Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:18   #151
BHPian

Re: Help ! My car vibrates at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Ok. I think you need to look at the engine mounts.

One more query:
Let the engine idle while the car is i neutral. At the time, keep the clutch pedal pressed. Now, do you see notice the vibrations?
Yes, there is no change in either the frequency or the intensity of the vibrations even after pressing the clutch pedal. Looks like the clutch may not be teh culprit but at 45k on the clock, I think there is a fair chance it might be due to the clutch plate.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:34   #152
Senior - BHPian

This looks like purely engine mount problem. There is always a vibration at lower RPM, and that is damped by the rubber mounts. In your case the mounts are either loose (rarely) or most probably gone soft due to oil splashes and/or weathering.

The surest way to check is to open the bonnet and with engine off try to shake the engine left/right and up/down. If the engine moves easily it is the mounts.

. With faulty spark plugs or dirty throttle body, you will have less power and sluggish acceleration. FE will go down drastically.
. With faulty clutch there will be no vibration in neutral but a lot when you depress the clutch.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:24   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This looks like purely engine mount problem. There is always a vibration at lower RPM, and that is damped by the rubber mounts. In your case the mounts are either loose (rarely) or most probably gone soft due to oil splashes and/or weathering.
With faulty clutch there will be no vibration in neutral but a lot when you depress the clutch.
That is what is causing the confusion. The vibration increases when I depress the clutch in the first gear, but then the vibration is still prominent (though not as bad as it on depressing the clutch in the first gear) in neutral.
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
Yes, there is no change in either the frequency or the intensity of the vibrations even after pressing the clutch pedal. Looks like the clutch may not be teh culprit but at 45k on the clock, I think there is a fair chance it might be due to the clutch plate.
Good.
When the engine is running with car in neutral and clutch pedal pressed down, the input shaft of the gearbox is not running. Still you have vibration, means that they are not from the gearbox input pinion or bearings. They are also not from the clutch. So, it comes to engine mount.

If the clutch plate is due for replacement, you can know from the folllwing:
  • Engage the third gear when the car is standstill. Gradually release the clutch like you do in the first gear. Clutch is ok if the car stalls. If the car starts moving forward slowly (crawls forward), the clutch plate is worn.

Also, the worn clutch will decrease your fuel efficiency. The car will need higher engine rpm (compared to "ok" clutch) for the given road speed.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:41   #155
Senior - BHPian

If the problem has not yet been identified to your satisfaction, may I suggest that you take the time to make a quick video of your issue?

Get someone else to point a camera at the engine and show us what happens with the clutch depressed and with the clutch on standby.
Old 4th January 2016, 08:30   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is what is causing the confusion. The vibration increases when I depress the clutch in the first gear, but then the vibration is still prominent (though not as bad as it on depressing the clutch in the first gear) in neutral.
Yes, when torque is transferred to the driveline, you need mounts to control the judder. When engine mounts are shot, then vibration will increase when you use the clutch.
Old 4th January 2016, 09:40   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2013 Swift Petrol with 45k on the clock. Lately, I have been noticing vibrations in the car while it is idling. The RPM stays between 800-900 with and without the AC in use.
A Swift petrol is usually quite a smooth motor at idle, as opposed to a diesel. Whatever is causing the engine to noticeably vibrate at idle needs to be looked into first. It's something internal to the engine (misfiring), and perhaps not related to engine mounts or clutch.
Quote:
This vibration gets even worse during the first few seconds of engaging the first gear.
Depressing the clutch pedal loads up the engine further, which is likely to be causing the vibrations to increase.
Quote:
Now there is a mechanic near my place in Rohini, who says it "could be" the clutch plates but I dunno whom to trust.
Not likely to be the clutch assembly - would expect the vibrations to get worse with higher rpm.
Quote:
...if anyone knows a mechanic who knows his onions, I would really appreciate a reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...new-delhi.html - Imtiaz ought to be able to help, but he's located across the town at the other end from where you live.

Would also recommend you go through this thread.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th January 2016 at 09:43.
Old 4th January 2016, 11:08   #158
BHPian

I agree. It could be something else. In case this may be of any help, this is what the rpm was after 5 mins of idling. "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451885497.574142.jpg

It was a cold start and I guess the auto-choke kicked in but as the engine got to its required temperature, the RPM fell back to I guess somewhat close to 750. Could this be the issue ?
Old 4th January 2016, 11:35   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a cold start and I guess the auto-choke kicked in but as the engine got to its required temperature, the RPM fell back to I guess somewhat close to 750. Could this be the issue ?
For a warmed-up engine without the AC running, this looks fine. Does the rpm go up when you turn on the AC?

Edit: Does the rpm needle fluctuate while idling?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th January 2016 at 11:38.
Old 4th January 2016, 11:36   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
For a warmed-up engine without the AC running, this looks fine. Does the rpm go up when you turn on the AC?
Nope. This is how it stays even with the AC switched on.
Old 4th January 2016, 12:43   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. This is how it stays even with the AC switched on.
For a petrol, the ECM should raise the revs by 100-150 rpm when the AC compressor is running. Something is wrong here. Get the MASS to do an OBD scan.
Old 19th January 2016, 22:58   #162
BHPian

So finally, I got my car back from Maruti Service Masters in Jehangirpuri. They apparently cleaned the injectors and throttle body and there is quite a positive difference in the vibrations. The SA also assumes the clutch pressure plates would run out in another 5k kms and then once a new assembly is in place, the vibration should be taken care of completely.

Pretty satisfied with MSM and loved how customer centric they are. The equipment they use and the way they managed the entire Centre is wonderful. Definitely recommended to anyone looking for some professional help with their Maruti vehicle.
Old 13th February 2016, 19:27   #163

Ford Endeavour 4X2 3.0 L A/T Brake pedal vibrations

I own a pre-owned Ford Endeavour 2012 model which was run 53,000 kms in May 2015. The brake pedal feels really loose. I gave it for servicing in G.K. Ford, Raipur and was ripped off by them. They replaced the brake master cylinder (which costs 15,000 bucks), front brake pads, front brake rotors but still the problem persisted.

I got the car checked at Sai Ram Ford, Bhilai they did the brake bleeding of all the brakes. The pedal felt a bit better but the problem is not completely gone. The car vibrates a lot when it is braked from speeds like 70-80 kmph.

My request to all the gurus out there. Please give your valuable suggestions to rectify this problem.
Old 14th February 2016, 05:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 4X2 3.0 L A/T Brake pedal vibrations

I would have suggested bleeding the brake lines in the first place as air in the system is primary suspect if the brake pedal needs to be pushed all the way, however after having that attended to, your current issue seems a lot more alarming. Vibrations, if felt at the steering wheel, are a pretty clear indicator that your brake rotors are warped (which you say have been replaced). If you are feeling vibrations at the pedals then have the steering rack checked as well.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 18:14   #165
BANNED

Re: Ford Endeavour 4X2 3.0 L A/T Brake pedal vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsohanpal View Post
I own a pre-owned Ford Endeavour 2012 model which was run 53,000 kms in May 2015. The brake pedal feels really loose. I gave it for servicing in G.K. Ford, Raipur and was ripped off by them. They replaced the brake master cylinder (which costs 15,000 bucks), front brake pads, front brake rotors but still the problem persisted.

I got the car checked at Sai Ram Ford, Bhilai they did the brake bleeding of all the brakes. The pedal felt a bit better but the problem is not completely gone. The car vibrates a lot when it is braked from speeds like 70-80 kmph.

My request to all the gurus out there. Please give your valuable suggestions to rectify this problem.
Ok, here is what I would do, at any competent garage, if I were you.

1. Check the brake system for any other leakages. The wheel cylinders, the brake lines, and the calipers.
2. Check the general tightness of the brake pedal mount, its hinge, spring and swivel.
3. Check the brake shoes at the rear and the trueness of the drums.
4. Check the wheel balance at all four wheels and tie rod ends of the suspension.
5. Check wheel bearings, especially at the front for their condition and free play.
6. Check steering rod knuckles and their grommets for the condition and wear.

All the above steps can be finished in 2-3 hours with 2 mechanics working on the truck on a two post lift and they should help pinpoint the root cause pretty easily. There is a lot more that can be checked if the above steps do not help. Let me know and we can proceed accordingly.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed