Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 17:12   #241
BHPian

Re: Swift Vxi - Strange issue engine vibration at idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It could be failing engine mounts. Please get them checked.

Regards,
Saket.
Sounds like the engine mounts and ac idler pulley might need replacing. I own a Jan 08 Swift Vxi which has done 1.5 lac km so I feel qualified by experience to dish out advice. Be warned that I've made the wrong diagnosis more than once.

Last edited by Roy.S : 31st October 2017 at 17:13.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 17:09   #242
BHPian

You can try one of the additive that can be added to fuel. I had same problem in my diesel logan. I used an additive for diesel - liqui moly super additive for diesel. The idling unpredictable vibrations have disappeared.
Avoid opening up your car components unless absolutely needed
Old 1st November 2017, 18:02   #243
BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Hello to the fellow members.

From the last 5-6 months, I am facing a strange wobbeling post 110KMPH. The vibration can only be felt by the person who is driving. The problem persists even after alignment of all tyres. The car is butter smooth till 110 KMPH. The suspension is also in good state. I haven't got the balancing done yet.

The car in qustion is a 2010 Hyundai Accent, clocked 72000 KMs, with MRF ZV2Ks in the front and BRIDGESTONE S322s in the rear. Also, I have encountered a tyreburst in June 2016 (Front Right).

What can be the issue?
Old 1st November 2017, 18:24   #244
BHPian

I guess the first thing Ry_der you should do it wheel balancing. That should address high speed vibrations to a large extent.
Second, get the rims/alloys checked for any bends or deformities. Get this sorted if needed.
Third, as the front tyres and rear tyres are different pattern and i guess also they would be new/old - see if swapping front n rear wheels make a difference.
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:34   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Hello to the fellow members.

From the last 5-6 months, I am facing a strange wobbeling post 110KMPH. The vibration can only be felt by the person who is driving. The problem persists even after alignment of all tyres. The car is butter smooth till 110 KMPH. The suspension is also in good state. I haven't got the balancing done yet.

The car in qustion is a 2010 Hyundai Accent, clocked 72000 KMs, with MRF ZV2Ks in the front and BRIDGESTONE S322s in the rear. Also, I have encountered a tyreburst in June 2016 (Front Right).

What can be the issue?
Minor wheel imbalance or engine mountings seem to be the culprits, if the vibrations persist at all speeds beyond 110. If the vibration is for a narrow band, say 110 to 130 and stops after that then resonance of suspension is suspect.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:26   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the dropping RPMs, it can either be electrical issue or fuel management issue. I would like the spark plugs and the distributor points to be cleaned. This can also be the TPS or the IAC valve issue as another member suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Check the spark plugs, IAC(Idle Air Control) Valve, Throttle Body, EGR(if its equipped with), TPS and as BHPian Saket said, the mounts too, including those of the exhaust pipe. The issue will be in one of these for sure, specially the IAC and EGR.
Thanks folks for the enlightenment. Found that the one of the cylinder was not firing and hence the vibrations. Cleaning the spark plug fixed the issue. The car is back to normal.
rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:45   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
Thanks folks for the enlightenment. Found that the one of the cylinder was not firing and hence the vibrations. Cleaning the spark plug fixed the issue. The car is back to normal.
Thanks for the update. But was the spark plug not firing at all? How come one particular plug was so dirty with deposits? Check for inconsistency in deposits with other spark plugs. If one plug is particularly dirty, it can point to other issue.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:12   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. But was the spark plug not firing at all? How come one particular plug was so dirty with deposits? Check for inconsistency in deposits with other spark plugs. If one plug is particularly dirty, it can point to other issue.

Regards,
Saket.
Sure, will check this point with the technician. However I am told that this probably might have been the side-effect of the previous service (done two weeks back) during which for the oil leak they had sealed the joints. They might have introduced some loose connections.
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:29   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
Sure, will check this point with the technician. However I am told that this probably might have been the side-effect of the previous service (done two weeks back) during which for the oil leak they had sealed the joints. They might have introduced some loose connections.
Where exactly was the leak? Which gasket was replaced?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:12   #250
BHPian

I have a 2009 Honda City (ANHC) that I bought used recently. It's got 57k kilometers on the clock. I can almost 'feel' the bumps and the steering wheel moves when I go over a bump. The steering itself is not as light as I expected (had a Brio earlier) and feels heavier than even a 2012 Skoda Superb at low speeds. Also, when the car goes over a speed breaker or any bumps at even 10-20km/hr the front suspension makes a pretty loud squeaking noise. I talked to the dealer that I bought it from and he said the bushings need replacement and the tires need to be aligned and balanced.

My question - will replacing bushings and getting alignment & balancing done solve the issue or could something else be wrong with the car?

Thanks in advance

PS - I have checked the tires (they still have a couple of years left in them) and got the brake linkages replaced already.

Last edited by AnInternetUser : 17th November 2017 at 20:14. Reason: Added additional details
Old 18th November 2017, 10:46   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
I have a 2009 Honda City (ANHC) that I bought used recently. It's got 57k kilometers on the clock. I can almost 'feel' the bumps and the steering wheel moves when I go over a bump. The steering itself is not as light as I expected (had a Brio earlier) and feels heavier than even a 2012 Skoda Superb at low speeds. Also, when the car goes over a speed breaker or any bumps at even 10-20km/hr the front suspension makes a pretty loud squeaking noise. I talked to the dealer that I bought it from and he said the bushings need replacement and the tires need to be aligned and balanced.

My question - will replacing bushings and getting alignment & balancing done solve the issue or could something else be wrong with the car?

Thanks in advance

PS - I have checked the tires (they still have a couple of years left in them) and got the brake linkages replaced already.
Feeling "Bumps" is due to worn out shock absorbers. You can check that easily. Press each corner of the car firmly down. Once it goes down, release it. If it rises fast and oscillates a bit the the shock absorbers are due for replacement.

It is best to replace all the rubber parts in suspension at this stage.

The hard steering may be due to low air pressure in the tyres. If that is not the case then you will have to get the whole steering assembly checked and lubricated.
Old 21st November 2017, 16:52   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Feeling "Bumps" is due to worn out shock absorbers. You can check that easily. Press each corner of the car firmly down. Once it goes down, release it. If it rises fast and oscillates a bit the the shock absorbers are due for replacement.

It is best to replace all the rubber parts in suspension at this stage.

The hard steering may be due to low air pressure in the tyres. If that is not the case then you will have to get the whole steering assembly checked and lubricated.
Shock absorbers seem fine. I will replace the rubber parts ASAP.

Using the correct tire pressure + getting alignment & balancing done helped a LOT with the steering feel. It feels normal now.

Thanks!
Old 12th January 2018, 20:30   #253
BHPian

Steering rattling/ play

Hi,

I have a Ford Fiesta 2010 diesel, done about 38k, still running on stock tyres, I had tried to ask this query in a Ford Fiesta thread, but didn't get a response, hence this thread here, mods pls help to merge this thread with any similar existing thread, pitting this up from mobile , the search with rattle of steering didn't give anything relevant.

The Ford SA asked us to change the tyres urgently, I was not around, was not convinced as the tyres were very good in depth and had got them checked at a tyre shoppe also.

Strangely once we got the car back , I noticed a wierd steering behaviours at speeds above 80, there is clockwise anti clockwise play in the steering at if moves on its own in short movements continuously, there is no problem with the alignment, the car drives straight, only thing out of place is the wierd play and continuous movement of the steering, which used to be rock solid earlier, will getting the tyres changed fix this, or something else has to be fixed as well.

Sincere apologies to everyone for this repeat query
Old 12th January 2018, 21:56   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Steering rattling/ play

8 years and 38k means the running is very less and the tyre has developed flat spots. That’s the cause of steering wobbling.

That said. Please change your tyres irrespective of thread left. Ideally a tyre is ‘old’ after 5 years. Apart from getting stranded on road, it’s an important safety issue too.
Old 12th February 2018, 20:34   #255
BHPian

Steering vibration on full lock

I found a weird issue with my 2016 figo Tdci. Today, in the middle of a three point turn with the steering on full lock towards the right I found mild vibrations in the steering wheel. This only occurred on full lock at standstill when I applied mild pressure on the steering. As soon as I eased the pressure on the steering wheel the vibration disappeared. The car was absolutely fine when moving and no other abnormal sounds were observed . I could not reproduce the same vibration with the steering fully towards the left at standstill. Is this normal? I do understand that the steering system is under tremendous stress on full lock with the eps motor drawing high amps but is it supposed to vibrate? I have tyres with mismatching tread levels up front due to a puncture, could that be an issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks