Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 14:37   #226
BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So update, I went to Harvinder & Kumar after checking the directory section. Kumar wasn't available but Harvinder suggested that the steering shake only at 100-110+ suggests a wheel balancing issue and maybe even alignment.

He asked me to visit a petrol pump where Sanjay (his goto person for wheel balancing & alignment issues) would be available and he'll check what the problem is.

Turns out that even after getting all 4 tyres balanced at Galaxy Toyota (Okhla) they needed to be balanced again (this within 2 weeks). Yes, all 4 tyres needed balancing in spite of the fact that they were balanced at Toyota, and front tyres were balanced twice!

However, the state of machine used by this Sanjay wasn't very confidence inspiring. He put a whole lot of weight on the tyres till the machine was satisfied. The weights he used also looked bad, either too shiny or used & dirty so I'm not very convinced with the quality of stuff used, not to mention his machine's calibration.

As per this guy Sanjay, 99% of the times, steering shake at high speeds is an issue due to wheel balancing. If this didn't work he suggested I go visit a mechanic.

BUT, the steering shake has reduced significantly, though there is still a slight shake. I took the car upto 110-120 and the very slight shake remained but it increased a little when I switched lanes. So steering shake is increasing with steering input at high speeds.
Since the Steering shake has reduced with balancing it does mean that it is the wheels / tyres which were the culprit. It would be best if you can replace your front tyres with some other Fortuner's for testing and check.

Harvindar, Kumar are my regular mechanics and I go to Sanjay for Alignment, but not for balancing because of his antique wheel balancing machines. I would suggest you get the rear tyres properly balanced at a good machine and put them in the front and check.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 8th August 2017 at 14:38.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:46   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Since the Steering shake has reduced with balancing it does mean that it is the wheels / tyres which were the culprit. It would be best if you can replace your front tyres with some other Fortuner's for testing and check.

Harvindar, Kumar are my regular mechanics and I go to Sanjay for Alignment, but not for balancing because of his antique wheel balancing machines. I would suggest you get the rear tyres properly balanced at a good machine and put them in the front and check.

Styler
Thanks Styler! Your post was very helpful as I'll be going to Harvinder to get a kill switch for my Fortuner, you know how theft prone it is in NCR. He seemed confident of doing the job and folks like you have rated him an outstanding car electrician.

Since re-balancing reduced the problem I guess better to get them balanced elsewhere before taking the car to Galaxy Toyota. 500 bucks that Sanjay charged pinch a little, especially when it didn't resolve the problem completely. The way my car was put up using jack on axle and then the kind of weights he was using, I'll probably never go to him again.

I came across this post and most likely will be visiting the Balancing guys who have this state of the art equipment. Will keep you all posted.
Old 9th August 2017, 11:53   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Styler! Your post was very helpful as I'll be going to Harvinder to get a kill switch for my Fortuner, you know how theft prone it is in NCR. He seemed confident of doing the job and folks like you have rated him an outstanding car electrician.

Since re-balancing reduced the problem I guess better to get them balanced elsewhere before taking the car to Galaxy Toyota. 500 bucks that Sanjay charged pinch a little, especially when it didn't resolve the problem completely. The way my car was put up using jack on axle and then the kind of weights he was using, I'll probably never go to him again.

I came across this post and most likely will be visiting the Balancing guys who have this state of the art equipment. Will keep you all posted.
I think you don't really need a kill switch in the modern day cars as they have a chip embedded in the key. The ECU will let the car be operated only with the Key with the chip. So only way to steal these vehicles is with the original key, and no other way.
Old 9th August 2017, 11:57   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you don't really need a kill switch in the modern day cars as they have a chip embedded in the key. The ECU will let the car be operated only with the Key with the chip. So only way to steal these vehicles is with the original key, and no other way.
While we're off-topic on this but trust me when I say this, jacking a Fortuner needs 5 min tops.

In fact even a kill switch is not enough so I'll most likely be getting a Concox GT06, gear lock as well as a clutch lock.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:42   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
^^ Damaged as in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Can also be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Recently I have
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
You can check...
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi fine69...
Glad to report that the problem has been resolved, that too 100%!

150+ and the car was rock solid, absolutely no steering shake, not even the slightest.

How you ask, three words - Hunter Engineering Company.

Without going into too many details let me just say that before you touch suspension or steering please rule out wheel balancing for steering shake and/or tyre wobbling issues.

Hunter has some state of the art wheel balancing and alignment equipment. Please look for shops where they use Hunter products and you may not go elsewhere for balancing & alignment, ever!

For what its worth and what I'd also been hearing all along, if there is steering shake at "high speeds only", its most likely going to be a balancing issue.

Don't even touch alignment or anything else until balancing is ruled out and rule it out only after you've gotten it done on the likes of Hunter wheel balancers.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 15:17   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One more place in south Delhi that exclusively uses Hunter equipment sourced from Madhus - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...gar-delhi.html.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:36   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to report that the problem has been resolved, that too 100%!

150+ and the car was rock solid, absolutely no steering shake, not even the slightest.

Without going into too many details let me just say that before you touch suspension or steering please rule out wheel balancing for steering shake and/or tyre wobbling issues.

Hunter has some state of the art wheel balancing and alignment equipment. Please look for shops where they use Hunter products and you may not go elsewhere for balancing & alignment, ever!

For what its worth and what I'd also been hearing all along, if there is steering shake at "high speeds only", its most likely going to be a balancing issue.

Don't even touch alignment or anything else until balancing is ruled out and rule it out only after you've gotten it done on the likes of Hunter wheel balancers.
So where did you get the balancing finally done ? Try to post a review and contact information here or in the NCR Directory. It will be of use to others.

So Harvinder, although he is an Electrician gave you the right advice that you need to first get wheel balancing done. That is what I like about them, they give sincere advice and will never do anything which is not required.

BTW where could you drive at 150+. I needed to check the top speed of my Scorpio but never found empty roads around Delhi to do it.

Last edited by Styler : 9th August 2017 at 15:43.
Old 10th August 2017, 15:54   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So where did you get the balancing finally done ? Try to post a review and contact information here or in the NCR Directory. It will be of use to others.
I've posted a short review of Pirelli Tyre Point in the NCR directory.

I have Noida as well as Yamuna expressway very near to my workplace so a quick 5-10 second window on these roads helped me test my car.
Old 31st October 2017, 14:15   #234
BHPian

Swift Vxi - Strange issue engine vibration at idling

This is really a strange issue which is pulling my nerves.

Car: Swift Vxi 2008 model - all stock
Kms: 60K

I observe that there is vibration (visible and observable) inside the cabin when the car is idling for the past week. There is no fixed pattern to this vibration. I observe it more during the morning run (cold start).

Chronology of events:
1. Tyre replacements from stock MRF to Pirelli cinturato P4 on 14-Oct-2017
2. Regaular service done on 20-Oct-2017 at ambal automobiles in Tiruchegode
2a. There was an engine oil leak issue, which prompted the SA to replace the o-ring and use some sealant to fix the issue
3. Drove to bangalore (~250kms) no issue on 21-Oct-2017
4. Engine vibration at idle observed in 23-Oct-2017 at traffic signal stops

Some more observations
1. Vibrations are more pronounced with AC on
2. With mild acceleration, the vibrations are gone
3. There is thud thud sound at the exhaust.
4. This issue is observed only at the gear in neutral. 1st and 2nd gear has slight reduced power. 3,4,5 gears are absolutely normal.
5. The rpm drops from 800rpm to 600rpm during these instances.

I had a visit to the service center and spoke to the technician. Though he agreed to the vibrations being present, he could not find out why it is happening. The engine check light is not ON/blinking. Hence he advised to run it for some more time and come back if the problem persists. His theory is that there could be some dust in the idling sensor which might need some cleaning. I am not able to completely buy in his theory.

Need your advise on the next steps.

P.S: I could not find any suitable thread related to this topic. Hence starting new one. Kindly merge if one already exists.
Old 31st October 2017, 14:23   #235
BHPian

Re: Swift Vxi - Strange issue engine vibration at idling

Did they clean throttle body during the service?
By looking at the behavior, looks like issue with throttle position sensor.
You can also check online for symptoms of a failing/bad TPS. Yours look similar to that.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 15:19   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Or your problems could be totally unrelated to the events you have posted.

It could be failing engine mounts. Please get them checked.

Regarding the dropping RPMs, it can either be electrical issue or fuel management issue. I would like the spark plugs and the distributor points to be cleaned. This can also be the TPS or the IAC valve issue as another member suggested.

First attend to the RPM issue and see it the vibration resolves. Else, they could be unrelated events, unfortunately raising heads at the same time.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 31st October 2017 at 15:26.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 15:25   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Check the spark plugs, IAC(Idle Air Control) Valve, Throttle Body, EGR(if its equipped with), TPS and as BHPian Saket said, the mounts too, including those of the exhaust pipe. The issue will be in one of these for sure, specially the IAC and EGR.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 31st October 2017 at 15:27.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 15:39   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
I observe that there is vibration (visible and observable) inside the cabin when the car is idling for the past week. There is no fixed pattern to this vibration. I observe it more during the morning run (cold start).
Please check if the car complies to what others have pointed out.
My take would be to check the ignition coils, spark plugs and clutch.
I don't think you might have changed the coils over the years. And this component does get weak in conducting electricity over time and it depends. Try swapping the ignition module from another car with the help of ASC technician and check.
If you haven't changed the plugs for a long time, changing it is anyways good for the engine.
Depress the clutch pedal at idle and check if the vibes reduce. If yes a minor tweaking in the clutch setting could bring about a change.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 31st October 2017 at 15:40.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 15:50   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, how old is the battery?? A weak battery or the one on its last legs can cause such an issue.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 16:27   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Also, how old is the battery?? A weak battery or the one on its last legs can cause such an issue.
The battery is new, changed in the month of June 2017 (Amaron).
rajakumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks