Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 22:05   #136
BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Hello everyone. I own a 2011 fiesta. Just a couple of months back, I replaced the front right disc pads with new ones and changed my tyres to MRF ZLOs. Since then, I have been having vibration issues when braking at 100kmph+. The car is known for its stability otherwise. The steering wheel also stays offset to 30 degrees clockwise. I have done both balancing as well as alignment. What could be the issue?
Old 25th October 2015, 20:27   #137
BHPian

Santro AT: Vibrations when transmission is put in reverse

My Santro AT, 2007 model has run 29000 km so far. It is used only for short trips in the city hence the low mileage. Since last 3-4 days when the transmission is put into reverse the car is vibrating a lot. Vibrations are felt on the transmission and brake pedal and also the engine note is very audible indicating vibrations. The car moves on the reverse as usual without any problem though the vibrations are still there while moving into reverse. There is no other (visible) problem, everything else including forward transmission movement and noise during forward movement seems to be as usual, without any vibrations.

I am planning to take it to Hyundai service center at JP Nagar (Kanakapura Road), the one I usually take the car for service. However I am not sure they have technically good people who can do proper diagnosis. I am afraid this might require opening the transmission.

Looking for any clues what the problem might be and information about any better Hyundai service center who have good service engineers for the auto transmission.
Old 25th October 2015, 23:16   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Santro AT: Vibrations when transmission is put in reverse

Hi, since the mileage is very low, please check the engine and gearbox mountings before moving onto the next stage of diagnosis.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:07   #139
BHPian

Reviving this old thread, I am looking for a solution for a noise problem, I own a Vista with 1,30,000 km on odometer.

My Cars Brake Pads / Calipers make lot of gad gad noise while moving over rough patches. This noise penetrates in the cabin and is prominent and continuous when i am not applying brakes. With slight brake pedal push, this noise vanishes. While braking, as pads and caliper become tight due to braking pressure, the noise goes away. This again confirms that this is Brake Pad / Caliper noise.

I tried to fix this problem by changing caliper pins, but after some period it reappears. My car is squeak or rattle free, only this noise is irritating me a lot. Please suggest me permanent solution for this problem.

Other cars also make this kind of sound but it is not that prominent as well as reoccurring.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 25th November 2015 at 15:10.
Old 25th November 2015, 15:10   #140
BHPian

Have you checked the ball joints on the balancing rods and steering ? if these are bad the sound you are mentioning will keep popping up.
Old 25th November 2015, 16:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Have you checked the ball joints on the balancing rods and steering ? if these are bad the sound you are mentioning will keep popping up.
Checked and replaced all bushings and ball joints. Only problem is Brake Caliper which is evident from the circumstances.
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:50   #142
BHPian

Help ! My car vibrates at idle

I have a 2013 Swift Petrol with 45k on the clock. Lately, I have been noticing vibrations in the car while it is idling. The RPM stays between 800-900 with and without the AC in use.

This vibration gets even worse during the first few seconds of engaging the first gear.

I took my car to a MASS in Okhla and they said that a Injector and Throttle Body cleaning was required. Not much to my surprise, everything was still the same.

After a friend's reference, I took it to a mechanic called Irfan at a MASS in Badli and he said that the spark plugs are burnt and need to be changed. I got it done with high hopes but all in vain.

Now there is a mechanic near my place in Rohini, who says it "could be" the clutch plates but I dunno whom to trust.

A clutch plate assembly is going to cost me both time and money so before I get it done, I really look forward to some advice or if anyone knows a mechanic who knows his onions, I would really appreciate a reference.
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:05   #143
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help ! My car vibrates at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
I have a 2013 Swift Petrol with 45k on the clock. Lately, I have been noticing vibrations in the car while it is idling. The RPM stays between 800-900 with and without the AC in use.

This vibration gets even worse during the first few seconds of engaging the first gear.

I took my car to a MASS in Okhla and they said that a Injector and Throttle Body cleaning was required. Not much to my surprise, everything was still the same.

After a friend's reference, I took it to a mechanic called Irfan at a MASS in Badli and he said that the spark plugs are burnt and need to be changed. I got it done with high hopes but all in vain.

Now there is a mechanic near my place in Rohini, who says it "could be" the clutch plates but I dunno whom to trust.

A clutch plate assembly is going to cost me both time and money so before I get it done, I really look forward to some advice or if anyone knows a mechanic who knows his onions, I would really appreciate a reference.
Hi DeepeshKarnik,
Sorry to hear about the problem you faced. Few queries:
  1. After cleaning the throttle body and the injectors, what is the idling rpm now? Is idling rpm stable (observe few minutes after the cold start)?
  2. Start the engine and open the bonnet. See if the entire engine is vibrating or shaking. If the engine mounts (rubber mounts that fix the engine to the body) are degraded, you can notice this symptom).
  3. Also stand on the side of the car and ask someone to release the clutch gradually in the first gear. Observe if the entire engine is vibrating. Observe if the whole engine moves or shakes a little. Do this safely in an empty space. This too indicates a problem with engine mounts.
  4. With open bonnet, check if the vibrations are coming from the gearbox.

The above tests will help to know if the problem is within the gearbox or with the engine mounts.

If you find it difficult to check, take help of some mechanic / SA.
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:08   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Injector and Throttle Body cleaning...
.... spark plugs are burnt.... ....
"could be" the clutch plates...
Since there is a judder even at idle, I would rule out clutch plate issue.

Apart from the work done above, you need to check:
  • Ignition Coil.
  • O2 sensor
  • Engine & Gearbox foundation.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:13   #145
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely no improvement after the injector and throttle body cleaning? Check the engine and gearbox mounts as well as the O2 sensor. Too early for ignition coil failure or any of the above things you mentioned. Definitely not an issue with the clutch to safely rule out any issue with the clutch plates, you can try this method: try lugging the engine; slot it into 4th at low speeds around 30-40km/h and floor the accelerator if you notice any clutch slippage only then you need to worry about the clutch otherwise don't bother with such an expensive replacement.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd January 2016 at 14:16.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:31   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi DeepeshKarnik,
Sorry to hear about the problem you faced. Few queries:
  1. After cleaning the throttle body and the injectors, what is the idling rpm now? Is idling rpm stable (observe few minutes after the cold start)?
  2. Start the engine and open the bonnet. See if the entire engine is vibrating or shaking. If the engine mounts (rubber mounts that fix the engine to the body) are degraded, you can notice this symptom).
  3. Also stand on the side of the car and ask someone to release the clutch gradually in the first gear. Observe if the entire engine is vibrating. Observe if the whole engine moves or shakes a little. Do this safely in an empty space. This too indicates a problem with engine mounts.
  4. With open bonnet, check if the vibrations are coming from the gearbox.

The above tests will help to know if the problem is within the gearbox or with the engine mounts.

If you find it difficult to check, take help of some mechanic / SA.
Thanks for those tips Rahul,

The idle RPM stays between 800-900 even after the injector and throttle body cleaning.

There are intermittent vibrations in the engine. I can see the engine shaking but I fail to understand what part is at fault. I guess I will have to look for a knowledgeable mechanic or SA to understand what the exact problem is.

Are there any sure shot signs of worn out engine mounts ?

The vibration is not like a very harsh vibration that you'ld feel in a 3 year old diesel car, but yes it is felt through the cabin by the passengers as well.

No such steering or pedal vibrations, it's apparently something else that is vibrating and I am somehow not being able to link it to anything.

Note from Support: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window, to add more contents to it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th January 2016 at 09:42. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
Old 3rd January 2016, 15:47   #147
BHPian

Causes can be many but seems to be an electronic based issue. Why don't you get a scan done? That's the first thing you can do. The exact cause for the given issue could vary in different instances and in different cars. Depends on the kind of vibration, whether it is a judder or jarring type or just a shaky engine due to low rpm kind of vibration or such. Various causes which come to mind are:

1) Faulty sparkers(spark-plugs),
2) Faulty ignition coil/s or their connectors,
3) MAF ( mass air-flow) sensor ( situated on the air filter),
4) O2 sensor,
5) clogged fuel injector,
6) clogged air-filter,
7) ECM issue.
Old 3rd January 2016, 17:21   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for those tips Rahul,

The idle RPM stays between 800-900 even after the injector and throttle body cleaning.

There are intermittent vibrations in the engine. I can see the engine shaking but I fail to understand what part is at fault. I guess I will have to look for a knowledgeable mechanic or SA to understand what the exact problem is.
Ok. I think you need to look at the engine mounts.

One more query:
Let the engine idle while the car is i neutral. At the time, keep the clutch pedal pressed. Now, do you see notice the vibrations?
Old 3rd January 2016, 18:46   #149
BHPian

Check the petrol filter and idle control valve. Both of this can make the car really act weird and vibrate.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:15   #150
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to inspect the engine beds, one or more of which may have worn out. When the car is idling, sit inside and ask someone to clutch and tightly hold the engine bed rubbers one after the other - be very careful about the fan assembly, no long hair or loose clothes. If the vibration disappears or significantly reduces when any one of them is held tightly, there is your problem. Costs a few hundred rupees to replace one.

Since you are in Delhi, take the car to MSM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks