Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 06:54   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ok, that changes things.

Remove the front Rogerab pads and test if the vibration

If it persists, you need to check the disks on a good lathe for wobbles/runout.

Will try both the above suggestions!

I presume you are not confusing what you are describing, with ABS related vibrations. You did mention it happens on bad / poorly surfaced roads (though I can't figure out why you'd want to drive at 100+ kmph on bad roads).

Sorry if this sounds very basic but is there any specific method to identify ABS related vibrations ?
What I meant bad/poorly surfaced roads was actually those stretches of highways which suddenly show up as patches and it is exactly in such stretches when I slow down do I feel the vibrations!

All Brembo pads are not ceramic racing brake pads. At the same price, VW OE pads may be as good as/better than anything else.

Yes I read up upon that !

Anyways thanks again for your suggestions sir !
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 17:41   #197

2004 Lancer steering rack shake and leak

Hi all,

The steering on my Lancer does a shudder every time I go over some hump or rough patch. There is a clear correlation between the specific uneven feature on the road to the shake in the steering wheel.

At high speeds, this translates to a continuous shudder / robust vibration of the steering wheel.

This problem has been around for a while (> 2 years) and about a year back, when I'd left it at a garage for service, I'd asked him to check this problem. When taking the car back, he said he's fixed the problem, and later I realized that the steering has become slightly heavier than earlier. I called him and he said that his 'fix' was to tighten something (not sure exactly what) and this would reduce the vibration.

Now I don't want to get the problem correctly fixed. So I scoured the forums for information on this kind of a problem and found lots of posts. I also left the car a couple of weeks back at Pride Cars in Banashankari (which I found favorably mentioned at a couple of places in the forum) to look into the problem and suggest a solution.

Pride Cars says that the rack is worn out and is also leaking a little bit (not sure exactly where from). He said it would be next to impossible to find a new steering rack to replace the worn one, and the only hope is to remove it and get it repaired (machined in a lathe). He was confident that this would work out fine and would cost ~8K for the machining itself. He said he also checked other parts of the suspension and steering and everything else is fine.

Kindly advise on whether this is the recommended course of action for this problem. Or is it possible that the steering rack of some other model of passenger car would fit onto the Lancer? Do advise.
lancer_gypsy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 10:03   #198
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2004 Lancer steering rack shake and leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_gypsy View Post
The steering on my Lancer does a shudder every time I go over some hump or rough patch. There is a clear correlation between the specific uneven feature on the road to the shake in the steering wheel.

Pride Cars says that the rack is worn out and is also leaking a little bit (not sure exactly where from). He said it would be next to impossible to find a new steering rack to replace the worn one, and the only hope is to remove it and get it repaired (machined in a lathe). He was confident that this would work out fine and would cost ~8K for the machining itself. He said he also checked other parts of the suspension and steering and everything else is fine.

Kindly advise on whether this is the recommended course of action for this problem. Or is it possible that the steering rack of some other model of passenger car would fit onto the Lancer? Do advise.
lancer_gypsy mate this is a known issue in older cars with hydraulic steering. Overtime the steering rack and pinion start wearing out and leaks hydraulic oil. If hydraulic oil starts leaking you will find that you have to put more effort to turn the steering. There was a similar issue in my Lancer and I got it resolved by repairing the steering rack about 3 years back, that time it costed me about 6.5K including labour. So far I have faced no issues whatsoever. Mitsubishi Lancer is a robust car and parts used are built to last, so I would suggest you to repair the same instead of spending thousands for buying a new one.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 15:49   #199

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Thank you, navin_v8.
This is a confidence booster.
I'll go back to Pride Cars and ask them to get it repaired for me.
Does anyone here know of any other trusted, reliable source to get this kind of repair done? Thanks in advance!
Old 1st November 2016, 13:45   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_gypsy View Post
Hi all,

The steering on my Lancer does a shudder every time I go over some hump or rough patch.....
I doubt if there's anything wrong with the steering itself. Always look at the wheels (and tyres) first before blaming the steering.
Recently a friend of mine had the exact same issue on his Figo and was diagnosed to a slightly out-of-shape front tyre. The tyre deformation was very subtle and could be seen only during rotation on a wheel balancing machine. The front tyre was swapped with the rear one to solve the issue. Simple!!

Last edited by Chewbacca : 1st November 2016 at 13:49.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 15:05   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I doubt if there's anything wrong with the steering itself. Always look at the wheels (and tyres) first before blaming the steering.
Thank you for this tip. But in my case, it's very definitely the steering, there's a perceptible shake in the steering column that's transmitted to the steering wheel. Multiple mechanics have reached the same conclusion, that there's a play in the steering rake, with a bit of oil leak also.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:13   #202
BHPian

Car Vibration On Hard Braking

MODS, please merge with correct thread. Have found one thread, but closed.

Hello Guys, Need your advice.

My BMW 3 GT has clocked 8000 km in 16 months. Yesterday took her for a 200 km highway trip (self was away from home & drove the car after 5 long months). Car is used weekly by my family & driver both in the city & on highway. Hence you can say car is not kept idle for a long time. My driver did not feel anything before.
iDrive car brake status shows brake pad renewal after, Rear = 32,000 km & Front = 36,000 km.

While mild / hard braking on speed above 75 km/hr, noticed whole car is vibrating or shaking. I can feel the vibration is in fwd-aft direction or in the direction of travel. Very light vibration is transmitted to steering & brake pedal as well, but overall car vibration is more. Braking performance remains good as always.

Today morning tried to inspect the brake disk with great difficulty (due to the alloy design), but got confused altogether. Please see photos below for front & rear brakes. There is a significant gap between the pad & disk at front. But rear brake pads are too close to the disk (or may be touching at the corner). If you see rear photos closely, you will notice the rear brake pad looks little tilted compared to front pads. Rear disk is smaller than front disk. Hand brake was NOT on. Have started the engine & pressed the brake pedal few times, no change in position.

What may be the problem ? Premature worn-out of pads ? or uneven disk surface ? Did not notice any deep grove or scratch on the disk.

Kindly advice if you have any experience on above problem. I don’t want to contact BMW prior I am sure about the real problem.

Sorry for the poor photos. Don’t be confused by the shadow on brake disk, those are from alloy wheel design.

FRONT BRAKE
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2819.jpg"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2820.jpg
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2822.jpg"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2828.jpg
"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2829.jpg"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2821.jpg

REAR BRAKE = look closely the position of pad & disk

"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2826.jpg"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2823.jpg"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-img_2824.jpg
Old 21st November 2016, 12:34   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Vibration On Hard Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
MODS
While mild / hard braking on speed above 75 km/hr, noticed whole car is vibrating or shaking. I can feel the vibration is in fwd-aft direction or in the direction of travel. Very light vibration is transmitted to steering & brake pedal as well, but overall car vibration is more. Braking performance remains good as always.
Based on these symptoms I would say you have a warped brake disc. Most likely at the rear, if it was the front the vibration would be very (more) pronounced coming through the steering wheel.

You have to take the wheel of and check the rotor with a micrometer. A run out of as a little of 0.05mm is enough to cause (very) noticable vibration.

http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/brake-...ions-answered/

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:12   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My BMW 3 GT has clocked 8000 km in 16 months. Yesterday took her for a 200 km highway trip (self was away from home & drove the car after 5 long months). Car is used weekly by my family & driver both in the city & on highway. Hence you can say car is not kept idle for a long time. My driver did not feel anything before.
iDrive car brake status shows brake pad renewal after, Rear = 32,000 km & Front = 36,000 km.

idrive depends on electrical contact to determine whether the pads need replacement or not. It only knows whether there is material on the pad or not.

The vibration you mention sound like warped brake rotors. If there is even a slight vibration in the steering when braking and only when braking it means warped front rotors. Get those changed. I've had the same replaced in my new Crysta for the same reason when under 10,000Km of usage.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 20:11   #205
BHPian

Thank you Jeroen & Shankar for your valuable inputs.

Done BSI earlier this year, but only basic . I don’t think it will come under warranty. I am sure they will go for complete replacement of the rotor and pad (may be), rather than rectification by machining. Any suggestion on how to avoid recurrence? Really worried about the future of the car (if this keeps on coming) or something I am doing wrong on her up keeping.
Old 21st November 2016, 20:25   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My BMW 3 GT has clocked 8000 km in 16 months
Can you share Year / Month of Manufacture and Year / Month when you bought the Car? Your mileage is too low for disks getting bad. If there was a considerable difference in Manufacturing and your purchase date and the car was sitting somewhere for a while this can be an issue. You can in that case demand replacement, BMW is supportive in such cases. Otherwise, you can buy a BSI pack if you don't have one already and try to get a change. But it will be best if you first take opinion from your dealership.

Quote:
I don’t want to contact BMW prior I am sure about the real problem.
Don't worry, BMW is quite supportive and so are their Dealers. Go for a Test drive with your dealer at earliest.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st November 2016 at 20:28.
Old 21st November 2016, 22:47   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure they will go for complete replacement of the rotor and pad (may be), rather than rectification by machining. Any suggestion on how to avoid recurrence? Really worried about the future of the car (if this keeps on coming) or something I am doing wrong on her up keeping.
If somebody else pays for it, obviously get everything replaced. If you are required to pay, I would suggest to check the options.

You need to establish why the rotors become warped in the first place. What is typically known as warped ( and thus causing the vibration) could actually be run out problem or a surface glazing problem.

Check this link for some information on both and how to prevent:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ke-rotors-warp

good luck!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st November 2016 at 22:48.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:26   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you share Year / Month of Manufacture and Year / Month when you bought the Car? Your mileage is too low for disks getting bad. If there was a considerable difference in Manufacturing and your purchase date and the car was sitting somewhere for a while this can be an issue. You can in that case demand replacement, BMW is supportive in such cases. Otherwise, you can buy a BSI pack if you don't have one already and try to get a change. But it will be best if you first take opinion from your dealership.
Dear Tarbanator,

My car is manufactured on 25th Feb 2015 at Dingolfing. Dispatched from Chennai on 5th June 2015. Done PDI in the first week of July. Took delivery at Kolkata on 22 July 2015. View this is a CKD route car, I think this time frame is acceptable. I have BSI Basic, but same does not cover brake pads & disks. I knew my car will be a low running, hence did not opt for that. However BSI Basic can be upgraded to BSI Plus by paying the difference amount. Informal notification was done last night to my SA. Now let see how things goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Check this link for some information on both and how to prevent:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ke-rotors-warp
good luck!
Jeroen
Dear Jeroen

Thank you for the link, quite informative. Other than low running, can’t see any fault in my part. After car washing, I even move the car up & and down quite few times to avoid water accumulation & rust powder generation on the rotor disks. Will head for the dealers this week & will find out the real cause. If material defects, I think I will go for up-gradation of BSI to Plus, as this might come back again.

Shall keep you guys posted & thank you once again for your support.

Brdgs
Sail
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:47   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This normally means slight warping in the discs. If you have warranty coverage, insist the discs be replaced. Or at best if that can't be done, get them skimmed so that they are level again.

Had the same issue in my V40 a while ago. Pads still have lots of life left but the same vibration occurred at moderate-high speeds.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:34   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Took delivery at Kolkata on 22 July 2015.
Don't worry then, it will be covered under warranty, BMW will never suggest or work on the existing discs.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd November 2016 at 10:44.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks