Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 21:18   #316
BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Hi Friends, Crossposting from the Honda City thread.

I own a 5th gen City CVT that is just 2 months old and in stock including tyre and has done 2k till now. For the past few weeks I feel a low intensity but high frequency vibrations on the driver side floorboard; especially on my left leg when kept on the dead pedal. It is more like the Engine vibration or Road vibration that gets passed on to the floorboard. I feel this only when the car is in motion and it is pronounced when the road is not smooth.

It is not too bad that my foot lifts up from the floorboard, but this low intensity one is causing a tingling feel on my left foot now. It is like keeping your foot on top of a phone in continuous low intensity vibration mode. I don't know if this was present from beginning and I noticed it only now. I took the car to the Service Centre today and the Technician said this is common in all Cars and not something to worry. He checked the underbody for Engine mount, Wheel damage etc and said nothing is amiss. My earlier car was Manza and I don't remember such a feeling in that car.

May I know if this is common in other Honda City or other low lying cars due to the road undulations felt on floorboard? If not, what troubleshooting can I follow?
Old 1st April 2022, 19:32   #317

Steering vibration while braking on a Skoda Rapid

I own a 2021 model Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI AT. Today I felt the steering vibrate only when I was braking and it appears to be worse at around 40 KMPH. It was on a smooth highway and faced this through out the drive of around 2 hours. What could be the issue?
Old 1st April 2022, 23:51   #318
BHPian

Re: Steering vibration while braking on a Skoda Rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineFirst528 View Post
I own a 2021 model Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI AT. Today I felt the steering vibrate only when I was braking and it appears to be worse at around 40 KMPH. It was on a smooth highway and faced this through out the drive of around 2 hours. What could be the issue?
Please inspect brake pads and respective discs. I'm guessing they could be worn out.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 00:12   #319
BHPian

Re: Steering vibration while braking on a Skoda Rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineFirst528 View Post
As it is a fairly new car, the most probable cause if the tyre balancing.

In my 2010 Safari, I tried many things to solve the steering vibrations around 50 to 60 km/hr speed and in the end it was found to be coming from the tyres, they were 70 k kms old when the first symptoms appeared. Replaced all four and the vibration was gone. For me balancing reduced the frequency of vibrations but didn't eliminate it completely.
I am around 80% sure that it could be due to balancing and alignment issues in your car.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd April 2022 at 02:22. Reason: Spacing.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 00:24   #320
BHPian

Fellow members, I own a preowned 2010 Toyota Fortuner with 95K Kms on the odometer. It only gets serviced at Toyota ASC's (Madhuban Toyota Kurla) since they've taken very good care of the car right from the beginning. The car was last serviced in January 2022 and the issue that I faced was post 100 Km/Hr and on braking, the steering used to vibrate a lot and while I spoke to my service advisor, he said it could be attributed to two reasons-1)The brake discs need to be skimmed(so they were skimmed) and 2)Ball joints might have some play and correctly enough, they found a little bit of play in my LHS inner ball joint. My SA said both the ball joints will have to be changed and can be done during my 1 Lakh service, which will be due in June. Is there any other component that needs to be checked as well?

Regards
Old 14th September 2022, 17:44   #321
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I just got my car’s rotors skimmed and also got new brake pads installed on my car. After that while I was driving back home I could notice 2 issues with the car.

1. Brake pedal pulsating even at low speeds.
2. Steering wheel vibrating/shake while braking. This as well occurs at low speeds.

What could be the issue? Is it due to brake bed-in?

I called the service advisor as this was happening. He says as you drive the car more, it will get better or go away. I have driven the car only for 20 kms after the change of the pads.
Your valuable information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th September 2022 at 17:56. Reason: Adding paragraph breaks
Old 14th September 2022, 17:59   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO28 View Post
1. Brake pedal pulsating even at low speeds.
2. Steering wheel vibrating/shake while braking. This as well occurs at low speeds.
You need to get it checked, it is unusual to have such issues after a brake job.

Brake pedal pulsating and steering wheel shake means there is something way off, either they have not fitted the disk back properly OR it was a really bad skim job. Just show it once to the workshop (if the conversation was over call with advisor).
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 18:06   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You need to get it checked, it is unusual to have such issues after a brake job.

Brake pedal pulsating and steering wheel shake means there is something way off, either they have not fitted the disk back properly OR it was a really bad skim job. Just show it once to the workshop (if the conversation was over call with advisor).
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I spoke to him over a call while I was returning home from the workshop. I guess I should make another visit tomorrow to the workshop in order to get this sorted.
Just for information, the car in particular is the Innova Touring Sport. This brake pad change and skimming was done at a Bosch service centre and not at the A.S.S.

Thank you.
TURBO28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 09:44   #324

Gypsy steering being wobbly

Hi, my 2009 mpfi gypsy has this weird steering wobble.

What I mean by "wobble": the wheels tend to move back and forth in the left-right(lateral) direction without any input from steering wheel.

Observed at speeds as low as 50kmph.

Wheel alignment (and balancing)done recently.

Other observations:

1) steering wheel play Is approx 20 degrees.
2) slight oil leakage from steering gear.

3)I opened up the front RH axle to change kingpin bearings, and wheel hub bearing. I noticed there's one shim on top kingpin but no shim on btm kingpin. Will removing shim(and thus preloading KP bearing more) help remove this wobble?

4) I tried out the RH tie rod end with hand. Its movement is jerky. Should It be smooth?

Thanks!
Old 7th October 2023, 10:32   #325

TATA Nexon Vibration around 115+Kmph after 5th service

Hi All,

Could you please help to let know the possible reasons for Vibrations in the vehicle at 115+Kmph speeds.
Tata Nexon Oct-2021 model. XZ+ Petrol.

After 5th service 2 weeks back, in which tyre rotaion, Balancing and alignment along with Major service items are done.
this Vibration issue started to occur after that.

Service centre is trying only Wheel balancing again, which did not help.

Any other common root cause available so that they can fix it.

Thanks & Regards,
Nathan JP
Old 7th October 2023, 12:42   #326
GTE
BHPian

Re: Gypsy steering being wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
Hi, my 2009 mpfi gypsy has this weird steering wobble.

What I mean by "wobble": the wheels tend to move back and forth in the left-right(lateral) direction without any input from steering wheel.

Observed at speeds as low as 50kmph.

Wheel alignment (and balancing)done recently.

Other observations:

1) steering wheel play Is approx 20 degrees.
2) slight oil leakage from steering gear.

3)I opened up the front RH axle to change kingpin bearings, and wheel hub bearing. I noticed there's one shim on top kingpin but no shim on btm kingpin. Will removing shim(and thus preloading KP bearing more) help remove this wobble?

4) I tried out the RH tie rod end with hand. Its movement is jerky. Should It be smooth?

Thanks!
Swap tyres rear to front & check.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 10:09   #327
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Nexon Vibration around 115+Kmph after 5th service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPN_Liv2D View Post
Hi All,

Could you please help to let know the possible reasons for Vibrations in the vehicle at 115+Kmph speeds.
Tata Nexon Oct-2021 model. XZ+ Petrol.

After 5th service 2 weeks back, in which tyre rotaion, Balancing and alignment along with Major service items are done.
this Vibration issue started to occur after that.

Service centre is trying only Wheel balancing again, which did not help.

Any other common root cause available so that they can fix it.

Thanks & Regards,
Nathan JP
This is definitely tyre balance/alignment problem. Get the balance and alighnment checked at a reputable tyre shop.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 20:30   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This is definitely tyre balance/alignment problem. Get the balance and alighnment checked at a reputable tyre shop.
Sure Thanks for the suggestion. As they already tried in Service centre twice. Can check possibly with MRF tyredrome once.

Already there is alignment issues, but that is less priority for me than this Vibration issue, as it impacts the confidence.
Old 11th November 2023, 07:35   #329

Re: Front end wobble at very low speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Recently I have started experiencing a peculiar problem with my Vento TDI which is 55K KMS old. While driving at very low speed, say within my apartment complex / office or crawling up to a red light / pulling out on a green, I feel a wobble at the front end of my car, particularly the front right side. The best way I can explain it is the feeling you have when your tire has a puncture and low tire pressure or when you are crawling along a very uneven surface. Its as if the car tumbles. However once I pick up speed the ride flattens out. But it reappears once I get back to crawling speed. It cannot be the surface cause I am experiencing it in different locations, be it the butter smooth concrete surface or some well surfaced tar road, I get this distinct wobble on the front side when I am doing 10 -15 KMPH. Its as if the front right side bottoms out a bit and comes back up. Let me list a few pointers that will aid people understand the issue better
  • Experiencing the wobble only at crawling speed on smooth surface
  • Wobble happens only at crawling speed, say 10 - 15 KMPH. Ride flattens out at cruising speed
  • Front suspensions were replaced with factory ones just 3500 Kms ago
  • After a suspension change, I replaced all the tires with Continental 205/55/15 and they too are just 3500 KMS old
  • Checked for air pressure, maintains a solid pressure on all 4 wheels over 2 week intervals, puncture cannot be a cause (atleast not the only cause)
  • Just checked for alignment again this weekend, nothing is wrong, the garage ran the wheel over a road force balancer and couldn't find any issues either

I ran a google search on the problem and the probable cause varies from Tire separation to bent wheel. I am quiet worried about this as I do frequent highway runs. Though I keep the care under 3 digit speeds, my confidence level is low cause I dont want to suffer a tire blow out or anything. I dont trust the monkeys at VW to solve such issues, they cant even get the basics right. Any feedback on what the problem could be and where in Bangalore I can take my car to, to get this sorted out, will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help folks.
I am facing this very exact problem with my Tata Nexon right now! Infact I'm in the same boat on not being able to trust the Tata service folks to exactly troubleshoot & fi my issue. How were you able to solve it finally for your vento?
Old 11th November 2023, 21:24   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPN_Liv2D View Post
Sure Thanks for the suggestion. As they already tried in Service centre twice. Can check possibly with MRF tyredrome once.
ASCs typically aren't good with wheel balancing and alignment. It's not their area of expertise. As the other BHPian pointed out, find a good tyre shop in your city that has solid expertise in this area . Road force balancing would be ideal than standard balancing ; follow it up with the alignment. This done together, should help fix your problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks