Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 22:38   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_peter85 View Post
Hey guys, I am new to T-BHP.

I have booked a Vento TDI HL, DSG, the facelifted version. Car has already reached Trivandrum, and going for registration today.

Dynavin to be done tomorrow!!

I have had several rounds of TD's of the same car. I just love it!!

Someone please tell me that the issues have been sorted out??

Paul
Well, this thread is the only major one I have seen related to Vento/Polo DSG Issues and as per ahmadnaiks responses here, the issues have been sorted out. So I would not worry too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantu View Post
Hello,

I just got my GT TSI few weeks back. Simply brilliant to drive.

Have driven around 750 Kms, within city. I am also facing jerking issue while downshifting from D3 to D2 (mostly on uphill, with sudden braking). Kind of getting worried after reading this thread. have noticed this at least 3-4 times. This has taken bit of excitement of owning GT.

Is is the expected behavior of DSG?
Shall I wait to run 5k and then see or report to VW right away?

Thanks!
Most people have faced this particular issue and it has been explained as a quirk of the DSG Box. I have driven 20K km in my Vento TSI and still face this jerk under sudden braking. So I think it should be fine.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 03:49   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_peter85 View Post

Someone please tell me that the issues have been sorted out??

Paul
Yes it's been sorted out now. And without trying to sound like I'm being paid by VW to praise them, go for the vehicle blindly. It's enormous fun to drive, and is way ahead of the league in its segment. If you managed to get the facelift version - then you are even more in luck than me - since it adds a few niggles like electronic closing side view mirrors and a much needed Dead pedal. This is a vehicle I can personally guarantee you will instantly fall in love with, and I bet most other Team BHP members will agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantu View Post

I am also facing jerking issue while downshifting from D3 to D2 (mostly on uphill, with sudden braking). Kind of getting worried after reading this thread. have noticed this at least 3-4 times.
Is is the expected behavior of DSG?

Thanks!
Yup. This is something that was happening ever since I purchased the vehicle - and like I've mentioned before, it is an issue with this particular DSG box itself. I am one of those picky drivers that gets easily annoyed with minor disturbances like that, but trust me after a while it will stop bothering you. And if it doesn't, you will certainly realise that it's not worth giving up everything else thats awesome about the vehicle merely because of a small issue like that. Also, it does not happen all the time, only when the automated system incorrectly predicts a gear change.
ahmadnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 13:54   #123

Thanks a lot for your healthy feedback.

She got home day before yesterday. Toffee brown color.

Yes off course mine is the facelifted version. First among the ones to be delivered in Trivandrum, Kerala.

Lucky me!!

Thanks to the two young Sales Executives that I dealt with, plus their crew in support functions until delievery. They answered all my calls without any issue.

Big thanks to Anish Ryan & Sampath from EVM Trivandrum. Also an extended note to Mr. Sathish from the PDA team at EVM.
paul_peter85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 10:27   #124
BHPian

Have a 2013 Vento TSI run around 38,000 km and was facing the jerking issue in 4th, 5th & 6th gear, especially under loads (passengers or acceleration). Global gallerie service centre in Thane did some software update and replaced a transformer (don't know the details here). Did a short test ride today morning. Jerking didn't occur except once under real hard acceleration in D-mode in 6th Gear, none in manual or sports. Hope this doesn't deteriorate. Had to make three visits for this.

Another thing, a service advisor over there asked us to keep the car in neutral over signals or places where we will be idling for a longer period. What could be the reason behind this practise apart from safety of not accidentally bumping the vehicle ahead?
Old 15th September 2015, 13:21   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
Another thing, a service advisor over there asked us to keep the car in neutral over signals or places where we will be idling for a longer period. What could be the reason behind this practise apart from safety of not accidentally bumping the vehicle ahead?
When you are idling in D mode with brakes applied, the car is not in Neutral. Instead, the clutch corresponding to 1st gear is engaged to near biting point and is allowed to slip (similar to applying brakes with half clutch in a manual car). This slip in clutch results in heat generation, which if sustained for a long time can result in clutch wear and heating up of the gear box. When you shift to Neutral, both the clutches are disengaged and hence there is no heat generation or clutch wear. That is why it is recommended to switch to N when stopped for a long time, to increase clutch life and also to avoid gearbox heating issues.

Note: This issue is common to both the 7 speed DQ200 (Polo TSi, Vento TSi, Vento TD DSG, Rapid DSG, Octavia 1.8TSi) and the 6 speed DQ250 (Jetta TDi DSG, Octavia TDi DSG). However, the DQ250 is a wet clutch gear box where the gear box oil dissipates the heat generated and hence the temperature rise and clutch wear is less. DQ200 is a dry clutch gear box and results in a higher heat rise and clutch wear. This is also the reason why there have been lots of failures in DQ200 gearbox in heavy stop/go traffic conditions and also in countries with high ambient temperature.

Last edited by graaja : 15th September 2015 at 13:22.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 15:10   #126
BHPian

Quote:
the clutch corresponding to 1st gear is engaged to near biting point and is allowed to slip
Yes I can feel that more in the Octavia, may be because of the higher output. I have started shifting to N and lift the handbrake when at signals.

7 speed DQ200 (Polo TSi, Vento TSi, Vento TD DSG, Rapid DSG, Octavia 1.8TSi)
Since the gearbox is the same, Octavia got issues too?
jay3sh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 21:11   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
7 speed DQ200 (Polo TSi, Vento TSi, Vento TD DSG, Rapid DSG, Octavia 1.8TSi)
Since the gearbox is the same, Octavia got issues too?
Yes. Octavia 1.8TSi has the same DQ200 gearbox.

DQ200 is generally considered an unreliable gearbox irrespective of the car it comes with. The occurrence of problems and the type of issues may depend on the car, usage pattern (stop gap traffic vs. highway use) etc. Recently there have been many updates to the gearbox which has resulted in reduction in issues reported (most failures happened before 2012 manufactured cars).

Also, there are many users (in Briskoda.net) who have reported trouble free operation even after 50,000+ miles. So, if you have extended warranty, you should not worry about it and enjoy the performance of the 1.8TSi engine.
Old 16th September 2015, 15:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Also, there are many users (in Briskoda.net) who have reported trouble free operation even after 50,000+ miles. So, if you have extended warranty, you should not worry about it and enjoy the performance of the 1.8TSi engine
Thanks Graaja for your inputs. Extended warranties are in place, infact we have spent a bomb on the insurance and Skoda shield package. We narrowed down on the octavia irrespective of having issues in another VW group car for the same reason, 'performance!'. We could have chosen a safer option like a Toyota or another Hyundai (Have had three problem free ownerships). Self driven automatic was our primary criteria and the Autoboxes from other manufacturers in this price range don't even come close to the experience offered by these Germans, no offence intended here.

Cheers!
jay3sh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 17:38   #129
BHPian

Okay - just got word from the Volkswagen Technical Advisor that there is a new update released on the 16th of September. This update solves has general improvements and claims to solve the rare, but noticeable 2nd to 3rd gear change jerk that almost every user of the DQ200 gearbox has experienced... I should probably be taking my car within the week to try it out - will give post a review after I've used the updated vehicle for a while.
ahmadnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:36   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
Okay - just got word from the Volkswagen Technical Advisor that there is a new update released on the 16th of September. This update solves has general improvements and claims to solve the rare, but noticeable 2nd to 3rd gear change jerk that almost every user of the DQ200 gearbox has experienced... I should probably be taking my car within the week to try it out - will give post a review after I've used the updated vehicle for a while.

Thanks for the update. Does this software update include for Skoda Rapid diesel DSG too?
Old 30th September 2015, 18:09   #131
BHPian

Some more useful update on the DSG issue if the software update doesn't work for someone: http://www.vwfansclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=12674#p12674
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 15:34   #132
BHPian

Software updated. Done about 500kms since update. The 3-2 jerks have reduced - but now there seems to be another jerk that happens around 1-2. The engine rev matching has increased with the latest update, and everytime the car shifts up- there's a very slight increase in speed as well. While this is good for hard acceleration - it's terrible when you're in traffic. Admittedly, like most of the jerking issues I've faced, it is sporadic and not entirely predictable - but it's certainly there.

This thing has gone on for so long now - that I'm trying to ignore it now - since the solution seems almost unattainable. I love the vehicle except for this slight annoyance, and am afraid pursuing it more than I already have will begin to make my attitude towards VW as a whole negative. And I love the car - so don't want that to happen. Keeping my fingers crossed though. Experienced 2 major braking jerks in the last 5 days - both extremely harsh and uncharacteristic of any of the previous jerks I've had with the vehicle. My driver was terrified when it happened to him. Written to VW again- not expecting a solution - but I'll keep this thread updated.
ahmadnaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:15   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
Based on your post, visited VW Whitefield here in Bangalore to check on any software updates. Surprisingly, they did have info on the new software update (Normally they do not know anything). Here is the info I got.
  • Software released last week. Targeted to reduce jerks.
  • More relevant for the recent cars (2-6 months) and not for the older models. This sounded weird to me. I would expect such updates to be for older models with the new ones coming with updated software from the factory.
  • Car needs to be left for 2 days with 3/4 tank petrol (ahmadnaik-Is this info correct?). Will be taken on extended road test and jerks if any are observed. Software update will be done only if needed.

I have experienced only the 3-2 jerks on heavy braking. Have a long trip coming up in 2-3 weeks, so do not want to give it now and then take it on long drive immediately. So will target along with the 2nd service in November.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 16:06   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Car needs to be left for 2 days with 3/4 tank petrol (ahmadnaik-Is this info correct?).
No one mentioned anything about a 3/4th tank full of Petrol, and it seems highly unlikely that a full tank or half tank will in any way affect the nature of the update, according to whatever little I do know about the update.

Also regarding the skepticism about the jerks - it is extremely sporadic, so it shouldn't trouble most people who are not picky (unfortunately I am the kind that can detect a pea under a hundred mattresses), so go ahead with your trip. You will love the vehicle on highways as much as the city (if you aren't loving it already that is).
Old 4th October 2015, 16:29   #135
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Car needs to be left for 2 days with 3/4 tank petrol (ahmadnaik-Is this info correct?). Will be taken on extended road test and jerks if any are observed. Software update will be done only if needed.[/list]
I don't understand this. Will the software update harm a car that doesn't jerk?

And if its a software issue, why don't all cars behave the same and they apply new software to all (obviously some may complain and others may not). From this, it looks like a hardware issue, which is being resolved by a software update by slowing things down (maybe only in milliseconds), therefore they don't want to give it to all.

Moreover, a dry clutch is easy to wear-out and damage, and useless testing to recreate a jerk will only eat-up the clutch's useful life.

Customer cars are not for testing! they should be sure of a solution and then apply all or to all those who complain.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks