Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 15:09   #181
BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbull View Post
1. When i press the brake hard, sometimes it shudders
I presume that the shuddering occurred on uneven road surfaces which is quite obvious. If it is otherwise then I'd suggest you to check tire pressure and get a wheel alignment and balancing done with a tire rotation as well. Even if it is unresolved it does no bad to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbull View Post
2. When i move the steering to the right or my left, it has a squeaking sound.
How many kilometers on the odo? Does the squeaking stop when you stop moving the steering wheel immediately? Did you check the PS oil level and belt for wear and tear?
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 17:35   #182
BHPian

How many kilometers on the odo? Does the squeaking stop when you stop moving the steering wheel immediately? Did you check the PS oil level and belt for wear and tear?[/quote]

The vehicle is 61000 kms. I took it to Suraksha yesterday. They verified stating that the steering wheel needs some grease. They have applied and gave it to me. While the noise has stopped, I hope that was the only problem.
Old 15th August 2016, 19:11   #183
Senior - BHPian

My SX4 Zxi has run 62000 km so far with timely maintenance including alignment, balancing and tyre rotation.

4 days back, I started experiencing a steering jerk (to the left) every few meters. The steering rotates slightly to the left, on its own. I need to bring it back to the center and after a few meters (say around 50 m) it would again turn slightly to the left with a jerk.

This happens alike at speeds of 10 kmph and 60 kmph. I am doubting an issue with suspension. Is it so and what exactly can cause this problem? Opinion invited from the experts.
Old 15th August 2016, 21:33   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
My SX4 Zxi.... what exactly can cause this problem? Opinion invited from the experts.
Broken left front wheel bearing / faulty brake pad / electronic power steering motor failure.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 12:47   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Broken left front wheel bearing / faulty brake pad / electronic power steering motor failure.
Or it could be a bent cracked rim. To check
. Jack the car up so that the wheel is free
. Release the hand break
. Examine the rim. If it is bent then that is it
. Else rotate the tyre. If the bearing is gone the wheel will be wobbly and bit loose
. If it is the break pad, then there will be a region where the wheel will be difficult to rotate and a region where it will rotate freely
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 16:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Or it could be a bent cracked rim. To check
. Jack the car up so that the wheel is free
. Release the hand break
. Examine the rim. If it is bent then that is it
. Else rotate the tyre. If the bearing is gone the wheel will be wobbly and bit loose
. If it is the break pad, then there will be a region where the wheel will be difficult to rotate and a region where it will rotate freely
Thanks for your suggestions.

If cause of the problem lies in wheel rim or brake disc / pad, then the vibrations / jerks will repeat themselves at every revolution of the tyre (approximately every 2 m road distance). The jerk I notice repeats at every 50 m approximately. And this distance is not consistent.

This makes me think that it is a bearing related problem or suspension related problem.
Old 16th August 2016, 20:20   #187
BHPian

Honda told me the vibration when I feel on the brake pedal is due to a crack in the steering rack. Prior to this inforinformation I had done the skimming of the rotors and also changed the brake pads. The vibration only happens at high speeds. Can any one help me regarding this. Does the steering rack have any link with the brake rotors. The car is 2010 ivtec with 35000 km on the odo.
Old 16th August 2016, 23:51   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Honda told me the vibration when I feel on the brake pedal is due to a crack in the steering rack. Prior to this inforinformation I had done the skimming of the rotors and also changed the brake pads. The vibration only happens at high speeds. Can any one help me regarding this. Does the steering rack have any link with the brake rotors. The car is 2010 ivtec with 35000 km on the odo.
Looks unlikely.

The vibrations generated in front brakes (uneven rotor thickness) will be felt in the steering too. The vibrations generated in steering rack (excess play) will be felt in steering. But I don't expect the vibrations generated in steering rack to be felt in the brakes.

Please ask HASS to explain their diagnosis.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 06:59   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
...If cause of the problem lies in wheel rim or brake disc / pad, then the vibrations / jerks will repeat themselves at every revolution of the tyre (approximately every 2 m road distance).
A broken bit of brake pad may be occasionally jamming the wheel.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 10:53   #190
BHPian

Hi
I drive a vento Tsi fitted with "ROGERAB" bush in the suspension springs and upgraded tyres 205/55R15. I have clocked about 30000km so far and abt 2500km with the above mods! Recently I've started getting vibrations especially at speeds >100km/h irregularly depending on the road surface ; a couple of instances I could also feel it pretty heavy in the steering wheel !
The vehicle was sent to service as recently as last week and the problem still persists! The SA said that they have cleaned up the discs and pads and that they will be fine until next service and that the pads don't need renewal !
Now that he issue has cropped up so quickly after the service I am thinking of getting the pads or pads&discs changed ! I've enquired about "brembo" here in chennai and their costs seem the same as the OEM ! So am slightly confused as to which one?
Also does that ROGERAB bush have any part to play in this vibration ? Some expert advice please !
Old 20th August 2016, 23:45   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Recently I've started getting vibrations especially at speeds >100km/h irregularly depending on the road surface ; a couple of instances I could also feel it pretty heavy in the steering wheel !

The SA said that they have cleaned up the discs and pads and that they will be fine until next service and that the pads don't need renewal !

I've enquired about "brembo" here in chennai and their costs seem the same as the OEM ! So am slightly confused as to which one?
Also does that ROGERAB bush have any part to play in this vibration ? Some expert advice please !
Vibration at speed while not braking, has nothing to do with brake pads/disks. Check wheel balancing and alignment carefully. Rogerab and other coil spring inserts are known to upset alignment by a small amount, depending on how tightly they were fitted.
Old 20th August 2016, 23:55   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Vibration at speed while not braking, has nothing to do with brake pads/disks. Check wheel balancing and alignment carefully. Rogerab and other coil spring inserts are known to upset alignment by a small amount, depending on how tightly they were fitted.

Hello
Many thanks for the reply ! Sorry I forgot to mention the vibration is only during the braking .Also it tends to reduce if and when I use the brakes intermittently to reduce the speed rather than continuously !
The alignment and balancing were done twice after fitting the Rogerab insert at a pretty reputed and known place !
Anyways I guess I will have to take it one part at a time ! Will renew the pads first and see how it works out ! Any suggestions between brembo & OEM VW ?
Thanks again !
Old 21st August 2016, 00:37   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hello
Many thanks for the reply ! -------snip------
Thanks again !
Before plonking big bucks, go to a neighborhood mechanic and gets the discs skimmed/shaved.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:06   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello
Many thanks for the reply ! Sorry I forgot to mention the vibration is only during the braking .
Ok, that changes things.
Quote:
Anyways I guess I will have to take it one part at a time ! Will renew the pads first and see how it works out ! Any suggestions between brembo & OEM VW ?
Thanks again !
Remove the front Rogerab pads and test if the vibration persists.

If it persists, you need to check the disks on a good lathe for wobbles/runout.

I presume you are not confusing what you are describing, with ABS related vibrations. You did mention it happens on bad / poorly surfaced roads (though I can't figure out why you'd want to drive at 100+ kmph on bad roads).

All Brembo pads are not ceramic racing brake pads. At the same price, VW OE pads may be as good as/better than anything else.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st August 2016 at 09:10.
Old 23rd August 2016, 05:36   #195
BHPian

Need some advice related to my brand new Aspire 1.5 diesel. I've completed 1,000 kms few days back and in these kms I never crossed 80 kmph or revved beyond 2000-2100 rpm.

After completing 1,000 kms, whenever I accelerate the car in 5th gear, there is strong vibration and humming noise felt around 80-85 kmph and after crossing 95 kmph the vibration subsides and the car behaves normally. The vibration is felt in other gears too at nearly the same RPM. I cannot mention the exact RPM because my car doesn't have a tachometer but I guess it to be in the range of 2100-2300 RPM. This happens when I drive spiritedly or even if there is moderate acceleration. Only when I accelerate very slowly, I don't feel the vibration or the humming. Initially this behavior was not noticed in any other gear but now when I revved the car in third or fourth gear, the same humming harshness and vibration is present there too.

Had taken the car to the A.S.S. too but, as usual, they kept the car for a day and mentioned that everything is fine. I even drove their TD car, a top end titanium+ variant, but this problem was not present in their car. According to them, the officials at FORD had instructed the A.S.S to TD a base variant, same as mine, and check whether that car also has the same problem but since the base variant was not available at that time, we could not check it. I don't understand their logic as to how is this related to variant of any car.

They have agreed to call me up whenever they get a base variant for servicing or will have to wait until my first service, which is due at 2500 kms. Let's hope that they can find a solution to this problem or else I'll have to myself raise this issue with FORD.

Can someone please point out as to what could be the problem? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks