Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 13:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Vibrations harshness problems persist after even shocks change

Hi,
As per your description, I think the noise in steering turning is from your shock spring. The coil spring also turns and can make similar sound.please get it checked.
abhijitl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 14:23   #77
BHPian

Rudra Sir and Abhijit , Both are right.

The best way to find out which one could be the culprit is by having the car lift up and then check the drive shaft boot under both the front wheels. See the picture for reference.
Picture source - google.
Check for any oil leakage from the drive shaft boot. If leakage found, then replace drive shaft, if not, then have the shocks tested specifically looking at any bearing fault.

Get well soon wishes to your Lancer
Attached Images

Accent Martin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 19:47   #78
BANNED

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2014 at 12:36.
rajivanoj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th September 2014, 19:59   #79
BHPian

No. You will need to remove the strut and lubricate the bearing and the kit properly. I think that will help.
abhijitl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:13   #80
BHPian

Chevy Spark: 29k kms and excessive vibrations

i have a chevy spark which has done just 29000 kms in 5 years time and has solely been driven by me. Reason for clocking such a low number in 5 years is because i also have Ritz diesel which has done 43000 kms in 3 years. However, more on that later. Last week i decided to take chevy to Agra which is just 185 kms from my place in delhi. However, i encountered the following problems on my way
1. There is excessive vibration in the car. One can gauge the extent by the fact that both my kids were puking every now and then. let me clarify that AC was on all the while. The same does not happen when they travel in my Diesel Ritz.
2. While driving at the speed on 80KMPH, i am feeling as if all the patchwork on the road was directly getting transmitted to the cabin and the hands were vibrating in similar way
3. While braking at the speed of 80KMPH the car does not hold onto itself and was swinging like a boat
4. Even at the speed of 60KMPH, i have a boat like feeling
5. I cannot remember the time from when but i can recall that while going over even small speed breakers at the speed of 20 kmph, the suspension was making a thud sound. This thud sound is not there when i cross the speed breakers at 5 kmph.

Please also note that neither tyres have been changed nor the suspension. They are still running on Stock MRF ZVTV. Rear two tyres have got worn out from inside because the service centre did not do wheel rotation on time. These were earlier part of front wheel

Request members to please help here. Also if someone could pitch in with an approximate cost of repairs, it would be icing on the cake. Based on the inputs on the forum and the final advice from the service centre, i will either keep or dispose off the car.

Please help
Old 18th November 2014, 11:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevy Spark: 29k kms and excessive vibrations

1) Check tire pressure
2) Take car to a reputed tire shop and do wheel balancing
3) Check suspension components
Old 18th November 2014, 12:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

This seems to do more with the Wheel.

Do a wheel alignment/balancing from a reputed place.
Also, insist on a tyre rotation.
Follow the below chart for the same:

"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-index.jpg

Also, get the steering rack checked. Sometimes, the steering column may develop some play and needs a replacement.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 13:19   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Boat like feeling? Check shock absorber's especially rear ones. The expressway being built from concrete has joints spaced every few meters and with weak shocks the car tends to bounce rhythmically.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:44   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Check & Replace:

1. Suspension Lower Arm
2. Ball joints
3. Shock Absorbers
Old 18th November 2014, 17:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
1) Check tire pressure
2) Take car to a reputed tire shop and do wheel balancing
3) Check suspension components
Many thanks for your advice sir. Tyre pressure is adequate as i keep on getting these checked. The wheels are perfectly balanced because while i am driving, the car does not tend to pull in a different direction. I am also contemplating the idea of getting the shocks changed as well as the tyres replaced. As i mentioned in my post that service centre did not do a wheel rotation on time, the tyres got worn out unevenly. Also would like to mention that after i bought my ritz, chevy was rarely being used for almost a year. It was simply parked for a long time with rarely being used once in 15 days.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
This seems to do more with the Wheel.

Do a wheel alignment/balancing from a reputed place.
Also, insist on a tyre rotation.
Follow the below chart for the same:

Attachment 1309992

Also, get the steering rack checked. Sometimes, the steering column may develop some play and needs a replacement.

Sir, i am afraid that tyre rotation will not work at all coz the two rear tyres are worn out from inside and very little thread left on the inner side of rims. In case i go for tyre rotation, i will have to replace two tyres at least.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Sir, i am afraid that tyre rotation will not work at all coz the two rear tyres are worn out from inside and very little thread left on the inner side of rims. In case i go for tyre rotation, i will have to replace two tyres at least.
Dear Su1978

In that case, please get the tyres replaced ASAP.
No fun in playing with you and your loved ones life at all, considering that you are taking the car on an occasional highway run.

Assuming you are on a budget, you can consider the Goodyear Ducaro Hi Miler and refer to this post I had created a while back for your reference:

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum...ml#post3576494

Best wishes and do the needful at the earliest!!
Old 20th November 2014, 14:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Su1978

In that case, please get the tyres replaced ASAP.
No fun in playing with you and your loved ones life at all, considering that you are taking the car on an occasional highway run.

Assuming you are on a budget, you can consider the Goodyear Ducaro Hi Miler and refer to this post I had created a while back for your reference:

Best wishes and do the needful at the earliest!!

Hi Arnab, i checked with the service advisor at Chevrolet workshop and he confirmed that this can be due to any of the following reasons
1. Tyes worn out
2. Suspension problem
3. Out of the 4 cylinders, one cylinder is not working and this is causing the vibrations

I have ruled out the last option coz the FE figures are around 15/16 KMPL. My drive includes less of city and more of highway type driving. I use the Gurgaon-Faridabad toll road daily. Hence speed(70-80) coupled with saftey is utmost importance.

Also someone suggested that since tyres have got worn out on the inside, please get them reversed(worn part outside and the good part inner side). But this did not appeal to me as the risk would still be there.

But my another question is what is the normal life of a tyre. AFAIK, it is not more than 3-4 years and if the car is sparingly used, bubbles develop.

One more issue that i faced is if i try to change the front tyres of my car, even after removing all the bolts, i cannot pull out the tyres because they get jammed in the wheel hub. This is an unusual phenomena which i have never seen in any car. i once had a flat tyre and had to drive all the way to a repair shop who eventually hammered the flat tyre out to repair it. I also want to know why does it happen.

Any idea and a way out.
Old 21st November 2014, 10:21   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Hi Arnab, i checked with the service advisor at Chevrolet workshop and he confirmed that this can be due to any of the following reasons
1. Tyes worn out
2. Suspension problem
3. Out of the 4 cylinders, one cylinder is not working and this is causing the vibrations

But my another question is what is the normal life of a tyre. AFAIK, it is not more than 3-4 years and if the car is sparingly used, bubbles develop.

One more issue that i faced is if i try to change the front tyres of my car, even after removing all the bolts, i cannot pull out the tyres because they get jammed in the wheel hub. This is an unusual phenomena which i have never seen in any car. i once had a flat tyre and had to drive all the way to a repair shop who eventually hammered the flat tyre out to repair it. I also want to know why does it happen.

Any idea and a way out.
Hi Su

Life of a tyre is dependent on a no. of factors.

1) Age of the tyre
2) Environmental conditions of the place you reside
3) Roads you generally ply on
4) Rubber compound of the tyres
5) Running of the car
6) Tyre Profile
7) Brand of the tyre used

So, effectively, if you have the car for a week end use and the running is low, the tyre disintegrates in atmospheric conditions.

In you r case, I strongly feel the change of tyres may help matters.

I have a car at home used by my father, Use is sparingly. 8 years + and yet to touch the 30K mark.

All tyres have completely disintegrated and have been changed. So, effectively, the tyre life was sub 30K.

Some tyre manufacturers use harder compound to prolong tyre life.
Few examples:
1) Godyear Ducaro Hi Miler
2) Ceat MILAZE

Some have softer compounds but silent tyres. They wear our quicker than the above:

1) Michelin Energy/XM2
2) Bridgestone B290 etc

With refrence to your question regrading the tyre bolts:

"There's a trick to freeing a stuck-on wheel that almost never fails. You already have the lugs removed, but now reinstall them leaving about 5 turns before they start to get snug. Now lower the car to the ground, get in and start it up. Drive back and forth 4 or 5 feet a few times. Now jack the car up and test the wheel. It should be nice and loose now, ready for you to replace with your spare so you can move on down the road."

(Source: http://autorepair.about.com/od/quick..._lug_break.htm)

Hope that answers your queries.
Old 22nd November 2014, 21:30   #90
BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Hi all, got my Sparky checked at the service centre. They checked the car thoroughly and the service advisor informed me that he will get the suspension checked. The following were the outcome of his thorough investigations
1. The tyres had got worn out from one side
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_1654.jpg
2. Diagnosed the suspension mounts to be the main culprit. The main reason he said that due to climatic conditions and also since the vehicle was parked for long durations without any significant movement, the suspension mounts along with the suspension bearings had worn out and hence needed replacements.
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_1651.jpg
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_1661.jpg
Attachment 1311272
The worn out mounts had also caused th front two tyres to get worn out from inside.
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_1659.jpg
He also informed me that since the suspension mounts were worn out the car was giving a boat like feeling.

The service advisor wanted to check the brakes also as i had also reported the issue of vehicle pulling onto one side. After inspection he reported that the Brakes calipers were broken due to which the brakes on one side were more worn out than the other. Hence they also needed replacement.

Replaced the brake pads as well.
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_1660.jpg
After all this was done. Since this was a paid service as well at 29000 kms, the following points were also covered
1. Fuel injector cleaning
2. Spark plug replacement
3. Brake bleeding & cleaning

After all this, he asked me to get the tyres replaced. Visited the nearest tyre shop and replaced the stock MRF ZVTV with Faulken ones. New ones came with 5 years unlimited warranty. Touchwood, the car is driving brilliant now without any pulling and touching the speed of 90 KMPH was a breeze without any stress on engine. The road undulations were handled well and i again got a feeling of driving a brand new vehicle.
su1978 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks