beading I have is on the left rear door, not in the front. Water accumulates actually towards the center. In fact the carpet area near the door is practically dry though the central half is wet. Sunilrj was mentioning about some extra holes, because the Duster comes in RH & LH version, on the side of the transmission tunnel. I think I'll have to get the guys to strip the carpet an look for that. Seems like a possibility as the dampness now is confined to the carpet on either side of the gear lever mainly and extending outwards.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
was mentioning about some extra holes, because the Duster comes in RH & LH version, on the side of the transmission tunnel. I think I'll have to get the guys to strip the carpet an look for that. Seems like a possibility as the dampness now is confined to the carpet on either side of the gear lever mainly and extending outwards.
Well Check this link out - my Travails with a Leaky Linea: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1400280

Also Seems Like the Cowl (Scuttle Panel in Renault Terms) has an issue in quite a few dusters. Leaves etc block the drain as a result of which the water drips inside - Now to Find the Source of the Dripping Water Check the Cowl for any Opening - Gromats Etc which could let the water in and seal them using a silicon Sealant. Had a Similar Issue in my Scorpio, where leaves used to accumulate inside the cowl and then get sucked into the Blower when the A/c was put on Fresh Air Mode. The only way to prevent the leaves from getting there was to wrap the underside of the cowl cover / Grill with the Black Plastic Mosquito Screen (NETLON)

Last edited by Sunilrj : 12th December 2012 at 17:17.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 17:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Well Check this link out - my Travails with a Leaky Linea: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1400280

.........The only way to prevent the leaves from getting there was to wrap the underside of the cowl cover / Grill with the Black Plastic Mosquito Screen (NETLON)
Thanks Sunil,
That was an interesting read on the Linea. Mercifully my Punto hasn't leaked in the three years I have had it. The indicators on the fender fell off on both sides within a week of getting the car. A week later, pasenger side window got stuck after opening (relay gone), and two years later my USB port stopped working. The latest issue is after I dunked my remote key in the washing machine. But I love that car. I'm only trying to determine if the Multijet or K9 is better. So far the K9 is ahead!

The Netlon idea is good. I'll suggest it to the service guys but I wonder if it will work in the Duster.
Old 12th December 2012, 18:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sunil,
That was an interesting read on the Linea. Mercifully my Punto hasn't leaked in the three years I have had it. The indicators on the fender fell off on both sides within a week of getting the car. A week later, pasenger side window got stuck after opening (relay gone), and two years later my USB port stopped working. The latest issue is after I dunked my remote key in the washing machine. But I love that car. I'm only trying to determine if the Multijet or K9 is better. So far the K9 is ahead!

The Netlon idea is good. I'll suggest it to the service guys but I wonder if it will work in the Duster.
My Indicators also fell off in the first month. The Locking Mechanism of the Indicator Housing used to get broken, until a tinker at the A.S.S. got a brilliant Idea. We purchased a new set of Indicators and Re-inforced the locking Clips with hot welding rods which got embedded into the Locks!

I had the car for 30 Months until the parts on order started getting delayed and a Housing mechanism of the Power steering pulley was stated to be not available. The Netlon Idea has been used extensively for quite a few cars around here which had this problem of dried leaves choking the cowl drains or seeds / dry leaves/ twigs entering the A/c System. The Netlon Insect screen is permanently fixed to the Cowl Grilles either using aluminium Push Buttons normally found in baby dresses or using araldite or similar adhesives
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 21:57   #42
BHPian

I too had drips of water in my i10 occasionally for the past few years. But, not of any serious level.Hence, it never occurred to me to complain it in any of the services. Only after reading this thread I feel I have to bring it to the notice of SA.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:23   #43
BHPian

UPDATE:
The Duster has been sent for a complete check today. The Coimbatore service center wants four days to sort out the issue. I will update about the resolution (or otherwise) of the problem as soon as I get the car back.

It is definitely the scuttle panel since the water leaks recurred twice again; each time after a wash.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:15   #44
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:
The Duster has been sent for a complete check today. The Coimbatore service center wants four days to sort out the issue. I will update about the resolution (or otherwise) of the problem as soon as I get the car back.

It is definitely the scuttle panel since the water leaks recurred twice again; each time after a wash.
Did you get your car back from service center? Is the issue resolved?
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 17:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Did you get your car back from service center? Is the issue resolved?
Sorry about the delay in replying mxx, I was on a short holiday. I had left the car with them on 18th December with an expected delivery on 20th. They called on 20th saying that the problem was with the A/C condensation drainage so they had to strip the carpets and dash board. I finally got the car picked up on 24th December (while I still was on my holiday). They had washed the car before delivery but it appears that no fresh leakage has happened. I got back on 25th night and have been using the car over the last two days. The stink is settling down to bearable levels though it is still persisting. There has been no condensation under the mats so I assume most of the water has evaporated .

I will wash it this weekend. I was waiting for the next wash to update further. I'll keep you posted. For now, it seems the issue is settled, though Renault Coimbatore still insists that the problem was the A/C
woodcrawler is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks