Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 10:04   #211
BHPian

Re: Car Vibration On Hard Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Don't worry then, it will be covered under warranty, BMW will never suggest or work on the existing discs.
Sorry for the late reply.

Both fwd rotors and disk pad was the issue. Both fwd rotors and disk pad replaced by BMW under warranty. I had to pay for cleaner & glue (INR 940/-).

What I understand from the technician is that, the disk pads developed some uneven wear & tear, in turn which damaged the rotor surface too.

Initially there was some delay from the dealer’s work-shop due to unavailability of concerned person. With one email to BMW India, matter addressed promptly.

A test drive with work-shop taken with positive outcome. However BMW India promised me that if I notice any issue during my high-way drives, they will certainly address that.

Thank you all for your support & BMW India for their customer friendly approach.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:25   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

I recently got a used 2013 Fortuner 4x4. On speeds above 100 the steering wheel starts vibrating, absolutely no issues at speed below 100.

Now I got around 67k worth of cosmetic and part repair done yesterday at T.A.S.S and the only thing that couldn't be replaced was a slightly damaged link rod (right side).

The SA said that even with that slight damage I can continue to use the car since the part may take 2-3 days to arrive but also added that Fortuner & Innova do have a slight steering shake at speeds above 100 kmph (which I think is not right).

Do I simply wait to get the link rod repair done as it looks like the probable culprit. Any thoughts from Fortuner owners on steering shake at high speeds?
Old 31st July 2017, 16:21   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Damaged as in, bent, or worn out?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:02   #214
Senior - BHPian

Can also be due to front wheel balance out. Check all the wheels if not done already.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:10   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not sure. I just left the car with them and didn't investigate further. The SA called and said that I should get it replaced and since its a used car I didn't want to take any risk and have decided to get it replaced.

The only thing he said was that I could continue using the car for another week or two without any worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Can also be due to front wheel balance out. Check all the wheels if not done already.
I got balancing (all 4) and alignment done so I doubt its an issue unless a weight may have fallen off.

I'm waiting to get the link rod replaced but would be very surprised if even that doesn't resolve the issue. I can't think of anything else causing it.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 17:58   #216
BHPian

Front end wobble at very low speed

Recently I have started experiencing a peculiar problem with my Vento TDI which is 55K KMS old. While driving at very low speed, say within my apartment complex / office or crawling up to a red light / pulling out on a green, I feel a wobble at the front end of my car, particularly the front right side. The best way I can explain it is the feeling you have when your tire has a puncture and low tire pressure or when you are crawling along a very uneven surface. Its as if the car tumbles. However once I pick up speed the ride flattens out. But it reappears once I get back to crawling speed. It cannot be the surface cause I am experiencing it in different locations, be it the butter smooth concrete surface or some well surfaced tar road, I get this distinct wobble on the front side when I am doing 10 -15 KMPH. Its as if the front right side bottoms out a bit and comes back up. Let me list a few pointers that will aid people understand the issue better
  • Experiencing the wobble only at crawling speed on smooth surface
  • Wobble happens only at crawling speed, say 10 - 15 KMPH. Ride flattens out at cruising speed
  • Front suspensions were replaced with factory ones just 3500 Kms ago
  • After a suspension change, I replaced all the tires with Continental 205/55/15 and they too are just 3500 KMS old
  • Checked for air pressure, maintains a solid pressure on all 4 wheels over 2 week intervals, puncture cannot be a cause (atleast not the only cause)
  • Just checked for alignment again this weekend, nothing is wrong, the garage ran the wheel over a road force balancer and couldn't find any issues either

I ran a google search on the problem and the probable cause varies from Tire separation to bent wheel. I am quiet worried about this as I do frequent highway runs. Though I keep the care under 3 digit speeds, my confidence level is low cause I dont want to suffer a tire blow out or anything. I dont trust the monkeys at VW to solve such issues, they cant even get the basics right. Any feedback on what the problem could be and where in Bangalore I can take my car to, to get this sorted out, will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help folks.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th August 2017 at 18:21.
Old 6th August 2017, 20:29   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
...On speeds above 100 the steering wheel starts vibrating, absolutely no issues at speed below 100.

The SA said that even with that slight damage I can continue to use the car since the part may take 2-3 days to arrive but also added that Fortuner & Innova do have a slight steering shake at speeds above 100 kmph (which I think is not right).

Do I simply wait to get the link rod repair done as it looks like the probable culprit. Any thoughts from Fortuner owners on steering shake at high speeds?
Quote:
...have decided to get it replaced.

The only thing he said was that I could continue using the car for another week or two without any worry.

I'm waiting to get the link rod replaced but would be very surprised if even that doesn't resolve the issue. I can't think of anything else causing it.
http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/gr/...ring-gear-link

You can check above link for the parts.

"My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-steering-link-fortuner.png

It is mostly this tie rod part play that must be causing it (45503). There usually happens play in the ball joint of this which is why the unstability experienced at high speeds.

Experienced it first hand in an Innova. Innova and Fortuner share quite a bits common, this being one of them.

The symptoms were same, was attributed to play in this upon all inspections and were duly replaced. Upon replacement, the problem has vanished till date.

Also to note, although the problem / severity of play may be in one of tie rods, the pair is replaced in totality.

You can surely drive in controlled speeds even with the play, there is no issue with it. However, better get it replaced and good that you are getting it done.

Do update experience once replacement done.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 12:10   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
It is mostly this tie rod part play that must be causing it (45503). There usually happens play in the ball joint of this which is why the unstability experienced at high speeds.
Link rod replaced (the rotatory motion was not smooth), front wheels balanced again but problem persists.

The SA has called me on Sunday for he can drive the vehicle at 100+ and suggest the next steps.

Its a little weird of him asking to drive the vehicle first when he should be asking around how they've resolved similar issues in the past.
Old 7th August 2017, 13:18   #219
Senior - BHPian

Hi fine69,

The disc brakes need to be skimmed as there are many reasons, why they need skimming for your car symptoms.

I had my Fortuner's discs skimmed and the problem was resolved.

Happy Motoring!!
Old 7th August 2017, 13:44   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The part that was replaced looked more like 45047 with 2 ball joints, they called it Link Rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
The disc brakes need to be skimmed as there are many reasons, why they need skimming for your car symptoms.
I got new brake discs as well as new pads just 2 weeks back. I don't think it'd be skimming related, especially because the shaking (side-to-side movement) starts only at speed above 100-110+, absolutely no shake when braking.

Quote:
Look for a broken wheel bearing, a loose / worn out tie-rod end or a loose steering box.
Quoting from the initial post, I also had some rubber part changed in the overall steering assembly for which they had to take out the steering and put it back in.

The engine check, engine traction and VSC lights were on when I went to take a delivery so they connected it to OBD and deleted them. So far no new light has popped up but maybe something to do with steering box and maybe it wasn't put together properly?

Another thing I want to mention is that the Fortuner went for a pre-purchase inspection where they diagnosed a ball joint damage to link rod. Then when it went for the 1,00,000 km service they again pointed out that the link road was damaged (though I knew about it earlier only) so question arises that is it easy to locate the link rod ball joint damage compared to a tie-rod related problem?

Today when I touched 110 I decided to take it to 120 to see if the shaking increases or decreases but it got severe and scary that I immediately brought it down to 80 and carried on.

I think the problem is now either tie-rod related (assuming they weren't able to check it during 2 inspections) or something to do with steering box because they did replace that rubber part and then few lights came on so maybe something wasn't put together right.

EDIT: If someone knows an expert in South Delhi area who could help in diagnosing this better please let me know. The SA's advice of waiting till Sunday for open roads sounded a little stupid when I'm clearly telling him what the problem is. Is it better to take my car to another Galaxy Toyota branch? They've got 3 branches in South Delhi.

Last edited by fine69 : 7th August 2017 at 13:51.
Old 7th August 2017, 17:15   #221
BHPian

Re: Front end wobble at very low speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Recently I have started experiencing a peculiar problem with my Vento TDI which is 55K KMS old. While driving at very low speed, say within my apartment complex / office or crawling up to a red light / pulling out on a green, I feel a wobble at the front end of my car, particularly the front right side. The best way I can explain it is the feeling you have when your tire has a puncture and low tire pressure or when you are crawling along a very uneven surface. Its as if the car tumbles. However once I pick up speed the ride flattens out. But it reappears once I get back to crawling speed. It cannot be the surface cause I am experiencing it in different locations, be it the butter smooth concrete surface or some well surfaced tar road, I get this distinct wobble on the front side when I am doing 10 -15 KMPH. Its as if the front right side bottoms out a bit and comes back up. Let me list a few pointers that will aid people understand the issue better
  • Experiencing the wobble only at crawling speed on smooth surface
  • Wobble happens only at crawling speed, say 10 - 15 KMPH. Ride flattens out at cruising speed
  • Front suspensions were replaced with factory ones just 3500 Kms ago
  • After a suspension change, I replaced all the tires with Continental 205/55/15 and they too are just 3500 KMS old
  • Checked for air pressure, maintains a solid pressure on all 4 wheels over 2 week intervals, puncture cannot be a cause (atleast not the only cause)
  • Just checked for alignment again this weekend, nothing is wrong, the garage ran the wheel over a road force balancer and couldn't find any issues either

I ran a google search on the problem and the probable cause varies from Tire separation to bent wheel. I am quiet worried about this as I do frequent highway runs. Though I keep the care under 3 digit speeds, my confidence level is low cause I dont want to suffer a tire blow out or anything. I dont trust the monkeys at VW to solve such issues, they cant even get the basics right. Any feedback on what the problem could be and where in Bangalore I can take my car to, to get this sorted out, will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help folks.
Folks, any help on this one, pretty please
Old 7th August 2017, 18:16   #222
Senior - BHPian

my contribution to this thread - my indica has vibes at high revs in top gear. it was diagnosed a faulty compressor bearings. the AC is still functional, so I have been living with those vibes for several years now. they go away when the AC is turned off
Old 7th August 2017, 18:45   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Link rod replaced (the rotatory motion was not smooth), front wheels balanced again but problem persists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
While driving at very low speed, say within my apartment complex / office or crawling up to a red light / pulling out on a green, I feel a wobble at the front end of my car, particularly the front right side.
For both of you, I'd suggest a quick test - swap the front wheels and check.
Quote:
EDIT: If someone knows an expert in South Delhi area who could help in diagnosing this better please let me know.
Check the directory section for the FNG of Ayub & Imtiaz at GK2 M-Block Market.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 23:04   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The part that was replaced looked more like 45047 with 2 ball joints, they called it Link Rod.
45047 would be the Tie Rod Ends.
See if you can ask them to investigate if there is excessive or reasonable play in the Tie Rods 45503, the ball joint in the tie rod can develop quite a bit of play sometimes, can be cause for such issues.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:15   #225
Senior - BHPian

So update, I went to Harvinder & Kumar after checking the directory section. Kumar wasn't available but Harvinder suggested that the steering shake only at 100-110+ suggests a wheel balancing issue and maybe even alignment.

He asked me to visit a petrol pump where Sanjay (his goto person for wheel balancing & alignment issues) would be available and he'll check what the problem is.

Turns out that even after getting all 4 tyres balanced at Galaxy Toyota (Okhla) they needed to be balanced again (this within 2 weeks). Yes, all 4 tyres needed balancing in spite of the fact that they were balanced at Toyota, and front tyres were balanced twice!

However, the state of machine used by this Sanjay wasn't very confidence inspiring. He put a whole lot of weight on the tyres till the machine was satisfied. The weights he used also looked bad, either too shiny or used & dirty so I'm not very convinced with the quality of stuff used, not to mention his machine's calibration.

As per this guy Sanjay, 99% of the times, steering shake at high speeds is an issue due to wheel balancing. If this didn't work he suggested I go visit a mechanic.

BUT, the steering shake has reduced significantly, though there is still a slight shake. I took the car upto 110-120 and the very slight shake remained but it increased a little when I switched lanes. So steering shake is increasing with steering input at high speeds.

Given that Fortuner has hydraulic steering I was told by someone that some shake may always be there. I'm not sure if that's true, is it? This shake increases with minor bumps at 110-120+ which I can believe to certain extent but why would it increase while switching lanes on smooth tarmac, unless that's how Fortuner's steering works.

Quote:
For both of you, I'd suggest a quick test - swap the front wheels and check.

Check the directory section for the FNG of Ayub & Imtiaz at GK2 M-Block Market.
Thanks for your input. I did check the directory section and ended up at Harvinder's place.

Given that wheel balancing has reduced the shake shouldn't I just rotate all 4 tyres and check again? Or do I get them balanced at some place with state of the art machinery - lasers and stuff so that they are balanced accurately & alignment is top notch.

Quote:
45047 would be the Tie Rod Ends.
See if you can ask them to investigate if there is excessive or reasonable play in the Tie Rods 45503, the ball joint in the tie rod can develop quite a bit of play sometimes, can be cause for such issues.
Since balancing has had an impact I'd most likely get them balanced at a better place and if that still doesn't work, I guess I'll have no option but to take this to Galaxy Toyota and get the tie rods inspected for excessive play.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks